Slamming Balcony doors!

LTS1960

We are going on the Glory in 5 weeks and the one of the things that drives me nuts are the people in the cabins around us that constantly slam the balcony doors. Why is is so hard to hold the door and close it? I'm the type of person who is always aware of how my actions can annoy people so I train my kids to be quiet and not slam doors. Two cruises ago we had a couple in the cabin next to us that smoked constantly, had that smokers hack and they slammed the door repeatedly. I tried giving them subtle hints like when I was on the balcony I said to my daughter in a louder than normal voice " don't let the door slam because it will bother other people" they didn't get the hint! I finally had enough and while out on the balcony again I yelled" I am tired of all the door slamming going on around me" hmm that didn't work either so I gave up. I'm hoping that this time we have courteous neighbors. We are in a suite so maybe the extra width of the cabin will make the door slamming less jarring. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

sooooo agree!!! The hints just don't seem to work. Honestly believe it is all part of the me, me, me entitled world we are living in. Common curtesy is a thing of the past.

ita

Edited by dwaterhouse
  • Thanks 1

Hi LTS1960 :)

Just wanted to share a reply I made to a similar post back in 2013, along

with a reply from another Cruise Critic member.

Have a terrific day! :)

Hi

Ahhhhhhhhhh the door slammers.. I agree of course that some doors may

not latch if not pushed hard, or some people may slam a door due to being

unfamiliar with the door or their surroundings, etc, etc..

However, I think they are outnumbered by the many humans that are simply

oblivious in various multiple aspects of slamming; this goes far beyond cruise

ship door/balcony slamming.

This happens quite often in regards to slamming cabinet doors, toilet seats,

car doors, drawers, and so on and so on. The list is endless.

I wish I knew the reasons as to why, and after 35 years of apartment

living, I still do not know the true answer.

The last part of your post about living in an apartment for 35 years had me thinking.

Granted there is no excuse for deliberatly being loud and obnoxious.

But there are many people who have never lived in an apartment with strangers

on the other side of both walls , above them and below them. Which is what you

become when you are in a cabin on a cruise ship.

If you have always lived in your own house with your own yard , a good distance

from your nearest neighbor. with just your own family, you get used to your own sounds .

You don't realize how heavy you walk on the floor, or how loud your voice is, or how

heavy you close the door, or how loud have the TV on late at night.

Or if your light is bothering someone by being on.

Out of my whole life I spent less than 5 years in an actual apartment with neighbors all around me.

And that was half a lifetime ago , and I was single and rarely home . I grew up in a house on a big

piece of wooded property on a dead end. I live in a house now on a cul de sac with almost 2 full lots

between me and my "Next door" neighbors.

Now we are hardly head bangers and wall shakers. But we aren't early to bed church mice either.

Maybe to someone who is used to pitch black dead quiet lights out at 10pm, we might be a disturbance.

:)

Hopefully, the slamming will be less than before -- and during the day when you aren't napping or sleeping!! But, it is just a fact of life... sometimes the wind catches the door, sometimes the people just don't know better, sometimes it's a child and can't hold it tightly enough...

It's a nuisance -- but don't let it ruin your cruise!! It's close quarters and we all have to sharpen our manners... And remember to forgive and forget!!

I pray your cruise is a delight, and brings you FANTASTIC memories and SMILES!!!

For many people 'slamming' a door means closing it in anger.

They are not slamming but closing a heavy door. FWIW even on cruise lines with balcony sliding doors (Princess). The doors can still be heard- a whoosh then a loud click/bump. To me it more annoying because the sound is longer in length.

Mind you, I'm NOT supporting "door slammers", but, I have been guilty of accidentally doing this myself.

Assuming "newbies" don't realize the noise factor to their neighbors, I have politely asked these dastardly offenders to be aware of their actions with pleasant, and quieter, results.

;)

On my first cruise I had a balcony and did experience some door slamming. I'm also mindful of noise and lived in a private home almost all my life until I moved to MD to live my fiance (now my husband:D) in an apartment.

Yes, I'm a smoker, but when I was on the balcony I noticed that my shipmates on the right had a small child. When their child was out there, I did not smoke on the balcony and did hear their door slam a few times. This did not bother me at all. I guess I can sum that up to be life in another cabin. I spend quite a bit of time alone at home(DH works nights) when I hear noise above me I say to myself, life is happening:)

I did find that the balcony door could use some WD-40 and that is probably why the noise was created.

I am not saying there are not inconsiderate peeps out there for LETTING the door slam continuously , but the doors are not being "slammed " . Its the door closer that does this without any help .

I know I for one have allowed the door to slam on accident . I cringe when this happens because i remembered just a tad bit to late .

Anyone else ever "pucker up " when you know its going to happen and you cant catch it in time ?

Edited by JustFloatN

I gave up and unless they're almost giving balcony cabins away I book OV. Slamming doors, nights on all night, loud talking till early in the morning, AND the smoke, oh the smoke. Now I don't have any of those problems. To pay 3 to $5oo extra for a 4x10 balcony is not worth it in my world.

I, too am a quiet person. Tv volume is always at the level where you can hear it and that's it. I even took off the little part that "pulls" a screen door shut so my kid has to pull it closed and not let is slam. However, if I heard someone *shout* on their balcony about being *tired of all the door slamming* I don't know if I would take to that very kindly either. My kid has learned to be very considerate of noise but I can't imagine someone "yelling" about us and me quietly reminding her. I would've said, "if you demand quiet you can knock on my door and ask me at the same volume you'd like us to be.".

