New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

4 hours ago, momster0102 said:

How do I find out when the ship was most recently in dry dock? I read some reviews of the Zuder dam in late 2022 that says it was going into dry dock. Thanks in advance. Please forgive misspellings I’m dictating.

Have you tried a Google search? I believe her last major refurbishment was pre Covid maybe 2019.

6 hours ago, momster0102 said:

How do I find out when the ship was most recently in dry dock? I read some reviews of the Zuder dam in late 2022 that says it was going into dry dock. Thanks in advance. Please forgive misspellings I’m dictating.

Scroll down the list of topics, looking for a thread started by VMAX, and a title that will be a tip-off for what you are looking for. 
He does a list that includes latest drydocks, next scheduled drydock, and a couple of other topics. It's usually updated every couple of months. 

5 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Scroll down the list of topics, looking for a thread started by VMAX, and a title that will be a tip-off for what you are looking for. 
He does a list that includes latest drydocks, next scheduled drydock, and a couple of other topics. It's usually updated every couple of months. 

In the interim I did find that! Thanks!! 

3 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

Next HIA question... if I purchase on the website / app does it charge to my card right away? ie before cruise date?

Yes.  If you are buying it now you are paying for it now.  If you want to wait and buy when onboard then buy it then. 

8 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

Oh I didn't realize this was possible! Can you use OBC this way?

If you are using HIA credits you can use them now or onboard.  All other purchases before the cruise go to your credit card, once onboard your OBC will be used until it is gone  

Thanks for replies to my question yesterday. 

I have another question, can you take a small heating pad for sore muscles on the ship?  I keep looking and there are a number of electric things you can't bring but I can't find out anywhere about electric heating pads. Anyone know?

1 hour ago, gaudi89 said:

Thanks for replies to my question yesterday. 

I have another question, can you take a small heating pad for sore muscles on the ship?  I keep looking and there are a number of electric things you can't bring but I can't find out anywhere about electric heating pads. Anyone know?

Not supposed to be able to. But I brought one on the recent world cruise without any issues. I also brought Salonpas in case HAL confiscated the heating pad.

On Zuiderdam this Fall our last stop is Port Canaveral on Oct. 9, the day before we disembark in Fort Lauderdale. No shore excursions have been loaded for Port Canaveral. Does HAL not run excursions there or is it something that loads close in? All other ports have their excursions loaded.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, AllTheSun said:

On Zuiderdam this Fall our last stop is Port Canaveral on Oct. 9, the day before we disembark in Fort Lauderdale. No shore excursions have been loaded for Port Canaveral. Does HAL not run excursions there or is it something that loads close in? All other ports have their excursions loaded.

You don't need a shore excursion in Port Canaveral.  You can reserve a rental car and drive to Disney or Universal Orlando or Cocoa Beach or Kennedy Space Center. 

• Like 1

Currently we have the HIA package that was complimentary when we booked our 7-day cruise.  I'm trying to determine what the gratuity will be on this, so there are no surprises for the actual cost.  Also, not sure if we can cancel just the drink portion of the HIA.  

22 minutes ago, spally said:

Currently we have the HIA package that was complimentary when we booked our 7-day cruise.  I'm trying to determine what the gratuity will be on this, so there are no surprises for the actual cost. 

Gratuity is included in the package, so as long as you don't exceed the cost limit per drink (still $11 I believe), there is no additional cost for the drink. If you order a drink that exceeds the $11 limit, you will be charged the difference.

Also, not sure if we can cancel just the drink portion of the HIA.  

I don't believe you can.

1 hour ago, spally said:

Currently we have the HIA package that was complimentary when we booked our 7-day cruise.  I'm trying to determine what the gratuity will be on this, so there are no surprises for the actual cost.  Also, not sure if we can cancel just the drink portion of the HIA.  

Are talking daily gratuities or drink gratuities?

Drink gratuities are included in HIA pkg so long as you don't go over your allotment.

Daily gratuities depend on your cabin type, approx $16pp/day. You can find the exact amount on HAL website.

No you cannot cancel part of HIA pkg, but you can cancel the pkg and buy things separately.

• Like 1

There seems to be some confusion about gratuities included in the HIA package.  The "Have It All Plus" package that comes with some bookings includes: 

Elite Beverage Package With Tips

Full Onboard Gratuities

Premium Wi-Fi Package

Shore Excursion credit

This package came as an "Early Booking Bonus" with my booking. 

17 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

There seems to be some confusion about gratuities included in the HIA package.  The "Have It All Plus" package that comes with some bookings includes: 

Full Onboard Gratuities

Premium Wi-Fi Package

Shore Excursion credit

You are correct, only the Early Booking HIA bonus has the included gratuities, occasionally HAL will run a promo for included HIA gratuities on the standard HIA package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

Full Onboard Gratuities

Premium Wi-Fi Package

Shore Excursion credit

Yes and the standard Have It All package that is not part of the Early Booking Bonus, as @terrydtx  mentioned - does not include gratuities and includes the Standard bev pkg (not Elite) and the regular WiFi (not premium). Yours is slightly different - definitely the more enhanced upgraded HIA, so to speak.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

You are correct, only the Early Booking HIA bonus has the included gratuities, occasionally HAL will run a promo for included HIA gratuities on the standard HIA package.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

56 minutes ago, spally said:

I noticed on another post that plastic bottles are banned.  I fully support this, but our drink package includes bottled water.  How does this work?

They use aluminum cans for the bottled water package.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

I hope this is my last planning question... I thought I booked a Pinnacle Grill the other day but I don't see this booking anywhere. Should I be able to find it in my account somewhere?

Yes, if you go online (or on the Navigator app), click on Itinerary. Your dining will show up on the day that you have booked and show your time.

5 hours ago, spally said:

I noticed on another post that plastic bottles are banned.  I fully support this, but our drink package includes bottled water.  How does this work?

Just to be clear, filled plastic bottles are banned.  Sport bottles are not.