Just the name Carnival....

i don't have a hard time with anything i mention to others regarding carnival. At this point, folks around me are starting to know better. It's my money. My vacation. My business. And i could care less what you think. Especially since the snide remarks i usually get are from folks who have never sailed carnival and/or never sailed at all. Nor have they done any research or reading beyond quick headlines to actually gain a little insight before they come out their faces sounding like a bunch of idiots. I've mostly been on short cruises. No issues there either. And i've grown to love carnival enough to double my time onboard this year from last year. If they don't want me to say anything about their annual trips "down south" or "camping" or to the same amusement parks, then ya best keep your pie hole shut about where and how i spend my vacation dollars.

To each his or her own. The end. ;)

word..

I'm an avid Disney fan and have been in 3 Disney cruises. I just went on my first Carnival cruise and had a blast! Trying to convince some DCL fans that they can have a great time on a less expensive cruise is next to impossible. They talk of "Disney Touches" and how that makes DCL so much better. I guess it's what you care about. I care about a safe and fun environment, friendly staff, a nice room, cleanliness, fun water activities, a nice kid's program, good food, and somewhere where I can watch the ocean go by. I don't need much else. Maybe others require more? Dunno. I was very happy with Carnival. So much that I'm canceling a Disney cruise to go on another Carnival cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival is my favorite. We've been on the others and their fine but best trip for the money is Carnival. You can purchase a flower arrangement that will last your whole cruise if flowers are your thing. I like the party atmosphere, it's not a rave event or "wild in the streets ", it's a party ! I can play "dress up " when I want to and dress down when I don't. Just give me some decent musicians and singers, a chance to play roulette and bingo, and meals that are better than the ones I don't prepare every night, and I'm good. Ok, I also like an adult pool and hot tub, so maybe sometimes I'm hard to please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do also believe a cruise is what you make it:cool:

AMEN!!! Even on our worst cruise we managed to have a good time. It's all about perspective! Having said that, we love CCL. We still feel like we get the most bang for the buck, followed very closely by PCL (IMHO). We have some friends who only cruise on RCCL. RCCL is good, but we don't feel like it's that much better than CCL. A lot of it also depends on which area you are cruising in. The Caribbean does seem to be a little bit more "lively" on board as compared to say Alaska or New England for example. We aren't loyal to any one line either. We feel like we would get bored sailing on the same line over and over, but that's just us.

We just feel so blessed to be able to cruise and enjoy each day God gives us. We are trying to do as much as we can while we still can - we are not promised tomorrow!

Actual conversation between 2 men in front of me in the HUGE, SLOW debarkation line on Royal's Explorer of the Seas trying to get off in New Jersey.

Guy1: Well could be worse... we could be on a Carnival ship.

Guy2: Yeah, (laughs) no kidding...OR Norwegian!

Guy1: Yeah really! Which ones (ships) have you been on?

Guy2: Me? None of them...I wouldn't sail either.

Guy1: Me either. (then they chatted about their Royal experiences)

Guess maybe I must be part of the problem...:D

CCL's reputation is well earned.

Don't try to change those peoples minds, they will only be a buzz kill on any CCL cruise.

LOL. I kind of agree with this. When I read a lot of people's reviews and posts my number one thought is that I would hate for them to be on my ship.

I think that in general, Carnival really does strive to be the home of the 'fun' ships. They are not fancy or pretentious. They have a lot of corny audience participation activities. I love that stuff, it's fun. I will always prefer that to excellent production shows that I could/would see in Las Vegas. People that want better entertainment have other options on other lines. I don't think it's a flaw to avoid trying to be all things to all people; it is an impossible task.

It's also a very inclusive line, the Wal-Mart comments mock that, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it. I like cruising with a wide variety of people, of different ages, races, and socioeconomic backgrounds. People who like to have a good time sail Carnival.

Part of what I perceive to be inclusivity is the weak VIFP program. I don't think it's a mistake by Carnival that they don't treat past guests like real VIPs. I think the people that really care about that stuff are likely to be looking elsewhere anyway. I think they want people, especially new cruisers, to feel comfortable the second they walk onto the ship, not to feel like second class citizens. I personally would be turned off if a bunch of fellow cruisers were given the best seats to the shows and other perks that emphasize the disparity between the 'swells' and the rest of us peons. I do enjoy Royal's past guest party and think that Carnival could do better in this area, but I don't share many commenters feelings of entitlement.

