No Shampoo! Really?

Curiosity is killing me so Ive got to be the one that asks.

This is probably your last cruise with RCI because shampoo isnt provided or there were other issues that causes you not to want to cruise with RCI again?

LOL. No, there were other disappointments such as horrible food in the Windjammer, men and women being allowed into dining room on formal nights wearing shorts and flip-flops, $8 for a bottle of mineral water, etc. I did love the ship which was beautiful and sparkly clean and the entertainment was much better than HAL or Princess. I tried RCI because of the fabulous btb itinerary but the RCI product just isn't for me. Thank goodness there are enough cruise lines that everyone will find a favourite.

I am going to have a great cruise, but

No cheap shampoo

No midnight buffet

No after dinner mints

No irons down the hallway

But the number one disappointment is no goodie basket.

Pretty soon bring your own box of tissues,

I wish I could order a really nice basket of free samples, so I don't have to hear my wife make a comment, Carnival always give us a goodie basket.

I haven't found any reviews that mention the shower dispenser is gone. Can you point me to these trip reports? None of the reviews for the last two months of CC mention this as a problem.

Was on Vision this past Fall right after the refurb. I was in an outside room. I can confirm that there are no wall dispensers in the showers anymore. I had to ask the room steward for shampoo as I had assumed that the wall dispenser would be there like it is on all the other RCCL ships.

In all the years of traveling I have never used the shampoos in hotel rooms unless I have forgotten my own which is rare. I donate them. I bring full size shampoos with me and my husband and I use that. I am fussy about hair products as I have long hair.

I used to wash my hair with the pillow candy. Left my hair darker and smelling minty ! :D

love it! I can just picture little lumps of chocolate in your hair :)

On a serious note...I can imagine there is a lot of waste. We were a bit taken aback on our Radiance trip in a standard balcony 2 1/2 years ago, as our first trip was in a JS, so we thought you always got that sort of thing. We asked and we were not able to get the items from the cabin steward at that time. The goop on the wall didn't do it for me. We had to do a quick run in at the next port to get something better. We were surprised that they didn't sell some small sized shampoo and conditioners in the shops on board.

We now also have some small bottles and fill them with our own stuff from home. I do prefer my own, but it would be good if you can ask and get them.

Edited by goodycruising

When I was just on Allure I asked my cabin attendant why they didn't supply shampoo and conditioner. She told me they have them but you need to ask. She said they had so much waste that they stopped routinely supplying them because even if not used they throw them out. Same for the robes and ice. All you need to do is ask.

This actually makes sense. No one in my family uses that junk, so it would go straight to the garbage. It would be a good idea to include a note in the first day's Compass instructing passengers that they can ask.

YES! It is true just off Vision a month ago and there was no dispenser nor shampoo or conditioner!

I am a girly girl but on a boat there is no taming my hair so yes i use what is provided! Thank goodness I went with 2 non cruisers ( my sisters) that packed enough shampoo for all and I happen to take extra shampoo from the Westin in Fort Lauderdale we stayed the night before.

Granted normally I am in a balcony, this trip I was in an outside, so I thought that was the difference. Sounds like it is more cost cutting.

Just (off topic) do not understand the servers not walking around the solarium? The bar was packed. With the tip included, they make money. I know I sound snobby but I miss sitting there and having someone ask me what I would like to drink and bringing it!:mad:

Royal Caribbean International announces new Amenities Packages for 2015

Miami, FL, 6/17/2014

Royal Caribbean International (RCI), the second largest operator of cruise ships in the world has announced that beginning in 2015 that it will offer to passengers various, luxurious amenities packages for the cabins. No longer will soap, shampoo, robes, slippers, towel animals, etc. be provided, instead guests will be able to purchase the fine amenities that they desire.

There will be several levels of packages, from ones that provide the basics of soap and shampoo, to ones that include conditioner, shower cap, sewing kit, hand cream, body lotion and more. Additional packages will include one that features robes and slippers, along with nightly turn down service, towel animals and a Godiva chocolate on the pillow.

Bathroom amenities will be manufactured for Royal Caribbean by the prestigious Cheetham & Steele of London.

No prices have been announced yet, but a spokesperson for RCI has stated that the prices will be "reasonable", and suggested that the basic package of just soap and shampoo will be around $5 per person per day, and the most extensive package at around $50 per person per day.

The RCI spokesperson added, "we are also considering bedding packages, where the guest can choose between mattress, sheets and pillow types; from just the basics to ultra luxurious, featuring 300 thread count sheets and memory foam mattresses. We are currently in discussions with the century old manufacturer of quality bedding Yoora Sukker of Germany."

Edited by loubetti

Just got back from an Indy cruise, and I can honestly say I never noticed whether or not there was shampoo/bodywash provided. I bring my own and the hubs shaves his head shiny, so soap is fine for him.

There was bar soap, which is fine with me.

There wasn't a robe in the room, but I asked for one and and it was promptly provided.

