Rudest Street People in the Carribean

topaz123

Wondered if we were alone in our impression of both Jamaica stops ( Ocho Rios and Montego Bay). We were badgered by Taxi drivers and beggars the entire day. One guy followed us for at least 2 hours in Ocho and would not stop asking us what we wanted to do, to go, on and on. I gave up saying NO THANK YOU. Whew......Mexico was bad, but I think Jamaica is the absolute worst for aggressive beggars. Anybody want to chime in??

When we stayed in a small non-touristy hillside hotel we experienced friendly, helpful Jamaicans. But as cruise ship passengers our experience has been similar to yours. So, the last time we had a port stop in Jamaica we stayed aboard the ship and had a wonderful, relaxing day.

I think we stopped in Roatan on one cruise, and it was pretty much the same hassle. We love to do walks and went ashore..a cab driver followed us forever and when I finally told him we were not taking a cab...he gave me a real Sailor's cursing. We've pretty much put Jamaica and Roatan on the NO CRUISE TO list. We have been to Aruba, Curacao on several occasions and never had a problem at all..in fact we were completely free to roam about..very friendly places.

Falmouth has aggressive 'tour guides' outside the fenced off port facility. For leisurely shopping and having a drink, you need to stay in this area. We bought rum cake and two handmade bracelets. No pressure, nice sales people.

Outside, it's a poor town and everyone seems to be convinced that they can make a buck from the tourists. We managed to avoid the straw market by using a back road.

Another place with aggressive street vendors is the city of Cartagena. But as soon as we got out of certain downtown squares, we could walk leisurely along side streets without anyone bothering us.

My DD and I went there on our first cruise and didnt have a clue what to expect....it was the first port on a first cruise with no research done....not a good thing...we went to the craft market and people were grabbing us to pull us into their shops...I dont kow about you, but I have a private bubble around me and "dont get into my bubble"...:eek:...I never want to go there again....Im sure it would have been better if I would have known about CC and done some resurch before hand, but we just go off the ship and bought the buss pass thing that goes to alot of different stops...never again...lol

That turned into a nice healthy hate when he told us that we shouldn't tell people on his island that we were Canadian:mad::mad::mad:, we should claim to be American or British, because that's who they respect.

I don't blame him for telling you not to mention you're Canadian.......:D

Just kidding - been to Canada many times and love your beautiful nation! Used to go to Windsor and Sarnia, ON many times. Would love to visit AB, BC, and NWT someday! That and Canadians are by far some of the friendliest folks I've ever met.

Is it any wonder that some locals continue "harassing" tourists. They can ask for $20 and get $10 or be paid $2 for not giving a shoeshine.

Exactly. If it didn't work, they would do something else to try to get money. Fact is unfortunately it works, so they continue to do it.

There is an extremely aggressive beggar on St Martin in Marigot. He's always outside Seraphina's the bakery shop. He told us we "must give him $1" over and over again, that it's "just $1, just give me $1, you need to give me $1". I included him in my review and several others said they knew of him. One man even said he tried to grab for some chocolate from his young daughter and saying he "must give him chocolate". The staff at the bakery do nothing about him. He really turned me off so the bakery lost my business. I imagine others feel the same. But if it didn't work, he wouldn't continue to do it.

My parents took a cruise that stopped in Haiti in the late 1970's and I remember my father nearly in tears describing the desperately poor people that approached the cruise passengers, begging or trying to sell things. Emotionally it immediately took him back to the four years he spent among the poor in India during WWII.

Even though we may not think of ourselves as wealthy, to someone with nothing and no prospects, each one of us might as well be Warren Buffet (along the lines of "a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse"). If we can't find a little compassion, maybe we should find other places to vacation.

We haven't been to Jamaica (yet).

Our worst experience was on Grenada and it was partially our own fault, we should have done a ship sponsored tour, but we decided just to walk around on our own.

We walked up to the Fort near the port, where we "acquired" the services of a local "guide". He just walked up to us and started talking to us about the island and followed us through the Fort. Admittedly, he was giving us good information, but I was less than thrilled with him.

That turned into a nice healthy hate when he told us that we shouldn't tell people on his island that we were Canadian:mad::mad::mad:, we should claim to be American or British, because that's who they respect.

Once we were through the Fort, he tried to get us to go further into the city with him to shop (from his friends' stores, I expect). DH was ready to go along, but I put my foot down at that point and told him we were going back to the ship. He tried to convince me to change my mind, which just pissed me off that much more and when he finally got it through his thick skull that I wasn't budging, he demanded twenty dollars from us. I told him he should have set the price before tagging along with us and I gave him a ten and told him he should consider himself lucky, he had time to go bug other people. Maybe I was rude, but you don't tell people to be ashamed of where they come from and if you're looking to sell a service, you set the price before provided said service.

