New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

3 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

I google the name of the port and the word schedule.

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I find that is the best way to find the official port schedule.

I haven't found other sites to be as reliable.

By far the easiest and most accurate approach.

13 minutes ago, AllTheSun said:

The daily activities for my 10 night Zuiderdam cruise in a couple weeks is starting to post and the dress code is listed as smart casual every night. Is that accurate meaning there are no gala nights, or just not updated yet?

I hope it's accurate and will apply to all future cruises.  That would save us packing "gala" wear.

2 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

The daily activities for my 10 night Zuiderdam cruise in a couple weeks is starting to post and the dress code is listed as smart casual every night. Is that accurate meaning there are no gala nights, or just not updated yet?

There are no "gala" nights.  There will be "dressy" nights but it's not much different (for us, no different) than "smart casual" evenings....here are some helpful FAQ's from the HAL website....Enjoy the journey!

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants. 
  • Dressy Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants. 

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Dressy” night? 

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Dressy” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear. 

Q: What about ladies’ dressy attire? 

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable. 

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men? 

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Dressy Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change. 

Q: Are jeans allowed? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants. 

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

• Dressy Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants. 

Does collared shirts include short sleeved collared shirts, like nice polo shirts?

26 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Does collared shirts include short sleeved collared shirts, like nice polo shirts?

Yes.  It does not say "long sleeve" so as I read it, it meets the requirement....for collared shirt. 

My dinner dress every evening (dressy or casual nights) is always kaki long pants and a long sleeve sports shirt. Done. 

6 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Q: Are jeans allowed? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants. 

"embroidery"  embroidery?  Someone please explain why embroidery is unacceptable.

35 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

"embroidery"  embroidery?  Someone please explain why embroidery is unacceptable.

Hey, we don’t make the rules, we just recite them so you don’t have to seek them out on the poor excuse of a website.  😉

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

I expect you will have at least 2 'dressy' nights, depending on the length of your cruise. 
That information will likely be updated when you board the ship. That has been the past practice on HAL ships since Navigator was developed. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We haven't been on HAL for many years and there have been changes, therefore I have questions.

Regarding NO plastic water bottles: does this include hard plastic reusable bottles, the kind you buy at Joe's Sporting Goods.

Thanks for helping!

Welcome back!! My group have not had an issue taking the reusable hard plastic bottles.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

39 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Regarding NO plastic water bottles:

I've never been judged or had my plastic water bottles confiscated when boarding/roaming the ship.....And I do not see any rule to that sort in the FAQs or anywhere else on the website (Please others correct me if I missed this?).

We were last onboard in April 2023. 

(Also, the spigot water is very good as is the regular tap water served in the restaurants)

Welcome back and enjoy the journey......

On 9/13/2023 at 5:12 PM, Bailey & Sophie said:

We haven't been on HAL for many years and there have been changes, therefore I have questions.

Regarding NO plastic water bottles: does this include hard plastic reusable bottles, the kind you buy at Joe's Sporting Goods.

Thanks for helping!

On Embarkation Day, only filled non-disposable water bottles are not permitted.  Empty disposable water bottles are permitted.  In other words, any empty plastic bottle that you are going to use on excursions may be brought onboard on Embarkation Day.  Best to put them in your checked luggage to avoid any hassle with the terminal Security screeners.

When returning from a shore excursion, ship Security could care less about water bottles you are bringing back onboard.  So, bringing your filled disposable, or non-disposable, water bottles onboard is fine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

On Embarkation Day, only filled non-disposable water bottles are not permitted.  Empty disposable water bottles are permitted.  In other words, any empty plastic bottle that you are going to use on excursions may be brought onboard on Embarkation Day.  Best to put them in your checked luggage to avoid any hassle with the terminal Security screeners.

When returning from a shore excursion, ship Security could care less about water bottles you are bringing back onboard.  So, bringing your filled disposable, or non-disposable, water bottles onboard is fine.

Thank you. Your explanation was perfect.

I didn't think they could get rid of all plastic...shampoo, hand lotion, etc all come in plastic.

I was over-thinking.

Seems odd that you can't bring on filled bottles for embarking but they are allowed  in ports.

19 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Thank you. Your explanation was perfect.

I didn't think they could get rid of all plastic...shampoo, hand lotion, etc all come in plastic.

I was over-thinking.

Seems odd that you can't bring on filled bottles for embarking but they are allowed  in ports.

I think it is a token gesture that protects the sale of their canned water.  All plastics are shredded and metals crushed for recycling anyway with the received funds all going to the Crew Fund.  The more we can recycle while onboard, the happier the crew will be.

