Bringing beer onboard

Birdieman1

Boarding the Ruby Princess out of Manhattan, do you really think they won't allow me to bring a box of beer onboard, they started removing alcohol two years ago, we were never stopped before, and they always allowed my beer through the check in, I won't be hiding it from them

This is the official policy right from the Princess web site:

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*"

Anything you choose to do outside this policy would be at your own risk, so understand you may lose that box of beer. And they really do scan your checked luggage.

I'm an Elite passenger and know the contract quite well, as with all contracts and laws they are not always enforced, even after they introduced the crack down on alcohol two years ago, we were still bringing alcohol on board and were told that we weren't supposed to but were allowed to.

I'm an Elite passenger and know the contract quite well, as with all contracts and laws they are not always enforced, even after they introduced the crack down on alcohol two years ago, we were still bringing alcohol on board and were told that we weren't supposed to but were allowed to.

They are MUCH more stringent now.

On our last cruise 4 months back they accompanied me to the alcohol table from the scanner. (no more sending you, they make sure you go)

They were gloating that the scanner showed a 12 pack in my carry on and you should have seen their faces when I opened the case and displayed 12 cans of soda.

Mike:)

Good one Mike, the employees who sat at the alcohol drop off table for all of those years had the easiest job on the ship, the old days you used to head over to the drop off table as a volunteer not directed over there,

Boarding the Ruby Princess out of Manhattan, do you really think they won't allow me to bring a box of beer onboard, they started removing alcohol two years ago, we were never stopped before, and they always allowed my beer through the check in, I won't be hiding it from them

You might want to also review where you are cruising from. According to New York cruise schedule, the Ruby Princess sails from Brooklyn and not Manhattan.

http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

The threads on this board over the last two years do reflect your experiences up to about a year ago. Enforcement was hit and miss but it eventually ramped up port by port. Recent threads indicate it's pretty much full enforcement in US ports at this time.

Believe me buddy, I understand your desire. While I certainly can afford to purchase beer from Princess, often the selection is a bit lacking and I'd rather haul my own stuff aboard.

Good one Mike, the employees who sat at the alcohol drop off table for all of those years had the easiest job on the ship, the old days you used to head over to the drop off table as a volunteer not directed over there,

I will say that I have brought beer on at ports since that time with no problem. So maybe they are more diligent at embarkation.

Beer is vastly more expensive onboard and the selection is almost non-existent. I really don't much care for any of the beers available on Princess so I just don't drink beer on the ship. There's no good reason to drink bad beer.

I will say that I have brought beer on at ports since that time with no problem. So maybe they are more diligent at embarkation.

This has been our experience as well. Just two weeks ago we brought on four 650 ml bottles of beer in Ketchikan. The guy at the check-in table saw our elite cards and drink stickers and told us to to ahead and take it to our cabin. Our bar tab was $56.00 per day, per person, so the ship is hardly losing money by letting us take on four beers, two of which went to our waiter.;)

You see, this is what I mean, the contract isn't as strict as everyone makes it out, and I'm sure your waiter enjoyed the beeer

Our waiter was extremely happy!:D He didn't get any shore time and was craving some Alaskan beer. I brought the other two home with me and we are going to drink them on 4'th of July.

Princess is a lot more strict on embarkation though. I don't think I would chance it then, because they will just take it from you and throw it away. At least at the port, if they take the beer, you will get it back on the last day. That's what happened to my stepmom.:(

It makes me laugh when people talk bout how strict embarkation is and the "risk" and the "rules". I wish I had a nickel for every "rule" I saw violated when cruising! In 17 cruises we have ALWAYS brought beer and/or hard liquor in our baggage. Not in our carry-on as I believe the OP suggested, but nevertheless, we have never had an issue. Think of the logistics....do you actually think they have the time to scan upwards of 5000 pieces of luggage? Highly unlikely. I will always take my chances...if someday they "catch" me, so be it....we've brought enough with us over the years I wouldn't cry to lose one bottle or a few beer. When we first started cruising around 10 years ago we were cruising with another couple and had 88 beer dispersed in our luggage - Lol! If you would be upset about losing your beer if it's found, then don't, if not, then do it...chances are you'll be fine. But unlike the OP suggested, I would put it in the checked luggage...having it in the carry-on is just asking to have it taken.

This has been our experience as well. Just two weeks ago we brought on four 650 ml bottles of beer in Ketchikan. The guy at the check-in table saw our elite cards and drink stickers and told us to to ahead and take it to our cabin. Our bar tab was $56.00 per day, per person, so the ship is hardly losing money by letting us take on four beers, two of which went to our waiter.;)

probably had noting to do wit your elite card, and more to do with the fact you had the drink sticker (as they already knew they made their money off you already, no matter on what you drank onboard), or even more to the fact the check-in person didn't care to do his job properly.

probably had noting to do wit your elite card, and more to do with the fact you had the drink sticker (as they already knew they made their money off you already, no matter on what you drank onboard), or even more to the fact the check-in person didn't care to do his job properly.

Of course Carnival is in the business to make money.:eek:

As far as having a black card, well I've had that a lot longer than the drink sticker. On many prior cruises, I have brought on board as much beer, wine, and hard liquor as my heart desired, without anyone saying anything to me. But in all actuality, our bar tab is still so huge:eek:, I should probably buy more stock in Carnival.

All I can say is thank goodness some people aren't doing their jobs properly, because how boring would life be if we all did everything that we are supposed to all of the time.:D

.............. Think of the logistics....do you actually think they have the time to scan upwards of 5000 pieces of luggage? Highly unlikely. I will always take my chances...if someday they "catch" me, so be it..............

I guess it happens though. Last November we met two couples from England while waiting to board and one of the guys said he had a bottle of his favorite whiskey in his checked luggage. He "knew" he would get away with getting it on board. Well, we saw them the day after boarding and the guy was really POed. He was called to the luggage area down below after boarding and he had to open his bag and give them his whiskey. He told them he didn't believe that they would just destroy a good bottle of whiskey and he wanted to see it for himself. They dumped it out as he watched. We saw the people several times over the two week Hawaii cruise and every time the guy was still complaining about his confiscated whiskey bottle.

Just sayin' be prepared to lose it. :cool:

BTW, the guy also said there were quite a few pieces of luggage down in that holding area. Guessing others were getting the same treatment.

Edited by ar1950

Of course Carnival is in the business to make money.:eek:

All I can say is thank goodness some people aren't doing their jobs properly, because how boring would life be if we all did everything that we are supposed to all of the time.:D

I must be a weirdo then. No matter what my job has been over the years I've always made a point of doing it to the best of my ability.

They don't seem to restrict it at all on the two small ships. I've bought a few cans of beer at the Eastern Europe Baltic ports where it's inexpensive to drink on my balcony on the sea days coming up after Copenhagen and on my Iceland segment where beer is more expensive. Security hasn't said a word. This is also my experience on past cruises. That being said beer may be one thing and two or three cans of that and full-fledged bottles of whiskey something else, which I don't consume.

If it isn't a party cruise I think they're more lenient especially outside the United States. Contracts are contracts but princess in my experience doesn't go out of it's way to outrage its customers. The case cited above with the dozens of bags waiting their turn at the sin bin must've been an exceptional case and I'm actually amazed the crew had so much time for that on a turnaround day.

image.jpg.967c17d4fafd62c7fa8c88e914d78b09.jpg

Edited by Wehwalt