Honestly, how do you long-time RC cruisers feel about Dynamic Dining?

As long as it's handled smoothly, and I don't have to wait long for a table, it doesn't really matter. It would be nice if they had more (included) venues to chose from.

The 2 seating standard is a relic from the past, and was due to the limitations of the ships and systems at that time. It's not really necessary as technology has improved. There's no need to keep something inflexible simply due to "tradition". If they can offer flexibility to the satisfaction of the customers, then why not? Those that still want to eat at the same time every night can continue to do so, and if they want to sit with the same travelers, they can still do that too, so there doesn't seem to be any downside, as long as they keep delays to a minimum.

If your times are not available, you will not necessarily be able to eat at the same time every night, and in the same place very night. Perhaps yes; perhaps no.

But I really want to make a point about 'tradition'. Why is that often perceived as a bad thing? People still put up Christmas trees. People still hide eggs for their kids on Easter. Brides still wear white to weddings, and the majority of people still hold 'formal' weddings. People still do the countdown on 12/31 to ring in the new year. There are traditions that become silly and faded as time goes on. And then there are traditions that are very satisfying to many people. I believe traditional dining times on cruise ships (along with formal nights) are one of those. I prefer options like Celebrity has now (I am more familiar with that line, although have cruised RCI and am doing so soon) - they have what they call Select Dining which allows flexibility, but maintain a main dining room section for those who prefer the traditional approach. Everyone is happy. That would be my preference. I go along with those who prefer the one and done decision - one of the things I liked about cruising - keeping it simple and keeping decisions to a minimum. Not for everyone but definitely for me.

That happened because the people in charge of implementing ship board policies don't even know who Adam Goldstein is.

Well possibly it's time he finds them and makes sure they know who he is by pointing a finger at the one who made the decision and saying YOU'RE FIRED

Edited by Peterbilt Driver

If your times are not available, you will not necessarily be able to eat at the same time every night, and in the same place very night. Perhaps yes; perhaps no.

But I really want to make a point about 'tradition'. Why is that often perceived as a bad thing? People still put up Christmas trees. People still hide eggs for their kids on Easter. Brides still wear white to weddings, and the majority of people still hold 'formal' weddings. People still do the countdown on 12/31 to ring in the new year. There are traditions that become silly and faded as time goes on. And then there are traditions that are very satisfying to many people. I believe traditional dining times on cruise ships (along with formal nights) are one of those. I prefer options like Celebrity has now (I am more familiar with that line, although have cruised RCI and am doing so soon) - they have what they call Select Dining which allows flexibility, but maintain a main dining room section for those who prefer the traditional approach. Everyone is happy. That would be my preference. I go along with those who prefer the one and done decision - one of the things I liked about cruising - keeping it simple and keeping decisions to a minimum. Not for everyone but definitely for me.

I surely won't disagree with you on the value of keeping 'traditional things'. I surely like them in my life. Royal management may feel that they are merely changing the form of the tradition, but to me (and it seems that you and others) I don't agree.

I will try it, if it is on a ship, I want to take for a cruise. It won't ruin my cruise however.

I surely won't disagree with you on the value of keeping 'traditional things'. I surely like them in my life. Royal management may feel that they are merely changing the form of the tradition, but to me (and it seems that you and others) I don't agree.

I will try it, if it is on a ship, I want to take for a cruise. It won't ruin my cruise however.

You have a good attitude. While I agree, tradition is nice, but so is change (sometimes). Why do some people anticipate they will not like the new dining plan? People might truly enjoy it! People should be open minded and if they truly do not like, consider other options next cruise. People didn't like reserving shows on the Ships, but now, many people really like knowing that they will have a seat for a particular show on a specified day.

Edited by Cruise a holic

You have a good attitude. While I agree, tradition is nice, but so is change (sometimes). Why do some people anticipate they will not like the new dining plan? People might truly enjoy it! People should be open minded and if they truly do not like, consider other options next cruise. People didn't like reserving shows on the Ships, but now, many people really like knowing that they will have a seat for a particular show on a specified day.

When I used the phrase "It won't ruin my cruise" in the post you replied to of mine, I was not being negative. I was being truthful. Whether DD is a good experience for us or not when we have it on our first cruise with it -- the cruise will be terrific. Whenever we can be away for a vacation is WONDERFUL. Life is short and we try to enjoy as much of life as we can.

We may love DD, or we may not -- for our own reasons. We are honest about the differences we anticipate, that doesn't mean more than that.

We are honest about the differences we anticipate, that doesn't mean more than that.

