Would you buy a timeshare (cruise) from NCL?

jmele999

I was thinking about this the other day, and wanted to know how many people would consider buying a timeshare from NCL for a week-long or even longer cruise every year. Not sure if NCL or any other cruiseline could do this, but it could be an interesting idea.

I assume you mean at a discount.

The issue surrounding this would be that a Time Share is 'real property'. It is deeded. The way most of them work is that you trade your week to go to points to use at other locations.

This would be a difficult issue as where would it be deeded (what country, state, county, etc).

How would that differ from taking a cruise every year??? Would you be locked into one ship? What about stateroom choices?:confused::cool:

I think that more money could get you more points that you could use to travel on different ships, and different staterooms. For example, I would think that an oceanview on the Jewel could cost the same number of points as a balcony on an older ship like the sun or spirit. Summer travel would be more expensive as well as taking an Alaskan cruise. You could save your points from one year to take a longer cruise the following year.

The benefits - OBC, extra perks, etc.

I was thinking about this the other day, and wanted to know how many people would consider buying a timeshare from NCL for a week-long or even longer cruise every year. Not sure if NCL or any other cruiseline could do this, but it could be an interesting idea.

.....is this something like yo were thinking about?

The World

Hope this helps.

wasiii

I have owned a deeded week at a timeshare in NH for a long time, I own a fixed week, not points, I can trade my week for a cruise but you have to be flexible, only certain cruises are available on certain ships, never seemed to be worth it to me, I am very picky about what cabin I want, and what ship and itinerary I want, choices are very limited through the exchange system, but might work for some people.

Probably not and it's nothing against NCL. We're just too fussy about cabin type, location, dates, etc. It would probably be too limiting and therefore not worth it.

But, I would love to have a place to call home on The World!

We sometimes trade our points with our timeshare for cruises. It's not always the best deal because you have to pay the exchange fee and the 'perks' like OBC are most times not included. They say that the cruise line gives them the best deals in the first place - and they are a really good rate.

We have always been able to choose our cruise line, itinerary as well as cabin so it's been great. I hate the idea of a timeshare because our home resort is an all inclusive resort and if we were to go there, we would still have to pay the all inclusive fees which can be as much as $200/person /day - ridiculous I know! I can get a flight with a 4-5* hotel all inclusive for less than it would cost me to pay the all inclusive fees alone.

I'd rather pay the exchange fee and go where I want to go than be stuck with my home resort.

.....is this something like yo were thinking about?

The World

Hope this helps.

wasiii

What would help would be the lottery numbers matching up to the ones on my ticket. I would be there in a heartbeat...and not on a timeshare basis...as my official home away from home.

Rochelle

Timeshare is like owning a deed to lifelong maintenance. No thanks. If you owned a timeshare in NCL and they stopped building new ships or sailing where you wanted to sail to, then what? Stuck with increasing maintenance costs on older ships that may cost you more to even get to than it would to just book a week on newer competition when you feel like it.

I pay pennies on the dollar to timeshare owners who can't use or trade their time and go vacation in their spot. All I am doing is offsetting the financial hit they have taken on it. It is almost always a sure bet that I can vacation where I want, when I want, for a fraction of the cost and no long term issues compared to timesharing. You can't even give away timeshares these days.

What would help would be the lottery numbers matching up to the ones on my ticket. I would be there in a heartbeat...and not on a timeshare basis...as my official home away from home.

Rochelle

A friend of mine did two contracts working aboard The World. What an experience. Told me most owners do not stay year round (I think they are encouraged not to, or may not even be allowed to); The World is more of their own vacation spot; they just fly to meet up with the ship and come and go as needed.

A friend of mine did two contracts working aboard The World. What an experience. Told me most owners do not stay year round (I think they are encouraged not to, or may not even be allowed to); The World is more of their own vacation spot; they just fly to meet up with the ship and come and go as needed.

It is possible for a resident to stay year round aboard The World.

http://aboardtheworld.com/sites/default/files/TheWorld-FAQ.pdf

Do people live on the Ship year-round?

There are some Residents who live on the Ship year-round, with the majority continuing to be active in their professional lives and spending three to four months onboard. The average occupancy at one time is 150 Residents so the atmosphere is quite intimate.

We use our timeshare points to cruise our company had an agreement with NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used our Marriott timeshare for a 11 day Panama Canal Cruise (HAL - aft wrap around balcony) in April this year. Also using in 2015 for a 14 day Greece & Adriatic B2B with NCL. Thought it was a good deal.

CT

I wouldn't own a time share in anything. Just me.

We bought our timeshare week when timeshare was just starting to be offered, we paid $3000. for the week at an established Alpine village in the white mountains, our maintenance fee was 85. a year, and we used our week every year either at our home resort or somewhere else in the mountains.

When we moved to FL we started trading for places like the keys, Marco island and Siesta key, we have stayed at some outstanding resorts.

It has been worth every penny for us, even though our maintenance fee has increased, but I agree that it is not something to get into now, probably not even in the last 35 years, but glad we got in when we did, we were very young and an easy sale!:)

Rochelle

Totally agree

Sail 2 -3 weeks......Visit home 1-2 weeks..

Repeat....Repeat. ...Repeat

Safe sailing.......good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Timeshare for a cruise nope as I always get Rock bottom prices for my cruises anyway

A deeded timeshare to the same beachfront condo for the same glorious 2 weeks in perpetuity that I can pass down to the kids and is only an easy 4 hour drive away? Priceless.

Plus having the time and money to do the above plus take cruises and see other places in the world? priceless x2

Appreciating all of the above and being a very low maintenance traveler? Pricelessx1000

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Agree with this 100%.

How does anyone really have a clue what they want to do for the next 5 -10 -20 years?

Really.

However when we can't use our beachfront condo ( which rarely happens as we work it out that way) I can rent it out for $2400 per week

The place sells itself and takes only a few hours or less to get a taker

Usually a friend of a friend takes it but for a very very low fee it can be listed on more than reputable timeshare/ condo rental sites

Easily done

My 75 yo friend just did it this year with absolutely no issue. Payment received in full before said timeshare week via money order

Edited by luvtheships

Timeshare is like owning a deed to lifelong maintenance. No thanks. If you owned a timeshare in NCL and they stopped building new ships or sailing where you wanted to sail to, then what? Stuck with increasing maintenance costs on older ships that may cost you more to even get to than it would to just book a week on newer competition when you feel like it.

I pay pennies on the dollar to timeshare owners who can't use or trade their time and go vacation in their spot. All I am doing is offsetting the financial hit they have taken on it. It is almost always a sure bet that I can vacation where I want, when I want, for a fraction of the cost and no long term issues compared to timesharing. You can't even give away timeshares these days.

Funny thing is that We sit on an easily rented out goldmine and know it!!

The fact that it is beachfront which is scarce in this incredible vacation spot that everyone drives to seems to be the key. Hehe

Edited by luvtheships