LIVE from the Emerald - Mediterranean Medley July 12-26

Kinkacruiser

Greetings All,

Another 2 sea days before Barcelona, where the rain will ease off to reveal a stunning 19-26 C day. Rome is also looking great with the same temperature range. The mercury barely reached 20 C on board yesterday and very few braved the chilly day on deck.

Our first formal is tonight (day 3). The 2nd is scheduled for the night of Ajaccio (Corsica) and the final on the 2nd last night.

Watch this space for my Barcelona notes.

Cheers,

Anna

Hello dear Anna,

So pleased to see your new post today. I have been following your "Live from"

each day and enjoying hearing about these fantastic places.

I really hope you enjoy your Mediterranean leg, at least the temperatures sound a bit warmer.

Certainly warmer than here, with daily averages around 17 deg C. Even sunny Qld is feeling the chill.

Take care of yourselves,

love Kerry.

Thanks Anna for the "live from" for the next part of your holiday

Looking forward to following your journey including your thoughts on each of ports. Any tips i'll be making notes of and no doubt there will be others doing the same to.....:)

enjoy

Julia

Firstly, a big wave to Kerry in chilly Australia :D I know that Kinka is shivering as well, but it's about time we had a real winter.

Last night's formal saw many ladies in long gowns - must say the dress standard was higher than the Baltic cruise....overall an enjoyable night.

We passed through the straits of Gibraltar in the dark, so hope to catch the views on the return trip. One more sea day :rolleyes: .I'm restless to go exploring. We have 5 port days in a row - Ajaccio, Rome, Florence, Genoa, Monte Carlo - then a sea day and finally Gibraltar, before the 2 days sail into Southampton.

Weather has not been flash - a little milder but overcast yesterday and it's still dark, so I can't see what's on the menu today.

Back in a few days....

Cheers,

Anna

Edited by Kinkacruiser

You may have a sighting of the Concordia as she's towed to Genoa for dismantlement. They successfully floated her today.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the note Pam. I've seen that story on the BBC news recently...hope we get a glimpse of her.

For the CD followers, the very popular Kelvin Joy will be leaving Emerald at the end of the cruise.

Weather looks stunning for the next 5 port days with a couple of hot ones in Rome and Florence .. 21-32 c and 16-33 c respectively.

Cheers until tomorrow

Anna

Sad to hear that Kevin Joy is leaving the Emerald for holiday. He is one of

best cruise directors that princess has. We did enjoy him on the Baltic

Cruise 28June with you. Enjoying your reports on the second leg of your cruise. Thanks for the updates.

Last night's formal saw many ladies in long gowns - must say the dress standard was higher than the Baltic cruise....overall an enjoyable night.

Back in a few days....

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Anna,

We're sailing on the Emerald on 30th October, so I am interested in your posts to give me an idea of what it will be like (our first cruise). There are very conflicting opinions of formal nights for what men should wear, but that spans all cruise lines, so am hoping you can help me with the Emerald in particular. I was going to take my tux, so I be as dressed up as my girlfriend so she doesn't feel overdressed next to me. Or do most men just wear normal suits. I know it doesn't really matter too much, as people do what they want to do, but don't want to feel overdressed.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Hi Anna,

We're sailing on the Emerald on 30th October, so I am interested in your posts to give me an idea of what it will be like (our first cruise). There are very conflicting opinions of formal nights for what men should wear, but that spans all cruise lines, so am hoping you can help me with the Emerald in particular. I was going to take my tux, so I be as dressed up as my girlfriend so she doesn't feel overdressed next to me. Or do most men just wear normal suits. I know it doesn't really matter too much, as people do what they want to do, but don't want to feel overdressed.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Gareth

if you sail out of Southampton you may find a high mix of Tux's and Suits as it seems us Brits do like to dress up. Our last one on the Grand (3 Nights) had no formal night planned but a high percentage of us dressed up anyway. Lots of Tux's, Suits and some in Kilts.....

We're on the Emerald from the 16th of Sept and I have already got Hubbies Tux cleaned ready, he just wants a new dress shirt. I'm assuming your sailing from Southampton to so if luggage is not an issue take it anyway as I doubt you will feel out of place.....

Enjoy

Julia

Gareth

if you sail out of Southampton you may find a high mix of Tux's and Suits as it seems us Brits do like to dress up. Our last one on the Grand (3 Nights) had no formal night planned but a high percentage of us dressed up anyway. Lots of Tux's, Suits and some in Kilts.....

