What happens if my roommate can't travel?

Faircliff

Could anyone tell me what happens if my roommate cannot travel after final payment? She has broken an ankle and at this point is not even in a cast and cannot put weight on the foot. With only eight weeks to go till the cruise, we do not even know if they will put her in a walking cast at that point.

What does this mean for me? Will her cancellation insurance cover the cost for her but I can still have the room to myself? Or does Princess allow us to substitute another person (if we can even find one)? I certainly hope they do not make me pay full price for the room!!

We will check with our TA once we have a bit more information from the doctors but I'm looking for opinions now on how to handle this.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My sister had this same situation occur on her cruise to Alaska a couple of years ago. Her roommate had insurance, which reimbursed her for the cruise fare, and my sister had the cabin to herself for the week--no additional charge for her. Fortunately they were traveling with a big group, so my sister had plenty of people for company.

If both passengers have insurance then the above scenario applies. Without insurance is an entirely different situation.

A lot depends on how much of a penalty is assessed (vs. returned to the canceling traveler) as to whether one should be a cancelation or a no-show. Yes, Princess will allow a substitute if one person remains the same on the reservation.

I may be off base, but when was the break? I'm guessing it was bad enough to require surgery, or is it so recent she hasn't been able to see the orthopedic surgeon yet? I'm asking because I broke my ankle about 1 1/2 weeks before our British Isles cruise, but I admit it wasn't a really bad break. My doc put me in a boot, and we borrowed a wheelchair. We also took my crutches with us. I did tell my doc about the planned vacation and he went with the least restrictive, but safe, course of action.

I may be off base, but when was the break? I'm guessing it was bad enough to require surgery, or is it so recent she hasn't been able to see the orthopedic surgeon yet? I'm asking because I broke my ankle about 1 1/2 weeks before our British Isles cruise, but I admit it wasn't a really bad break. My doc put me in a boot, and we borrowed a wheelchair. We also took my crutches with us. I did tell my doc about the planned vacation and he went with the least restrictive, but safe, course of action.

Same with me. I've broken my ankle three times and have been lucky in that each time has been a clean simple break. I did it once a week before a 17 day cruise to the Central Med and did just like bconley did. Got my consultant to put a walking boot on, hired a wheelchair and used it ashore / round the ship and crutches for short distances. We also took the advice of the tours people with what to do but still mainly DIYed. Sure, we had to modify our plans but we got off at every port, although Venice proved extremely difficult :D.

Don't give up hope yet!

Edited by tartanexile81

Could anyone tell me what happens if my roommate cannot travel after final payment? She has broken an ankle and at this point is not even in a cast and cannot put weight on the foot. With only eight weeks to go till the cruise, we do not even know if they will put her in a walking cast at that point.

What does this mean for me? Will her cancellation insurance cover the cost for her but I can still have the room to myself? Or does Princess allow us to substitute another person (if we can even find one)? I certainly hope they do not make me pay full price for the room!!

We will check with our TA once we have a bit more information from the doctors but I'm looking for opinions now on how to handle this.

If this was me, I'd check with Prncess, instead of gatting a lot of laymans advice. :o

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver one way

Same with me. I've broken my ankle three times and have been lucky in that each time has been a clean simple break. I did it once a week before a 17 day cruise to the Central Med and did just like bconley did. Got my consultant to put a walking boot on, hired a wheelchair and used it ashore / round the ship and crutches for short distances. We also took the advice of the tours people with what to do but still mainly DIYed. Sure, we had to modify our plans but we got off at every port, although Venice proved extremely difficult :D.

Don't give up hope yet!

3 times? LORD! Not the same one?

Sorry to drift off topic!

Derek

8 weeks is a long time, I hope your friend gets sorted soon. she can most likely travel in a wheel chair. as tartanexile81 said, things may have to be modified but its doable. if she's not comfortable going, I hope your combined insurance allows you to still go without it costing more.

If both passengers have insurance then the above scenario applies. Without insurance is an entirely different situation.

A lot depends on how much of a penalty is assessed (vs. returned to the canceling traveler) as to whether one should be a cancelation or a no-show. Yes, Princess will allow a substitute if one person remains the same on the reservation.

