Current Sojourn staff

PaulaJK

If anyone is sailing Sojourn [in the Med] could you tell me the names of the current Hotel Director, Restaurant Manager and CD please. Also would appreciate any comments re: current crew and entertainment. Thanks. Paula

Thank you for your reply. We are sailing in early August. Do not know the last 2 folks although Michaela may be the hard working woman from Colonnade who was promoted. I had thought that Nick Botha was scheduled for the restaurant. Love the 'old faces'...looking forward to meeting 'new faces' .

How is the entertainment?

In addition to the above mentioned officers and staff are chef de cuisine Neal, chef de bar Roland, many familiar faces both guests and crew and yours truly.

Some new changes on this cruise:

There is a seating hostess in the main restaurant. You give her your room number, she types it into a computer and a ticket comes out??? Is this a good thing? I do not yet see the advantage.

The cabin veranda doors have been adapted so they no longer slam closed - this is a good thing

There is NO SMOKING in the Observation Lounge before dinner, but you already know this - definately a good thing.

The main restaurant has so far been closed everyday for lunch - not a good thing.

The sailaway party was a non-event. No canapes or champagne being passed around. The entertainment team stayed together in their corner and did not mingle. I have memories of Nick Hale, David E, Jan and even hotman Karl at these events making it a point to say hello to EVERYONE.

Something else that I have experienced for the first time on Seabourn (I will be platinum before the end of this trip), the staff have been addressing me by my maiden name. I have made 4 trips to guest services to fix this annoyance and the problem still continues in some services.

It is still very early to judge this cruise. Right now I am a little bent out of shape for a few reasons.

All of the adolescents on board have bonded and go from pool to pool creating havoc.

This morning, I tried to place a special order of oysters as we will be in the oyster capital of France in 2 days. The request was refused for health reasons.

And lastly, upon arrival last Wednesday, I dropped a box of chocolate from home at guest services for the hotel manager whom I have previously sailed with. That was 5 days ago and still no thank you, not even a hello. I now regret not having saved that box for the adorable manicurist in the spa.

I'll post more at the end of the trip.

Les Picantins,

Ouch! We enjoyed our March sailing on Sojourn. We are sailing in early August. If we experience bands of adolescents, a dining room closed for lunch, an uninvolved CD/entertainment staff and a lack of energy/joviality as in sail away parties, we will be canceling our January '15 month because it will no longer be the SB we have enjoyed. I await your later reports.

I think that SB has limited fresh [uncooked] shellfish & that may be the issue with the oysters.

ps Before everyone chimes in re: positive attitude, I have one. I am going to enjoy myself....but my positive attitude needs to be met by SB's positive

delivery. Paula

Mihaela Radu was the Restaurant Manager when we were on Sojourn in the Baltic last summer. Very agreeable, hard working, and able to deal (as one would expect) graciously with complaints about errors made by the servers in the MDR.

I'm concerned about this 'seating hostess' deal. What happened to the RM greeting guests and arranging their seating in the MDR?

Coincidentally we experiences bands of children, perhaps a little younger than adolescents, causing havoc pool to pool on the same cruise. I whined about it here a year ago, so I won't do the same again now!

On that cruise, the MDR was closed for lunch and breakfast every day, except disembarkation day.

Fortunately, our CD was John Barron and the sailaway party was the best we've experienced so far, there again it was enhanced by the incredible beauty of the Stockholm archipelago.

It's July. Time to stay away from Seabourn. Those roving bands of adolescents and younger gang members are out on the loose. Perhaps intend of giving tickets out at the restaurant the hostess should should be giving tickets or citations to the parents of their offending issue.

Thank you for your reply. We are sailing in early August. Do not know the last 2 folks although Michaela may be the hard working woman from Colonnade who was promoted. I had thought that Nick Botha was scheduled for the restaurant. Love the 'old faces'...looking forward to meeting 'new faces' .

Michaela was also wonderful when she was assistant maitre d'h

We were onboard Sojourn June 12th-22nd. They had a guitar player in the club most evenings, Piano player in the observation lounge, a concert pianist, decent comedian, but the highlight was the production troupe. They consisted of the four person band, two very good dancers, and five singers/performers. They had several well produced production acts as well as hosted a wonderful evening pool dance party. The entertainment really exceeded my expectations!

Mike in Ohio

Mihaela Radu was the Restaurant Manager when we were on Sojourn in the Baltic last summer. Very agreeable, hard working, and able to deal (as one would expect) graciously with complaints about errors made by the servers in the MDR.

I'm concerned about this 'seating hostess' deal. What happened to the RM greeting guests and arranging their seating in the MDR?

Coincidentally we experiences bands of children, perhaps a little younger than adolescents, causing havoc pool to pool on the same cruise. I whined about it here a year ago, so I won't do the same again now!

On that cruise, the MDR was closed for lunch and breakfast every day, except disembarkation day.

Fortunately, our CD was John Barron and the sailaway party was the best we've experienced so far, there again it was enhanced by the incredible beauty of the Stockholm archipelago.

