What do you do on a long flight?

repeater

repeater, it really does depend on what airline you are flying on. We just flew from California to Italy (so the 11 hour flight, then a layover in Amsterdam, then another 1 hr 20 minute flight to Italy) with the 9 hour time difference. We flew on KLM airlines and they were great, and the cheapest I found of the international airlines for our needs. Their seatback TV's (in economy) had tons of movies, TV shows, music, and games to use for entertainment; and they stuffed us with a full meal, free alcohol (although I don't drink, but plenty of passengers liked that), ice cream, tons of water or sodas, and then towards the end of the flight, when we thought it was midnight but it was early morning in Amsterdam, they slowly raised the window shades, played a recording of birds chirping to signal "sunrise", and served breakfast with coffee. We brought books and magazines with us too, and a deck of cards. Then on our flight home, from Barcelona through Paris, we were on Air France and it was the same. Only difference was we were landing at SFO in the evening so no birds chirping and a snack before landing.

So if you haven't already booked your air, definitely look at what the airlines that you could use offer for their transcontinental flights. And when you land in Europe, stay awake and don't go to bed until the local "bedtime". That helped us a lot. Even my ten year-old daughter was okay and didn't suffer any major jetlag issues - -except for one morning face plant/crash nap on a sofa on our first day in Italy. After that she was fine.

One of the most important things we learned is that once you arrive at your destination, do not sleep / take a nap until it is dark outside....no matter how tired you are, fight sleep until the night. Then you should get a good nights rest and be just about adjusted the next day.

I fly to the US from the UK at least twice a year, flying to Orlando, Vegas, Miami or LA. Long flights aren't great and the night flight is always the worse. At least in the day you're supposed to be awake, whereas the return journey where I want to be asleep isn't great. The advantage for you coming from the US is you get the worse flight over first, when you're excited about the trip ahead :D

Over 4 hours though I'll only ever fly premium, where the extra inches is worth every penny to me, or if air miles availability is there upper or first class. Would never pay those prices personally but using up miles gained on my credit card spend is a great start or end to a holiday :cool:

These tips are great! Appreciate them much. I think it may just be an endurance issue---but I'll be prepared. I'm not much on movies, but I just downloaded some magazines on the kindle, good for another hour or two of distracting. We're going to have a 2 hour layover in Iceland, which I plan to spend walking laps to get my legs back on speaking terms, then 2 days in Sweden before the cruise. Hoping I'll bounce back by then!

It is true that all airlines are not created equal - British Air and Air France being the best flights we have had. And SAS (broken entertainment system, 6 hour delay to depart) and Delta (broken entertainment system and a plane so outdated, there was an ashtray in the armrest:eek:) being the worst.

If you can afford to be choosey - it can make all the difference.

My doctor gave me a few scripts to help me get through a long flight. He said take the Xanax 1/2 hour before you board the flight. Then when you sit down, order a cocktail. Then just before your meal arrives take the Ambien. It worked like a charm. Before I knew it I was on final approach into Barcelona.

We always read & sleep. As for the jet lag part of it, go to a health food store and see if there is a product called "No Jet Lag". A friend of mine flies back and forth to Europe several times a year and with the 9 hour time change he swears by this stuff. He's in Europe now or I'd ask for clarification of the name of it.

When flying overseas we always have our special circulation socks - they go up to the knee. Mine is white - hubby's is black.

Our Doctor suggested, to prevent blood clots. Be sure to get up every 2 hrs and walk around, except when sleeping.

CT

I wear the same kind of socks for flights over 2 hours.

My doctor gave me a few scripts to help me get through a long flight. He said take the Xanax 1/2 hour before you board the flight. Then when you sit down, order a cocktail. Then just before your meal arrives take the Ambien. It worked like a charm. Before I knew it I was on final approach into Barcelona.

As a nurse with fairly intimate experience with Xanax ... You are very lucky you didn't get addicted to it. Terrible med unless you have anxiety issues.

I get motion sickness, so I just take 50 mg of Meclizine and have a couple glasses of wine. No probs at all.:)

The flight attendants seem to be much more compassionate on the long haul flights. Try to stand and or stretch. sitting in one position that many hrs is not healthy. I have found that alcohol, and caffeine only add to flight anxiety. You may want to ask your dr about an anti anxiety pill just in case. Try not to watch a clock. If I feel myself getting antsy I try to meditate or daydream. A good pr of noise canceling headphones with good music can do wonders. Be careful eating too much airplane food. It's often salty and you'll probably feel better if you bring your own food and snacks.

