Dental Problems Onboard

karinad

Because I've been to the dentist with pain in my tooth 3 times in the past month, I'm wondering if anyone had tooth problems when on their cruise? I have a dental mystery that isn't showing up on xray. It could be a nerve dying, but other then bad, shocking pain when eating something hot or cold, no other signs. It's not just sensitivity.:(

So, since we'll be cruising for close to 12 days in Oct., it concerns me. What would one do if there was a dental emergency?

Because I've been to the dentist with pain in my tooth 3 times in the past month, I'm wondering if anyone had tooth problems when on their cruise? I have a dental mystery that isn't showing up on xray. It could be a nerve dying, but other then bad, shocking pain when eating something hot or cold, no other signs. It's not just sensitivity.:(

So, since we'll be cruising for close to 12 days in Oct., it concerns me. What would one do if there was a dental emergency?

I can't answer about what you would do in a dental emergency, but I do have very sensitive teeth and never travel without a numbing gel (Oragel). It comes in Q-Tip type sticks so you can target it directly on the painful tooth. I have needed it a couple times and have been so thankful to have it with me. :o

My SIL had a filling fall out or chipped her tooth (sorry, I can't remember which) while on one of our cruises. She had to eat on the other side due to pain from hot/cold, if I'm not mistaken. The shipboard Dr. could do nothing for her.

Harriet

Maybe your dentist can write you a pain med prescription before you go in case of emergency

Usually when we cruise, I bring all but casting material for a break! I used to work for a Podiatrist and can fix a foot, if need be! I do usually bring antibiotics, pain meds, stomach problems meds, and Denti-Temp for lost or broken fillings(doesn't work well, but it's something).

It's very scary that there's no emergency care for dental. I once had a small fracture in a tooth and the pain was constant and excruciating! When I got in to the dentist and he gave me the Novocain, it was heaven!

I take good care of my teeth, but I can't turn back the clock for the fillings I got as a child. Age does not help teeth, the same with other parts of our body!

I can't answer about what you would do in a dental emergency, but I do have very sensitive teeth and never travel without a numbing gel (Oragel). It comes in Q-Tip type sticks so you can target it directly on the painful tooth. I have needed it a couple times and have been so thankful to have it with me. :o

Thanks! I never tried Oragel myself, but had it for the kids when teething many years ago.

Do you know that there is a desensitizing procedure the dentist could apply for sensitive teeth? When I was there he applied this awful tasting stuff to a couple of the teeth where my problem is. I don't think it really helped a lot, but some. It's supposed to help the nerve. Google it.

You might be able to find a local dentist in one of the ports you visit. If your dentist thinks its a dying nerve why don't you just have the root canal now to play it safe. If the tooth is strong you have time to put a crown on after you come home. Sometimes a abcess doesn't always show up on a xray.

Thanks! I never tried Oragel myself, but had it for the kids when teething many years ago.

Do you know that there is a desensitizing procedure the dentist could apply for sensitive teeth? When I was there he applied this awful tasting stuff to a couple of the teeth where my problem is. I don't think it really helped a lot, but some. It's supposed to help the nerve. Google it.

Yes, actually I do. I have had two root canals on one of my teeth and the dentist used that on that tooth. It actually did help a bit. It just took a long time for it to heal and had quite an ordeal with it. I'm fortunate to still have all my own teeth (my father had dentures at 26, and not because he was negligent) and I want to keep it that way!

My ex-husband suggested the Oragel once and it really helped. But, I hope you're able to go on your cruise never have to use it! :D

On a cruise 30 years ago, my husband had a problem with his teeth. The medical center was able to recommend the local dentist in the port that the crew uses and he had root canal in Acapulco. The dentist had studied in California and had met his wife there but returned to Mexico to practice. At the time, it was so cheap, compared to NY, that we joked that we could go on trips to have our dental work done.

A few weeks ago I saw a brand new product advertised by CVS that was available for pre-order by Crest Sensi strips to apply to a problem tooth that will work for up to 30 days. I have not found it in the stores yet, but did see it on line also at walmart. About $22 for 6 strips. It might be worth a try.

Buy a bottle of clove oil at a health food store. It comes with an eye dropper/applicator in the cap. Clove oil helps to numb tooth pain in some cases and it doesn't hurt to have it along. And it doesn't taste bad.

Good luck - I hope you have zero teeth issues on your cruise.

I second getting a bottle of clove oil. We got ours at a pharmacy. They had it back behind the counter. Works wonders on tooth pain. Use a q-tip and put it around the painful tooth.

Also, I would get a pain med to bring along just in case. Pain from a tooth can be excruciating.

On NCL my traveling companion had a temp tooth fall out and was unable to get any help from the ship's doctor. I finally convinced him to use my Superglue to keep the tooth in (although he said his dentist at home would kill him) .

I would say there's no dental care available, so bring whatever you may need.

Great, helpful, suggestions! Thank you! I knew I wasn't alone here! I was hoping that my dentist would start the root canal, but, I had the feeling they wanted to get out of there for the holiday weekend. He did stress to me that they are on call 24hrs. for emergencies. I'm trying to avoid one! He said he didn't want to "jump the gun."

I will how to get the clove oil. The old remedies are the best! My cruise is at the end of Oct..

On NCL my traveling companion had a temp tooth fall out and was unable to get any help from the ship's doctor. I finally convinced him to use my Superglue to keep the tooth in (although he said his dentist at home would kill him) .

I would say there's no dental care available, so bring whatever you may need.

How did the Super Glue work out for him?

