birth certificates.

goaties

Am i correct in saying birth certificates are ok to sail from LA to Hawaii???

leaving and returning from LA....

the rules say transpacific cruises require passport. LA to Hawaii is not considered transpacific?

Anyone know for sure. I called carnival and there was a long wait.

thanks

this is what site says:

Sailings from Hawaii and Transpacific Cruises

U.S. citizens must have a valid passport.

the rules say transpacific cruises require passport. LA to Hawaii is not considered transpacific?

thanks

this is what site says:

http://www.passportsandvisas.com/passport-requirements/cruise/passportsforcarnivalcruises.asp

Edited by Bookbug53

thanks

this is what site says:

I read that as a cruise that departs from Hawaii requires a passport (one way cruise to somewhere else), as well as any cruise that crosses the Pacific one-way requires a passport.

Technically, a closed loop cruise beginning and ending in Long Beach, stopping only at Western Hemisphere ports, only requires a birth certificate plus (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID.

That's the law, anyway.

That being said, cruise lines can (and do ) have stricter requirements than the law. It's best to call Carnival for a confirmation as to what will be required for your cruise.

thanks

this is what site says:

not a closed loop cruise! You need a passport

yes, thanks. we will be ok with birth certificate only then. we start and end in Long Beach.. We do stop in Mexico so we can end at Long Beach. Jones Act. etc...

Actually it's the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act). Jones Act has to do with cargo, not passengers.

ok. i will research that. lol.. i was told Jones Act... i know nothing about it.

i have a passport , but two going with us only have birth certificates.. we do leave and return to LA so we should be fine. Hawaii is US, but i was wondering about the mexico stop. It would be closed loop because we do end where we start. Right?

think your friends would be nuts going on a cruise like that without a passport. I would double and quadruple check with the cruiseline rather than here as it will be pretty sad you getting on the ship and leaving them behind just because you read it on Cruise Critic!

But that's only my view.

Edited by Theodorable

ok. i will research that. lol.. i was told Jones Act... i know nothing about it.

i have a passport , but two going with us only have birth certificates.. we do leave and return to LA so we should be fine. Hawaii is US, but i was wondering about the mexico stop. It would be closed loop because we do end where we start. Right?

Yes, as long as where you depart the ship is the same port that you boarded, it's a closed-loop cruise. And, according to the law, the minimum requirement for those is a birth certificate plus (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID. However, as I pointed out, there are cruise lines whose requirements are stricter than the law, and do require passports even on closed-loop cruises.

Jones Act/PVSA - many people (even those in the travel industry) mix them up. Basically they say the same thing, but one is about transporting cargo and the other about transporting passengers. Not really about passports, but about the fact that they can't transport between different US ports without a stop in a distant foreign port.

think your friends would be nuts going on a cruise like that without a passport. I would double and quadruple check with the cruiseline rather than here as it will be pretty sad you getting on the ship and leaving them behind just because you read it on Cruise Critic!

But that's only my view.

Just curious as to why you think they would be nuts without passports?

I'd be a nit more concerned if they had a lot of stops in foreign countries.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Just curious as to why you think they would be nuts without passports?

I'd be a nit more concerned if they had a lot of stops in foreign countries.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

In guessing that statement was made because what if something happens while in Ensenada? And they get left behind in port or need to get back to the US pronto.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

In guessing that statement was made because what if something happens while in Ensenada? And they get left behind in port or need to get back to the US pronto.

That's right. That 5 hour service stop the Miracle makes in Ensenada would be the only time a passport would come in handy for the reasons you stated. And you never know what kind of emergency could possibly pop up.

Legally, however, this closed loop voyage can be done by US citizens with only a government issued Birth Certificate and a photo ID.

there are cruise lines whose requirements are stricter than the law, and do require passports even on closed-loop cruises.

I have a passport, but am curious as to which cruise lines you've either sailed or considered sailing with that impose stricter citizenship documentation that would exceed US Homeland Security / Customs Border Patrol requirements for US citizens on closed loop sailings from and back to US ports?

I am not doubting you, but I've been on a decent mix of cruise lines, and certainly not every one, and haven't encountered this.

Edited by AdGuyMG

I have a passport, but am curious as to which cruise lines you've either sailed or considered sailing with that impose stricter citizenship documentation that would exceed US Homeland Security / Customs Border Patrol requirements for US citizens on closed loop sailings from and back to US ports?

I am not doubting you, but I've been on a decent mix of cruise lines, and certainly not every one, and haven't encountered this.

I was thinking that myself but was afraid to ask.

Bill

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

That's all I could come up with too, but calling someone nuts because they are traveling without a passport on the off chance something might happen in a 5 hour span during a 2 week cruise seems a bit over the top.

Bill

The luxury lines seem to be the ones that require a passport of all passengers on all itineraries, I know of no main stream line that requires it.

I got this answer message from Carnival. Birth Certificates are ok on closed loop cruises.

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

I have included below identification options for U.S. citizens:

Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport.

Cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port (referred to as a closed-loop cruise)

For cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port, ALL Guests are required to carry proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) and guests 16 years of age and older are required to have a government-issued photo ID. Any of the WHTI-Compliant Documents listed below are also acceptable.

Birth Certificate Information

• An original Birth Certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A suitable, quality copy of a Birth Certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
    o A clear and readable Xerox copy is acceptable (document does not need to be notarized or certified)
    o Birth Certificate Card is acceptable

Photo Identification

• A Government-Issued Photo ID. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. Sources of Photo ID:
    • Driver's License
    • Driver's Permit
    • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
    • Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

WHTI-Compliant Documents

Valid U.S. Passport

The Passport Card

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

State Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL)

Certificate of U.S. Naturalization and a Government-Issued Photo ID.

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card - NEXUS Card, SENTRI Card or FAST Card

Native American Indian Tribal Documents with affixed Photo ID

If you need further clarification please contact U.S. Immigration at 800 375 5283.

Yes, this cruise is classified as a closed loop.

Thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Lines.

Just need a drivers license to drive or walk across at Tijuana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting into Tijuana you need nothing. To come back into the USA you need a Passport, Passport card or enhanced driver license.

They will most likely let in with a Birth Certificate and other government ID.

Don't understand all the misinformation given on this site.