It appears that at embarkation, it is a question of protecting water sales but once at sea, it is a matter of security with bottled water not posing a threat to passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

It appears that at embarkation, it is a question of protecting water sales but once at sea, it is a matter of security with bottled water not posing a threat to passengers.

I agree that it's a matter of protecting the sales of water (soda, wine, etc) at embarking.

A few years ago we boarded Oosterdam in Seattle for a 14 night Akaska cruise. One woman had 2 hotel carts - 1 filled with water, 1 filled with Coke products. (When I say filled, I mean FILLED!)

I'm not surprised they changed their policy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am new to HAL and have a couple of questions:

1. Open seating on the NS. How does this work. I can come at any time or is there a time slot after the first fixed seating (this is what I understood from earlier posts here). It indicates table any size. Can I change this to table for 2 and where could I change it? Can I make a reservation in the MDR for open seating?

2. How do I notify food intolerances in advance. I found a phone number on the HAL website. Is there another way or is it sufficient to notify it on-board?

47 minutes ago, laufschnecke said:

2. How do I notify food intolerances in advance. I found a phone number on the HAL website. Is there another way or is it sufficient to notify it on-board?

From HAL website FAQ's.....looks like you have it correct, the phone call if it is "not life-threatening". 

For guests with food intolerances or allergies that are not life-threatening, please contact our Ship Services Department at (800) 541-1576. For guests with life-threatening food allergies, we ask that guests provide detailed information to our Guest Accessibility Department by completing a Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form. Guests should indicate on this form which foods may potentially cause a severe reaction.

46 minutes ago, laufschnecke said:

1. Open seating on the NS. How does this work. I can come at any time or is there a time slot after the first fixed seating (this is what I understood from earlier posts here). It indicates table any size. Can I change this to table for 2 and where could I change it? Can I make a reservation in the MDR for open seating?

1. Fixed seating is on Deck 3. Anytime/Open seating is on Deck 3. You can reserve a time or just show up. There is a table for this on embarkation day or you can visit the MDR.

2.  The SRI form mentioned above is at https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

Even if contacting HAL pre-cruise, mention it onboard.

48 minutes ago, laufschnecke said:

And a question on Wi-Fi. Are there also minute packages that I could buy on board? I only would need to check mails occasionally 

You can purchase Internet access for just one day or for the remainder of the cruise. There is no option for purchasing a number of minutes.

The premium package is the only one available for pre-cruise purchase, but it is a discounted price. The surf or premium packages can be purchased onboard.

49 minutes ago, laufschnecke said:

Open seating on the NS. How does this work. I can come at any time or is there a time slot after the first fixed seating (this is what I understood from earlier posts here). It indicates table any size. Can I change this to table for 2 and where could I change it? Can I make a reservation in the MDR for open seating?

Think of it like arriving at a restaurant landside.....You head to the MDR when the MDR is open for open seating dinner (it's one level of the MDR so open seating is going on at the same times that fixed seating is going on upstairs)....You ask for the table size you want.....You can request to dine with others or just your party.  If you want a table for two, when you approach the podium, just request it.  And tomorrow can be a different table choice and time.  Yes, you can make a reservation ahead (I think it is up to 3 days in advance?  not sure).  

Keep in mind, just like landside, if you arrive at peak time, you may have to wait......

I hope that info makes sense and is helpful.....

Enjoy the journey......

1 hour ago, laufschnecke said:

I am new to HAL and have a couple of questions:

To add to what others have said, I wanted to inform you of what we encountered last October onboard Koningsdam. 

We were sailing with another couple to Alaska from Vancouver. When they disembarked back in Vancouver we stayed aboard for a roundtrip to Hawai'i. They like fixed seating whereas we usually prefer open seating. Since they had been the first to book we joined them for fixed seating for the first leg with the intention to switch to open for the Hawai'i legs. 

When we discussed this switch with the Maitre'd near the end of the Alaska cruise, he said he was happy to do so BUT he informed us that there were 1500 guests signed up for open seating and he expected very long lines.  He suggested we keep our fixed time and if he wanted to change later after seeing how open seating went, we could do it then.  

Thankfully we took his advice.  The end of the line for open seating was typically near the photographer's displays-so at least a hundred of people in line😳. This wasn't just at opening time, it seemed to be that way throughout the hours the dining room was open.  We had second seating and there was always a large crowd waiting for a table. 

Obviously YMMV, perhaps it was just our cruise, but I'd think hard about doing open seating on HAL if we ever cruise them again. 

• Like 1