We're on the Emerald from the 16th of Sept and I have already got Hubbies Tux cleaned ready, he just wants a new dress shirt. I'm assuming your sailing from Southampton to so if luggage is not an issue take it anyway as I doubt you will feel out of place.....

Enjoy

Julia

Thanks Julia. Yes, we're going from Southampton on 30th September. We're travelling by car so lots of room for suitcases. Just don't want to fill the whole cabin with clothes. ;)

Gareth.

Thanks for the note Pam. I've seen that story on the BBC news recently...hope we get a glimpse of her.

For the CD followers, the very popular Kelvin Joy will be leaving Emerald at the end of the cruise.

Weather looks stunning for the next 5 port days with a couple of hot ones in Rome and Florence .. 21-32 c and 16-33 c respectively.

Cheers until tomorrow

Anna

Hello Anna,

We sail in the Baltic with the Emerald leaving SH on August 16th. Wondering if you know who the new cruise director will be? This will be my 3rd time on the Emerald.... I hope she's looking good and the ship and the crew are performing well!

Mike

Hi Anna,

Arlene here just anxiously waiting for your live posts.

I have a question for you...I had heard that Princess was going to change their washers and dryers from coin to swiping your cruise card and have it automatically go to your bill:confused: Could you please find out for me because we usually bring quarters with us. I would really appreciate it.

Talk to you soon. Arlene:):p

Thanks Anna for a really interesting report. Looking forward to reading more!

It was strange for us to drive to the port on Saturday and wave Isobel and Fiona off, knowing that we were so close to joining them. Please say hi to them from us if you are in touch.

Hope you really enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Day after Barcelona - Well our 4 hour 'taste' of Barcelona with Barcelona Day Tours was just perfect. If you see nothing else, make La Sagrada Familia church (due to be completed in just 12 years) and Park Guell a priority. I've seen many photos of this church, but nothing compared with standing in front of it...just amazing. Barcelona is a beautiful city and Gaudi certainly left his mark on it. In general, the architecture of the city is in the "moderism" style and reminded me a lot of Buenos Aires, though with with a lot more greenery. Just a point of interest..the completion of the church relies on finding from visitors,so when funds run out, work stops. The newish ( 2 year old) port terminal is very smart and there is a souvenir, wine /alcohol outlet after Spanish security ;)

This morning before Ajaccio we will enjoying a Champagne Balcony breakfast (compliments of our sweet travel agent).

Gareth - if you have a choice of suits, take the tux :)

Arlene - it's still quarters but I'll check on the card. I was in the C deck laundromat pressing slacks yesterday, and noted how large it was - 4 ironing boards.

Lomo linda - I find the mattress perfect and the pillows unbelievably luxurious, but it depends if you like a soft mattress. Why not try the first night and see what you think?

Mike - I'll ask who the new purser will be and get back to you.

Cheers till tomorrow,

Anna

Hello Anna,

We sail in the Baltic with the Emerald leaving SH on August 16th. Wondering if you know who the new cruise director will be? This will be my 3rd time on the Emerald.... I hope she's looking good and the ship and the crew are performing well!

Mike

hi,its billy London,we are boarding on the 26th july,does anyone know him,cheers brian.

We're about to dock in Ajaccio and from the window here it looks touristy - beaches, yachts and high rise along the coast.

Just getting back to your queries...

Arlene - no cruise card swiping (as far as the staff know), but they agree it's a good idea.

Mike - new CD will be Billy London.

By the way, we picked a perfect morning for our Champagne balcony breakfast - there were 5 serving trays carried into our cabin.....delicious! It's a treat being spoiled :D

See you tomorrow....

Anna

hi,its billy London,we are boarding on the 26th july,does anyone know him,cheers brian.

Hi Brian

As you may know we are on the same cruise next week.

We had Billy on our 2006 Grand Princess cruise. Seemed as good as any other CD. He did like to spend evenings in the Crooners bar dueting with the pianist/singer who was the resident entertainer in that lounge. It was packed out there every evening too.

Hi Anna

Hope this cruise is as good as your previous one. I would imagine the mix of passengers is slightly different to a week ago? More Brits perhaps and of course kids.

Have you been able to sample more of the late nightlife on this cruise?

Peter

anna, are the mattresses newer/more comfortable

or should i request egg crates ??

enjoying your reviews !!;)

Anna seems to have been lucky with her mattress. I've sailed on the Emerald 3 times, always in a balcony on Baja or Caribe, and each time the mattress has been terrible--hard and "butt sprung." On the most recent cruise, I used 2 (very thin) foam toppers folded in fourths, and put them under the sheet in the middle of the bed. It looked funny but worked perfectly! :)