Zuiderdams last trip before dry dock..issues????

Jldevlin

We are looking to book Zuiderdams last trip from Ft Lauderdale to Rome. Then it goes into drydock for 2 weeks. Has anyone had any issues on any ship that was about to head into drydock???? Maybe not having as much stock as a ship would normally have?????

We were on the Zuiderdam just before she went into dry dock in Dec '07 and there lots of minor issues - things that seemed to have been let slide until the d-d. One example of many: my DD got locked into a lavatory stall for about 1/2 hour when the lock would not work ... and neither did the emergency phone. :eek: Finally with enough fooling around with it she got out. I will not go on a pre dry dock cruise again.

Edited by catl331

Why tempt fate?

We would not book any ship that is just going into or just coming out of dry dock. Most especially post dry dock cruises.

Same for inaugural cruises. Any cruise line.

Edited by iancal

Why tempt fate?

We would not book any ship that is just going into or just coming out of dry dock. Most especially post dry dock cruises.

Totally agree with iancal, would not book the cruise before or after dry dock.

Totally agree with iancal, would not book the cruise before or after dry dock.

Lol .. I know .. normally would not do it ... but we are getting the flights from Vancouver and back from Rome paid by the TA ...and the drinks,room gratuities also. So maybe I have to lower my expectations of what will be available on board.We did a day tour of the ship yesterday and I really like the feel of it. Of course the wine was free flowing so that might have something to do with it!!!! We want to go to Europe but the cost of air is so high now.

We were on a partial Panama Canal cruise on Z the week before she went into dry dock.

There were only 40 chaise loungers out on the aft deck for the whole cruise and no one could tell us why

When we docked in FLL the 40 chairs were also gone and a large crane was loading containers onto the aft lido deck even before we got off the ship at 8:30 AM

Lots of people were peeved coming out during the sunny days and not an empty lounger anywhere outside. The mid ship pool was a seething mass of sweaty humanity amidst an appalling clamor!!

Don't go on the cruise terminating on March 29, 2015 as she is going under the knives again

Lol .. I know .. normally would not do it ... but we are getting the flights from Vancouver and back from Rome paid by the TA ...and the drinks,room gratuities also. So maybe I have to lower my expectations of what will be available on board.We did a day tour of the ship yesterday and I really like the feel of it. Of course the wine was free flowing so that might have something to do with it!!!! We want to go to Europe but the cost of air is so high now.

Hey in that case, even I would go. How can you pass up those perks.:D Think that is a good idea just lower you expectations, and if it turns out great even better yet.:)

Wow! Wanna share who your TA is?:D Flights, drinks and tips all paid by your TA - what a deal.

Sounds like a fantastic deal. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. Besides Europe will be great. Do it and enjoy! We love the Zuiderdam.

Why tempt fate?

We learned our lesson the hard way and took the Veendam Panama Canal cruise right after a major dry dock. The dry dock removed a pool, added some cabins and contained many other enhancements.

The ship was under construction the entire sailing and there were many problems. HAL and the crew made the best of it and offered everyone a future credit to cruise again. We will be sure not to book a cruise right after dry dock after the Veendam experience. We were new to cruising back then and didn't even realize the ship was being worked on.

Edited by bvocruise

Maybe I'm in the minority, but we sailed on the Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam before their drydocks and didn't have a single problem. The main thing we noticed was on the Westerdam, all of the loungers were being removed from the aft pool on disembarkation morning. Other than that, neither ship had any signs of the upcoming drydock. We also sailed on the Amsterdam this past December after her most recent drydock and the ship was in impeccable condition with no remaining construction being done. While I don't discount the serious issues others have had on pre and post-drydock cruises, I did want to share our experiences to let you know that these cruises aren't always a bad experience.

We have been on several ships just before drydock - as in, we get off, the ship goes in - and have never been impacted in any way.

Maybe we have that to look forward to ... not ... :rolleyes:

We will be on the Zuiderdam in late Feb/early March and have no worries.

Edited by Lady Chew

I think that there is far greater risk in a post drydock cruise.

The cruise lines want to reduce the time in dry dock as much as possible. Even to the extent of making the first one or two post dry dock cruises a construction zone on water. I call it cheating the customer.

Well we are jumping ship .... to the Eurodam leaving 3 weeks later .. after thinking about it for a bit and checking the dates ... we decided to go with a 3 week transatlantic instead of the 2 week. I also realized we would be in Rome during holy week ... and the crowds would be much greater then. Thanks everyone for your advise ..

Hello "Jldevlin"

We did have twice the ‘chance’ to be on the Volendam prior to a dry dock (both are been 14 days cruises)

It was just some work around to see, but not a annoying behavior – and did also not bother our lovely cruise.

Happy cruising

G E R D

Hello "Jldevlin"

We did have twice the 'chance' to be on the Volendam prior to a dry dock (both are been 14 days cruises)

It was just some work around to see, but not a annoying behavior – and did also not bother our lovely cruise.

Happy cruising

G E R D

Can somebody please tell me when the ship is going into dry dock? We are cruising Barcelona to Venice in August 2015 so hopefully will be back to normal by then.

I've been trying to get that info as well. From what I can see of the ship's schedule, Zuiderdam goes into drydock after it arrives in Rome on March 31st, and I think the next scheduled cruise is about two weeks later. So all the post-dock problems should be corrected by the time you board.

I've been trying to get that info as well. From what I can see of the ship's schedule, Zuiderdam goes into drydock after it arrives in Rome on March 31st, and I think the next scheduled cruise is about two weeks later. So all the post-dock problems should be corrected by the time you board.

Thank you so much for the information. Really looking forward to August next year. Lots of daydreaming to be had before then!

• 1 month later...
We have been on several ships just before drydock - as in, we get off, the ship goes in - and have never been impacted in any way.

Maybe we have that to look forward to ... not ... :rolleyes:

We will be on the Zuiderdam in late Feb/early March and have no worries.

Lady, we're with you on that cruise. I am not concerned. There is time before the dry dock, apparently.