Jewel or Adventure for S. Caribbean?

Which ship?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship?

• Jewel of the Seas
    • Adventure of the Seas

I'm looking to do a B2B out of San Juan doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on which ship they would choose between JOS or AOS?

I know it's subjective, but I've never been on an RCI ship before (Allure 11/14).

Michaelsop, We have done the 10 and 11 night Southern Caribbean on Jewel OTS out of Florida before she moved to San Juan. She is a fantastic ship with a great crew ideally suited for this itinerary. Since she relocated we have been doing the same cruises out of Florida on the Celebrity Equinox. Another great choice if you would like to compare.

Edited by Scotty G

We've done other Radiance class ships (Serenade and Brilliance)and Adventure out of San Juan. I preferred the Radiance class but I thought both were great ships with fantastic itineraries.

Adventure: My DH loved the cigar lounge on the Adventure and night life was a little more fun with the Royal Promenade bars being in such close proximity of each other and the Promenade Cafe - everything centers around the Royal Promenade plus there are parades through there. I don't care for the enclosed balconies on the Adventure, I thought the staff was a little less connected and I didn't like having to go down to the Royal Promenade for my early morning coffee (before room service start time). Except for a real dislike of the balconies I can't put my finger on why I prefer the Radiance class, I just do.

Jewel (Radiance class): LOVE the outside Windjammer seating, love the ocean views and outside decks on 5 and really like the full balcony glass to the floor. Staff has always seemed more eager to please but that is subjective.

I don't think ship size and amenities are as important on the port intensive itineraries. Both ships offer a great Southern Caribbean vacation. The real difference is the Royal Promenade vs. the Centrum and outdoor promenade. I think you would enjoy either ship so, if it were me, I would make my choice based on itinerary preference.

Edited by NemoCrownie

I've done both and you really can't go wrong. If I do another, I will choose by itinerary. My last cruise had only one sea day - the last day - it was exhausting. I have discovered that I need a little more down time than a very port intensive cruise provides.

Thank you for starting this thread/poll as I am weighing my options as well between the Jewel and Adventure for a 2016 Southern Caribbean cruise.

I am a Radiance-class virgin however I really really really want to try this class of ship. I don't think I will like the enclosed Solarium or lack of a Royal Promenade (and no 24-hour Cafe Promenade) on the Jewel however the outdoor Windjammer seating, big beautiful windows throughout the ship and several ports that I have never been to have me leaning towards booking the Jewel.

I'm so happy to hear others say that you can't go wrong with either ship.

Thank you for starting this thread/poll as I am weighing my options as well between the Jewel and Adventure for a 2016 Southern Caribbean cruise.

I am a Radiance-class virgin however I really really really want to try this class of ship. I don't think I will like the enclosed Solarium or lack of a Royal Promenade (and no 24-hour Cafe Promenade) on the Jewel however the outdoor Windjammer seating, big beautiful windows throughout the ship and several ports that I have never been to have me leaning towards booking the Jewel.

I'm so happy to hear others say that you can't go wrong with either ship.

I'm rare with my answer as many seasoned RCL cruisers find that the Radiance Class is their favorite size and class of ship. I voted Adventure.

By a small'ish margin between classes of ships, I personally find the Voyager Class to be my very favorite with Radiance Class at the bottom of the list: Ice show, massive theatre, 3-tier dining, the Royal Promenade, a much better pool deck, a much better/larger sports court area, ease of navigation within the ship, excellent site lines to the ocean from anywhere top deck, the perfect size ship for me.

Having said that, a port intensive cruise will likely not matter which ship. I would go with itinerary if this part of the world is important for you and you've never been. Both ships will be awesome for you. Whichever you choose, have a great cruise!:D

Have cruised on both those ships out of San Juan...also on Serenade out of San Juan (sister to Jewel).

I expected to be disappointed in the Radiance Class ships before booking, thinking I'd miss the ice rink and the Royal Promenade. To that point, Adventure was my favorite ship.

Quite the opposite. As someone said, these southern Caribbean cruises are very port-intensive. You really don't have much time to miss the larger ship's amenities. And personally, the outdoor dining in the Windjammer is worth more than the ice rink and promenade combined!

I loved Serenade so much, I booked Jewel. I loved Jewel so much, I booked another cruise on Jewel!

I love Adventure too; you really can't go wrong with either decision here. But Jewel is probably my favorite ship to date.

I'm rare with my answer as many seasoned RCL cruisers find that the Radiance Class is their favorite size and class of ship. I voted Adventure.

By a small'ish margin between classes of ships, I personally find the Voyager Class to be my very favorite with Radiance Class at the bottom of the list: Ice show, massive theatre, 3-tier dining, the Royal Promenade, a much better pool deck, a much better/larger sports court area, ease of navigation within the ship, excellent site lines to the ocean from anywhere top deck, the perfect size ship for me.

Having said that, a port intensive cruise will likely not matter which ship. I would go with itinerary if this part of the world is important for you and you've never been. Both ships will be awesome for you. Whichever you choose, have a great cruise!:D

That sums up my opinion very well. Both are great. We've been on Adventure 3X and Jewel/Brilliance all out of San Juan. I'd pick Adventure over the other by a thin margin. We loved Jewel and Brilliance and will be on Serenade this winter, but still like the slightly larger ship with the promenade. I think the outdoor windjammer seating/ocean views on the Radiance class are nice, but over-rated here. You can't go wrong with either one, if a friend asked me to help choose I'd say do it based on the ports and leave it at that.

Great thread. It was a tough call for me......so I booked both. Adventure has more standard aft balcony options. This worked out best for my group trip. I will follow along but appears to be a pretty close call, so go with the best value and itinerary for you

We've done both ships. I voted for Adventure. We didn't really care for Jewel. Yes, it's a beautiful ship with all the glass and the open area of the WJ, but it was the most boring ship we have ever been on. Entertainment is very important to us on a cruise, and Jewel had terrible shows and other activities. We missed the Promenade as an entertainment venue (the Captains reception is the small lounge just wasn't the same). We missed the ice show, and talented lounge/bar singers, etc.

Hands down Jewel. Not a fan of the bigger ships. Radiance class are absolutely the most beautiful ships RCCL has. We will be on Jewel for two weeks in August...can't wait.

Edited by DShock

Last winter we did a week on each b2b (almost!) with night in San Juan in between. That worked really well as we got sightseeing time and I used the hotel's self service laundry. We got to experience both ships and the only port we duplicated was st Kitts.

Last winter we did a week on each b2b (almost!) with night in San Juan in between. That worked really well as we got sightseeing time and I used the hotel's self service laundry. We got to experience both ships and the only port we duplicated was st Kitts.

So which ship did you like better?

Liked the both for different reasons and enjoyed having the two experiences. Jewel was better service and crew were outstanding and LOVED the outside seating area in Windjammer. It made breakfast a real pleasure.

I like to use the fitness centre onboard and Adventure had a much better set up there, pool area felt less crowded and my son much preferred the larger Adventure Ocean area.

But if I had to call it...Jewel.

Liked the both for different reasons and enjoyed having the two experiences. Jewel was better service and crew were outstanding and LOVED the outside seating area in Windjammer. It made breakfast a real pleasure.

I like to use the fitness centre onboard and Adventure had a much better set up there, pool area felt less crowded and my son much preferred the larger Adventure Ocean area.

But if I had to call it...Jewel.

Great, thanks for the breakdown. I think I am going to book The Jewel just because I have never been on a Radiance-class ship.