Just the name Carnival....

I have a hard time telling friends not to be scared of "Carnival". Although the name doesn't support this (unless it's a 3-4 day cruise, LOL), it's too bad they get such a bad rap from people who don't know. Would a name change bring more people onboard and/or raise the prices? Two of my friends and I had booked NCL for November but then I came across the Pride and convinced them all around it would be a better choice for us. (They are first-timers) Now I'm hoping we aren't let down. She will be just out of dry dock so it's a win win!!

It's amazing that when I tell people I sail on Carnival, they come back with some preconceived idea of what goes onboard, even though they've never sailed on Carnival before. I must admit before sailing on Carnival, I heard all the rumors with rowdy, party ships, low class patrons, old ships, etc. I have never experienced any of that on my cruises, and tell people to come see for themselves. A cruise ship is a floating city, and what can be experienced on land, can happen on a ship, so I tell them to reserve judgement until they've sailed on a Carnival ship, and I'm sure they'll come away with a different opinion.

I have family members who shiver (SHIVER!) when I mention I sail on Carnival. They also have some preconceived notions of what happens on the ships. Honestly, what can you do? I don't think a name change and complete re-branding would help, but CCL has done some interesting things in the way of youth entertainment to try to remold the "fun ship" image.

I have family members who shiver (SHIVER!) when I mention I sail on Carnival. They also have some preconceived notions of what happens on the ships. Honestly, what can you do? I don't think a name change and complete re-branding would help, but CCL has done some interesting things in the way of youth entertainment to try to remold the "fun ship" image.

Same here. My mom, who has been on one cruise, with Princess as her only cruise in her life just is adamant against going on a carnival cruise. OH THE HORROR. Oh i could never she says...I don't like that crowd she says..

What crowd??

Never have I been able to convince her that her view is not correct. She is way too bullheaded!!

I don't have a hard time with anything I mention to others regarding Carnival. At this point, folks around me are starting to know better. It's my money. My vacation. My business. And I could care less what you think. Especially since the snide remarks I usually get are from folks who have never sailed Carnival and/or never sailed at all. Nor have they done any research or reading beyond quick headlines to actually gain a little insight before they come out their faces sounding like a bunch of idiots. I've mostly been on short cruises. No issues there either. And I've grown to love Carnival enough to double my time onboard this year from last year. If they don't want me to say anything about their annual trips "down south" or "camping" or to the same amusement parks, then ya best keep your pie hole shut about where and how I spend my vacation dollars.

To each his or her own. The end. ;)

Edited by cruizinisthebest

As soon as I hear someone bad mouthing Carnival I always ask what ship they sailed.... 99% of them say they have never been on a Carnival ship. REALLY??

Isnt that amazing that people form such definite opinions while having no firsthand knowledge.

As much as people on this board LOVE Carnival, it really isn't for everyone, even if they've sailed on this cruise line before.

I know plenty of people who have sailed on Carnival. I work in the travel industry (airline) and many of my coworkers love cruising and do so frequently because of the interline rates. But many of them have said that one time on Carnival was one time too many. I just listen to what they have to say because it's obvious that they are dead set against Carnival (specially the ones that say that they'd rather have their nails ripped off their fingers with pliers before taking another Carnival cruise! :eek:). Even my parents, who have taken 3 Carnival cruises with us, gave me an ultimatum the last time that I organized a family cruise and said that they weren't coming if it was a Carnival cruise.

Different tastes, interests and budgets. I can't expect everyone to love Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

The perception of Carnival as a line of drunken orgies dates back to the day when Mickey Arison was a bartender on the ship - they had only the Mardi Gras in those days. Old ships? Not really, most lines, including Celebrity have operated much older ships than does Carnival. Drunk passengers? I've only seen one guy who was consistently drunk on our previous 6 cruises. He was not a nuisance as he was a happy drunk. Lousy food? Read what folks say on other boards regarding other lines' meals.

Reality is that Carnival is a middle class, family oriented experience and that is just fine with us.

See its strange what the media does as in the UK most holiday makers and a good number of cruisers have not heard of them. In my big cruise search I hadn't hard of them either until seeing an advert on tv.

When you tell people in the UK you are going on a cruise and its Carnival its met with a 'oooo that will be wonderful' and this is the same response as if you told them it was with RCCL or Celebrity et al. Cunard gets the 'ooo posh' sort of response.

In fact a lot of people have asked me how I get my cheap cruise deals and I explain (but tell them they are only US focused for the next few years).

Most people in the UK did not hear about (or forgot about) the triumph disaster.

Edited by Velvetwater

I must admit we have been one of those people who thought Carnival was a disaster.We were already booked on a HAL Med cruise, when I discovered Carnival Sunshine.Not only was the price much better, the itinerary rocked.She was just coming out of drydock a few weeks before we were scheduled to cruise. We had absolutely no problems. Loved it so much we booked the Breeze for next June.

The perception of Carnival as a line of drunken orgies dates back to the day when Mickey Arison was a bartender on the ship - they had only the Mardi Gras in those days...

This was the image that they tried to project years ago, even in their advertising. It has been a hard image to shake, though, as the brand has evolved. They have done quite well anyway, but I do think they might have been wise to change their name along the way.

