Bermuda - sniffer dogs and conduct warrantless searches without probable cause.

Shacky316

The article states, "A gram or two brings a $500 or so fine, which the passengers pay with a credit card to avoid the threatened three-month jail sentence.” The same amount of marijuana in Indiana can carry a year in jail and a $1000 fine. Sounds like she got off easy.

They've learned that a certain percentage of cruise ship passengers are complete idiots, and they've decided to make money off of them. I think it's smart. Hopefully the fines paid are put to good use and help keep other costs down.

Its all about the money folks. The whole world is all about the money. If they could not fine you they would not care. Most countries are corrupt including the USA. Also in most of these countries you can buy your way out if you have enough money.

If you do something illegal and get caught, then there is only 1 person to blame.

So when you get drug swabbed without any probable cause at an airport, is that out of order? In the last 4 flights, either my DH or I have been swabbed on the way out of the country. We must look suspicious.

We watched the dogs on our last trip and I thought, good for them, shame they don't have the dogs on the dockside stopping the people taking food off after they've been told not to. Now that I would love to see.

I guess I don't understand the problem. When you are in a different country, than the one where you live, you have to abide by their laws or suffer the consequences. If you don't want to pay a fine or go to jail, don't break their laws.

Correct me if i'm wrong... when a ship docks in port of a foreign country, they are subject to the laws of that country i.e. the ship became and extension of Bermuda subject to her laws. So, Bermuda has every right to bring drug sniffing dogs on board.

Not to mention the ship is owned by NCL and thus they can grant Bermuda permission to board if they so choose.

Per the guest ticket contract:

(e) Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety.

So I agree that as these drugs are illegal they should not be brought on board any cruise ship in the first place, and that a person has no right to expect that they would not face fines or jail time for bringing them into Bermuda.

However, I would say there is a large difference between searches of cruise ship cabins and searches of airliners or passengers coming into port etc... I am sure Bermuda certainly has the legal right to do this, but it would seem the Bermudian Government is not only exercising border search and seizure rights at the time of arrival or disembarkation but has an all out invitation to search any cabin at will at any time over the course of a 3-day stay in a Bermuda port. The idea that only criminals are at risk and that customs could never make a mistake or enter the cabin of a passenger who has no drugs at all seems a fallacy. People live in their cabins on board cruise ships and the average person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy, people do not live on board airliners or have such expectations of privacy. Bermuda customs cannot search hotel rooms in Bermuda in the same manner, they get around this because of the unique nature of the situation involving a ship in port, which is infact a floating hotel.

"In the past, crew members, according to the premier’s spokeswoman, have been known to hide large quantities of illegal drugs in unsuspecting cruise passengers’ cabins."
I also find this quote troubling from the article above, especially if under different circumstances the crew member in question did not come forward and the passenger ended up being charged. :eek: At the end of the day Bermuda can do what they want and it is legal, though I think it will still steer law abiding tourists away from the island and in the end it seems very clear that this policy is designed to make money and not to crack down on crime. Edited by Kortehgehn

I also find this quote troubling from the article above, especially if under different circumstances the crew member in question did not come forward and the passenger ended up being charged. :eek: At the end of the day Bermuda can do what they want and it is legal, though I think it will still steer law abiding tourists away from the island and in the end it seems very clear that this policy is designed to make money and not to crack down on crime.

I guess I'll be packing a nanny cam.

Brad

If you do something illegal and get caught, then there is only 1 person to blame.

So when you get drug swabbed without any probable cause at an airport, is that out of order? In the last 4 flights, either my DH or I have been swabbed on the way out of the country. We must look suspicious.

We watched the dogs on our last trip and I thought, good for them, shame they don't have the dogs on the dockside stopping the people taking food off after they've been told not to. Now that I would love to see.

You were not being swabbed for drugs. The swab tests the TSA performs is for explosives. Why you look suspicious, I do not know.

I thought they did those tests on everyone, but I don't fly very often.

They do it randomly. On my last flight, they did it to everyone in the TSA pre-check line and asked each person if they minded them doing it to them. Not one person objected.

Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about.......

I do find it distressing that they can have our safes open. Hopefully it is only with probable cause (dogs) My DH and I gamble and we generally keep our money in the safe along with other valuables.No need to worry about drugs of any kind :) I would hope if my safe was open that I am notified so I can inventory my items.

I think it is in Barbados where it is illegal to wear camouflage clothing. When one is in a foreign country, one should abide by their laws. Case closed.

Correct. I usually wear a military type camouflage floppy hat for sun protection. Got stopped exiting the ship and had to return it to my room before going ashore.

agreed I have also seen crew dragged off the ship under arrest in Columbia...for drugs

anyone seen midnight express?

my only issue would be, what if they are having a slow week and plant some while your not in the room?

my only issue would be, what if they are having a slow week and plant some while your not in the room?

When I saw them they were with security. Bermuda reports they only do it when the passenger is present. remember each time your cabin is opened who opened it is recorded. the halls are monitored so any one entering you room would be seen.

Edited by smeyer418

When I saw them they were with security. Bermuda reports they only do it when the passenger is present. remember each time your cabin is opened who opened it is recorded. the halls are monitored so any one entering you room would be seen.

My nanny cam will be recording who enters my cabin and what they are doing also. This survalence issue goes both ways. I don't plan on needing it however this news makes me nervous.

Brad

This reminds me that I am going on an NCL cruise in three months and the most negative thing about that is that I do not like NCL's smoking policy.

If someone is smoking weed on their balcony and that finds it way to my balcony, it will run DW and I off the balcony.

Another reason to avoid Colorado or Oregon.

This reminds me that I am going on an NCL cruise in three months and the most negative thing about that is that I do not like NCL's smoking policy.

If someone is smoking weed on their balcony and that finds it way to my balcony, it will run DW and I off the balcony.

Another reason to avoid Colorado or Oregon.

Don't let the "potheads" run you off your balcony !!! CALL SECURITY ! NCL does not condone pot smoking.

Their smoking rules and "weed" are two different animals !