Constellation Baltics Trip Report and Lots of Pictures!

Cindy

The view from my balcony...I couldn't stop pressing the shutter button! The air was crisp and clear, and the light was just beautiful!

IMG_9893-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9899C-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9897C-2W-L.jpg

One of my favorites of the whole trip!:)

We have a similar picture of a bird with Venice in the background. Didn't realize he was flying by till I was editing the pictures. Laughed when I saw yours. We'll be sailing on the silhouette in May and are looking forward to seeing all the wonderful places you photographed. Thanks for sharing.:)

Cindy,

I've not seen this mentioned in any of the other reports or tour descriptions that I have read. Can you tell me any more about where you saw this?

It was not too far from Christiansborg Palace, in a canal near where the water tour boats depart from. Sorry I can't be more specific...I have no idea what the canal was called! Try Googling Agnete and the Merman and see if you can get the exact location.

Speaking of birds from trips. I also captured one of the seagulls flying by our balcony (see below) but have no idea how I managed to get the second photo while in Copenhagen. :D I was actually adjusting my Iphone and accidentally hit the photo button at the same time this thing flew out of the hedge. Scared the living daylights out of me! :eek:

IMG_2096.jpg.a9dd240d2d1618a52ee0e9d91cc1dc7f.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg.1327246ced1f7aaa277599cf995be699.jpg

Cindy - I remember you mentioning the mosquitoes, but don't remember J&E mentioning that they had them on their balcony. We spent a couple of evenings out with them without incident. Your balcony must have been sweeter. :D

Lots of people love the Diamond and/or Concierge Lounge on RCI (for the happy hour), but it’s really not that big a deal to us. We like the lounge for the camaraderie and the nice, relaxing setting, but we usually end up taking our own drinks in with us because I don’t like the limited drink menu and I definitely don’t care for the house wine!:p So which benefits are better? That’s hard to say because they’re so different. We probably got more value out of the Celebrity benefits, but I did miss having a dedicated lounge and concierge. I like Royal Caribbean’s balcony discount better than Celebrity’s category upgrade, primarily because within the categories I book, there really isn’t a place to go!

We are Diamond/Elite and never received drink vouchers. :confused: We had the drink package, so it didn't really matter.

We also received our AQ1 for the AQ2 rate, so saved about $100pp when booking...the same as the Diamond Balcony Discount.

We prefer the Celebrity perks overall. Those Internet packages are great to have, and we did take advantage of the laundry coupons a couple of times.

Once again...great review and wonderful memories! :)

Speaking of birds from trips. I also captured one of the seagulls flying by our balcony (see below) but have no idea how I managed to get the second photo while in Copenhagen. :D I was actually adjusting my Iphone and accidentally hit the photo button at the same time this thing flew out of the hedge. Scared the living daylights out of me!

That Copenhagen picture is funny! It reminds me of the Stockholm picture that's one of my favorites...I had no idea there was a bird in it until I looked at the pictures on my computer.:eek:

Cindy - I remember you mentioning the mosquitoes, but don't remember J&E mentioning that they had them on their balcony. We spent a couple of evenings out with them without incident. Your balcony must have been sweeter.

Wow! I can't believe J & E didn't have the problem. It was worst for us in Warnemunde, the sea day after, and Helsinki, but they did come back in a lesser quantity a couple other times. I actually took some pictures, because I've never seen anything like it...the white of our balcony was black because of the density of the bugs.

It was a little upsetting that they never could figure out what was going on. I really thought it was an isolated incident, until yesterday when I read an absolutely scathing review of the Constellation. While I in no way, shape, or form agree with much of anything in the review I wasn't happy to read this:

"There were also a large amount of insects which made the Constellation their home (so much so that an acquaintance was unable to make use of their balcony throughout the trip)."

That comment really leads me to believe maybe there was something to Jim's theory of an infestation or nest that they haven't been successful in locating and getting rid of. It makes me wish I had been more insistent that management come up and take a look at the extent of the problem, or at least taken the pictures down so they could see what I saw.:(

We are Diamond/Elite and never received drink vouchers. :confused: We had the drink package, so it didn't really matter.

We also received our AQ1 for the AQ2 rate, so saved about $100pp when booking...the same as the Diamond Balcony Discount.

We prefer the Celebrity perks overall. Those Internet packages are great to have, and we did take advantage of the laundry coupons a couple of times.

Once again...great review and wonderful memories! :)

My mistake...the vouchers were on our last Royal Caribbean trip in April. The Constellation had the Elite cocktail hour, and we never went because of the drink package and the Martini Bar!:o

Edited by Cindy

I'll try to remember to ask them, but if they did, the little bug were not as bad as yours! :eek: They may have had some, but they live on the lake in SC and are use to bugs of all kinds. They may not have been bothered.

We didn't go to the Elite parties, either. However, we did go have cocktails on our own when the CC Elite events were going on. :D The window views from that lounge are so pretty. ;)

Where is the review that you refer to? :eek:

Where is the review that you refer to? :eek:

It's in the member review section -- the most recent one for the Constellation. I don't remember the exact title, but it was something like Worst Cruise Ever or Worst Cruise of my Career.:(

I just sent you an e-mail with some pictures!:)

Cindy do you remember how early disembarking began on the last day?

Your review was marvelous, can't wait for my turn. Thanks

I don't, but there were people from my roll call who did self-disembark for early flights and they made it with no problems.