My sister is an attorney and is wanting to plan a family reunion/Christmas cruise. Despite her having never been on Carnival and only having been on RCCL once and NCL once, there's no way I can convince her to try Carnival. I'm just a truck driver and Carnival is beneath her.

My parents are 5-Star Mariners on HAL. I know, given the chance, my dad would give Carnival a try, but my mom thought RCCL was "a step or three" below HAL and would never be convinced that Carnival isn't beneath even RCCL.

To each their own. I find Carnival offers me a fun relaxing vacation away from the stresses of the highways at an affordable price.

In all seriousness, were this my family situation, I would suggest another vacation option. Good luck brother.

In all seriousness, were this my family situation, I would suggest another vacation option. Good luck brother.

Well to be honest, she wants the Christmas cruise (2015) to be on RCCL. My parents both told her they wouldn't be going, and I've told her I won't go because Royal tends to be more expensive (especially a holiday cruise with me being solo).

I may love RCCL if I tried them, but at this moment, I'm perfectly happy sailing CCL.

She may decide against it and choose something else. We'll see. A couple years ago we rented a mansion sized cabin in the Smokey's. It was nice but not relaxing with 40+ people there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by carolinaviking71208

I say to people, I am sailing Carnival and have a jolly happy look on my face. You can see the look on their face, like Carnival , are you serious? I say well Carnival isn't the most successful and profitable cruiseline in the world for nothing. I surprised even myself with how much I enjoy Carnival cruises. I was one of those who turned up my nose. Now I am over platinum. Carnival cruises are part of my repetoire of cruises especially when I feel like more fun. I enjoy the longer cruises and Europe ones and transatlantics when new ships come out cause you find an older crowd.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. We will sail Carnival Triumph in a little over a week as first time cruisers. My whole family is appalled we would sail anything other than RCL. Its good to hear good things about CCL. We're excited!

I, too, am one of those who was embarrassed to have to admit that we were going on a Carnival cruise (5-night Bahamas cruise on Fascination out of Jacksonville, July 2009.) The reason I was embarrassed was because I had been one of those who bad-mouthed Carnival, and really looked down my nose at Carnival cruisers, before I had ever set foot on any cruise ship, never mind a Carnival ship! I look back in embarrassment now, not because I cruised on Carnival, but because I had felt myself so superior to those "commoners" who cruised on Carnival. And of course I fancied myself even more superior after I took my first cruise, which was on Celebrity.

My negative impressions of Carnival stemmed almost exclusively from my willingness to swallow whole the elitist attitude of the author of the cruise book I had been carefully studying for at least a year to help me choose a cruise line. The British author of this Frommer's book made it sound like Carnival was OK for "some people," but those who had any dignity or self respect, and who really knew what cruising was and should be, would never consider it.

I have since realized that for a long time I was just as snooty as the book's author, so I totally agreed with everything he said, and I looked down my high-and-mighty nose at Carnival and its patrons -- that is, until I became one!

DH and I decided to take a chance on Carnival because it was so convenient for us to sail out of Jacksonville. And we had a fabulous cruise, and would do it again anytime. Now, that cruise was a few years back, and I don't know whether Carnival has changed since then, but I now hold my head high as a proud Carnival fan, and recommend the line to anyone who is interested in my opinion. And perhaps my opinion carries weight with some people because I can make valid comparisons --I have sailed with Celebrity, HAL, and Princess, as well as Carnival. And I think I am pretty convincing to people when I describe the good aspects of Carnival because I had been so ignorantly negative about Carnival before I saw the light!

I agree with you 100%, which is why I disagree when some people say that certain cruise lines are more alike than different. Even the perennial "rivals" (Royal Caribbean and Carnival) have HUGE differences IMHO. Whether these people NOTICE the differences or not is a different story.

I agree 100%. RCI and CCL ships look entirely different from one another, and offer completely different gimmicks. Same goes for Princess, HAL and Celebrity. When I'm on a cruise of any one particular brand, I know darn well I'm on that brand for all the things that make them unique. I'm not a fan of that "more alike than different" cliche either. In fact, I dislike it almost as much as "a cruise is what you make of it."

But back to the subject, Carnival has a reputation they are still trying to grow out of. After a string of ship mishaps, 2 of which were major, and numerous ship collisions, all of which were their fault, it's perfectly understandable that it's going to take some time for the bad stigma of "Carnival" to go away.