With that, I hauled DH back to the ship, but that wasn't the end of the story. Outside of the terminal, this big momma (who I could disappear behind and I am neither short nor petite), comes right up to me and I mean right up to me, I'm talking practically nose to nose, and declares loudly, "I'm going to braid your hair". I have very long hair and regrettably forgot to wind it up into a bun that morning (mea culpa). I had had it, I stepped right into her and said just as loudly, "no, you're not" and walked into the terminal.

I was so happy to be back onboard the ship:D. If we ever, ever, end up porting at Grenada again, we're either staying onboard or maybe, possibly, we'll try a ship's tour.

I have been on several cruises and when speaking to other passengers who have visited the Caribbean, Jamaica always seems to have negative feedback for the reasons mentioned on here.

I have never been to Jamaica so I can’t give an opinion.

I have however been to Grenada and like FawnRiver after fifteen minutes of walking off the ship I turned around and went back on board. I don’t mind people approaching me and trying to sell something but when they are in your face all the time it drives me nuts. The funny thing is if they weren’t so full on, the cruise passengers would be more inclined to stop and have a look at the goods rather than trying to avoid the sellers.

I was booked on a trip in the afternoon and was dreading it. However, once away from the port it was hassle free and you could appreciate a beautiful spice island.

Blackjack956

There is an extremely aggressive beggar on St Martin in Marigot. He's always outside Seraphina's the bakery shop. He told us we "must give him $1" over and over again, that it's "just $1, just give me $1, you need to give me $1". I included him in my review and several others said they knew of him. One man even said he tried to grab for some chocolate from his young daughter and saying he "must give him chocolate". The staff at the bakery do nothing about him. He really turned me off so the bakery lost my business. I imagine others feel the same. But if it didn't work, he wouldn't continue to do it.

Very upsetting to see this. We have been going back to Sarafina's for several years now and never encountered this person. Most of our recent cruises have included a stop in St Martin and a trip over to Sarafina's has become part of our regular plan.

"The funny thing is if they weren’t so full on, the cruise passengers would be more inclined to stop and have a look at the goods rather than trying to avoid the sellers."

Exactly! If they acted less aggressive then I would be more inclined to spend money.

Very upsetting to see this. We have been going back to Sarafina's for several years now and never encountered this person. Most of our recent cruises have included a stop in St Martin and a trip over to Sarafina's has become part of our regular plan.

Based on your signature you have been to STM way more than me. I've only been once last Mar. Good that you've never encountered him, but there were more than one person that said they were harrassed by him.

Wondered if we were alone in our impression of both Jamaica stops ( Ocho Rios and Montego Bay). We were badgered by Taxi drivers and beggars the entire day. One guy followed us for at least 2 hours in Ocho and would not stop asking us what we wanted to do, to go, on and on. I gave up saying NO THANK YOU. Whew......Mexico was bad, but I think Jamaica is the absolute worst for aggressive beggars. Anybody want to chime in??

No you are not alone. However Cozumel and Nassau are also pretty pushy- all those ports make good "stay on the ship" days.

"The funny thing is if they weren’t so full on, the cruise passengers would be more inclined to stop and have a look at the goods rather than trying to avoid the sellers."

Exactly! If they acted less aggressive then I would be more inclined to spend money.

the problem is they see Americans (or even their relatives that lives in the states) as "rich." I have neighbors from Jamaica, good decent heard working people and their families,even distant cousins are always dunning them because they are "rich."

what they do not realize is our standard of living may be better, but that does not mean we are independently wealthy with unlimited disposable income. It is almost as they think we should be willing just to buy anything they sell as if that would be a charitable donation.

with Mexicans it is their culture to haggle over prices. I do not want that just give me a reasonable price where they make a reasonable profit and I am willing to buy it. I do not expect a "deal." As you said, allow me to look without pressuring me if I see something I want. If they are too busy giving me a "hard sell." I walk away even if I see something I want.

In Jamaica, we've always booked an excursion, either via the ship or with a private guide (we love Marva Shaw). The guides really made sure that we bypassed the aggressive street people that harassed tourists, and I didn't feel unsafe or uncomfortable under their "protection".

However, we would never venture out on our own for the same reasons mentioned here.

Our guides (father and daughter team) had their cronies waiting for us at every bend of the road and they would stop the van so they could run up to us, so nope not my experience. Of course we went to Jamaica once but once was enough. (2006)

Now I have heard there are great all inclusive resorts there and you do not get into that unless you leave the resort, but that one time left such a bad taste in my mouth, I have no desire to even try that.

My parents took a cruise that stopped in Haiti in the late 1970's and I remember my father nearly in tears describing the desperately poor people that approached the cruise passengers, begging or trying to sell things. Emotionally it immediately took him back to the four years he spent among the poor in India during WWII.

Even though we may not think of ourselves as wealthy, to someone with nothing and no prospects, each one of us might as well be Warren Buffet (along the lines of "a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse"). If we can't find a little compassion, maybe we should find other places to vacation.

