New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

22 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Larger sized robe- Yes.  Will it fit a large very tall man- sort of but will look pretty silly.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Have you been in the Lido buffet or even poolside in the early morning of late? Bathrobes seem to be a thing there for some people these days (don't ask me why). 😟

Not just the lido-they are everywhere on Konigsdam this cruise!  

Happy to report that when we asked Mono to take the robes away as they wouldn’t fit, he said he would but brought us some 3xl that actually fit nicely. They are great for the balcony while I’m air-drying after a shower😂

No slippers seen or offered but haven’t asked. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bearden said:

Booked on Noordam for Alaska in May 2023 and need to bring a CPAP machine on board but I also need distilled water for it.  Is it possible to get distilled water on board or do I need to bring it with me and will they let me. Tia

They should have it onboard. I say 'should' because on my last cruise I ordered one bottle, but needed a second during the cruise; there weren't any more bottles on board, so I had to make do with tap water. 
Order it in advance, and order as many bottles as you think you will need for the entire cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you purchase the Half Moon Cay beverage package but also have the Signature Package do they combine your 15 drinks maximum? Each has a daily limit of 15.  I have to admit I find it incredible that your drink package is no good on the private island.  

8 hours ago, sayvan said:

If you purchase the Half Moon Cay beverage package but also have the Signature Package do they combine your 15 drinks maximum? Each has a daily limit of 15.  I have to admit I find it incredible that your drink package is no good on the private island.  

you can only use the HMC beverage package on the island - back on the ship you are using the SBP,   I suppose in theory, you could have 15 drinks on HMC & then 15 drinks on board - yikes 😱 

There is no computer on the island which is why the SBP can’t be used.

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

you can only use the HMC beverage package on the island - back on the ship you are using the SBP,   I suppose in theory, you could have 15 drinks on HMC & then 15 drinks on board - yikes 😱 

I am trying to figure out how anyone could have 15 drinks on HMC in 8 hours and still be able to get back on the ship. LOL

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I am trying to figure out how anyone could have 15 drinks on HMC in 8 hours and still be able to get back on the ship. LOL

I was tempted to say that but perhaps they drink a lot of water?? 😂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Now I'm confused (again).. 😒

I've read on other threads that HMC is essentially cashless for purchases from HAL activities (i.e. souvenir shops, bars, etc). And that cash is only needed for shops and trinket purchases from local vendors.

For the HAL sponsored purchases, your key card is used just like onboard the ship, and purchases are charged to your onboard account.

If this is correct, they are using computers to swipe your key cards, right?

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Now I'm confused (again).. 😒

I've read on other threads that HMC is essentially cashless for purchases from HAL activities (i.e. souvenir shops, bars, etc). And that cash is only needed for shops and trinket purchases from local vendors.

For the HAL sponsored purchases, your key card is used just like onboard the ship, and purchases are charged to your onboard account.

If this is correct, they are using computers to swipe your key cards, right?

Yes you use your key card but no, they are not swiped by a computer.  Charges are done manually like in the old days and you are given a receipt.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The assumption you are making of course is that they are all alcohol drinks which is not what I asked and further my understanding is the packages on HAL include both alcohol and non alcohol when counting to 15 (which again, is unlike almost every other cruise line who do not have any limits and are truly all inclusive without limits). My question was more around if someone has any combination of 7 drinks on the island and then has more once they get back onboard are the packages considered in combination? Notwithstanding, that Carnival Corp  which owns HAL is the only line to my knowledge that puts a limit on drinks (especially if those 15 are combined alcohol and non alcohol) I still don't fathom why they make you buy a separate package on their private island. Other cruise lines honour their drink packages on their private islands.  

As for the combined limit, it what it is I suppose, however when you combine a few sodas and a few waters throughout the day you could easily be on your way to the 15 before you even hit your wine for dinner... Just saying....  

