On the CB in August Need Shopping Suggestions

custompcsys

Hi Folks,

I will be on the CB August 16 and want to look for a simple, relatively inexpensive 14K gold wedding band. We stop in San Juan, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas. Which would be the best port to look? Is it worth checking the shops on board? I already have an idea of what prices are both locally and online but since we are relatively close to cruise time I thought we would check out the island prices before we bought.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Hi Folks,

I will be on the CB August 16 and want to look for a simple, relatively inexpensive 14K gold wedding band. We stop in San Juan, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas. Which would be the best port to look? Is it worth checking the shops on board? I already have an idea of what prices are both locally and online but since we are relatively close to cruise time I thought we would check out the island prices before we bought.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

I think St Thomas would be the better of them all.

Its tough to find legitimate deals anymore, not like they were in the 80's.

I just shop at Costco now. :eek:

First, I suggest you check the cost of the wedding bands you like here is the US before you cruise. You really need a reference in order to know whether you're being offered a comparable ring at a good price.

It has been my experience that St. Thomas has the best pricing for jewelry. Stick with reputable stores. Don't take the Princess shopping presentation as gospel...stores pay to have their shops advertised onboard.

Some onboard jewelry is well priced. You'll need to determine what is a good price for yourself. I purchased a Tag Heuer watch in St. Thomas a few years ago only because the Princess shop didn't have the exact style I wanted. If they had had it, it would have been the same price I paid.

If you find a good deal, go for it!

Lew

Many plain gold bands are sold by weight with a small add-on for craftsmanship. Be sure to ask to have the ring weighed in front of you to insure you get the best deal. If the merchant doesn't have a scale then I don't buy. Enjoy your cruise.

I agree- the deals are long gone-between COSTCO and eBay, things are a lot less expensive

That being said, in Cartagena, I bought my wife an emerald pendant, matching earrings (of course) and a charm with an emerald in it

My DH bought me an anniversary band of diamonds and cognac diamonds set in white gold for our 25 th anniversary at the fine jewelry shop on the ship during a cruise on the Crown Princess.

The price was reasonable and it came with a warranty.

I have gotten many compliments on it and wear it every day.

St.Thomas has had a good reputation for jewelry for years.

I bought both a watch and signet ring there although it was many years ago (early 80s).I think there was a shop there called Little Switzerland that sold fine watches and jewelry.

I agree with other posters. Do you homework so that you will know what to look for either at a shop on the ship or in St. Thomas.

While you certainly can make the purchase on your cruise, you might find prices better at home plus the benefit of buying at home is that you have more time to find what you want and it is much easier to deal with any issues from a reputable jeweler at home.

Keith

I think buying wedding bands in a special place such as the Caribbean makes these rings so much more special so would not consider buying one at Costco in the mainland. Many years ago -- over 20 now -- we purchased our wedding bands in San Juan and they hold a very special meaning just because of that.

We probably got an ok deal -- much like you would find at Macy's or Costco --but they are priceless to us.

With that being said, you can get amazing deals in St Thomas. We have purchased several pieces of jewelry there -- do not be afraid to bargain. You do want to go to a reputable place -- and try to avoid those fly by night places. Check to see how long they have been there. We always go to Glitters -- I believe they are located in Havensight Mall, although they used to have a location downtown as well when we first started shopping there about 17 years ago. Fair pricing but there are others that will be able to do just as well. Again, don't be afraid to bargain and just stick to the jewelry stores that appear to be established. TripAdvisor has some consumer reviews that you may find helpful.

St.Thomas has had a good reputation for jewelry for years.

Ms. Pablo express mild interest in a ring in a well known jewelery

store in St. Thomas. Cruise line recommended, etc.

The first price was $6000.

After a she chatted a while, the price was down to $2500.

She wasn't interested, and didn't buy.

If I had bought a ring there for $6000, that actually sells for less

than $2500, I would have kicked myself in the butt so hard, I

would have beaten the ship back to Ft. Lauderdale.

What reason do the shops there have to give a 'deal'?

There are another 10,000 tourists arriving tomorrow...

Visit with my friend James at Ballerina Jewelers on Front Street across from A H Riise. Tell him I sent you. I have been dealing with him for almost 20 years now and he is very honest and good.

Cheryl

While at St Thomas, "She Who Must Be Obeyed" had to have a new diamond ring NOW. We purchased a very nice (read expensive) ring.

Upon return home we took the ring to Fred Cuellar, author of "How To Buy A Diamond", for appraisal.

Surprise, Surprise, we paid too much.

No worries. I sent a copy of the appraisal to Diamonds International head quarters in NYC and, believe it or not, they refunded the difference.:)

All's Well That Ends Well!