My guess is the "Hostess" was probably Mihaela. As I'm sure you know, but for those that don't, the Restaurant Manager assigns a table and sends a message to the people serving the table with information like name(s) and any special meal or dietary needs of the guest. I agree with everyone about the well earned promotion Mihaela received last year.

It's July. Time to stay away from Seabourn. Those roving bands of adolescents and younger gang members are out on the loose. Perhaps intend of giving tickets out at the restaurant the hostess should should be giving tickets or citations to the parents of their offending issue.

At least allow the Restaurant to be open for breakfast and lunch so non-roving guests will have a more peaceful dining venue.

At least allow the Restaurant to be open for breakfast and lunch so non-roving guests will have a more peaceful dining venue.

I agree especially as it is a luxury line and choice to me is a luxury thing.

Unfortunately Seabourn seem to be adopting the use it or lose it option,which is not what a luxury line should be promoting.

I agree especially as it is a luxury line and choice to me is a luxury thing.

Unfortunately Seabourn seem to be adopting the use it or lose it option,which is not what a luxury line should be promoting.

Excuse me for being a little off topic but a quick question for Mr. Luxury...good friends will be in London for Christmas week 2014. They are real foodies and are staying at the Landsdown Club. Not sure if I spelled it wrong. It is a reciprocal with the Union Club in Boston and New York. They are from Massachusetts and love good food. Where would you suggest for Christmas dinner and other special places. Any additional info for them to do would be wonderful. They will be there seven days. I have listed information you have said before such as the Goring for tea and I know they are considering the Savoy for one dinner. It is only their second trip to London. They were there last year for a wedding. Thanks. My email is nancy@arnettonline.net if you could email direct. Thanks. Edited by redheadednancy

Les Picantins,

Ouch! We enjoyed our March sailing on Sojourn. We are sailing in early August. If we experience bands of adolescents, a dining room closed for lunch, an uninvolved CD/entertainment staff and a lack of energy/joviality as in sail away parties, we will be canceling our January '15 month because it will no longer be the SB we have enjoyed. I await your later reports.

I think that SB has limited fresh [uncooked] shellfish & that may be the issue with the oysters.

ps Before everyone chimes in re: positive attitude, I have one. I am going to enjoy myself....but my positive attitude needs to be met by SB's positive

delivery. Paula

last year i did - as usual - shopping with the chef in france

it is a company policy : no fresh oysters can be served ...

probably once again the carnival influences :rolleyes:

it is a company policy : no fresh oysters can be served ...

probably once again the carnival influences :rolleyes:

This is a result of USA FDA policy...

The ship needs to keep a written log for 18months of every oyster they bought so they can track it back if there is a problem. And then you have the rule that any food which has been put out needs to be discarded after 4hours.

Chef Neel Breen told us on that he spends more time on paperwork than cooking and that they simply were no longer prepared to deal with fresh oysters given the rules.

Much has happened since I last posted on this thread. First of all the change in officers on July 12: Nicholas replaced Michaela as maitre d'hotel, Colleen took over as guest services manager (for those of you who do not know her, she is a real asset to Seabourn, always happy, poised and calm), Karl Buer was replaced by Capt. Hamish Elliott and finally Karl Eckl joined the ship on our last day.

My husband and I had a really good vacation thanks to each other's company and the quality of service we received from some, but not all of the staff. Unfortunately I found myself needing to make several reclamations regarding meal service (until we figured out whose section to sit in). The food was hit or miss, mostly at lunch. The main restaurant was only open on sea days (2 out of 20). The decision to close the restaurant at lunch was a real disappointment for us and may be a deal breaker for our future cruise decisions. In the Colonnade there is a casual attitude regarding service. Groups of servers form in different areas and carry on conversations. They would of course jump to attention and disperse the moment an officer walked in. We even witnessed one server hide a plate full of desserts in a chafing dish when the buffet was being broken down. His teammates seemed very amused by this act.

On a more positive note:

The bar team was very attentive

The epicurean event has really evolved over the past few years

They have added opera under the stars and/or an opera sail away

Bravo for that

Thank you for your post Les Picantins.

I am happy to read of the staff changes..totally agree that Coleen is a wonderful asset as well as a lovely person.

However, I am very unhappy to read the remainder of your note. We sail in August and a closed MDR at lunch will most likely be a deal breaker for us also.. Additionally. It sounds as though service in the colonnade has serious problems. ....food also. I hope that SB gets itself together.

Safe travels home. Paula

Paula: Hope you have a good cruise, and I hope the food improves. This issue of the closure of the MDR at lunch seems to be yet another cost-cutting measure...allows Seabourn/HAL/Carnival to make modest cuts in the servers needed to staff the MDR.

I think the MDR lunch opening is cruise/region dependent.

On a recent Odyssey Mediterranean cruise, the MDR was not open for lunch. On a cruise earlier this year it was open. The explanation given to us was that when the weather is good and the ship is docked/anchored in pleasant surroundings, guests gravitate to the Patio Grill and Colonnade, and the wait staff need to follow the guests. When the weather is less predictably good, seas are rougher etc, there are larger numbers wanting to use the MDR.