As much as people on this board LOVE Carnival, it really isn't for everyone, even if they've sailed on this cruise line before.

I have to say, after my last cruise on RCI Allure of the Seas (and 1 experience with Celebrity), I'll consider Carnival any day of the week. As a whole, I really can't see the difference between cruise lines. As I wrote elsewhere a few minutes ago, RCI Oasis was my favorite cruise ever, but a week on her sister ship Allure was the least memorable of all for me.

OP, I thoroughly agree: "Just the name Carnival" should not scare anybody away.

I have a hard time telling friends not to be scared of "Carnival". Although the name doesn't support this (unless it's a 3-4 day cruise, LOL), it's too bad they get such a bad rap from people who don't know. Would a name change bring more people onboard and/or raise the prices? Two of my friends and I had booked NCL for November but then I came across the Pride and convinced them all around it would be a better choice for us. (They are first-timers) Now I'm hoping we aren't let down. She will be just out of dry dock so it's a win win!!

Carnival is one of my favorites, along with Royal Caribbean. Pride should be an awesome cruise. Have traveled on sister ships, Legend and Miracle. Nice layout and perfect size. I have taken 3 Carnival cruises and have never been disappointed, quite the opposite, they all have been great.

If I had to choose between Carnival and NCL there would be no question in my mind. Carnival, Carnival, Carnival. Not a huge fan of NCL. One time talking to the cruise director on NCL Epic, he was poking fun at Carnival. I am thinking, "really?, this ship experience can't compare to Carnival". Epic or the NCL customer service I experienced was Not epic. And neither was NCL's Star.

I have also taken Celebrity and Holland America, besides Carnival, Royal and NCL. Carnival has no need to be ashamed. They do an excellent job. The food is great and the customer service is awesome too. Pride is a great ship for 1st time cruisers. They will be amazed, and wonder why they worried about Carnival. After a few hours or most likely a few minutes they won't even care about which line they are on, but Carnival will not disappoint. There will be too much to do and see and experience. And even if she wasn't just out of dry-dock, I would still go, absolutely.

So, that's my feeling. Being their 1st time cruise is great. You will be able to show them around and experience and enjoy all the wows from them. All of you will talk about this trip for a long time with many hours of remembering all the great times on Pride in the future. Only thing they have to be scared about is the day you guys have to get off the ship after an awesome vacation. That's always a disappointment. Huge.

If you would like to ask any other questions feel free to email me: jsamuel2@tampabay.rr.com

CCL's reputation is well earned.

Don't try to change those peoples minds, they will only be a buzz kill on any CCL cruise.

Been there, done that. Buzz kill is so correct. Nothing is good enough. You are spot on. Thanks.

Different tastes, interests and budgets. I can't expect everyone to love Carnival.

I think this can be said about all cruise lines. No one cruise line is for everybody.

My sister is an attorney and is wanting to plan a family reunion/Christmas cruise. Despite her having never been on Carnival and only having been on RCCL once and NCL once, there's no way I can convince her to try Carnival. I'm just a truck driver and Carnival is beneath her.

My parents are 5-Star Mariners on HAL. I know, given the chance, my dad would give Carnival a try, but my mom thought RCCL was "a step or three" below HAL and would never be convinced that Carnival isn't beneath even RCCL.

To each their own. I find Carnival offers me a fun relaxing vacation away from the stresses of the highways at an affordable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister is an attorney and is wanting to plan a family reunion/Christmas cruise. Despite her having never been on Carnival and only having been on RCCL once and NCL once, there's no way I can convince her to try Carnival. I'm just a truck driver and Carnival is beneath her.

My parents are 5-Star Mariners on HAL. I know, given the chance, my dad would give Carnival a try, but my mom thought RCCL was "a step or three" below HAL and would never be convinced that Carnival isn't beneath even RCCL.

To each their own. I find Carnival offers me a fun relaxing vacation away from the stresses of the highways at an affordable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess your sister will never know what she is missing.

As a whole, I really can't see the difference between cruise lines.

When we sailed for the 1st time on Holland America last year, initially I couldn't see the differences either. I found myself wondering what was so special about them. Staterooms seemed alike, lido and main dining room cuisine seemed similar. Theater entertainment was about the same, etc.

That is, until my mother pointed out the actual differences. She mentioned the white gloved service upon boarding, the daily fresh flowers in the cabin and throughout the ship, the room service delivered in fine china, laundry delivered in tissue paper with a gold seal in a wicker basket, full main dining room menu available for in-cabin dining, upgraded linens on stateroom bedding, throw blankets for balcony use, a well stocked library open all day long, the museum quality decor, etc.

Now, for average me, these differences were not important or even noticeable, but for the more discerning cruiser, these differences were probably much more important and may have been the difference between an OK cruise and a wonderful one.

Just MHO, but for those who are perfectly happy getting a nice, clean room, being fed, and entertained (like the average Carnival cruiser), all cruise lines may seem the same as long as they deliver these basic needs. But for those looking for just a bit (or a lot) more, the differences may be much more apparent.

This exchange with my mother taught me that not seeing the differences between cruise lines doesn't mean that the differences don't exist, sometimes right under our noses. That we don't CARE about those differences is a completely different story.

Edited by Tapi