has anyone booked the aarp rate

melsmom303

im just wondering because my husband will be 50 in less then 30 days so we are getting the aarp membership. do i have to show the card when we check in at the port or will they ask for the card number when i book :confused::confused::confused: ty.

im just wondering because my husband will be 50 in less then 30 days so we are getting the aarp membership. do i have to show the card when we check in at the port or will they ask for the card number when i book :confused::confused::confused: ty.

.....I don't believe anyone asked for an AARP membership number when I booked the cruise.

I would bring the card with you anyway in case they want you to produce proof.

wasiii

Edited by wasiii

You do not need to have a membership number to be given the discount, but NCL does contract AARP to verify you are a member. If you are not, they take the discount away.

We only used it once. We booked through NCL directly and had to fax a copy of the card to them before they would apply the discount. This was several years ago so maybe the procedure has changed.

NCL sends your name,birth date,and zip code (i think) to AARP, if AARP returns a match then you get a discount.A simple way to test this, and to make sure NCL can verify your information is by going here:

https://mss.aarp.org/idmbr_card.html

and entering in your information.If AARP shows your card information, then you are golden.

Is that 10% in addition to the best rate you can find? I was pretty happy with the deal on an aft suite on Dawn I booked through an online agency that I've used before. Should I have asked if there was an extra reduction in the price? Worth looking into for next year.

.....I booked the AARP rate on the Breakaway. It was $250 cheaper per person for a Haven Spa Suite. And my cabin was also cheaper than a Spa Mini-Suite at the time too.

Needless to say, I made the Queen one very happy camper with having that whirlpool tub in the cabin.

:)

wasiii

What if 1 person in the cabin is an AARP member and the other person is not? Does the discount apply only to the 1 passenger or both passengers in the cabin?

Both passengers as long as one passenger has a verified aarp membership

What if 1 person in the cabin is an AARP member and the other person is not? Does the discount apply only to the 1 passenger or both passengers in the cabin?

.....discount applies for all in the room.

When you booked if one person was AARP, if you had to make a change later and switch that person to someone else who is not AARP, they will rebook you at the current cabin rate for all people. You would have to pay the difference if the rate was now more. You would not necessarily get a refund if it was a lower rate depending on how many days out from sailing you are.

wasiii

I would prefer to NOT belong to AARP but that discount is substantial... I don't know what relationship they have with AARP but it seems unnecessary to belong. Just look at my driver's license or my passport for my age!

Well, it's "necessary to belong" if you want the discount because NCL isn't providing a senior discount, they are providing a discount to members of a certain organization. I would guess that NCL is not doing this out of the goodness of its corporate heart, but because AARP is subsidizing the discount. It's a business relationship.

If you don't want to join AARP, that's of course your right.

Well, it's "necessary to belong" if you want the discount because NCL isn't providing a senior discount, they are providing a discount to members of a certain organization. I would guess that NCL is not doing this out of the goodness of its corporate heart, but because AARP is subsidizing the discount. It's a business relationship.

If you don't want to join AARP, that's of course your right.

You're right. It's the same type of arrangement that AAA has with hotels that give discounts to their members.

NCL should provide a senior discount rather than AARP. I refuse to join AARP.

I do that too. Seems to me if you book 9 months out you get the senior rate. Less than nine AARP if you are a member. I booked one last year less than 9 months out and was given the senior rate anyway by PCC. Not an AARP member. Always got a senior rate, same discount. Still clicked the AARP rate online when I booked my own cruise without PCC. Nobody asked for a member number. My experience on 6 cruises so far.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

The aarp discount is better than the lattitudes discount, which is strange, but we use it. Our TA says they will check. We have also used it for hotels, etc. So it has been worth it to us.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

When I called to book my last BA cruise, the PCC asked my age. Then he wanted to know if I would be 50 at time of sailing, and I told him no. He said I was close enough, and he applied the AARP discount to my booking. Nobody ever asked me for a membership number, and NCL never verified with AARP that I was a member. So I think experiences on this will differ!