Beware of Viking

wwinfl91

Well said Mart T and joanne2.

This discussion has grown old and depressing. Hopefully the "Host" can put an end to this on going soap opera. It should be between the two parties only.

Lady girl, this is a free public forum and if the subject depresses you think of how much it depresses those of us who took the cruise. If the host does disable this thread then that is censorship of the same kind that occurred in **** Germany and still occurs in the Soviet Union. The purpose of this thread and this forum is to inform cruisers of what to expect when they go on a cruise.

If this thread depresses you quit reading it.

You have a total of 16 posts where I have over 5000. I have been with CC for many years and should have a right to tell the truth about Viking. I just wonder if you and Mark_t are both employed by Viking in attempt to suppress the truth.

Edited by wwinfl91

WWinfl91'

Please let us not attack each other. I have travelled on Avalon, Gate one and 4 times on Viking. I liked all the cruises but feel Viking did a better job than Avalon. Although a lot depends on the situations encountered during the cruise, like tons of snow the winter of 2010 and the dry Rhine in 2011. Each cruise is different. Last Christmas everything was perfect. While I have had issues at times with Viking, we have always felt fairly treated and then some. I am not an employee of Viking. I do hope you are able to resolve your differences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The purpose of this thread and this forum is to inform cruisers of what to expect when they go on a cruise.

I certainly wouldn't want your thread closed, but in the interests of maintaining balance you will get counter-points raised from time to time as the 'horror stories' really are not accurate reflections of what to expect when you go on a river cruise, nor are they generally applicable to other cruises with the same company.

I just wonder if you and Mark_t are both employed by Viking in attempt to suppress the truth.

I'll let that one slide this time as I know you are very upset about your cruise, but you need to accept that alternate views are just that and not something that has to be company sponsored ...

Just want to comment here that if I were looking to hire a top PR person - it would be someone exactly like Mark_T. I don't believe for a second that he works for Viking but I am sure they wish he did. :)

I agree with this statement 100% by Mark_T

What matters from here is you getting the best resolution you can, and my advice, for what it is worth, is that you'll get that achieved most quickly and expeditiously by direct contact with Viking rather than posting every part of your communication with them on here.

You will limit their ability to deal with you and your complaints in a unique manner if you keep the process in the public domain.

Right now, I'd be reaching out to them, not waiting to be contacted and getting all this resolved so you can get on with planning your next vacation, wherever that may be .

I don't work for Viking or CC, I have been on Viking and Uniworld cruises, I have more than 16 posts, and yes, I even had an issue with a Viking cruise which was handled 'off line' via a phone call and resolved quickly and to my satisfaction.

I think, fellow CCers, that the OP just wants and needs to vent and isn't ready to 'let it go'. He has aired his concerns, asked for our advice and then chooses not to take it. This thread is getting like an ugly divorce and airing one's dirty laundry in public may give the OP some satisfaction, it will not get him a satisfactory resolution with Viking.

PS wonder if the other 20 passengers who thanked him for asking the question about the bus ride length were ticked off because THEY didn't get a bottle of wine delivered to their stateroom from the CD? Just saying, even when things are 'fair' , they are NOT EQUAL.:rolleyes:

I certainly wouldn't want your thread closed, but in the interests of maintaining balance you will get counter-points raised from time to time as the 'horror stories' really are not accurate reflections of what to expect when you go on a river cruise, nor are they generally applicable to other cruises with the same company.

Thank you for being a voice of balanced reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Keep the thread open as long as there is posting.

Time and time again people on this board point out to newbies that they wouldn't be surprised about a cruise that had some kind of problem if they read CC. Here is an example of a cruise with problems . . . It's hard to imagine a worse experience. If it is depressing to read, imagine being on that cruise. But, all this stuff, "horror stories," do happen from time to time. It's disingenuous to assert otherwise.

If reading about it leads to some not going on a river cruise, or choosing not to travel with a particular line, oh well. If reading about this leads cruise lines to become more customer friendly and better at communicating with pax, then thanks to the OP and others who make similar posts.

From my perspective, I appreciate even more how the only river cruise line I have used, GCT, has handled problems and potential problems on my trips with them.

I think Viking needs to be called out in this instance. Putting a ship in dry dock and inconveniencing customers is unacceptable.

Viking is putting the Prestige into dry dock during it's upcoming Danube Waltz cruise.

Guests will be bussed from Linz to Passau for 2 nights.

Viking is putting the Prestige into dry dock during it's upcoming Danube Waltz cruise.

So let me understand.... A 7 day cruise is now a 5 day cruise, whose guest paid for said 7 days on the river ?

Did I say NEVER? Yep.... ;)

Viking offered 100% refund if you cancel or 30% off a future cruise in 2015!!!

A complete bailout if desired or a future discount. I'm sure it's not sufficient for some, but seems reasonable to me.

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Here's the trouble with this whole thing.... Everyone has their NON Refundable tickets, hotels booked and are facing 15 & 20 hours plus of flying time to Europe to have less than the days "Long" planned & "Paid" for....

Good for Viking to give a heads up but really ??????

I am sooooo grateful I have booked with Avalon!

