A tale of two cruises...

PaulaJK

I've been on two QM2 crossings after several over the years on QE2, all in QG. Cunard ain't what she used to be in any way, shape or form. And who would want to change a dining schedule just for a free drink and a mega second hand shake from some anonymous captain?

I've been on two QM2 crossings after several over the years on QE2, all in QG. Cunard ain't what she used to be in any way, shape or form. And who would want to change a dining schedule just for a free drink and a mega second hand shake from some anonymous captain?

Aren't they commodores on Cunard? Which makes me wonder why most lines have captains while a few have commodores.

Many years ago we did quite a few cruises with Cunard, on the old Vistafjord and Sagafjord. Anyone remember them? We did like those ships,which were oldish even then. But we did not care for the Cunard 'attitude' which seemed to be the line was the boss, not the customer. From what I have read recently it sounds as though this is still the norm. To my mind therefore it would not be a good fit with Seabourn, certainly not as good as even HAL. I think the problem now is that Cunard are still trying to sound 'British' while being essentially American. And their class system goes against everything Seabourn means to people.

Incidentally, there was a period when Regent named Dag as the Commodore of the line.

Aren't they commodores on Cunard? Which makes me wonder why most lines have captains while a few have commodores.

As far as I am aware the senior captain of some lines is designated as a commodore, which is a higher rank. So, I think, not all Cunard masters will be commodores, just one, and the remainder will be captains.

Of course I could be wrong ...

-We had a well attended & jolly block party on our deck which SB is now terming their signature event

WOW, SB are really scraping the bottom of the barrel if they need to include this gathering on their "Signature Events" list

Edited by jimmyw9

Why, oh why, would Seabourn choose to RUIN the association I have of their Signature Events from the past. These were extraordinary moments, special occasions, and something unique- as in what I would look forward to.

And with what? A "block party" of people hanging about in a corridor, waiting for a glass of (the usual complimentary) champagne, and anticipating the arrival of a cruise director with the captain in tow to say "howdy"? To which I would say "howdy" back? All to mingle with people who happen to have cabins off the corridor?

Look, if this were to be a children's summer camp orientation I would get it. If this were a bus tour for an affinity group I would make my own howdy name badge with a bright border and my home town and maybe an added photo of my pet. I would want to do my part. Maybe.

But a Seabourn Signature Event (note the capitals)? Really? I think I will give it a miss. The Sky Bar, yes. The corridor, no.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

Many years ago we did quite a few cruises with Cunard, on the old Vistafjord and Sagafjord. Anyone remember them? We did like those ships,which were oldish even then. But we did not care for the Cunard 'attitude' which seemed to be the line was the boss, not the customer. From what I have read recently it sounds as though this is still the norm. To my mind therefore it would not be a good fit with Seabourn, certainly not as good as even HAL. I think the problem now is that Cunard are still trying to sound 'British' while being essentially American. And their class system goes against everything Seabourn means to people.

LL....I have always been a dedicated Cunarder and loved the older smaller vessels.

Sadly, since the demise of the QE2 the company has been carnivalised most unfavourably....in my opinion l may add.

Queen Mary 2 is really just a transatlantic ferry and a damn good one too for that specific role. Cruising on her leaves a lot to be desired and l have done both and always in the grills...which have been very disappointing.

The old Cunard White Star Service has long gone....along with the masters and commodores of the day.

It's so sad for those of us who recall those good old days but at least we have the memories.

I have never sailed Seabourn and right now am reluctant to do so as the line is part of the carnival circus...which tends to put me off, despite it being marketed as a luxury product ...l do of course stand to be corrected as we all have our favourites and enjoy as such.

I have little interest in who the current master is....as long as he gets us all to wherever we are all going safely.

Likewise l have little interest in the current Maître D, CD or indeed any other crew member who may or may not recognise me from a past voyage...it's not important as far as I'm concerned...but l do understand that it's important to others.

If l embark and find a large group on board then so be it....no amount of complaining is going to alter that as far as the cruise line is concerned at that moment in time...so why become stressed out and allow it to ruin ones particular voyage.

Just saying...that's all...:)

I prefer to "meet and greet" at the Sky Bar ~not in the hall.

We may invite our new (and old) friends into our suites for a cocktail or two ~just a quick phone call to request staff to come set up the happy hour, including canapes.

