People thinking cheap means trashy if you go on a carnival cruise

ckhappy

Some guy came into where I work today and was talking about how he is going on a princess Cruise to Alaska. We were talking blah blah blah then he said my brother and his wife are going on a Caribbean cruise on carnival. He said are you kidding my really what's $299 going to get ya. He said look Royal is $799 they have more to offer. I told him there is nothing wrong with carnival and they will have a lot more fun than you will on your stuffy cruise to Alaska. I'm super excited about our cruise on Glory Oct 18, 2014. I have been on a couple of different cruise lines they each have their pros and cons.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Not all people that sail on Carnival are trashy, just like not all people that sail on more upscale cruise lines are classy. One of the things that caught my attention about our cruise on Holland America last summer was that the passenger mix seemed to be very similar to what we've found on more budget conscious cruise lines, and yes, that included some "trashy" people! :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All the people I know who trash Carnival have never sailed Carnival. They go off of second and third hand information, usually originating from "A friend of a friend of a friend" who had a bad cruise with CCL.

I've sailed Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, and Carnival. Honestly there's just subtle differences in all of those cruise lines. The biggest difference I saw was that the median age of cruisers on Princess and Norwegian was much older than those of Carnival or a Royal Caribbean. But overall they are more similar than dissimilar. :) Anyone stating that their more expensive cruise is better because it cost more is showing their ignorance. It's no different than someone going to Saks Fifth Avenue and paying ten prices for a coach handbag and thinking it's better than the same exact coach handbag bought at a normal department store because they paid more. :rolleyes: I ignore those folks, they aren't worth my time.

Who cares?

We've cruised with all of those cruise lines, & although we loved Princess, we also loved Carnival, & preferred Carnival 12 to 1 (# of times we've cruised them).

So who cares what others think about your own vacation?

Although my neighbors' Lexus is good for his family, I love my Corvette!

It's a Chevy, but it blows the doors off his over-priced Lexus anyday...

(Just an analogy, don't flame me, Lexus owners...)

Some people are so quick to judge and just have to pay more . The carnival cruises we have been on have all been fun . Yes some people are rude or trashy but thats everywhere . I have been told that also.. But most of those people dont travel anywhere... have fun...

Some guy came into where I work today and was talking about how he is going on a princess Cruise to Alaska. We were talking blah blah blah then he said my brother and his wife are going on a Caribbean cruise on carnival. He said are you kidding my really what's $299 going to get ya. He said look Royal is $799 they have more to offer. I told him there is nothing wrong with carnival and they will have a lot more fun than you will on your stuffy cruise to Alaska. I'm super excited about our cruise on Glory Oct 18, 2014. I have been on a couple of different cruise lines they each have their pros and cons.

Will you be comparing cruise experience after your respective cruises? This way you can find out if each of you got your bang for your buck.

Not all people that sail on Carnival are trashy, just like not all people that sail on more upscale cruise lines are classy. One of the things that caught my attention about our cruise on Holland America last summer was that the passenger mix seemed to be very similar to what we've found on more budget conscious cruise lines, and yes, that included some "trashy" people! :eek:

When we went on HAL I was horrified at the way some of the blue hairs spoke to the staff.

Bill

We were on a non ship sponsored excursion in Roatan when a woman whispered to me "Are people sick on your ship?". I said no, on yours,? She said yes. A lot. What ship? Princess. We were on Norwegian. Their problems aren't publicized so much.

But overall they are more similar than dissimilar.

I strongly disagree with this statement in general. Although there are some elements about cruising that are similar across cruise lines, I consider the differences to be pretty substantial. It's like saying that a stay at the Hampton Inn is similar to a stay at the Westin because both deliver a place to sleep, food, a pool, gym, and parking.

Whether someone NOTICES the differences is a completely different matter. If you're someone who is satisfied with the more basic needs, then yes, all cruise lines will seem similar because all of them deliver the most basic needs well. But if you're someone more discerning and detail oriented, the differences become more apparent.

For example, when we sailed on Holland America last year, initially I didn't think that the differences were that noticeable either. I kept asking myself "Where's this "Signature of Excellence" that they talk about??" That is, until my well traveled, very discerning, 74 year old mother started pointing out the white gloved service, the room service delivered in china, the laundry wrapped in tissue paper and gold foil and delivered in a wicker basket, the daily fresh flowers in the cabin and throughout the ship, the full dining room menu available in-cabin, the quality of the linens, the added throw blankets for balcony use, the fully stocked library, the non-intrusive announcements, and even the brand of china used in the main dining room.

This list consisted of things that I didn't care much for, but for those that care, the differences are HUGE. Same goes with other cruise lines. Even though I often read how Carnival and Royal are so similar, I consider the differences between these two cruise lines to be huge. But I do care about the things that make these two different. Others may not.

Edited by Tapi

Funny how some think. Willing to pay an extra $500 for so called extras. But how many times are you going to use the extras. $500 seams alot to go bowling and/or ice skating.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

Let me start by saying I love carnival and my next 2 cruises are with carnival also but with that being said you get what you pay for. And carnival is a value cruise line.

We just came off royals Allure of the sea and the differences in the entertainment can not be matched by carnival. from broadway style shows, live daily music on the lido, and other type shows that have big production value it just makes for a better product.

Again I love carnival. But there is a reason they get the walmart of the sea nickname. Lets face it most of carnivals shows depends on audience participation to make the show and really cost carnival nothing to produce.

Again if it my whole family traveling I am going on carnival because its affordable. But if its me and my wife I am going for a more quality product.

For example, when we sailed on Holland America last year, initially I didn't think that the differences were that noticeable either. I kept asking myself "Where's this "Signature of Excellence" that they talk about??" That is, until my well traveled, very discerning, 74 year old mother started pointing out the white gloved service, the room service delivered in china, the laundry wrapped in tissue paper and gold foil and delivered in a wicker basket, the daily fresh flowers in the cabin and throughout the ship, the full dining room menu available in-cabin, the quality of the linens, the added throw blankets for balcony use, the fully stocked library, the non-intrusive announcements, and even the brand of china used in the main dining room.

I guess the main point is some people would think those extra touches(including myself) are worth double the price. However when I look at the range of activities and entertainment that happens and the massive ships on NCL and Royal I would be inclined to to pay more for that instead.

It depends what type of cruiser you are I suppose. I look at the ports and the ship just gets me there. If Allure of the seas was going to all Bahamas stops and Carnival Fantasy is going to Jamaica and Antigua for example its an easy decision.

Not to mention most people still see cruising in general as a luxurious and indulgent break over a fly package sort of deal anyway.

If they want to pay more for a cruise more fool them. :D

Edited by Velvetwater

I believe most who makes these comments are those who still think Carnival add nothing more then a party ship. I once had a friend tell me oh you have sails Royal you will not enjoy Carnival them. Guess what, I have more fun on Carnival. Carnival is not trashy it is for fun loving people were enjoy having a good time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes we will. But I already know we are going to have the time of our lives. Its vacation in paradise and a added bonus the fun ship ;)

I think that Tapi is right on the spot with his/her comment. There are things that do make a difference between a luxury line and a budget line. There are times when we choose to stay in a 5 star hotel and there are times when a Holiday Inn Express is ok. Carnival offers a much different experience than a luxury cruise line and it's ok and shouldn't be looked down upon. No need to defend the it. There's a time and place for both types of experiences in our lives. That's part of the reason I won't pay for Carnival's high end suites at their rack or "discounted" rates. Why spend extra money on a product that that is not substantially different than most of their balcony rooms and don't offer many extra perks? I would love to learn why people choose to take a budget friendly line and then spend high end prices for a "suite".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums