Back from the June 1 Freedom with the norovirus

debra77797

Just returned home from our Freedom cruise and so far 5 of the 7 have the virus. Been on many cruises and it didn't appear that Carnival did much to avoid the virus. Glad to be home

Did they quarantine you?

We too were on this sailing, luckily none of us got sick. I'm sorry you had such a yucky ending to your trip :(

Did you notice a lot of people sick? We leave Saturday on the Freedom.

Edited by Pattyjo9951

Just returned home from our Freedom cruise and so far 5 of the 7 have the virus. Been on many cruises and it didn't appear that Carnival did much to avoid the virus. Glad to be home

Was this diagnosis confirmed by a doctor?

I'm so sorry to hear you are sick. How do you know it is norovirus? Did the doctor test you for it? Did you go to the infirmary onboard? Were they taking any measures after it was learned that norovirus was present on the ship? You said it didn't appear Carnival did much, but what did they do?

Feel better soon.

No we did not hear of anyone else getting sick but we tend to keep to ourselves. No it was not confirm by a doctor but I am not aware of anything else that affects that many people. Since I got sick on sat night they really didn't get a chance to quarantine us and then the rest of the group started getting sick as soon as we got home.

Also one of our waiters was missing the last couple of nights and we later found out that he was sick but I am not sure what he had.

Thanks for the concern and I truly hope everybody has a great (sick free) trip on the Freedom. Up until I got sick we had a great cruise, good service and great food.

No we did not hear of anyone else getting sick but we tend to keep to ourselves. No it was not confirm by a doctor but I am not aware of anything else that affects that many people. Since I got sick on sat night they really didn't get a chance to quarantine us and then the rest of the group started getting sick as soon as we got home.

Also one of our waiters was missing the last couple of nights and we later found out that he was sick but I am not sure what he had.

Thanks for the concern and I truly hope everybody has a great (sick free) trip on the Freedom. Up until I got sick we had a great cruise, good service and great food.

Sounds like a self diagnosis and you actually have no idea what you had.

And didn't report it so that your cabin(s) could be sterilized.

Good going.

At the very least, you should have informed guest services before you left or something so that the cabins your group stayed in could have been thoroughly sanitized. You don't know what it was exactly - but you do know it spread to your own tight knit group. If nothing else, people that stay in those cabins after you guys may likely become ill. Rather inconsiderate.

Sounds like a self diagnosis and you actually have no idea what you had.

And didn't report it so that your cabin(s) could be sterilized.

Good going.

Last Nov on the Glory my son got sick. I gave him Imodium . Finally he was taken to the infirmary. The male nurse or doctor yelled at us then did what I did. He took his temperature and check his blood pressure, and said yep he has the nor virus and gave him more Imodium. That's what I did! :confused:

They are not the brightest people in the infirmary! I think he had food poison . Why food poison no one else got sick! He was sick for more then 3 days!

Last Nov on the Glory my son got sick. I gave him Imodium . Finally he was taken to the infirmary. The male nurse or doctor yelled at us then did what I did. He took his temperature and check his blood pressure, and said yep he has the nor virus and gave him more Imodium. That's what I did! :confused:

They are not the brightest people in the infirmary! I think he had food poison . Why food poison no one else got sick! He was sick for more then 3 days!

If that doctor didn't take a stool sample, he would have no idea what he had.

And Imodium? I though you wanted the virus out of you. Imodium would Prevent that. Maybe that's why he ended up sick for three days; the Imodium prolonged the illness.

Edited by TPFKAH

Since I was the only one that got sick while we were on the ship I figured it was food poison so I had no reason to report it. Guess I am not perfect.

No reason to report it, yet are wondering why Carnival did nothing to prevent it. Go figure.

I am still wondering what you mean by saying it didn't appear Carnival did much to avoid it? What do you expect them to do to avoid it?

First, it is up to you to wash hands and be smart. Second, if you had reported being sick Carnival could have done something to prevent the next person in your cabin from getting it if it was contagious.

You have no idea if you have Noro or not, and you say you have no idea what else affects that many people. Guess, what? A lot of things - the flu for one. Also, why do you say "that many people". Unless you know otherwise and have not said, you are only speaking for your group. That could be anything.

I am sorry you got sick, but to come on the board and state it was noro and that Carnival did nothing is not the truth. And all it does is start a panic over something that may or may not be true.

Since I was the only one that got sick while we were on the ship I figured it was food poison so I had no reason to report it. Guess I am not perfect.

None of us are perfect. That goes without saying. But your post is about catching an unconfirmed case of noro virus. You didn't say a word to any crew member on the ship about being sick thinking initially it was food poisoning, so I don't know what you expected Carnival to do about an illness they were never made aware of in the first place.

To be on the safe side, it would have been paying it forward to let someone know at the end of your trip. Since the symptoms were synonymous with a contagious illness, your cabin(s) could have been more thoroughly cleaned. And if it turned out to be food poisoning, sobeit.

Hi Debra, sorry to hear u ot sick. Can u please tell us what ur cabin number was.. I'm wiping everything down, lol!!I'm on freedom in a mth. Between the mosquito illness and now noro, I'm ready to jump ship...

Edited by b_cruise

My family was on the June 1 sailing on Freedom. Carnival had hand washing stations near the pools. Also tissue dispensers inside the bathroom exit doors so that you could cover the door handle upon exit of public restrooms. There was hand sanitizer virtually everywhere. There was constant cleaning going on and reminders everywhere to wash your hands. I don't know what else could be done to prevent virus by carnival. I brought wet wipes and hand sanitizer for my family. I sanitized my whole cabin before we "lived" in it for 8 nights. My husband and boys have a cold upon return but that could have been from port or plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP did you stay on the ship the whole cruise? Because if you didn't and actually got off in a port you could have contracted a virus/flu/plague from anywhere. Bit unfair to play the blame game without knowing exactly what you had and definitive proof of where you got it.

Edited by Boof80

Norovirus or not, all stomach viruses are highly contagious. My entire family had such a virus running through our house for 2 + weeks.

I'm sorry you were sick. I'm glad you had an enjoyable vacation up until then.