New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

We have cruise to Many lines, But this is our first cruise with Holland America. Here are some of my questions

1.We were told the line for dinner is very long how do you go about getting assigned seating every night at the same time?

2.We have that have it all package. But we just cruised another line

that if you had a prepaid liquor package every drink you bought you still paid gratuities and taxes that was added to your bill adding 30%. How does it work on Holland America?

7 minutes ago, Ianstar said:

2.We have that have it all package. But we just cruised another line

that if you had a prepaid liquor package every drink you bought you still paid gratuities and taxes that was added to your bill adding 30%. How does it work on Holland America?

Gratuities are included in HAL's beverage packages, you do not pay extra as long as the menu price is included. If you purchase a beverage with a menu cost above the limit, you pay the full price, not just the difference, plus 18% gratuities. You are limited to 15 covered beverages - "bottled/canned" water, soft drinks and specialty coffees as well as alcoholic beverages.

4 hours ago, Ianstar said:

1.We were told the line for dinner is very long how do you go about getting assigned seating every night at the same time?

You could decide to do just that. HAL has an option where you have the same time every night--with the same people. Call them now and tell them that is what you want.

Or you can wait in line. Our last two cruises (11/21 & 7/22) we never waited more than three minutes to be able to sit with different people which is a lot more fun.

11 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You are limited to 15 covered beverages - "bottled/canned" water, soft drinks and specialty coffees as well as alcoholic beverages.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong but I believe the 15 limit is just for alcoholic beverages . 

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

The limit includes canned water, sodas and specialty coffees as @Cruise Suzystated.

I don't think so . Am I misreading ? From Holland's site 

The Signature and Elite packages have a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages, which includes all alcoholic beverages with a menu price of $15 or less (Elite Beverage Package), or $11 or less (Signature Beverage Package). The Quench Beverage Package includes unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and bottled waters 500ml and under.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.what-are-my-beverage-package-options.html

14 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I don't think so . Am I misreading ? From Holland's site 

The Signature and Elite packages have a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages, which includes all alcoholic beverages with a menu price of $15 or less (Elite Beverage Package), or $11 or less (Signature Beverage Package). The Quench Beverage Package includes unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and bottled waters 500ml and under.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.what-are-my-beverage-package-options.html

HAL did not update the FAQ section when it changed the Terms & Conditions of Beverage Packages in June 2021. Here is the current description for the Signature Beverage Package from the HIA T&C.

Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced at US$11.00 or lower and includes beverage service charges. Beverage package includes non-alcoholic beverages such as sodas and specialty coffees.  Guests must order beverages one at a time and must be 21 years or older for alcoholic beverages. Sharing is not permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and refuse service for any reason, including service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Package excludes purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. 

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

HAL did not update the FAQ section when it changed the Terms & Conditions of Beverage Packages in June 2021. Here is the current description for the Signature Beverage Package from the HIA T&C.

Thanks for the info . I wonder if there are those who think, why should I waste my 15 on alcohol-less drinks .  Thanks Holland . 🙄

We had the Signature Beverage Package for the first time on our August Cruise and we were pleasantly surprised at how much we liked having the choices it provided. In the past, we have purchased a wine package and separately bought our nightly cocktails. Many times, we wouldn't be able to finish a bottle so the staff corked the bottle, but if we were at a different restaurant the next night the wait staff had to locate the unfinished bottle. Other times, we would want different wines and that became complicated. So with the beverage package, we were able to order wine by the glass which we discovered was more convenient and conformed to our desired tastes. We also discovered the specialty coffees which normally cost between $3 - $6, hard and soft drinks by the pool and with lunch. Knowing that we were not adding to the bill every time we ordered something other than tea, coffee, or water made our cruise much more pleasant.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GypsySonnetGirl said:

Knowing that we were not adding to the bill every time we ordered something other than tea, coffee, or water made our cruise much more pleasant.

Does this mean tea is free 24/7? Aside from specialty tea?

When I looked at HAL's room service menu it didn't show a price next to certain drinks like tea and milk. Does this mean it's free when you order room service? 

59 minutes ago, sofienummer said:

Does this mean tea is free 24/7? Aside from specialty tea?

When I looked at HAL's room service menu it didn't show a price next to certain drinks like tea and milk. Does this mean it's free when you order room service? 

If there is no price listed, the cost to you is $0.00

On 9/15/2022 at 8:46 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

Gratuities are included in HAL's beverage packages, you do not pay extra as long as the menu price is included. If you purchase a beverage with a menu cost above the limit, you pay the full price, not just the difference, plus 18% gratuities. You are limited to 15 covered beverages - "bottled/canned" water, soft drinks and specialty coffees as well as alcoholic beverages.