I'd argue that insurance or not, there's no difference in what happens with the remaining passenger - cruise fare for your cabin has been paid in full, go enjoy your cruise. For the person with the broken ankle, it's also reasonably clear: your fare has been paid. With insurance, you get a refund or credits or combination thereof. Without insurance, you have potentially an expensive non-vacation.

The break was just this past Monday, and currently she can't see the orthopedic surgeon until the 24th (even in Canada!). She has been in hospital until today and they have been looking at it but no one seems to know if it will be require a pin or not. Seems strange to me that she has to wait that long to see the guy. Current thoughts from the ER doctor, house Dr., and nurses is that even if she doesn't have a pin in it she will have to stay nonweightbearing for eight weeks... And cannot use crutches.

We will live and hope that it is a simple break although at this point they say it is unstable. She did get very expensive insurance, not from Princess, but from our travel agency so hopefully it would cover her cost.

I really feel for her and I can't complain because last summer I fell and broke both my ankles in three places (!!!) weeks before a Bermuda cruise I was taking with my sister. In that case we both canceled and cancellation insurance was used for both parties. If nothing else this proves the point that one should always get cancellation and medical insurance when one goes on a cruise!

I appreciate hearing that people have still gone on the cruise without their partner/sister/friend and it has worked out. We are cruising with other friends so I would not be alone, and the thought of a balcony cabin all to myself is kind of appealing. ;-)

Exactly. The only issue is how the hotel charge is handled. I would assume they would not charge for that.

As far as the cruise line would be concerned, your roommate would simply be a no-show at sailing, and it would be up to her to claim any refund via insurance.

I'd argue that insurance or not, there's no difference in what happens with the remaining passenger - cruise fare for your cabin has been paid in full, go enjoy your cruise. For the person with the broken ankle, it's also reasonably clear: your fare has been paid. With insurance, you get a refund or credits or combination thereof. Without insurance, you have potentially an expensive non-vacation.

You might ask Princess or your TA how and if a single-supplement will come into play. Whether or not you also have cruise insurance may come into play, too.

If you go solo, whether via cabin-mate cancellation or no-show (they will know when your roomie doesn't check in on sailing day), you may get hit with a SS. If that is the case, you may be better off both cancelling (depending on insurance), and rebooking a future cruise when your roomie has fully recovered.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Except that when the cruiseline refunds a portion of the fare (generally at 14 days or more prior to the cruise) they no longer have a paid in full cabin; they can and do refare the single passenger in this instance. Most insurance will cover this increase if the cancellation is for a covered reason.

What you and Loonbeam are discounting is that it is 8 weeks prior to sailing, right at the cusp of the penalties changing from deposit amount to 50%. If the friend finds out next week that she cannot travel, she will cancel and get half her fare from the cruiseline, half from the insurance. The insurance will not cover her medical cancellation if she is a no-show, nor will they pay more if she delays canceling and is assessed a larger penalty. Once she is medically advised not to travel, the clock stops on that day and she must cancel in a timely manner.

Edited by cherylandtk

You are right, I misread it as closer than that.

I could see the difference being charged between the 50 percent and the single supplement if it comes down to it.

Except that when the cruiseline refunds a portion of the fare (generally at 14 days or more prior to the cruise) they no longer have a paid in full cabin; they can and do refare the single passenger in this instance. Most insurance will cover this increase if the cancellation is for a covered reason.

What you and Loonbeam are discounting is that it is 8 weeks prior to sailing, right at the cusp of the penalties changing from deposit amount to 50%. If the friend finds out next week that she cannot travel, she will cancel and get half her fare from the cruiseline, half from the insurance. The insurance will not cover her medical cancellation if she is a no-show, nor will they pay more if she delays canceling and is assessed a larger penalty. Once she is medically advised not to travel, the clock stops on that day and she must cancel in a timely manner.

Nothing is mentioned about the passenger with the non-injury. Do you go have your own insurance? Your insurance should cover you in this case (you will be able to keep the cabin as a solo, if both if you have insurance).

I traveled ONCE, without insurance and my cabin mate needed surgery. Neither of us had insurance. She didn't want to be a no show, even though her entire fare was no longer refundable. I had to be refared as a solo with a supplement.