Compassion I have, I just do not like when a person tries to badger me into giving. I have bought many a trinket from a vendor who treated me respectfully that I did not really want because they were kind and I saw they needed the money. When the earthquake in Haiti happened I donated a considerable bit through the religious organization I am affiliated with, the same I did with Japan's, I also did for Katrina in the US, and many other disasters that happened in the world. It seems we have one somewhere every year don't we? I do this because I realize this could be me and may be me as disasters are not particular as to where they strike.

However, I agree with you to a point, I do not go to the Caribbean as often as I used to because of this very reason. I just get tired of so many people believing we are "rich Americans" with unlimited disposable income when right there at home I see people begging at shopping centers at least once a week.

Having walked around by myself in Ocho Rios and Falmouth I have never felt insecure but have been approached by many vendors and people offering tours.

Many times I stop and chat with them telling them first that I do not need their goods or services. Sometimes we joke together. This is all observed by other vendors who then seem less agressive.

On my last visit to Falmouth I was only approached by the gate to the port area. Had a nice stroll to the downtown area and visited some small stores.

It is much more fun to walk outside the port area. If you love photography, take a pocket camera with you and you can get some great photos that show the real street life in Jamaica.

I try to recognize that my cultural background tells me what to expect, and that others' backgrounds are different. That gets me a long way in accepting behavior that is not what I expect. However, two places have really made it difficult for me are:

1. Grenada, at Grande Anse Beach, where we rented chairs (two nice-looking ones were on display) and were directed to some broken-down specimens and then demanded to pay extra for pads, an umbrella and a dime-store plastic table. This was bait-and-switch, worthy of a carnival huckster.

2. Labadee, where is trip through the vendors' area is like walking through a snake pit. The vendors kept touching my daughter from all directions until I swore at them in French (lil surprise for them for sure) and told them we would buy nothing if there was touching. They backed off immediately - interesting.

I do think we have to ask ourselves why, in both these places, the local people would conclude the best way to part us from our money is to treat us this way. Is this something we have created? Just asking.

As for bad-mouthing Guadaloupe, it's unjustified and I've seen too much of that on CC. They were probably protesting the cruise ships because the boards are full of baloney posts about how dangerous and dirty this port is. It's nothing of the kind. It's a VERY civilized part of France, where nobody is interested in touching your daughter or screwing you out of a few bucks for an umbrella for your chair. Again, we would have to ask ourselves, is this resentment something we have created?

Edited by wassup4565

Guadeloupe!

The day we were there, protesters had signs saying "Go Away Cruisers".

If we walked into a shop or bar, we would be totally ignored.

LuLu

They certainly got what they wished for! We were on the last Brilliance cruise that stopped in Guadeloupe. RCI had an agreement with France to stop in Guadeloupe in exchange for port time in France (that is what we were told by an officer) but there was such negative opinions, they decided it was not worth it. We did not take an excursion and returned to the ship rather quickly. The odor of trash and urine was overwhelming just outside the port area. Tablemates had an excursion and said it was one of the most beautiful islands they had ever seen. Some islands you cannot just get off the ship and walk around...will be in Grenada in Feb and plan to taxi to Magazine Beach. Hope we are not making a mistake!

Lauri

Some of these islands, like Jamaica, are beautiful, but I agree I don't usually feel safe as well as feeling harassed. But it is a good reason to take ship's tours to get to the nice and interesting places. Although things can still happen with those tours, I feel like I don't need to haggle with a taxi driver or "tour guide" in order to see something special like Dun's River in Jamaica. Especially if it is your first trip to the island. Some of the islands, like the Dutch and some of the French ones are very safe and you can walk around unbothered.

And, sure, the ship tours may be more expensive but I feel like they are worth it and I often take them even if it is somewhere I've been before.

Maybe the locals think that a ship disgorging 3000 loud and judgmental tourists who don't want to spend any money in their towns to be rude. Just a thought.

You know, those 3000 tourist WOULD spend much more money if they were not harassed-so maybe they need to understand American culture and realize that perhaps it works to be aggressive towards Europeans (since you guys seem not to be bothered by that)but Americans feel they are being verbally attacked. In fact as a 60 year old woman, I would be terrified on my own, because I feel a person THAT aggressive is just one step away from being a mugger. That is why I never venture out on my own beyond the areas right by the port where there are policemen.

Let me tell you what happened to me at Dunns River Falls. Here I am struggling to climb up the falls,at the time a 52 year old woman; and this guy appears out of no where plops a necklace around my neck and says that is a gift for a $10 donation. I have no idea your age but would you want this done to your wife/mother/sister?

Some of these islands, like Jamaica, are beautiful, but I agree I don't usually feel safe as well as feeling harassed.

Exactly, I do not feel safe either. I was actually a little afraid in Jamaica.

However, even on ship's sponsored tours, we have been harassed at times by locals giving us a hard sell.

I had a few people in cozumel mexico throw insults at me and some swore at me cause I didnt want to go into their store. I havent really had alot of problems in Jamaica the last cruise I was on I never left the compound in Falmouth, they had a few pushy vendors but I got the price down on what I really wanted.