Shore excursions question.

racer72

What do we need to show that we have paid for our shore excursions in port? My wife thinks we need copies of all the emails, bank statements, HAL notices and such. I told her we will be provided the items we need when we board the ship or just before we get off the ship for the excursion. Help me save some ink and paper, I really don't want to carry a bunch of emails and such just to show we paid for each excursion.

When you arrive in your stateroom your excursion "tickets" will be there. I usually bring a copy of the email re the transaction just in case there is an issue although I have never needed them.

What do we need to show that we have paid for our shore excursions in port? My wife thinks we need copies of all the emails, bank statements, HAL notices and such. I told her we will be provided the items we need when we board the ship or just before we get off the ship for the excursion. Help me save some ink and paper, I really don't want to carry a bunch of emails and such just to show we paid for each excursion.

When you arrive in your cabin there will be a bright pink envelope either on the bed or on the desk with your shore excursion tickets in it. I do carry one printout of my confirmed reservations but have never needed it!

Karen

I always bring one copy of the HAL shore excursion purchase confirmation e-mail, and I have needed it more than once.

The bright pink envelope isn't always there waiting when I arrive, so I know I have some info to work from if it isn't delivered shortly.

When I do get it, I compare the excursion tickets with the bookings to see if they are all there; sometimes at least one is missing. In that case, I know to check on it. Sometimes my tour departure time has been changed, either a few minutes or morning/afternoon. I need to make at least mental note of that!

But no, you don't need every single piece of paper that pertains to every single thing. Save a tree!

I also print out a copy of everything -- shore excursions, specialty restaurants, purchase of beverage cards, etc. -- we purchase online from HAL. And if we have ordered something from Ship Services, I have them send me an e-mail so that I can print that out as well.

I also make a copy of any shipboard credit that we are due that is sent to us from our TA.

And we have also encountered problems when we get on the ship.

You don't need the bank statements.

If you cruise with virtually any electronic device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, e-reader, even a camera), just place a digital version on your device. I keep copies of all relevant documents on both my iPhone and iPad.

If you cruise with virtually any electronic device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, e-reader, even a camera), just place a digital version on your device. I keep copies of all relevant documents on both my iPhone and iPad.

^quoting for truth! Don't waste space/ink/paper printing out things, just send the digital copies to your mobile device and be done with it.

You'll prolly not need the proof as HAL is pretty much on top of things. 'Least with us they always were.

Derek

I bring both a paper and a digital copy of confirmation emails. Even if you don't carry any digital device, as long as the email has not been deleted from your service, in a pinch you could access it from a ship's computer and print a copy to show the front desk.

I print a copy of my confirmation email for any purchase that I have made prior to boarding. I also print a copy of confirmations from my TA re OBC. Several times I have needed to provide these onboard to work out an issue with the Shore Excursion Office and the Front Office.

^quoting for truth! Don't waste space/ink/paper printing out things, just send the digital copies to your mobile device and be done with it.

You'll prolly not need the proof as HAL is pretty much on top of things. 'Least with us they always were.

Derek

Don't count on being able to use a mobile device. It wasn't acceptable on one cruise I was in. They wanted the paper email (May/June 2013).).

I put a lot of info on my Ipad, but when it comes to stuff booked with HAL, I will bring the paper email.

I'd rather have the proof. I have had things not be there on the odd occasion. Forewarned is forearmed. And it can quickly go in recycling if all is in order

Don't count on being able to use a mobile device. It wasn't acceptable on one cruise I was in. They wanted the paper email (May/June 2013).).

I put a lot of info on my Ipad, but when it comes to stuff booked with HAL, I will bring the paper email.

I'd rather have the proof. I have had things not be there on the odd occasion. Forewarned is forearmed. And it can quickly go in recycling if all is in order

There are several options for printing a document on board should someone insist on paper. A better option I feel than printing everything before hand, just in case.

There are several options for printing a document on board should someone insist on paper. A better option I feel than printing everything before hand, just in case.

Agree - but had an Ipad and they couldn't print. I can at home with my hp, but.. They couldn't or wouldn't . For the pieces of paper involved, I'd rather be safe than sorry;)

Agree - but had an Ipad and they couldn't print. I can at home with my hp, but.. They couldn't or wouldn't . For the pieces of paper involved, I'd rather be safe than sorry;)

Agreed, when in doubt, take the safe route! We are in an age when we can do so many things electronically, from depositing cheques to turning up the heat in our house from afar when returning from a Caribbean cruise in the dead of winter, but some enterprises still need to be dragged into the 21st Century. :)

You may have to get internet access to print an excursion confirmation email; I don't use ships' slow internet. For me it is just easier to take a printed copy with me. Saving 4 or 5 pieces of paper while flying to a cruise which burns up lots of fuel sailing the ocean for your pleasure is really being green insignificantly ;) You get a lot more print materials from the cruise line on your cruise.

Edited by Boytjie

You may have to get internet access to print an excursion confirmation email; I don't use ships' slow internet. For me it is just easier to take a printed copy with me. Saving 4 or 5 pieces of paper while flying to a cruise which burns up lots of fuel sailing the ocean for your pleasure is really being green insignificantly ;) You get a lot more print materials from the cruise line on your cruise.

No need for internet. I simply "print" any emails I want as PDFs before leaving home and keep them on my devices. Being green is only a bonus: I just don't lug around unnecessary paper. Same reason that I use ebooks and magazines rather than printed books and mags. Every little bit helps. :)

No need for internet. I simply "print" any emails I want as PDFs before leaving home and keep them on my devices. Being green is only a bonus: I just don't lug around unnecessary paper. Same reason that I use ebooks and magazines rather than printed books and mags. Every little bit helps. :)

My mobile device is an iphone; cannot save it as a PDF (could save a jpeg). I have the emails, I just don't have the interner access to print it onboard and while I could be wasting time going to the Internet cafe to get a copy I prefer to just hand then the paper copy and get on with shipboard life. :)

My mobile device is an iphone; cannot save it as a PDF (could save a jpeg). I have the emails, I just don't have the interner access to print it onboard and while I could be wasting time going to the Internet cafe to get a copy I prefer to just hand then the paper copy and get on with shipboard life. :)

Exactly. Hal has been known not to accept something on a device. Better to have paper in the case with Hal. I remember this same paper vs device discussion a few years ago. The pro paper person said that if they were in the middle of nowhere and they had to do a deuce at least he'd have paper :D.

It's time we stopped highjacking this shore excursion thread. :)

Since the original question has been pretty well answered, at this point it's more "thread drift" than "hijacking".

If there's a problem with any of the pre-purchased items, then it's important to have printed proof of the purchase. The Front Desk can't work it out from a screen. And we all know that the ship's internet isn't always in working order.

Better to bring the print-out with you.

What hijacking? I am responding about shore excursion verification. Maybe you need to think why you feel the need to post totally OT? ;)