I'm not trying to start anything, you can't change the past. But for the future. Maybe something to think about. People getting yelled at for accidental noise probably aren't going to decide to be *more* considerate than the person shouting on their balcony ...

I always guide the doors when going in or out. I find the door slamming to be worse at hotels than cruise ships. maybe I have always had more courteous neighbors, but don't really hear the slamming on a ship as well as in hotels. people need to be more aware

I, too am a quiet person. Tv volume is always at the level where you can hear it and that's it. I even took off the little part that "pulls" a screen door shut so my kid has to pull it closed and not let is slam. However, if I heard someone *shout* on their balcony about being *tired of all the door slamming* I don't know if I would take to that very kindly either. My kid has learned to be very considerate of noise but I can't imagine someone "yelling" about us and me quietly reminding her. I would've said, "if you demand quiet you can knock on my door and ask me at the same volume you'd like us to be.".

I'm not trying to start anything, you can't change the past. But for the future. Maybe something to think about. People getting yelled at for accidental noise probably aren't going to decide to be *more* considerate than the person shouting on their balcony ...

If you had read my entire post I stated that I tried to hint quietly first. It was the frustration of the door continually slamming shut after a few days of it happening at all hours. There is no way I am going to knock on anyone's door to ask them to be quieter. I have seen lots of crazy cruisers that yell, scream and berate people for actually complaining politely! You never know how someone is going to react so I'm not taking my chance on knocking on a door. A note at the door would prob be a good idea, no confrontation but gets the point across.

I tried giving them subtle hints like when I was on the balcony I said to my daughter in a louder than normal voice " don't let the door slam because it will bother other people" they didn't get the hint!

Oh man, if I heard this snarky kind of remark I'd start intentionally making sure my door slams even more frequently. Yeah, that probably makes me a jerk, but talking to your child like that in order to get a message across to me... that's just as bad. I'd respond faaaaaaar more positively if you just asked politely that I keep the door slamming in mind... you know... like a decent human being with basic communication skills. Odds are the person you're talking about wasn't even aware of their door slamming actions and all you had to do was mention it to them and both parties would be happy.

On our last cruise, the folks next door were early risers (we are not). Every morning at 6 am they would be up. As each one (3) went on the balcony, they would just let the door close, hence the slam. After the third day, I had had enough. I got up, went on the balcony, leaned over to their side and politely, but firmly, reminded them that their balcony door was six feet away from my head on the pillow. Never heard another slam.

Oh man, if I heard this snarky kind of remark I'd start intentionally making sure my door slams even more frequently. Yeah, that probably makes me a jerk, but talking to your child like that in order to get a message across to me... that's just as bad. I'd respond faaaaaaar more positively if you just asked politely that I keep the door slamming in mind... you know... like a decent human being with basic communication skills.

Your same thoughts crossed my mind. I'd think that asking someone politely will yield better results than the "snarky comment loud enough for others to hear" approach or the "standing on the balcony and yelling at the top of your lungs that you're sick of slamming doors" approach.

IMHO, the way that some people handle rude and obnoxious behavior is just as rude and obnoxious as the behavior that they are trying to curve. Somewhat ironic. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi
  • Haha 1

Oh man, if I heard this snarky kind of remark I'd start intentionally making sure my door slams even more frequently. Yeah, that probably makes me a jerk, but talking to your child like that in order to get a message across to me... that's just as bad. I'd respond faaaaaaar more positively if you just asked politely that I keep the door slamming in mind... you know... like a decent human being with basic communication skills. Odds are the person you're talking about wasn't even aware of their door slamming actions and all you had to do was mention it to them and both parties would be happy.

Wow, communication skills? It was not a snarky remark. A reminder to my teenage daughter not to let the door slam because it bothers others was in no way snarky and it actually is prob better than leaning around the balcony asking the person not to let the door slam. You're pretty rude if you would slam doors after hearing a statement like that! A decent human being does not do something like that intentionally after overhearing a remark!

• Haha 1

Wow, communication skills? It was not a snarky remark. A reminder to my teenage daughter not to let the door slam because it bothers others was in no way snarky and it actually is prob better than leaning around the balcony asking the person not to let the door slam.

Teaching your daughter about being considerate is one thing. But with all due respect, trying to curve someone else's behavior by using a tone of voice loud enough for them to hear disguised as a lesson to your daughter is not the most mature or effective approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Leave a note in their mailbox asking them not to slam the door. Usually works.

This is an excellent idea!

I don't think most people even think about it. I know, last cruise I realized how loud it was and always gently closed the door. DH on the other hand didn't. I didn't say anything but will next time.

OP, I for one didn't think you did anything for say (or yelling) something. I'm the type that would have felt bad and have been more conscientious after that.

• Thanks 1

I agree with you on the slamming balcony (and stateroom) doors. It also disturbs me when people leave their balcony light on all night long, like we are in some redneck floating trailer park.

People who leave porch lights on are in red neck trailer parks?! I had no idea that a porch light could evoke such a nasty stereotype

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I was at the grocery store. Getting 6 things. On one of them the price didn't ring up right and the cacvier had to call someone over. The lady behind me started sighing and tapping her feet, "hmmphing" in disgust...finally she said out loud (but to know one) "I guess some people don't care when others are in a hurry!". That's what your shouting makes me think of. Had she said she was in a hurry and asked to go ahead of me I would've have no problem. I'm never in that big of a hurry. Instead, she wants to stand there and huff and puff and ruin her oWN day with her snottiness when a simple polite sentence would've gotten her exactly what she wanted. Instead, I looked her in the eye and sloooooooowly pulled out a checkbook...

I don't go out of my way to accommodate rude people. Shouting on the balcony is rude.

• Like 1