No Shampoo! Really?

I was reading on some recent trip reports and reviews that RCI is no longer supplying standard cabins on some ships with shampoo. Particularly, on Vision of the Seas. Is this really true? I don't mind schlepping beauty products like shampoo and conditioner for my wife, but as a non high maintenance guy, I count on a cruise company supplying amenities that you would normally get at Holiday Inn. I really do not want to go last minute shopping on the day before we sail either. Any comment on this troubling news?

I haven't found any reviews that mention the shower dispenser is gone. Can you point me to these trip reports? None of the reviews for the last two months of CC mention this as a problem.

I haven't found any reviews that mention the shower dispenser is gone. Can you point me to these trip reports? None of the reviews for the last two months of CC mention this as a problem.

Here's a quote from a couple of days ago on this very board...

June 8th, 2014, 01:56 AM

Cool Cruiser

7652 on Vision is great because of the fantastic balcony. The cabin itself is narrow and I did not remember the bathrooms being so small! Reagan is a very helpful, attentive room steward. No shampoo or clocks anymore so FYI. The food was good, especially in the Solarium - be sure to get the carved beef. Female Captain very gracious and impressive. We are emerald but friends are diamond and they said the diamond club was excellent. Hope this helps. Enjoy the balcony with two loungers, two chairs and a table. Sorry I don't have pics

We always bring a full bar of soap from home for the shower. We also bring our own shampoo, conditioner and other items. I never use the ones at a hotel or a cruise ship and do not take them home either. I do not like the little tiny size bars, bottles.

Just got off the Splendour in Venice on Saturday. This was my first RCL (and probably last) cruise. As a HAL/Princess cruiser, I was shocked that there was no shampoo, conditioner, lotion or robe in my stateroom. I didn't even think of bringing my own as the products provided on the ships were fine to use and I'm pretty low maintenace when cruising. I asked the room steward about these items and was told they were no longer being provided. Later in the day, a couple of small shampoos appeared and after dinner I found a robe hanging on the bathroom door. A day later, a small bottle of lotion appeared. So, if you ask, these items will eventually appear.

Curiosity is killing me so Ive got to be the one that asks.

This is probably your last cruise with RCI because shampoo isnt provided or there were other issues that causes you not to want to cruise with RCI again?

Bars of soap at the sink drive my DH and I crazy. They are messy and goopy. For years, we have always brought along a bottle ( or two - depends on length of cruise) of liquid pump soap. These are relatively inexpensive and solve this problem for us. We do not pack it to come home, we leave it in the cabin bathroom for recycling.

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

When you say "for recycling", I'm assuming you mean "to be thrown away", because that's undoubtedly what is done with it.

Edited by time4u2go

Here's a quote from a couple of days ago on this very board...

June 8th, 2014, 01:56 AM

Cool Cruiser

7652 on Vision is great because of the fantastic balcony. The cabin itself is narrow and I did not remember the bathrooms being so small! Reagan is a very helpful, attentive room steward. No shampoo or clocks anymore so FYI. The food was good, especially in the Solarium - be sure to get the carved beef. Female Captain very gracious and impressive. We are emerald but friends are diamond and they said the diamond club was excellent. Hope this helps. Enjoy the balcony with two loungers, two chairs and a table. Sorry I don't have pics

For years people have been posting there is no shampoo in the cabin. I'm talking about the shampoo dispenser. They also said there was no clocks, there haven't been clocks in cabin in 10 years. Still waiting....

I was on Vision mid-May in a JS. I can confirm no wall dispenser.. We did have the small bottles though..

Bars of soap at the sink drive my DH and I crazy. They are messy and goopy. For years, we have always brought along a bottle ( or two - depends on length of cruise) of liquid pump soap. These are relatively inexpensive and solve this problem for us. We do not pack it to come home, we leave it in the cabin bathroom for recycling.

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you bring liquid soap for the counter' date=' doesn't that violate the TSA 3 oz rule? I'm just curious, because I like the idea of bringing my own liquid soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

If you are flying with it, you could put it in your checked suitcase. The 3 oz rule only applies to carry-ons.

You could also just purchase it before you head to the ship.

If you bring liquid soap for the counter' date=' doesn't that violate the TSA 3 oz rule? I'm just curious, because I like the idea of bringing my own liquid soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

The 3 oz rule is for carry on bags on an airplane. And when flying you can still pack as much liquid as you like in check on bags and there are no liquid restrictions for cruising (well other than alcohol and drinks :rolleyes:).

Edited by The Sunset Glow

I was on Vision mid-May in a JS. I can confirm no wall dispenser.. We did have the small bottles though..

Thank you for the confirmation! Let's hope this is only a bad test. We are just off the Radiance and the good ole' dispensers are still there.

This is a GREAT idea! I'll pick up a bottle when they are on sale, for our next cruise. (We don't like bars of soap at the sink either)

While I do agree that RCL is really cutting corners and kind of dropping the ball on the shampoo/shower dispenser, the stuff that they gave out always made my hair feel like straw anyway. I never use the hotel stuff, you can buy a bottle of Suave to last you seven days for a buck.

When you say "for recycling", I'm assuming you mean "to be thrown away", because that's undoubtedly what is done with it.

If there are recycling facilities onboard then of course I am hoping they make use of my left-behind plastics. If not, then they are free to dispose of it as they see fit.

Still had dispensers on Grandeur last month. Have no idea what was in it, I bring my own stuff because I can't see using some mystery combo product for 7 days. (I really need something with a label I can read to check for a few ingredients I'm allergic to, anyway). I do think it is a bit cheap of them to not automatically provide the basic toiletries that I even get at a Days Inn, but then I did not cruise back in the day when everyone received such luxuries, so I have just accepted that.

... . She said they had so much waste that they stopped routinely supplying them because even if not used they throw them out. Same for the robes and ice. ... .

They throw out the robes AND the ice even if not used? ;)

and they are usually cheap brands so is there anybody who ever use such stuff?

Always have my own with me...

Agreed - like that in most hotels unless very expensive ones. Most women like their own products so isn't really an issue.

I was reading on some recent trip reports and reviews that RCI is no longer supplying standard cabins on some ships with shampoo. Particularly, on Vision of the Seas. Is this really true? I don't mind schlepping beauty products like shampoo and conditioner for my wife, but as a non high maintenance guy, I count on a cruise company supplying amenities that you would normally get at Holiday Inn. I really do not want to go last minute shopping on the day before we sail either. Any comment on this troubling news?

We were on the Explorer of the Seas in March and none of these were in the cabin, we only had to ask our cabin steward and he provided them whenever needed, we were shocked at this since we usually cruise with Princess or Celebrity and these items are always in you cabin, no matter what category you are in.

Marg