It's really a shame that there isn't a dentist onboard! Most people don't put their teeth on the night table when they go to bed. I'm thinking that it's not a bad idea! We'll be at sea for about 5 days (not in a row). Geez, I'd hate to be on a TA if something happened!

How did the Super Glue work out for him?

It's really a shame that there isn't a dentist onboard! Most people don't put their teeth on the night table when they go to bed. I'm thinking that it's not a bad idea! We'll be at sea for about 5 days (not in a row). Geez, I'd hate to be on a TA if something happened!

He had to be careful about what he ate, but the Superglue worked like a charm! It was a front tooth, so it could have ruined his cruise to look toothless. He was mortified.

He had to be careful about what he ate, but the Superglue worked like a charm! It was a front tooth, so it could have ruined his cruise to look toothless. He was mortified.

Thanks for sharing! Super Glue has many uses! I think I would have glued my fingers to my teeth with it!:eek:

Thanks for sharing! Super Glue has many uses! I think I would have glued my fingers to my teeth with it!:eek:

Fractured a cap once. The dentist at home did a temporary fix on it until we could return home. Needless to say that did not work and it all came loose two days later. My daughter gave me her nail glue - worked great and lasted all trip!

I carry a bottle of Anbesol with me in my medi-bag. While this stuff is mostly

used for gum and kanker sores problems it can be used short term for tooth

problems. I would like to get the full dental product used by dentists for numbing

the area where a needle is to be inserted administering a local anesthetic.

The ships medical people can always give you the "take two of these and call

me in morning" over the counter medication and you can always carry a few

in your own medical bag.

Avoid buying the over the counter stuff from the ship's gift shop - a big rip off !

As with any drug prescribed or over the counter best to leave the pills (medication)

in their original container so the contents are not suspect for drug smuggling

and if misused appropriate measures can be taken to avoid adverse reactions.

And take care with drugs and drinking alcoholic ! And use that Super Glue

with the utmost care - nothing like bonding your jaw shut for the voyage !

I had dental problems during a cruise last year - I broke one of the front teeth while having dinner on day 2 of the cruise. Luckily no nerves was harmed, so it didn't hurt, but lets just say that I did NOT have a nice smile. And since I didn't want to keep my mouth closed for the rest of the cruise :p , I just contacted the medical office on board and they made an appointment for me (through their port agent) at a dentist office in one of the ports we visited. They also organized transportation from the ship to the dentist and back. There they build up the tooth again "temporarily" with some special material, and it looked "normal" again after that. Now, more than a year later, it has not been necessary to replace it - my dentist at home said they had done some really good work, so I was very satisfied. It was not that expensive, I believe I paid around $300 in total, and my travel insurance refunded most of it when I came home.

Edited by TrumpyNor

My father in law had his partial come loose on Epic. He was afraid he was going to choke on it while sleeping. As others stated there is no dentist on board and they can only manage pain (but he was not in pain)

We were able to go to a dentist in St Maarten. It was a nice office on the French side. They allowed us to use the NCL phone to phone from the ship and found us a dentist. After the dentist we still had time for beach fun before going back to the ship.

Dental tips -

If you have a temporary crown in place, your dentist should give you a small pack of temporary crown cement, and describe how to use it if needed. Ideally, I would try to not have a temp in place while on vacation, but YMMV.

If there's a tooth which has been "questionable", I'd fill a prescription for an antibiotic and pain meds just in case. Better to have it, and not need it, than the other way around!

Something else to consider is having some temp filling material should a piece of tooth break and become sensitive - I believe most pharmacies would carry something like this. If a tooth breaks and exposes dentin, that should provide the necessary "insulation" from cold/hot - though perhaps not sweets. If the break exposes a vital nerve, a trip to the closest dentist would likely be in order.

Speaking specifically to a temperature sensitive tooth which also hurts when chewed on - my guess is there's a fracture in the tooth (see "cracked tooth syndrome"). A crown is often required... though one first needs to rule out simple occlusal trauma -- where the bite is off and it simply needs to be adjusted. A tooth which is hitting "high" will be tender to chewing, as well as hypersensitive to temperature. It could also be a filling which is loose... if that's the case, replacing the filling should do the trick.

One can't plan for everything - but a little preparation goes a long way.

Heading to my office in about an hour to see a patient who has a tooth which he's worried about.. he leaves on a cruise on Labor Day !

Tom

They have the mix your own type temporary fillings in the medical center, but as has already been said no dentist on any of the ships.

Top tip to avoid needing a dentist , be careful to check your balcony door is open before walking through :(

Edited by JohnIreland

My experience tells me if you are sensitive to both hot and cold you need to see the endodontist for a root canal this will solve the problem and when you get back you can complete the crown on the tooth. The problem here is cold symptoms are considered and are usually reversible symptom that goes away what the cause is taken away i.e. tooth (occlusion) to high, sensitivity (recession) or trauma. Hot indicates a nerve involvement that doesn't go away it my subside , but come back with a vengeance. As far as the cracked tooth when a endodontist is doing the root canal he or she will be able to determine if the tooth is cracked. Not all cracked teeth need to be extracted unless the fracture is through the root. Cracked teeth usually need a crown and more than likely need a root canal also . So as you can see you need to have the tooth evaluated by an endodontist for a root canal and or crack to see if the tooth is restorable. If your regular DDS is doing the root canal he or she may not have the microscopes to see cracks like an endodontist .

If this all doesn't work for you get the prescriptions for antibiotics, and pain prior to leaving