Well to be honest, she wants the Christmas cruise (2015) to be on RCCL. My parents both told her they wouldn't be going, and I've told her I won't go because Royal tends to be more expensive (especially a holiday cruise with me being solo).

I may love RCCL if I tried them, but at this moment, I'm perfectly happy sailing CCL.

She may decide against it and choose something else. We'll see. A couple years ago we rented a mansion sized cabin in the Smokey's. It was nice but not relaxing with 40+ people there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you guys could do a beach vacation. Our house at the beach is 8 bedrooms, sleeps 26 and is $3000 for any winter week. The largest house on the island is 12 bedrooms and is $6000 for any winter week. (plus taxes, of course) If it's too much for you guys to have so many people in one house, you could rent a few houses in a row. There are tons of 5 and 6 bedroom houses to choose from and many of them are very very nice. There is even a triplex that has 5 bedrooms in each unit and is $2300 per home for any winter week, that's 6900 for 15 bedrooms, 3 full kitchens, and 3 living rooms ! Close by, but also some separation. I'm sure you could find similar beach vacations all along the coast.

I don't have a hard time with anything I mention to others regarding Carnival. At this point, folks around me are starting to know better. It's my money. My vacation. My business. And I could care less what you think. Especially since the snide remarks I usually get are from folks who have never sailed Carnival and/or never sailed at all. Nor have they done any research or reading beyond quick headlines to actually gain a little insight before they come out their faces sounding like a bunch of idiots. I've mostly been on short cruises. No issues there either. And I've grown to love Carnival enough to double my time onboard this year from last year. If they don't want me to say anything about their annual trips "down south" or "camping" or to the same amusement parks, then ya best keep your pie hole shut about where and how I spend my vacation dollars.

To each his or her own. The end. ;)

You said just what I was thinking (well, except that I actually live in the south and used to enjoy camping). ;) I work with people - adults - who go to Disney World every year. Seriously, people? But then, I don't worship the Disneyfication of all things involving children, either. Went once when DD was 4. That was enough, thanks.

Work with people who have actually cruised (we're professionals, so the people should be semi-intelligent at least) and when the Triumph fire happened, more than one stated how they couldn't understand why Carnival didn't just send another ship to pick up those poor people. Really? Do you seriously think that Carnival has empty cruise ships sitting around that they can deploy to the Gulf of Mexico in a few hours to pick up passengers? I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking if they were just stupid or what? :p

But, really. I don't care what others think of my vacations and the fact that I mostly sail Carnival. None of their business. And if someone comes along with me and they don't enjoy their cruise, I won't feel guilty about it and I won't invite them again!

Why? I think a cruise is the perfect vacation to get family together. Granted, you'll have different income levels, budgets, and expectations. But you just need to find what works best for everybody. When we did Alaska last year, there were 14 family members divided among 4 households. First, we agreed on the cruise. As mentioned on a previous post, some family members axed Carnival from the get go, but we finally agreed on Holland America. Not necessarily my first choice, but it worked. Each one chose their accommodations, excursions and shipboard activities to suit their budgets. Some people in our group were in a standard window cabin while others were in a Signature Suite. Some people went on a $500pp helicopter and dog sledding excursion, while others took an $8 bus to see a glacier from land. Some people lived at the Greenhouse Spa all week and did all the specialty dining options as well while others didn't spend a dime on onboard extras.

That's the beauty of cruising. You can make it suit your needs, even when traveling with others whose needs may be different. If you like Carnival, but your sister likes Royal, well then go with NCL! :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

When I mention to someone that I am going on a cruise, I never have anyone turn their nose up at Carnival in particular, either the response is they wish they were going too, or they have disdain for the cruise industry alltogether, and most of them have never been on a cruise with any line.

Why? I think a cruise is the perfect vacation to get family together.

You misunderstand me Tapi, I love cruising as much as anyone and can't think of a better vacation, with family or otherwise. I was just concerned about how much fun it would be to have either mom, sis, or both complaining the whole time. The OP sounded pretty easy goin, his family not so much.

I just found out that the new CEO of Carnival Corp., Arnold Donald, was in my graduating class at Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota! (I didn't know him. Rats! ) Strangely, he looks waaay older than I do! ;)

Maybe he''ll rescue Carnival Cruise Lines from the negative image the OP is concerned about.