Oh oh and one last detail! Many passengers sailing on Sunday are either already in route or already in Europe... How the bloody hell do these folks even get this delightful bit of joyous news? What are these people thinking?

Edited by nana541

To the OP, here is some background info on the merging of Skadi/Lif personnel and equipment. We boarded the Viking Skadi June 14 but switched to the Lif on day eight due to low water levels on the Danube around Regensburg. We were told to take our Skadi quiet boxes with us and the program director and concierge followed us to the Lif. We had bus rides two days running, the first bus ride was about ninety minutes from Vilshovin to Regensburg for our tour. We were given the option of a 25 euro lunch voucher and additional free time in Regensburg or we could ride back to the ship when the tour ended. We were told rain was coming and they hoped the river would rise. Then we learned the river was still too low and we would be bused from Vilshovin to Nuremberg the next day. The program director underestimated the drive time to Nuremberg but otherwise people seemed satisfied with the arrangements. I would say we went with the flow and tried to stay positive. The rest of the cruise to Amsterdam from Nuremberg onboard the Lif was fine and everyone we talked to felt Viking did their best. I know from reading this message board other lines had similiar problems with low water levels and Viking was not the only line busing people around.

We were not offered any compensation for the bus rides but I didn't really expect anything as the problems were weather related.

I cannot speak to the issue of a dry dock in the middle of the cruise, I never heard of this before.

I hope nothing unplanned ever happens to anyone on any Cruiseline. Logically and unfortunately, it does.

I understand that "ship" happens on the river. Ports get cancelled, all manner of things outside of the control of the cruiseline can and do happen everyday.

The latest just seems to go past that...

JMHO

I understand that "ship" happens on the river. Ports get cancelled, all manner of things outside of the control of the cruiseline can and do happen everyday.

The latest just seems to go past that...

JMHO

Unless I missed it, we only know that the boat will be dry docked but not why or how far in advance it was known to be needed. You seem to be making the assumption that it was known previously but hidden until now and/or could have been avoided in some way. While that's certainly one possibility, it's certainly not the only one. I'm willing to wait to find out what the facts are. Currently, we don't know what the true information surrounding this is.

Thanks to the OP it looks like Viking have learnt something about communication from this thread.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the OP was advised in advance about the dry dock event that was happening to him.

All of these new Longships will probably have to go into drydock for their warranty maintenance - so if I had a Viking booking I would be a bit wary.

I really feel sorry for those passengers who have already left for pre cruise stays and are unable to act on the email - probably haven't even received the email.

For those who have been offered 100% refund - I assume that doesn't include airfare.

As Nana541 says NEVER

Where are the passengers sleeping for these 2 nights?

Are they going back to the boat in dry dock or are they going to Hotels?

Does this mean they have to pack up their belongings, go to a hotel and then back to the boat and then unpack. All in 7 days?

Thanks to the OP it looks like Viking have learnt something about communication from this thread.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the OP was advised in advance about the dry dock event that was happening to him.

All of these new Longships will probably have to go into drydock for their warranty maintenance - so if I had a Viking booking I would be a bit wary.

I really feel sorry for those passengers who have already left for pre cruise stays and are unable to act on the email - probably haven't even received the email.

For those who have been offered 100% refund - I assume that doesn't include airfare.

As Nana541 says NEVER

I am the original poster and I know we were NOT informed of the dry dock or the switch from one ship to another which involved an additional packing and unpacking which is exactly what we try to avoid by cruising. We had trip insurance and if we had known either of these we would have cancelled the cruise. This is probably why Viking wasn't notifying people because they were afraid of the cancellations that would occur.

As far as I know NO one on the cruise was told of either the dry dock or the switch in ships or at least no one I talked to.

Thanks for giving me the credit for Viking starting to notify its passengers. If this thread did that then it has been worth every minute I spent in posting.

Have a great next cruise.

I think, fellow CCers, that the OP just wants and needs to vent and isn't ready to 'let it go'. He has aired his concerns, asked for our advice and then chooses not to take it. This thread is getting like an ugly divorce and airing one's dirty laundry in public may give the OP some satisfaction, it will not get him a satisfactory resolution with Viking.

PS wonder if the other 20 passengers who thanked him for asking the question about the bus ride length were ticked off because THEY didn't get a bottle of wine delivered to their stateroom from the CD? Just saying, even when things are 'fair' , they are NOT EQUAL.:rolleyes:

Yes I am the original poster and I do want to vent but more importantly I want to let other cruisers know what happened so they can make an informed decision on what cruise line to book.

Evidently something, maybe this thread helped, has caused Viking to change its policy and it is now notifying passengers about ships being put in dry dock. If this thread accomplished that then I am very proud and happy to have helped future passengers. Evidently they are also offering 100% refunds. I hope they decide to do that for us because it is what they should do given the disaster of the cruise was.

Finally the bottle of wine was the same cheap wine they serve everyone for free at lunch and dinner. We took it to our table the next night and shared it with the other couples we were eating dinner with and had a good laugh about the cheap wine as a gift. It probably cost them 2 or 3 euros if that.

Have A GREAT NEXT CRUISE just not on Viking.

Edited by wwinfl91