Navigator for first time on RCCL?

Hey everyone First time poster here :)

I just booked my first RCCL cruise on Navigator of the Seas 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary, Galveston, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel! I am incredibly excited... I've sailed DCL a couple of times and am looking forward to trying something new...

I would love ANY tips or tricks (we have a large group from kids ages 10 -11, 17 a couple college kids and adults)

From excursions to on board secrets anything would be fantastic!

I have one quick question about the Unlimited Alcohol plan does this include drinks in the Main Dining room / Specialty restaurants? IE could I get a glass of wine with my meal at Chops?

Also does the kids Soda package cover Soda in the Main Dining Room?

Also what are your favorite things about Royal? Restaurant, Bar Lounge ext...

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!!!

I was on Navigator in 2009 and loved it, but its undergone a major retrofit since then and the first reviews have all been good. I'm watching those reviews with my 2016 cruise still open. When is your cruise?

The alcohol pkgs are accepted in the MDR & the Specialty restaurants for drinks up to $10 per drink.

Speaking of specialty restuarants. I suggest that you try Sabor. It was a very nice experience, great food and excellent service. If you are into Margaritas, imo Sabor served up the BEST Margaritas on the ship. They were $12 each, so we only had to pay the $2 difference.

I can't speak to your questions regarding the kids etc. Enjoy your cruise!

If you get a glass of wine in Vintages between 5 or 5:30 and about 7 PM you should get complimentary snacks, usually cheese, crackers and fruit. There is no charge for food or coffee, tea and water at the Promenade Cafe which is open about 23 hours daily. At breakfast in the Windjammer (buffet), there is an "Egg Harbor" all the way around to the back of that buffet where you can get eggs cooked to order, including omelets. There are free drinks at the Captain's Welcome Aboard party on night two, the first formal night. For the childrens' programs, Adventure Ocean, sign them up on the first day. There is no charge for the programs and they may choose which activities they wish to participate in. Our granddaugter loved this at 5 years old and again recently at 71/2. I have read that many children have enjoyed RCI's childrens' programs better than Disney's, believe it or not. If you wish to walk, the promenade deck 4 is a great way to get some exercise. At the very bow of the ship on deck 4 there are stairs that go up to the helipad. This is a good place to see the stars at night. Navigator is a gorgeous ship and her crew is very friendly and helpful.

ANother thing I might suggest is to find your roll call. I'd post the link but I don't know when you're cruising.

WELCOME TO CC, btw!

Hmmmmm tips? On sea days, lunch in the MDR includes a Tutti Salad. You pick your ingredients and they mix/chop it for you. Great salad which can be the entree or appetizer.

Promenade cafe: Open pretty much 24/7. Some folks think they have to pay for the sandwiches, pastries, pizza etc b/c it's right next to the pay venues of Starbucks and Ben and Jerry's. But stuff from the Promenade Cafe is free. Grab some cookies on your way to your cabin for the night. And the pizza isn't half bad.

Hey everyone First time poster here :)

I just booked my first RCCL cruise on Navigator of the Seas 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary, Galveston, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel! I am incredibly excited... I've sailed DCL a couple of times and am looking forward to trying something new...

I would love ANY tips or tricks (we have a large group from kids ages 10 -11, 17 a couple college kids and adults)

From excursions to on board secrets anything would be fantastic!

I have one quick question about the Unlimited Alcohol plan does this include drinks in the Main Dining room / Specialty restaurants? IE could I get a glass of wine with my meal at Chops?

Also does the kids Soda package cover Soda in the Main Dining Room?

Also what are your favorite things about Royal? Restaurant, Bar Lounge ext...

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!!!

The drink packages are also good on Coco Cay or Labadee, if your ship stops at either private beach!

S/He posted the itinerary, and it does not include either of those ports.

Edited by Merion_Mom

We also are about to sail the Navigator, and we are quite excited.

I encourage you to do a search for "Navigator" on this forum. You'll find many recent reviews filled with photos and great information. Depending on when you sail, you may very well find one from me before you board, as well.

D

All the drink packages include drinks in the MDR and specialty restaurants. The drink packages cannot be used for room service or the stateroom mini-bar.

Thank you so much! I am going back and forth on the packages and think with having the option for the MDR and Specialty it'll be worth it :)

I was on Navigator in 2009 and loved it, but its undergone a major retrofit since then and the first reviews have all been good. I'm watching those reviews with my 2016 cruise still open. When is your cruise?

Fantastic! Part of the reason we booked was because of the refurb it honestly looked better than Freedom and it was 1000 cheaper!!!

We are going on the February 15th Sailing :D (however I should mention I have a DCL for my 21st between now and then :cool:)

The alcohol pkgs are accepted in the MDR & the Specialty restaurants for drinks up to $10 per drink.

Speaking of specialty restuarants. I suggest that you try Sabor. It was a very nice experience, great food and excellent service. If you are into Margaritas, imo Sabor served up the BEST Margaritas on the ship. They were $12 each, so we only had to pay the $2 difference.

I can't speak to your questions regarding the kids etc. Enjoy your cruise!

