Take an oceanview category guarantee?

travelmom12

Hi. I am a new lurker, considering a last minute booking on an early September New England/Canada 2 week cruise. I like the balance of sea and port days, and the 2 days in QC that this cruise offers, but it took my DH a while to see it my way. In that time, the Veranda Guarantee category I was holding a cabin on disappeared when my hold did. My only remaining option is an Oceanview guarantee (I have a hold, but there are no more of those either, so if this hold drops while we dither, this cruise option is gone for us). We have not cruised without a veranda for a long time. Am interested in what others have to say, especially those who have sailed this type of cruise before (we have never done a New England/Canada cruise). I think the oceanview cabin is expensive given that it is only $200pp less than what we would have paid for a veranda, and we will be on the bottom of the ship. But maybe that would get me less sea motion in bad weather... Unlike many other cruisers who say they are never in their cabins, we do spend some time in ours. And I am the kind of cruiser who sat outside on the veranda on chilly Alaska days and evenings, wrapped in a blanket. (That was our first cruise with a veranda, and come to think of it we were upgraded from an oceanview category guarantee.)

Your thoughts are appreciated.

There's more than a good chance if you book an OV that's exactly what you'll get. They may upgrade people who paid a higher price than you, or are a higher loyalty level than you or just got luckier than you. And you'll be in your OV. YES there are reports that people booked a guarantee and got an upgrade, but that's the exception.

My point was not to be looking for an upgrade, although of course that would be lovely. If we take the cabin guarantee, it will be with the acceptance that if we get what we paid for we are ok with it. I just have to get to that point. :cool: My question is more related to having a bottom of the ship cabin (this is the Celebrity Summit) without a balcony, and whether I am going to feel like I am really missing that balcony on a north bound cruise RT NJ-QC in mid September the way I would in the Caribbean.

really only you can answer your questions. there are plenty of public deck spaces available to give you the veranda feeling when you want it.

I typically travel in suites. I just booked an inside guarantee on summit just because i wanted to see some old cruising friends and get my end of summer cruise fix in but didn't budget for the trip. For me I can be fine with no veranda with all there is to do. Others, maybe not.

I agree with Curt.... That is for you to decide. I haven't sailed that itinerary, but read a very lengthy review( with photos), and I think you will use your cabin for sleep more than anything else. There are plenty of outdoor and indoor spaces to spend time onboard.

Maybe i can help...

The weather in September in the Northern USA & Canada isn't the Caribbean... But it can still be quite nice, although perhaps a tad windy on the ship vs on land (so that will make things cooler as well)

What I will say is the scenery, especially along Canada's Coast and the mighty St Lawrence River can be GORGEOUS.

If I was on this cruise, I think I'd spend a lot of times outdoors just soaking that all in (even on sea days vs doing shipboard activities)... Kind of like a Cruise to Alaska

So only you can answer the Question.. Do you want to that sightseeing from somewhere up top... Or on your own balcony, while also relaxing (Wake up coffee, breakfast, read a book, afternoon cocktail etc)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... Here is hoping that see your share of whales in the St Lawrence River... Always a thrill !!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We saw great rates for a last minute, balcony, 4 night cruise....Didn't jump on it and when I went to book it the next day, the only cabins available were OV and inside.

I was hyped up about the cruise by then and decided to take a guarantee OV rather than not go at all. (Same price as the balcony rate the day before!) I talked myself into this, thinking it was a short cruise, a cruise is always fun, we could sit outside in other locations on the ship, etc.

Although we had a good time, we decided never to do an OV again...We missed breakfast and drinks on the balcony, sitting out there in the early morning hours and watching the ocean/stars/ports while relaxing inbetween excursions, pool, etc.

I have friends who could care less about a balcony since they are on the go from morning til night on a cruise which I totally understand....We've cruised alot and do enjoy our private time on the balcony.

Next time we'll jump at any great rate for a balcony....Learned my lesson the hard way.