MB

special cruisegirl

I've read a few of your CC postings and understand your preferance to Silverseas cruise line. We all have different opinions/choices of cruise lines. I've so enjoyed especially Seabourn's "Baby Girls "(Legend & Spirit ~former Pride "Queen" was my favorite) since 2000 ~ I wouldn't think of jumping ship ~

Sophia, you would be surprised as to our luxury line. Come join us sometime, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Martita B

special cruisegirl

I've read a few of your CC postings and understand your preferance to Silverseas cruise line. We all have different opinions/choices of cruise lines. I've so enjoyed especially Seabourn's "Baby Girls "(Legend & Spirit ~former Pride "Queen" was my favorite) since 2000 ~ I wouldn't think of jumping ship ~

Sophia, you would be surprised as to our luxury line. Come join us sometime, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Martita B

Thank you Martita, that's so kind of you and much appreciated. I've only sailed with SS twice...the third voyage coming up soon!

Just being at sea makes me very happy....

Sophia:)

Now that several of you posters have agreed with me about giving the "signature block party" a miss, I am having regrets. I mean, what's wrong with neighborliness, especially if it's apparently the highlight of the cruise for the cruise director and maybe some of the more shy cruisers who otherwise would not venture out of the cabin unless they heard some hootin' and hollerin'?

So... For my next cruise maybe I will bring my Signature green bean casserole from home to pass 'round. It's a secret baked dish with canned beans, a can of creamy mushroom soup (store brand is OK), and canned onion product ring-lookin' crunchies on top. Yum!!! And a platter of ginger snaps ready-spread with spam, you know, to give that homey taste of, well, home!

That will make the event a real Signature Event Moment worthy of the Seabourn website's blog. Eat your heart out to all of you who won't be there.

My next cruise is on Odyssey and if you ask me neighbor-like I will tell you what deck my party's on!

Happy sailing!

marchanxiety,

Thanks for noticing and responding. I take all my recipes for handy-andy quick and sure-to-pleasers from US folk whom I have met.

Your mom's generation? Of course for all you know I AM from your mon's generation. But never mind... I am in the mood to party. And there is nothing like party platters that stand the test of time.

Yes, just the trick for those Corridor Howdy Seabourn Signature Events!!!

Happy sailing!

marchanxiety,

Thanks for noticing and responding. I take all my recipes for handy-andy quick and sure-to-pleasers from US folk whom I have met.

Your mom's generation? Of course for all you know I AM from your mon's generation. But never mind... I am in the mood to party. And there is nothing like party platters that stand the test of time.

Yes, just the trick for those Corridor Howdy Seabourn Signature Events!!!

Happy sailing!

Way too funny! :D

WOW, SB are really scraping the bottom of the barrel if they need to include this gathering on their "Signature Events" list

I've been to a couple of Seabourn Block Parties, and they were OK, a pleasant convivial experience, worth about 30 minutes. But definitely NOT signature even material and not a luxury cruise experience. Next time I'll look forward to Markham's casserole, which might be better than the food in the MDR that night. Just sayin...And I'll give some thought to bringing a bunch of party favors bought at the Dollar Store: Hats, sparklers, noise makers, plastic tiaras...everyone needs a tiara!

Now that several of you posters have agreed with me about giving the "signature block party" a miss, I am having regrets. I mean, what's wrong with neighborliness, especially if it's apparently the highlight of the cruise for the cruise director and maybe some of the more shy cruisers who otherwise would not venture out of the cabin unless they heard some hootin' and hollerin'?

So... For my next cruise maybe I will bring my Signature green bean casserole from home to pass 'round. It's a secret baked dish with canned beans, a can of creamy mushroom soup (store brand is OK), and canned onion product ring-lookin' crunchies on top. Yum!!! And a platter of ginger snaps ready-spread with spam, you know, to give that homey taste of, well, home!

That will make the event a real Signature Event Moment worthy of the Seabourn website's blog. Eat your heart out to all of you who won't be there.

My next cruise is on Odyssey and if you ask me neighbor-like I will tell you what deck my party's on!

Happy sailing!

I honestly thought we were the only "unsociable" ones who didn't care for the block parties. We did it on our first cruise and although everyone was very kind, it just seemed forced, so we skipped out on our second voyage. It would NEVER be a deciding factor for me, or something I would consider a perk at all, but they seem well attended, so someone likes them.