That sounds fantastic! I am defiantly doing Chops and Sabor for dinner (Izumi for lunch) I think that Drink Package is sounding better and better :D

If you get a glass of wine in Vintages between 5 or 5:30 and about 7 PM you should get complimentary snacks, usually cheese, crackers and fruit. There is no charge for food or coffee, tea and water at the Promenade Cafe which is open about 23 hours daily. At breakfast in the Windjammer (buffet), there is an "Egg Harbor" all the way around to the back of that buffet where you can get eggs cooked to order, including omelets. There are free drinks at the Captain's Welcome Aboard party on night two, the first formal night. For the childrens' programs, Adventure Ocean, sign them up on the first day. There is no charge for the programs and they may choose which activities they wish to participate in. Our granddaugter loved this at 5 years old and again recently at 71/2. I have read that many children have enjoyed RCI's childrens' programs better than Disney's, believe it or not. If you wish to walk, the promenade deck 4 is a great way to get some exercise. At the very bow of the ship on deck 4 there are stairs that go up to the helipad. This is a good place to see the stars at night. Navigator is a gorgeous ship and her crew is very friendly and helpful.

Thanks for all of the tips I have an Evernote where I am taking notes!

Vintages sounds fantastic and if you get cheese and crackers I'm sold!!! You'll find me there every night lol

Do you know what kind of Coffee and Tea the Promanade Cafe serves? I drink Tea but my Dad drinks a lot of coffee (I'm hoping for Starbucks)

I'm glad your granddaughter enjoyed the clubs I hope my brothers try them out! I bet they get more one on one attention vs DCL!

Another thing I might suggest is to find your roll call. I'd post the link but I don't know when you're cruising.

WELCOME TO CC, btw!

Hmmmmm tips? On sea days, lunch in the MDR includes a Tutti Salad. You pick your ingredients and they mix/chop it for you. Great salad which can be the entree or appetizer.

Promenade cafe: Open pretty much 24/7. Some folks think they have to pay for the sandwiches, pastries, pizza etc b/c it's right next to the pay venues of Starbucks and Ben and Jerry's. But stuff from the Promenade Cafe is free. Grab some cookies on your way to your cabin for the night. And the pizza isn't half bad.

Thank you I will check the Roll Call out :) I will definitely go to the MDR for lunch I love to on DCL I just like the personal touches when you go there I've found its a great time to get to know the cruise staff and learn about different cultures!

The Promenade cafe sounds fantastic! Especially if they have pastries I wouldn't mind a late night cupcake :D

The drink packages are also good on Coco Cay or Labadee, if your ship stops at either private beach!

Thanks unfortunately we aren't however I was thinking they would be good for Sea days. Do you agree?

Make sure you and your family see the ice show is is great. We loved the live music at Boleros several differnt bands played there, Boleros also had the best bartenders.

Good to know! Did you pre schedule your Ice Show? Or just walk up?

I hadn't heard of Boleros Ill have to check that out! Especially if I do the Drink Package which I'm leaning towards right now!

We also are about to sail the Navigator, and we are quite excited.

I encourage you to do a search for "Navigator" on this forum. You'll find many recent reviews filled with photos and great information. Depending on when you sail, you may very well find one from me before you board, as well.

Thank you I will defiantly do that and hope to read yours before I sail :)

Just got off Navigator

See review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057517

May help with some of your questions

Will be posting Compass and kids guides soon

We had exact itinerary that you have

Have a great cruise!

Regarding ice show tickets, small queue on boarding at 1:30-2:30PM at StudioB deck 3

And you can pretty much take tickets for all the shows

There were 4 shows available on this cruise

Day 4 6:30pm

Day 4 8:30pm

Day 6 2:00pm

Day 6 4:00pm

Edited by PompeySailor
Added ice show times

We were on the Navigator June 1st thru 8th. It is a nice ship with very good service. The only drink package we did was the wine package. That and after dinner drinks in the diamond lounge was MORE than enough alcohol for us. Other people told me that they got their money's worth from the drink package. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you guys! I really appreciate all of your help!

How did you guys get to and from the Port? I would imagine we will fly into Houston the night before but it doesn't look like there is a rental car place at the port? Not all hotels have a shuttle either so I am just not sure what to do?

Edited by cb3thatsme

How did you guys get to and from the Port? I would imagine we will fly into Houston the night before but it doesn't look like there is a rental car place at the port? Not all hotels have a shuttle either so I am just not sure what to do?

Check the Gulf Coast Departures board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

There are shuttle and limo services available.

Hilton in Galveston has a complimentary shuttle to and from port

Departs hotel 10:00am and 11:00 and 11:30

If used book as soon as you check in with bellboy

Shuttle was at port 7.30 ready for us to go back to hotel on return.

Good hotel 15mins from port, with Krogers, IHOP and Rainforest Cafe and Landrys very close by

We used Cool tours. They use vans but it is not a shared ride. We got picked up at Hobby and went to the hotel in Galveston and then after the cruise we were picked up at the pier and went back to Hobby. Each time the driver was waiting for us. Cost was $170 return for 2 people. This was about the best price that I found.

We flew into Hobby the day before sailing. We booked a Town car thru Z limousine. The Town car ended up being a limousine, a very long limousine, at no extra cost. It was a nice ride after a few hours in the air. Great service, I would recommend them.

Also verify which airport you're flying into/out of. Hobby and IAH are on different sides of town.

Just like to wish you a great cruise.

DH and myself experienced our first WOW moment on this fabulous ship and would not hesitate to sail on her again.

Thats great to hear! I hope we enjoy RCCL I am excited but my parents are still a little nervous lol