Edited by tbmrt
addition

"Although we had a good time, we decided never to do an OV again...We missed breakfast and drinks on the balcony, sitting out there in the early morning hours and watching the ocean/stars/ports while relaxing inbetween excursions, pool, etc."

We have booked the oceanview, and I hope I don't have buyers remorse like you did. This cruise really fits our needs. The itinerary is the perfect combination of ports and sea days - even next years has been tweaked a little and isn't as good a fit for us. 2 weeks without a verandah - well, I'll find out soon enough if it was a mistake. But I could not justify the $2000 difference in price between oveanview guarantee and the available verandah category.

Just know that OV can get you a porthole. Happened to us on the first trip to Bermuda. Waves were breaking over the window!

What ship was that? I thought the crew cabins were below the passenger decks, and were still above the water line. From the pictures it appears that the Summit oceanview windows are large but yes they are circular, and certainly not the small portholes I remember from 30 years ago when we first cruised.

What ship was that? I thought the crew cabins were below the passenger decks, and were still above the water line. From the pictures it appears that the Summit oceanview windows are large but yes they are circular, and certainly not the small portholes I remember from 30 years ago when we first cruised.

Crew cabins are both below & above the water line (hidden hallways on many decks between Pax Cabins)

Pax Cabins are all above the waterline... But some ships do have portholes vs windows. I cannot tell you which ones, but the Celebrity Website will tell you when you book a cabin in OV (same way that it tells you if a view is obstructed in any way)

Waves breaking over the windows can happen on lower decks in rough seas... You'd be surprised how high up the water can fly!! We had gale force winds in the Florida Straits on The Solstice... Not a crazy crossing (BIG Solstce managed very well with stabilizers & all) but our 10th Deck Balcony got soaked from the splashing !! Down on Deck 3 in the Passport Bar it got too much to look out the windows with the waves breaking up & down across the panes. Made us sort of seasick (and somewhat nervous to watch). We felt much better elsewhere where we didn't see out.

Cheers!

Our porthole was on the Zenith to Bermuda. Forward, and low. BIG seas overnight on the way there. Couldn't get out of bed, had the weightless at the top of a roller coaster feeling. Not too many made it to breakfast that day. Porthole was above water in dock, not smashing through waves.

We've had a regular window, too. I'd do an inside instead of an OV. The extra price for the OV isn't worth it. Take the inside, go out and enjoy the fresh air about the ship. Just MHO, of course.

We've had a regular window, too. I'd do an inside instead of an OV. The extra price for the OV isn't worth it. Take the inside, go out and enjoy the fresh air about the ship. Just MHO, of course.

No inside cabins for me. I need to be able to see the outdoors, even if I can't feel it.

• 3 weeks later...
My point was not to be looking for an upgrade, although of course that would be lovely. If we take the cabin guarantee, it will be with the acceptance that if we get what we paid for we are ok with it. I just have to get to that point. :cool: My question is more related to having a bottom of the ship cabin (this is the Celebrity Summit) without a balcony, and whether I am going to feel like I am really missing that balcony on a north bound cruise RT NJ-QC in mid September the way I would in the Caribbean.

Thanks to those who responded on this. Thought I'd post an update. We took the Oceanview category guarantee. We were upgraded to a C3 (Concierge Class) on deck 9 that we changed to a C3 on deck 8. We are thrilled! We leave in 3 days!

Thanks to those who responded on this. Thought I'd post an update. We took the Oceanview category guarantee. We were upgraded to a C3 (Concierge Class) on deck 9 that we changed to a C3 on deck 8. We are thrilled! We leave in 3 days!

Wow, congrats, great upgrade - they must have known you wanted a balcony!!!

Thanks for the Update.

Congratulations on the great upgrade, and have a wonderful cruise.

I will be looking for your Trip Report when you get back as I am anxious to hear all your thoughts on the Ship, Cabin, Cruise, Ports of Call etc

Cheers!