Now, if it was potluck and Markham was bringing his "specialities" then....no, still wouldn't do (sorry sweetie, but is ginger snaps and spam a real thing)? :eek:

I will take one of those tiaras though.

The main attraction for me Seabourn vs Crystal is the itinerary. Larger ships are constrained to the larger facilities ala Celebrity.

This for me is especially important when sailing in the Mediterranean . How many times can you stop in just Istanbul, Athens, Rome, Livorno , Venice and Barcelona?

Markham, my mom was born in 1926. She largely gave up those types of dishes until the late 1990's, when for some reason she took them up again. Then, when she gt too ill to cook, my dad started making them. When I visited I tried to take over the cooking!

Now I am a tad embarrassed since I hijacked the Signature Seabourn Event

Neighborhood Block Party with my luscious and dependable down-home favorites. As marchanxiety has already clarified, nothing beats green bean casserole and those ginger snaps with spam, except maybe my Velveeta cheesy puffs and marachinos on a platter!

So let's take it to the next level, OK?

1- Wripro, I appreciate the offer of a keg but unfortunately the corridors are too narrow to manage one with all the festive antics and goings-on. Best let the Cruise Director and captain have a look in and hand out lil' cups of their French bubbly. Otherwise, they would have nothing much to do.

And this is where you come in... You would be in charge of the corridor decorating pre-party! You would hand out sparkles, crepe paper and glue so that everyone could express themselves on their door. And also ensure that everyone keeps theirs "family friendly", if you know what I mean. And the captain could decide a winner, corridor by corridor. And the cruise director would add that everyone is a winner so that there are no hard feelings. Same as he tries to do at Trivia.

2- Mr Luxury, who claims to play harmonica, can play "Getting to know you" and "Roll out the barrel" for everyone to sing to. And then if other valued guests suggest other tunes they must have already been pre-cleared with Mr L so as not to embarrass him if he doesn't know them.

3- And Host Dan, who presumably knows everybody anyway, can organize every corridor's valued guests to introduce themselves to each other and

then have complete strangers introduce other complete strangers to the rest of the corridor. And make up a secret about the guest they introduce and everyone else vote if it's true or not. What a hoot!

And then we would have the booze, the captain can choose the winning doors, partake of the buffet and storm the Sky Bar. Corridor by corridor.

So that's the end of the ole Seabourn Signature Events in the corridors. Because with this plan we are going to make it a Seabourn Signature HOWDY HAPPENING!

Now I am a tad embarrassed since I hijacked the Signature Seabourn Event

Neighborhood Block Party with my luscious and dependable down-home favorites. As marchanxiety has already clarified, nothing beats green bean casserole and those ginger snaps with spam, except maybe my Velveeta cheesy puffs and marachinos on a platter!

So let's take it to the next level, OK?

1- Wripro, I appreciate the offer of a keg but unfortunately the corridors are too narrow to manage one with all the festive antics and goings-on. Best let the Cruise Director and captain have a look in and hand out lil' cups of their French bubbly. Otherwise, they would have nothing much to do.

And this is where you come in... You would be in charge of the corridor decorating pre-party! You would hand out sparkles, crepe paper and glue so that everyone could express themselves on their door. And also ensure that everyone keeps theirs "family friendly", if you know what I mean. And the captain could decide a winner, corridor by corridor. And the cruise director would add that everyone is a winner so that there are no hard feelings. Same as he tries to do at Trivia.

2- Mr Luxury, who claims to play harmonica, can play "Getting to know you" and "Roll out the barrel" for everyone to sing to. And then if other valued guests suggest other tunes they must have already been pre-cleared with Mr L so as not to embarrass him if he doesn't know them.

3- And Host Dan, who presumably knows everybody anyway, can organize every corridor's valued guests to introduce themselves to each other and

then have complete strangers introduce other complete strangers to the rest of the corridor. And make up a secret about the guest they introduce and everyone else vote if it's true or not. What a hoot!

And then we would have the booze, the captain can choose the winning doors, partake of the buffet and storm the Sky Bar. Corridor by corridor.

So that's the end of the ole Seabourn Signature Events in the corridors. Because with this plan we are going to make it a Seabourn Signature HOWDY HAPPENING!

And after all of this incredible Signature Event is over, we could each step out on our own balconies and have a smoke!