I'm sure the company is well aware of what percentage of any amenity is wasted, and if they cut down on what (mostly) isn't used so cruises can stay affordable, great.

Just got off the Splendour in Venice on Saturday. This was my first RCL (and probably last) cruise. As a HAL/Princess cruiser, I was shocked that there was no shampoo, conditioner, lotion or robe in my stateroom. I didn't even think of bringing my own as the products provided on the ships were fine to use and I'm pretty low maintenace when cruising. I asked the room steward about these items and was told they were no longer being provided. Later in the day, a couple of small shampoos appeared and after dinner I found a robe hanging on the bathroom door. A day later, a small bottle of lotion appeared. So, if you ask, these items will eventually appear.

NCL still provides the shampoo and shower gel in each cabin, and I was surprised to hear that RCI cut back on it.

When we were on the Explorer, there was a dispenser of shower gel in the shower stall, and bar soap by the sink. Thank goodness that we brought our own shampoo, and other products.

We had some product in a Junior Suite on Freedom a few weeks ago, but we didn't use much of it. I think a lot of people just loaded it up in their suitcase and took it home so somewhere along the line they figured it would be a cost savings to not provide it (like pens and other things people steal). Some hotels are starting to go this way as well with signs that say "if you need something ask for it"

My guess is if you ask the cabin attendant for something you need they would provide it as needed even if it's not provided.

Tom

Royal Caribbean International announces new Amenities Packages for 2015

Miami, FL, 6/17/2014

Royal Caribbean International (RCI), the second largest operator of cruise ships in the world has announced that beginning in 2015 that it will offer to passengers various, luxurious amenities packages for the cabins. No longer will soap, shampoo, robes, slippers, towel animals, etc. be provided, instead guests will be able to purchase the fine amenities that they desire.

There will be several levels of packages, from ones that provide the basics of soap and shampoo, to ones that include conditioner, shower cap, sewing kit, hand cream, body lotion and more. Additional packages will include one that features robes and slippers, along with nightly turn down service, towel animals and a Godiva chocolate on the pillow.

Bathroom amenities will be manufactured for Royal Caribbean by the prestigious Cheetham & Steele of London.

No prices have been announced yet, but a spokesperson for RCI has stated that the prices will be "reasonable", and suggested that the basic package of just soap and shampoo will be around $5 per person per day, and the most extensive package at around $50 per person per day.

The RCI spokesperson added, "we are also considering bedding packages, where the guest can choose between mattress, sheets and pillow types; from just the basics to ultra luxurious, featuring 300 thread count sheets and memory foam mattresses. We are currently in discussions with the century old manufacturer of quality bedding Yoora Sukker of Germany."

The showers have canisters of shampoo/body wash inside. For a guy, probably that is sufficient for shampoo. Most women will probably want to bring their own.

On the Serenade in a regular cabin, I used the shampoo/conditioner in the canister in the shower and it was fine. The only thing I wish I had brought was extra conditioner since the combined shampoo/conditioner didn't seem to be quite enough conditioner.

On the Legend, we were in a JS and the bathroom was always supplied with little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.

We do like getting the soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. I keep one set for us. I use the soap on the ship. The shampoo we clean our glasses. The conditioner is for shaving and the lotion is GREAT for getting through TSA!

I bring the rest home and give them away. :) The people here are thrilled to get them. The worst of our hotel/cruise items are better than most of what they can afford here. Something like a cheap Dollar Type shampoo is over $8.00 for a little bottle here! :( Many here never buy soap or shampoo! :o Lotion is something that the ladies fight over! :eek:

We as American's are so spoiled! :D

This seems like an odd thing to discontinue to me. Don't even the cheapest of hotels and motels still provide these things? It's not a big deal to us as we bring our own and I suspect many do. But it is nice to have it in there in case something is lost or forgotten. It does also kind of send a message, about the place where you're staying. This is the type of thing that I just assume will be there.

Having to pay for turn down service, towel animals and soap will be the tipping point towards another line. Too cheap. The lack of staff, food quality, pens and paper, and flowers had me looking but, use them or not, the lack of any amenities is too much like Spirit Air and not my idea of a wonderful vacation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Er... Robin, you realize that my "press release" was just a joke that I wrote, right? ;)

However, perhaps I gave RCI an idea? :eek:

Oh, we can add the pens and paper, and even a fridge to the amenities package too!

Oh! With the bedding package we can add the towels, starting with paper ones! :D

Then, there will be the TV package....

Er... Robin, you realize that my "press release" was just a joke that I wrote, right? ;)

However, perhaps I gave RCI an idea? :eek:

Oh, we can add the pens and paper, and even a fridge to the amenities package too!

Oh! With the bedding package we can add the towels, starting with paper ones! :D

Then, there will be the TV package....

You had me til I got to "Cheetham & Steele of London" lol!!! Had to read it twice, because Celebrity forum mentioned Gilchrist & Soames of London on their ships and some of RCC about a month ago.