G'morn Paulette. Did you happen to see this thread I started the other day? I know I've responded to one or two of your comments in this thread (or one of the other DD threads, I can't remember :p)... maybe this info can help you.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096871

Could it be that the Dynamic Dining concept is just a transition stage to 100% For Fee Specialty Dining? Perhaps not now but certainly in the future. After all, the ships will be set up with all the individual restaurants, why not charge a nominal fee for dining? This could turn into a real cash cow for the cruise lines.

We're all just speculating, no one can know at this point - but I personally think you're correct on that. If they suddenly made all dining options "for fee" at this point, I think customers would rebel and it would be a disaster for them. But if they do it in small, incremental steps over 5-10 years, it will be absorbed much easier by the customer base.

Like the (true) story about frogs and boiling water. Drop a frog into boiling water and he'll immediately jump out. Put a frog in cold water that is slowly brought to the boiling point and you'll end up with boiled frog!

I spoke with RCCL and was told that you could do main dining room or Dynamic Dining. I am on the schedule for 6:00 seating on the Quantum. I do plan on eating in different restaurants also. We have done this on the Oasis. It is fun to mix it up. I do love meeting new people, but I do that mostly in the Concierge lounge or Diamond lounge. On the Quantum, many of the restaurants are free of charge. There are a few that cost money, but I will pick and choose. I do plan on going to Silk which is Asian.

I spoke with RCCL and was told that you could do main dining room or Dynamic Dining. I am on the schedule for 6:00 seating on the Quantum. I do plan on eating in different restaurants also. We have done this on the Oasis. It is fun to mix it up. I do love meeting new people, but I do that mostly in the Concierge lounge or Diamond lounge. On the Quantum, many of the restaurants are free of charge. There are a few that cost money, but I will pick and choose. I do plan on going to Silk which is Asian.

Now I'm really confused.:confused:

There is NO main dining room on the Quantum, only the smaller venues listed as complimentary of for a fee unless they mean the Windjammer Buffet. ??

bosco

I spoke with the C&A of RCCL yesterday and they said there would be a main dining room unless they really don't know.

Well possibly it's time he finds them and makes sure they know who he is by pointing a finger at the one who made the decision and saying YOU'RE FIRED

Sounds like Undercover Boss ...

http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_boss/

Which, BTW, the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Lines participated in ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpk7WNG2gtQ

The Main dining room has been "re-imagined" as 18 different venues...:rolleyes: RCCl Customer service rarely know as much as an experienced cruiser IMO...

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheet/27/quantum-of-the-seas/

Okay, I called C&A again and this one seemed to know more about the Quantum. She told me there is no main dining room so you are right. Interesting that my reservation says confirmed early for my dining. Maybe I'm not suppose to eat. Anyway, on the deck plans there is a huge area on levels 3 and 4 that don't have anything in them - I wonder what this will be.

This cruiser (diamond) does not find DyDi at all appealing and we have, based upon DyDi as the "final straw", voted with our pocketbook and have booked our next cruise on another line.

While I appreciate that RCCI is trying something new, it does not appeal to me. And there are several other changes that RCCI has been making over the past few years that make it clear that we are heading in different directions.

You points about "tradition" are good. Lots of folks like tradition.

I was just comparing stats on two very different ships - Quantum pax capacity is 4905 and the Windjammer pax capacity is 860.

Majesty of the Seas pax capacity is 2744 but the Windjammer will hold 875.

Can you imagine what the Windjammer will be like first thing in the morning on Quantum? The same crowded scenes as on Allure IMO....

I was just comparing stats on two very different ships - Quantum pax capacity is 4905 and the Windjammer pax capacity is 860.

Can you imagine what the Windjammer will be like first thing in the morning on Quantum? The same crowded scenes as on Allure IMO....

Well the breakfast scene that we experienced on Allure was not crowded in WJ when we went there. On days we did not go to the WJ for breakfast there are plenty of other places to enjoy breakfast.....I imagine that will be the same on Quantum. It isn't fair to compare Majesty numbers to the other ships, simply because she does not have the facility for too many breakfast venues, although the MDR is always available on her for breakfast.

On Quantum, besides the WJ, you can also have breakfast (no fee charged) at Solarium Bistro, American Icon Grill, Cafe @ 2-70, Cafe Promenade and for suite guests, Coastal Kitchen.

G'morn Paulette. Did you happen to see this thread I started the other day? I know I've responded to one or two of your comments in this thread (or one of the other DD threads, I can't remember :p)... maybe this info can help you.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096871

The information on the thread you have provided is more or less information we all know about. Time will tell how any of the people who try the DD option will like it.

Eventually I will try it, and determine from that experience if I want to do it again. Or how to utilize it to MY BENEFIT and enjoyment.

Life doesn't revolve around the dining room....although I don't often pass up an opportunity to eat on board ship.