I called HAL and asked about purchasing the HMC beverage package for an upcoming cruise and the agent did not know anything about  it. I could have sworn I saw it as an option to purchase, when I first logged in to my account; but I do not see it any more. How do you purchase this ever elusive package? 

On 10/20/2022 at 4:32 AM, kazu said:

Not sure I’m going to need it, but where/when do you buy the HMC beverage package? Also, will my husband also have to buy it as he does on the ship? (He doesn’t drink alcohol.) Is it worth it if I only have a couple of alcoholic drinks and waters? 

52 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The availability of the HMC beverage package has also disappeared from my November and January cruises.

Hi Cruise Suzy, so glad to know I wasn't just dreaming it....

so sad it might just be a "keep dreaming" deal. hahaha!

Such a great value. I hope to get some answers. 

7 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The availability of the HMC beverage package has also disappeared from my November and January cruises.

Is it possible that they've decided to include their drink package on  Half Moon so there's no need ?Very very unlikely I know but ......

7 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Is it possible that they've decided to include their drink package on  Half Moon so there's no need ?Very very unlikely I know but ......

I thought that could be a possibility, so checked the Signature & Elite Beverage Package descriptions. They still exclude beverages on HMC. But maybe HAL hasn't updated those yet? One can hope ....

The Caribbean season is just starting, so no reports from someone onboard.

15 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I thought that could be a possibility, so checked the Signature & Elite Beverage Package descriptions. They still exclude beverages on HMC. But maybe HAL hasn't updated those yet? One can hope ....

The Caribbean season is just starting, so no reports from someone onboard.

We'll find out on our March '23 sailing to the W Caribbean on NS. 🙂

In some of the live reports and the posted When & Wheres, I’ve seen mention of a shuttle provided from the port into town. How common is that? Is it something that gets announced in advance?

We will be doing a Baltic itinerary with ports in Visby, Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warnemunde, Kiel. Except for Warnemunde, where we’ll be taking the train excursion to Berlin, we plan to explore on our own. Trying to figure out how to get back and forth. 

16 hours ago, washiotter said:

In some of the live reports and the posted When & Wheres, I’ve seen mention of a shuttle provided from the port into town. How common is that? Is it something that gets announced in advance?

We will be doing a Baltic itinerary with ports in Visby, Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warnemunde, Kiel. Except for Warnemunde, where we’ll be taking the train excursion to Berlin, we plan to explore on our own. Trying to figure out how to get back and forth. 

The best place to get this information is in the section for discussion on Northern European/Baltics ports .....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

22 hours ago, washiotter said:

oh! The shuttle is provided by the port, not HAL? 

There are two types of shuttles.  If the port requires a shuttle from the ship to the terminal, they provide it and it is free.  (I.E., there is no pedestrian traffic allowed within the port area.) Once you are at the terminal there will be the regular public transport available.

If pedestrian traffic is allowed at the port, HAL may or may not offer shuttle transport to the town, depending on if it is a walkable distance from the terminal or not.  You can use your ship card to pay a nominal charge.

Attend the port talks for shuttle information or look for the details in your daily program.  The Cruise Director will also mention if a shuttle is available in the early morning announcements.  If you are in your room, where the announcements are not readily heard, either open your door to the hallway to listen or tune your TV to the aft bow cam so you can hear them in your room.  It’s a good idea to have that channel on in the morning as by the time you get your TV tuned to the bow cam the announcements will be over.  Ditto for the noon-time Captain’s address on sea days.  

Enjoy your cruise!

I've never traveled with Holland America before, but in 2006 and 2016 did two cruises with Celebrity that I liked.  Just booked a cruise on the Eurodam to Alaska (May 20th sailing) with my 84-year old Mom. 

Got the Have it All package, even though I don't drink alcohol. My Mom does like wine and beer with dinner, and it was a case of if one gets it the other needs to get the package too. Is fresh orange juice offered? And where will I be able to get premium coffee, like a morning latte? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.