We docked around 4:30!:eek: By the time we got off at 8:15, all the self-disembark people were long gone.

for taking the time to post such a talented review and amazing pictures.

I was fortunate enough to spend 2 full days touring the Hermitage, another day in Peterhof and the last day in the Russian Museum of Art. Since we took a hotel in walking distance to the Hermitage, we got there early and had a bit of "crowd control" :D We enjoyed the visit in spite of the "babushkas" guarding the rooms and the non existent air condition.

I was reluctant a lot of time to take this trip, since I was born in a communist country (Roumania), I know that the people are not happy, the infrastructure to wellcome tourists doesn't exist and the surroundings are drab - not my idea of a pleasant holiday....

I had the proof this year, when paying for tickets to the wall in Dubrovnik - the cashiers were talking between themselves and not at all pleased that I wanted to disturb them....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cindy!

I am sailing on the Constellation on October 2nd...What's up with all this recent negative Member Review after Member Review??? The Titles range from "Disappointing from top to bottom" to "Do Not Sail on the Constellation!"

Of course some comments are just stupid...or about things I could less about...but...the reviews starting from Mid 7/14 thru 8/14 are awful!

What do you make of this?

HLR

Edited by HLR

Hi Cindy!

I am sailing on the Constellation on October 2nd...What's up with all this recent negative Member Review after Member Review??? The Titles range from "Disappointing from top to bottom" to "Do Not Sail on the Constellation!"

Of course some comments are just stupid...or about things I could less about...but...the reviews starting from Mid 7/14 thru 8/14 are awful!

HLR

I've seen those, and honestly I think they're really puzzling. Everyone in our group loved the ship and had a great time!

Sometimes I wonder about a lot of those reviews. They're either written by people who found CC just to post a bad review, or people make up a new screen name just to post a review. It seems like few reviews are written by people who are also active in the forums, but I put more stock in those than I do the reviews from people who only stop in long enough to post a bad review.

I hope my experience is the accurate report and you have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

As it has been said numerous times in previous comments, Fabulous photos and amazing trip report! I felt like I was there with you, step by step, port by port.... and was a little sad it ended!

We are booked on a similar itinerary next June on RCI. Although ours won't include Amsterdam.

Thanks for all the great info you provided, especially the weather commentaries. That will help with my packing when it's time to do so.

:) Jasmine

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

As it has been said numerous times in previous comments, Fabulous photos and amazing trip report! I felt like I was there with you, step by step, port by port.... and was a little sad it ended!

We are booked on a similar itinerary next June on RCI. Although ours won't include Amsterdam.

Thanks for all the great info you provided, especially the weather commentaries. That will help with my packing when it's time to do so.

:) Jasmine

Hi Jasmine,

I was on the cruise right after Cindy and our weather in early June was Totally different. I agree that you should be prepared but you may be surprised. Our weather was mostly sunny and in the 70's. It only rained on the sea days. Have a wonderful time. It is a great itinerary.

Hi Cindy!

HLR

Hi HLR,

I was on the June 2nd cruise after Cindy's and I would agree with everything she said. The Constellation is a happy ship and it starts with Captain and his crew. A friend of mine was on the August 2nd sailing and she too had a wonderful time. She will be posting a review soon and she is very detail oriented. Please look for it. It will probably reassure you. Have a great trip.

Hi Jasmine,

I was on the cruise right after Cindy and our weather in early June was Totally different. I agree that you should be prepared but you may be surprised. Our weather was mostly sunny and in the 70's. It only rained on the sea days. Have a wonderful time. It is a great itinerary.

We will probably dress in layers and take our jackets just in case. But it would be nice if we have sunny nice weather and not have to worry about it. Thank you for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

Sailing on October 2nd on the Constellation... Was there any good ballroom dancing? Any particular nights they had swing or ballroom with the orchestra? Did people dance?

Howard

Cindy, until I stumbled on your post, I had no interest in the Baltic itinerary. Wow, have you changed my mind!

Your photos are spectacular. Especially enjoy the B&Ws.

Thanks so much!

Cindy, I'm considering this cruise for 2016. Your post has helped me immensely.

I was on the Connie RT Istanbul in October. Loved your photos of the ship. Brought back so many memories.

Cindy thanks for the great review and pics. I love the Connie so it made it even more special.

A quick question thought I will be flying out of Amsterdam after a TA cruise on the Silhouette next spring. By chance did you see many wheelchairs around. I will need one to get to the gate.thanks Norma

Sorry I have no info to help wheelchair inquiry..

The reason I asked where Connie was now, is that someone on our Jan roll call said Connie is having engine repairs but gave no other info..I have not heard about it if true......and was curious...

Sorry I have no info to help wheelchair inquiry..

The reason I asked where Connie was now, is that someone on our Jan roll call said Connie is having engine repairs but gave no other info..I have not heard about it if true......and was curious...

... a short, newly scheduled dry dock for three days after arriving in FL from the Mediterraneans. She is in the Med. now with a few short trips into the Black Sea.

Nothing too earth-shattering in three days. It was an opportunity not to be ignored, when a charter cancelled and evidently early sales to fill the ship for that three-day span were lackluster.

• 6 months later...

We will be on the Eurodam Baltics cruise in May 2015, we depart from Copenhagen and return there on 1 st June. Your review and photos are amazing and the information on your camera was very useful. We fly in to Amsterdam and have three days there prior to going to Copenhagen. After reading your review we are looking forward to experiencing the ports of call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk