Pub lunch on 4 & 5 day sailings

molme

The pub lunch is served in one of the bars, usually the Wheelhouse, on at sea days. The serve English style foods, such as fish and chips, prawns and chips, mash and bangers, beef and kidney pie and scotch eggs. This is all free, but you have to pay for your adult beverages.

The Bavarian buffet consists of different types of sausage, sauerkraut, German potatoe salad, different types of Bavarian breads, several other German dishes, and of course desserts. This is the one thing my DH looks forward to on our Princess cruises.

The Bavarian night in the buffet is also one of my favorites. Not only a wide range of "wursts" but several different types of mustard, from sweet to very spicy. Yum. My mouth in watering in anticipation.

Does anyone know if Princess will usually have the Crab Shack and Pub lunch on different days? I'd like to do both but don't know if that's too much food for one day!!
The one has nothing to do with the other. The Pub lunch is lunch on sea days, the Crab Shack is at dinner. Only a few Princess ships have the Crab Shack. Edited by Pam in CA

The Bavarian night in the buffet is also one of my favorites. Not only a wide range of "wursts" but several different types of mustard, from sweet to very spicy. Yum. My mouth in watering in anticipation.

LOL. DH is a big wurst fan (all those German ancestors, I think) but I can't stand any of it. I nearly starved on a trip to Germany (well, all those torts saved me.) :) I find the Bavarian night is either love love love or yuck yuck yuck. I've never met anyone neutral on the subject. One problem we've found is that there is no prior notice of it. One day it just appears. I don't even remember it mentioned in the Patter.

I love the Pub Lunch. :D

We are doing a B2B on the CB later this month and was wondering if they do the pub lunch on the short cruises. Also do they have Bavarian night in the HC?

We did a B2B on the Ruby in Feb. and they definitely had the pub lunch on the second half, which was the 4 night segment.

We didn't do the Bavarian night, but I do think it was offered.

The only thing we were a little disappointed in with the two short B2B's was that they repeated the menu in the MDR. I thought they might have just continued on with a string of different menu's, but they started over again. We go to re-visit some things we enjoyed a few days before, and tried some things we wished we had of the first time around. Still wished it was a different menu for the last half.

Originally posted by beingatraveler:

The only thing we were a little disappointed in with the two short B2B's was that they repeated the menu in the MDR. I thought they might have just continued on with a string of different menu's, but they started over again. We go to re-visit some things we enjoyed a few days before, and tried some things we wished we had of the first time around. Still wished it was a different menu for the last half.

Remember, your cruise was a B2B. Not one 9 day cruise with two halves. So what you saw was a menu that is served on each voyage. A person taking the 5 day cruise would not be aware that the 4 day cruise had the same menu.

In looking at your upcoming trips your first 10 day cruise will have 10 menus. The second 10 day cruise will most likely have the same 10 menus. Although there are situations when this isn't always the case.

That said, on our B2B, the first voyages menu served as a preview to the second. Eat the items you loved from the first, or avoid items you didn't care for, etc.

Edited by figmentdj

Does anyone know if Princess will usually have the Crab Shack and Pub lunch on different days? I'd like to do both but don't know if that's too much food for one day!!

"Crab Shack is available on Caribbean, Coral, Crown, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Regal, Royal, Ruby and Star Princess." However, it is not available every night and it's a specialty fee ($20).......you'll have to watch for the available nights in the Princess Patter or check at the Purser's Desk. As mentioned, English Pub Lunch is on your Sea Day and it's free except for drinks;)

I took 3 cruises on the Golden last year. 1st was a four day cruise (Mon -Fri),2nd was a 3 day cruise (Mon-Thur) the following week and the Bavarian night was on Wednesday. The next month we went on another 3 day cruise (Thurs-Sun) and there was no Bavarian night. So at least on the Golden it Wednesday night. Then went on a 10 day cruise on the Sapphire and the Bavarian night was on Wednesday.

A 'pub lunch' without real ale on draft just doesn't seem the same, though I have to admit it is still a brilliant social event, if not at all like a real pub lunch.

Real ale makes the batter so much tastier and it is a great pity that, for very good reasons, they cannot offer it on board

Note: Can of Boddington's or John Smith's does not count, particularly if it is chilled as it kills the flavour, nor does any beer delivered to the pump under pressure.

Thanks to CAMRA we stopped using gas to deliver ale 40 years ago and, if I want bubbles I'll drink champagne.

But then, as a lover of British ale and French wine, I would say that as I always take my coffee black on the basis that:

'Je boirai du lait le jour où les vaches mangeront du raisin'

A 'pub lunch' without real ale on draft just doesn't seem the same, though I have to admit it is still a brilliant social event, if not at all like a real pub lunch.

Even in an authentic English pub, I don't drink the ale, so that isn't a concern for me. True, the lunch isn't really a pub experience either, but it's a nice break from the buffet. Somehow, I have missed the shepherd's pie for multiple cruises now. I am told it is still served, but I haven't seen it. I have been ordering the prawns (similar to pub-fare scampi) and occasionally the chicken curry (which should be tikka masala to be more pub like.) Not holding my breath, but I would like to see a nut roast for a vegetarian option.

Real ale makes the batter so much tastier and it is a great pity that, for very good reasons, they cannot offer it on board

Note: Can of Boddington's or John Smith's does not count, particularly if it is chilled as it kills the flavour, nor does any beer delivered to the pump under pressure.

Thanks to CAMRA we stopped using gas to deliver ale 40 years ago and, if I want bubbles I'll drink champagne.

But then, as a lover of British ale and French wine, I would say that as I always take my coffee black on the basis that:

'Je boirai du lait le jour où les vaches mangeront du raisin'

I've been favoring Strongbow the last couple of cruises at Pub Lunch. Quite refreshing.

I get the Ploughman's Lunch and give my husband the chunk of ham for my vegetarian version. If we're on a voyage where there are 2 pub lunches and the 2 menus, for the second one, I get something at the IC and bring it to the pub lunch. That way, my husband can have his Scotch Egg, steak pie or whatever and I'm happy too. No one gave me any problems about brining food from a different venue. Don't get me wrong, a decent vegetarian entree would be welcome and we never visited a pub in England or Scotland that didn't have a couple of vegetarian entrees on the menu. How about baked beans on toast with some grilled tomatoes and mushrooms? Pretty traditional and easy - I'm sure they have all the stuff already on hand.

Edited by fabby50

Thanks Corfe - that menu looks wonderful and brings back great memories. We came to England the first time with a couple of friends and rented a canal boat. We spent a week going up and down, and ate most of our meals at pubs. It was a wonderful trip and everyone was so friendly and gracious. We would love to do it again sometime, if we could convince another couple to go with us to help open and close the locks.

Oh my...I'd certainly like to work my way through that menu! :D

We're working on it. My wife's resource management philosophy is:

'Why waste money on electricity and gas when we can go to the Baker's Arms' :D :rolleyes: