Cheers! pricing changes yet again

bumbleklutz

How is it acceptable to tell customers that you don't know the price of what you are selling? Drink packages are not finite, limited quantity objects. This makes no sense. If CCL couldn't give me a direct and plain to understand answer when booking I probably wouldn't be inclined to give them any money at all. It's the people that play along with this sort of marketing that drive it to further implementation. Clear pricing strategy or no money, how about that CCL?

it seems from the various blogs, sites and comments I have read that seem to want to have an option to prepay for the program. To me that would be a better option and possible better sales pitch than having to wait until your on board. Then moving from there if you choice to prepay then they can build in the seasonality of the pricing with your booking.

I had just convinced my DH to try Cheers on our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise on the Sunshine. He thought the $37.50 price was reasonable and we would give it a try, but if our cruise has the higher pricing then there is no way we would do it. It would be nice if Carnival could tell you what the seasons will be. It's not like they don't know this. This way we know ahead of time whether we are going to do it or not. I hate getting some where thinking its one price then they tell you it's a higher price.

Me too! We are cruising on the Liberty for a 5 day cruise for Thanksgiving and had just convinced my husband and myself that even though it is a little higher than we usually spend, it was a better option to purchase Cheers and we could try different drinks and not worry about "sticker shock" on the last day when I get my S&S bill. But with this price increase -- and not knowing til we sail!! -- that will change everything. Call me crazy but I try to figure out all my "set" costs and save and pay for them before we leave. Prevents vacation guilt, especially around Holiday time. Now gotta wonder if we will penalized for cruising during a "busy holiday season" of which we already are paying higher cabin rates and now a higher Cheers rate! Carnival again has messed up by confusing the issue! :mad:

Of course you need to know, how else do you budget? There are many people that have to know exactly what they can spend before they set foot on the ship.

I have figured from past cruises we spend $100 a day for liquor, so on a 7 day cruise like we have coming up, I would pay the $600 but not $800 because that would be just throwing hard earned $$$ away.

Not everything you read is a deal. :)

Psssst: Then budget $700.

If Cheers is less than that, buy it. If it's more than that, don't.

Easy Peasey Lemon Squeezy.

easy-button.png

Disagree. I can see Norwegian doing this because they don't have a drink limit. Carnival has a 15 drink limit so I don't see it necessary to exclude those dates.

Princess charges the same as Carnival's old pricing structure. They do not have a cap of 15 drinks. It is unlimited. They do not require every passenger in the stateroom over 21 to purchase the beverage package. They do not have any exclusions for spring break voyages.

Edited by Disconnections

This is the only update from John Heald so far. I suspect we will have another update before the day is over.

Cheers

My apologies for the confusion on pricing that judging by the number of posts I have seen today is one lots of you share.

Please leave this with me, i am working with the beards and will get everything sorted for you as quickly as possible. It is a great program and I will make sure it is all explained as simply and as clearly as possible as soon as I am able

Thanks so much

John

easy-button.png

It does restrict your options though. DH and I usually buy Bon Voyage and have decided to forego that in lieu of Cheers on our next cruise, based on the published prices. If we can't find out until sailing what that price will be, our window to buy thru Bon Voyage will be closed if the price is higher than anticipated. I've seen a number of other pax doing the same math, so knowing the cost ahead of time can make a difference.

easy-button.png

Well duh, wasn't that my point? I know how to budget and reply to sarcasm, what I would like is to have adult conversations.

Carnival confusion reigns. next thing we know each cruise will have a different Cheers cost associated with it. How many days.? (Will people on a 34 day cruise drink less per sea day than on a 7 day trip?)"What season(can we charge more because it is a high season time?) How many port days versus sea days when people drink more? Right down to extra cost for pouring service in the MDR for your wine? How about average ambient temperature in the ports over the last three years?( somebody knows how much more 1000 people will drink for every 2degree rise in temperature).

Come on Carnival....decide , let your staff ALL know, then let the public know.

