Thoughts of ball cap type hats on excursions

rcandkc

....is it inappropriate to wear a ball cap on excursions for shade to the face and keep hair from blowing every which away.

Of course you can wear a ball cap. However, having said that, I wouldn't wear one that was tied to a country, nor one with a "Big Trucker" logo or some other obnoxious theme.

Of course you can wear a ball cap. However, having said that, I wouldn't wear one that was tied to a country, nor one with a "Big Trucker" logo or some other obnoxious theme.

Really good point.! The same can be said for t-shirts.

I've spent time in one of their stores here in Toronto admiring them and trying them on, but have never bought one. Not sure why. Probably the price.

I bought one in that store after my first brush with basal cell carcinoma. Yes, they are expensive, but they guarantee replacement for life, even against accidental loss. I used to wear ball caps, but they do nothing for your neck, or your ears (where I also had a BCC). Personally I think I look a bit dorky in my Tilley hat (sort of like a bargain basement Indiana Jones!), but I will trade that look, and the cost, any day against protecting my face and head from skin cancer! ;)

Wondering if Hondorner HUGE picture file is what is making this thread NOT word wrap?

That probably depends on how your browser displays the photo. Mine shows a pic approximately 20 characters wide and a bit higher.

Costco down here has had them on sale for $14.99 for some time now.

Are you sure these are genuine "Tilley" hats - that would be the bargain of the century since they normally sell for about $100 (if not more) each? Which Costco branch are you referring to?

Thanks

gnomie :)

Costco down here has had them on sale for $14.99 for some time now.
Are you sure these are genuine "Tilley" hats - that would be the bargain of the century since they normally sell for about $100 (if not more) each? Which Costco branch are you referring to?

The hats at Costco are Booney hats.

Edited by DixieDeer

Bought a Tilley for my wife at Toronto Boat show several years ago but it accidently was left in our last sailboat that was sold.

I own ONE hat - a ski cap -Rarely wear a hat = only when temp is 25 degrees or lower. Hair protects against sun burn.

If you see someone who looks like me wearing A HAT he is an impostor!

Edited by TedC

Ah. I just tried a different browser, and I see what you mean. Sorry about that - I linked to the image on the Tilley web site, had no idea what size it was.

No big deal. I try to limit any pictures I upload to 800 x 600 pixels. And yes, it's a good looking hat.

You are correct, but unless name recognition is of great importance, I don't see much difference...and I did buy 2 of them.They also claim to have some sort of sun blocking in the material.

And as you know, at Costco the guarantee is forever.

Once you know what they are, Tilley hats are instantly recognizable. A reviewer on the Costco site said it best, the Booney hats are a bit like a sombrero....Yeah, I guess Tilley owners are a bit snooty about them, but in a good way....:p

I wear this Columbia UPF 30 hat most of the time; do not find it to be sombrero like at all; very light weight, sweat band, adjustable strap, gives good sun protection.

http://www.backcountry.com/columbia-upf-30-booney-hat

FS.jpg

I also use a cap with an extra long brim and a shade on the back when fishing (ok, it DOES look a tiny bit goofy, but very effective out on the water)

312khWrym6L.jpg

For me it is about sun protection. Function > form. Some regular ball caps fit well others will not, I have very thick hair.

OP, of course you should wear whatever sun protection you require on an excursion.

Hats are far preferable to the scar on a bald head from having had a melanoma or a sunburn that can send you to the hospital and ruin a trip.

My husband has had some really cute ball caps of denim with a logo or from our local pet rescue; I have bought him some driving caps and just got him a Tilley; He does look goofy in it in a nice way. I want to get one for me. The store we were in had a a great selection for men

Hats are far preferable to the scar on a bald head from having had a melanoma or a sunburn that can send you to the hospital and ruin a trip.

My husband has had some really cute ball caps of denim with a logo or from our local pet rescue; I have bought him some driving caps and just got him a Tilley; He does look goofy in it in a nice way. I want to get one for me. The store we were in had a a great selection for men

Come to Toronto Kathy, and you get find a complete selection!

There are also companies online that have sun protective clothing/hats and I have ordered clothing, swimwear, and hats from them. Some of the hats are very similar to the Tilley's but are much lighter and I find more comfortable to wear in hot weather. They are easy to pack and look brand new even after multiple washings.

Editing to add that I think the OP should wear whatever hat works best for her. I have seen many people wear caps and have a friend who has different colours to match her different outfits. Happy sailing!

Edited by mariners

Check out Wallaroo, alot of their hats have ties in the inside trim.

Great for all sizes. I have a small head and they work great for me.

Also some have 50sunscreen and are packable. I personally wouldn't wear a

baseball cap unless I'm playing golf. I dislike screaming tourist.