Does anyone out there have a bar menu.  I would like to know the price of a Bloody Mary and if they have Michelob Ultra.  I have the Have it All Package.  I have read that there is an $11 limit on the package.  Anyone know the prices if there is not a bar menu to be found.  Thanks everybody.  Cruising the Zuiderdam in July.

My first time cruising ever was on Princess, earlier this year. I had their everything-package. Now I'm going to be on the Koningsdam Nov-Dec and it looks like Holland America's "Have it all" is a less-than-everything-package we're likely to avoid.

I have a question on wifi options. According to this page there are three tiers of wifi packages available. however clicking on any of them take me to the sign-in page even though I'm already signed in. If instead I go to the package purchase page there are two options: "Have it all" and Premium Internet (for the entire trip).

We're just going to want to make a couple video calls throughout the voyage. I'm hoping we can get away with it costing less than $55/call (the price for the premium package is $110/trip). Are there going to be more options on-board? How bad is the wifi-lockout?

Thanks for the information.

Edited by epistax

10 hours ago, smarks said:

Does anyone out there have a bar menu.  I would like to know the price of a Bloody Mary and if they have Michelob Ultra.  I have the Have it All Package.  I have read that there is an $11 limit on the package.  Anyone know the prices if there is not a bar menu to be found.  Thanks everybody.  Cruising the Zuiderdam in July.

On the Oosterdam last month and 95% of the drinks were below the $11 limit. No beers or Bloody Mary's over $11 that we found. The only drink I had that was more was a Mcallen 12 year old scotch that was $18 a shot. There was however a pitiful selection of wines by the glass below $11. Most good wines by the glass were even over the $15 Elite beverage limit.

9 minutes ago, epistax said:

My first time cruising ever was on Princess, earlier this year. I had their everything-package. Now I'm going to be on the Koningsdam Nov-Dec and it looks like Holland America's "Have it all" is a less-than-everything-package we're likely to avoid.

I have a question on wifi options. According to this page there are three tiers of wifi packages available. however clicking on any of them take me to the sign-in page even though I'm already signed in. If instead I go to the package purchase page there are two options: "Have it all" and Premium Internet (for the entire trip).

We're just going to want to make a couple video calls throughout the voyage. I'm hoping we can get away with it costing less than $55/call (the price for the premium package is $110/trip). Are there going to be more options on-board? How bad is the wifi-lockout?

Thanks for the information.

I had the HIA package on the Oosterdam for 14 nights last month and I upgraded the WiFi  to premium the first day onboard for only $50pp for the full 14 nights. I had no problem using it to stream and even make wifi phone calls. 

Thanks for the responses. I suppose these kinds of options open up later or on-board only.

Is there a free wifi for doing cruise related activities in conjunction with the Navigator app? For example on Princess we'd use the app to do things like: Place a reservation, order a drink to our table, locate passengers in our party, review the daily patter, sign up for activities, join in on some ship-wide games, etc. Is there free guest-to-guest messaging?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, epistax said:

Only the Premium plan can be purchased before the cruise; purchase the others while aboard. "Have it all" includes the middle plan.

1 hour ago, epistax said:

Thanks for the responses. I suppose these kinds of options open up later or on-board only.

Is there a free wifi for doing cruise related activities in conjunction with the Navigator app? For example on Princess we'd use the app to do things like: Place a reservation, order a drink to our table, locate passengers in our party, review the daily patter, sign up for activities, join in on some ship-wide games, etc. Is there free guest-to-guest messaging?

Thanks.

Yes, there is free Wi-Fi for use while aboard. The Navigator app uses it for purposes such as those you listed. It also gets you to New York Times and other news summaries and is used for the very lame Navigator "Chat" feature for communicating with other passengers.

• Like 1

Great info here.  Just a question regarding the Main Dining Room, and I apologize if this has been asked. Can a couple dine at a table for two, or do they make this difficult?  We have been on 18 cruises, but never on Hal (we are considering booking soon). Since the recent start up, this is our preferred seating option. Thank you!

• Like 1

We were on the Nieuw Standendam in August. We had open seating. We sat a a table for 2 every night. We were moved around among 5 different waiters so we never knew where we would be seated but we didn’t mind and in fact enjoyed dining in different locations. And Joel,  the Wine Steward, always found us!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

We were on the Nieuw Standendam in August. We had open seating. We sat a a table for 2 every night. We were moved around among 5 different waiters so we never knew where we would be seated but we didn’t mind and in fact enjoyed dining in different locations. And Joel,  the Wine Steward, always found us!

So there is a wine steward back in the main dining rooms now? 👍🏻

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 9:35 PM, coffeeboy77 said:

Great info here.  Just a question regarding the Main Dining Room, and I apologize if this has been asked. Can a couple dine at a table for two, or do they make this difficult?  

Yes, you can get a table for two. Ideally make reservations in the app before leaving on the cruise, but it works as a walk-in the vast majority of the time.

• Like 2