We will decide if it is a good deal or not. Big rule of promotions. KISS. Keep it simple,stupid.

I think they need an Early Saver Cheers, and a Pack and Go Cheers, and a Past Guest Cheers, and a ........of course I am kidding!

What a bunch of malarky!:cool:

It does restrict your options though. DH and I usually buy Bon Voyage and have decided to forego that in lieu of Cheers on our next cruise, based on the published prices. If we can't find out until sailing what that price will be, our window to buy thru Bon Voyage will be closed if the price is higher than anticipated. I've seen a number of other pax doing the same math, so knowing the cost ahead of time can make a difference.

If you don't like the price of Cheers once you're on board, you can order your liquor by the bottle from room service. It should be about the same price as BV.

Edited by irishnyc

Princess charges the same as Carnival's old pricing structure. They do not have a cap of 15 drinks. It is unlimited. They do not require every passenger in the stateroom over 21 to purchase the beverage package. They do not have any exclusions for spring break voyages.

That's because the demographics aboard the typical Princess ship are very diffferent than that on a Carnival ship. Generally speaking only.

That's because the demographics aboard the typical Princess ship are very diffferent than that on a Carnival ship. Generally speaking only.

The demographics on the short cruises over a holiday weekend on Princess feel as if they have the same exact audience as Carnival.

Been on two of them... just sayin'

Edited by Disconnections

If you don't like the price of Cheers once you're on board, you can order your liquor by the bottle from room service. It should be about the same price as BV.

That's true, but I think that you pay the 15% gratuity on top of the already over-priced bottle. I'll just bring my calculator and do a cost benefit analysis in the atrium, lol!

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the HIGH cost cheers will be the busiest times and events, IE new years, spring break, summer, and halloween. there will probably be a mid tier for most other times, and the rock bottom for very off season sailings.

(or they'll charge based on how many rooms went unsold ;-)

And how do you know Carnival wont change that? How do you know that after all the run around that they will still keep selling liquor by the bottle from room service. Maybe they will stop that so people will buy the cheers program.

And if I am going to buy the cheer program I will not go to the hassle of buying and bringing on the two bottles of wine for hubby and I. But if the cheer rate is to high then we would. How do you calculate for that?

Edited by tracyvansmith

That's true, but I think that you pay the 15% gratuity on top of the already over-priced bottle. I'll just bring my calculator and do a cost benefit analysis in the atrium, lol!

This is too cute :p I honestly think we could put together a Cheers Cost Analysis meeting in the Atrium at this point.:o

And how do you know Carnival wont change that? How do you know that after all the run around that they will still keep selling liquor by the bottle from room service. Maybe they will stop that so people will buy the cheers program.

And if I am going to buy the cheer program I will not go to the hassle of buying and bringing on the two bottles of wine for hubby and I. But if the cheer rate is to high then we would. How do you calculate for that?

Last time John Heald told us there wouldn't be any changes to the prices with Bon Voyage, they went up significantly less than a week later! Then, he didn't believe guests when they told him.

Edited by Disconnections

Last time John Heald told us there wouldn't be any changes to the prices with Bon Voyage, they went up significantly less than a week later! Then, he didn't believe guests when they told him.

Right so telling some one "don't worry you can still buy a bottle from room service is just wrong. When we have know idea what other changes Carnival is doing. Carnival does not even know what they are doing. You can tell they have no idea when they bring out pricing on a program then not even two weeks later change it. That just shows that they don't know if they are coming or going.

Edited by tracyvansmith

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the HIGH cost cheers will be the busiest times and events, IE new years, spring break, summer, and halloween. there will probably be a mid tier for most other times, and the rock bottom for very off season sailings.

(or they'll charge based on how many rooms went unsold ;-)

..or they'll charge based on your cabin category or your horoscope sign or whether or not the month has an 'R' in it....

It's ridiculous, not customer-friendly, capricious and confusing. Things like this make me cranky! :mad:

Edited by Lovefuninthesun