Long haul flights are hard even in first or business but the reward of destination makes them tolerable. On the way home I try to be exhausted getting on the plane and then can sleep a few hrs. Seems like the trip back is more difficult but makes the arrival to your own home and bed that much more appreciated after vacation.

Some people don't mind long haul flights at all. My kids never complain coming and going and I complain a lot less after I realized that the alcohol and caffeine were contributing to flight anxiety vs helping.

I love to listen to books on tape, but for some reason they put me to sleep on an airplane - so that's a plus!

I also like to play some addicting game on my iPad - my current favorite is WordWelder. I can do that for hours and it makes the flight go faster.

I also recommend the pressure socks. No more puffy feet.

It is true that all airlines are not created equal - British Air and Air France being the best flights we have had. And SAS (broken entertainment system, 6 hour delay to depart) and Delta (broken entertainment system and a plane so outdated, there was an ashtray in the armrest:eek:) being the worst.

If you can afford to be choosey - it can make all the difference.

We once did the mistake to fly with American Airlines and their entertainment system wasn't broke, it was nonexisting! (They had a few screens like other airlines had 20 years ago but that's not what I call entertainment system!)

We once did the mistake to fly with American Airlines and their entertainment system wasn't broke, it was nonexisting! (They had a few screens like other airlines had 20 years ago but that's not what I call entertainment system!)

Yep, that was on another bad Delta flight - and the one movie that everyone had to watch was awful. thank goodness for my Tab!

And stretching is very important. I will find a space near the lavatories and do a little stretching and even jogging in place to keep the circulation flowing in my legs. That works well.

Break it up and do an over night stop over on the east coast then do the final flight into your Euro destination.

After several of these long trips from the west coast, I second this. If you look through some of the flight choices for the major airlines, you will see some of these options. Hotel at major East coast airports are usually plentiful and reasonable. It is certainly cheaper than first class. Morning flights then get you to Europe in the evening. Whatever you do, Plan to arrive the day before. Very important.

You did not mention which cruise, but I am thinking the Spirit? If departing from Venice, you have two wonderful sea days. If departing from Barcelona, you begin with 4 busy port days.

Other than that, I also use what others have mentioned. Water, water, water. Move about. I read books as well on my iPad. Download movies or games. Aisle seats and extra leg room seats are wonderful. If you have Internet, visit the Cruise Critic forum. LOL.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I haven't done it yet but will be doing the same cruise next year and will have to fly from the east coast to Italy. Not looking forward to the flight. I am planning to read and sleep on the flight (don't plan on taking sleep aide).

One thing I heard to really help with jet lag is to stay hydrated. Most people don't drink enough water on long flights. I also agree with others that getting up an stretching is important.

Be sure to post a review once you get back. I would love to hear about your flight experience as well s a review of the ship and ports.

Either joining or renewing your membership in the mile high club will knock 5-10 minutes off the flight time. .enjoy!:)

My recommendation would be to use miles and upgrade to lie flats and sleep the night away. Have done it twice and it was as comfy as sleeping in my own bed.

I envy all of you on the east coast for the short flights to Europe. I've traveled a number of times to Europe from the west coast and the most sleep I can get is about an hour, if that. Even in business class I'm simply uncomfortable, though it's a lot better than coach (and I try to fly business these days...I've collected quite a lot of miles to use for this).

When possible, I also try to spend a day or two on the east coast before continuing to Europe, but I often can't take the time to do so. Last time I flew coach to Europe I changed planes in New York and the locals who boarded were wide awake and talking loudly all around us the entire flight while those of us who already had a long day simply wanted to try to sleep...I am now more conscientious of the flight times to try to avoid a similar experience (or fly business!).

As for the rest...yes to iPad, books, movies, games, rest, some food but not a lot (I usually bring some trader joes almonds packets), lots of water, absolutely no alcohol or drugs, walking regularly, repeat...

My recommendation would be to use miles and upgrade to lie flats and sleep the night away. Have done it twice and it was as comfy as sleeping in my own bed.

Which airline did you use for lie-flat seats/beds?

And were they horizontal or at a bit of an angle?

We've heard that with the angled flat-bed, one keeps slipping down. But it seems that would still be so much better than NOT lying down!

Thanks.

GeezerCouple