Try replacing your cabin mate as a back up.

Nothing is mentioned about the passenger with the non-injury. Do you go have your own insurance? Your insurance should cover you in this case (you will be able to keep the cabin as a solo, if both if you have insurance).

I traveled ONCE, without insurance and my cabin mate needed surgery. Neither of us had insurance. She didn't want to be a no show, even though her entire fare was no longer refundable. I had to be refared as a solo with a supplement.

Try replacing your cabin mate as a back up.

Yes, I have insurance as well but don't want to cancel out of the cruise as we are going with other friends in another cabin. Given the cost of cruises finding another single person could be hard. Paying twice the cost isn't really an option for me - I was already at my max.

As soon as we hear anything I will see what the TA can figure out.

...Given the cost of cruises finding another single person could be hard. Paying twice the cost isn't really an option for me - I was already at my max...

Finding a cabin mate on short notice, unless you know him/her well, may end up being a mistake if it turns out you aren't compatible cruisers. With luck, your insurance will cover you for the injury of a traveling companion and pay any increased cost of a refare for you as a solo.

Keep us posted!

Edited by Ryndam2002

Yes, I have insurance as well but don't want to cancel out of the cruise as we are going with other friends in another cabin. Given the cost of cruises finding another single person could be hard. Paying twice the cost isn't really an option for me - I was already at my max.

As soon as we hear anything I will see what the TA can figure out.

Good luck. It's been a long while but doubt that the insurance policy has changed significantly. On two booked cruises with my former mother in law: she developed pneumonia and I traveled in the cabin solo and on another booked Alaskan cruise, she had to cancel due to an illness. I canceled too and we both received a full refund inside our final payment dates.

I'd argue that insurance or not, there's no difference in what happens with the remaining passenger - cruise fare for your cabin has been paid in full, go enjoy your cruise.

You can argue as you wish -- but under some circumstances,

Princess will want to collect the single supplement from the

remaining passenger. If the remaining passenger has insurance,

it will cover this.

If you were running a business, would you not want to collect

against an insured loss?

A couple of years ago, my cruise buddy had to cancel 2 weeks before we were due to sail. She had fallen and fractured her shoulder, and for her just flying to the port city would have been a problem because of managing luggage, etc.. Fortunately we both always purchase Princess insurance, so she was able to seek reimbursement for the cost of the cruise.

Since it was after final payment, I did not have to pay anything beyond the fare I had already paid, and got to do the cruise in the balcony cabin we had booked. Princess already had her fare, so there was no supplemental charge for me.

A couple of years ago, my cruise buddy had to cancel 2 weeks before we were due to sail. She had fallen and fractured her shoulder, and for her just flying to the port city would have been a problem because of managing luggage, etc.. Fortunately we both always purchase Princess insurance, so she was able to seek reimbursement for the cost of the cruise.

Since it was after final payment, I did not have to pay anything beyond the fare I had already paid, and got to do the cruise in the balcony cabin we had booked. Princess already had her fare, so there was no supplemental charge for me.

The same thing happened when my daughter's friend had to cancel 3 days before the cruise. Both had insurance. Princess did not charge the single supplement.

Let me ask a hypothetical question.....

Lets say as a single the cruise would cost me $2400 , added insurance makes it $2500 total.

My friend decides to go, $1200 each and $100 insurance each.

She can cancel for ANY REASON and insurance pays her a FULL REFUND.

so this means I sail in a cabin that cost me ONLY $1300, that as a SINGLE would have cost me $2500 ????????

Why wouldn't people do this often for a single half price cruise????

Let me ask a hypothetical question.....

Lets say as a single the cruise would cost me $2400 , added insurance makes it $2500 total.

My friend decides to go, $1200 each and $100 insurance each.

She can cancel for ANY REASON and insurance pays her a FULL REFUND.

so this means I sail in a cabin that cost me ONLY $1300, that as a SINGLE would have cost me $2500 ????????

Why wouldn't people do this often for a single half price cruise????

Most any reason cancellation does not pay 100% in cash it is either a full credit or a percentage in cash. They make you put some skin in the game.

Edited by cherylandtk

I was the cruise buddy and having insurance worked out very well for both of us. The moral of the story is Always Have The Insurance!!!