Another B2B Question

mame42

Looking at cabin availability on the HAL booking site, the numbers do not add up. For instance, on the 42 day Maasdam TransAtl, the eastbound segment lists 1 available Lanai and the westbound segment lists 4. However, when looking at the entire 42 day round trip, the site gives a total number of 9 available Lanais. Only 1 of the cabin numbers for any of the sailings coincide. What gives???

Looking at cabin availability on the HAL booking site, the numbers do not add up. For instance, on the 42 day Maasdam TransAtl, the eastbound segment lists 1 available Lanai and the westbound segment lists 4. However, when looking at the entire 42 day round trip, the site gives a total number of 9 available Lanais. Only 1 of the cabin numbers for any of the sailings coincide. What gives???

Looks to me like they want to save most of them for Psgrs who are doing only the Round trip...You didn't say when this is, but I would think as it gets closer to departure & many are still available they will start to open up for one way cruisers...That's an excellent marketing ploy..

Edited by serendipity1499

Looks to me like they want to save most of them for Psgrs who are doing only the Round trip...You didn't say when this is, but I would think as it gets closer to departure & many are still available they will start to open up for one way cruisers...That's an excellent marketing ploy..

You are likely right.

Makes sense.

Don't trust anything on that website these days. That site has lots of problems.

You might wish to call a PCC?

I agree fully with both of you.

I once had a situation on the "old" web site where I wanted to book a b2b: A to B to C.

On the web site, the cabin I wanted was available on A to B. And on B to C. But not A to C. What!!??

My travel agent was able to solve the issue with Reservations and I got my desired cabin, A to C. When I asked my travel agent why they showed this on their web site, she had no good answer.

My suggestion would be to make your booking through a travel agent that knows what she/he is doing and not even bother with a Reservations agent at HAL. It will cost you nothing more to do so. And, it is possible you might receive some perks through that agency as well by placing your booking with them.

Thanks all for the info. I had previously booked a Lanai grty, as have several others on our Roll Call, on the 31 October 2014 Maasdam 42 day TransAtl. Simply from curiosity I was checking to see approximately how full the cruise would be, when I noticed the discrepancy in the numbers.

Yes, I think that is the case. I book with the Future Cruise Consultant while onboard and I have frequently run into the issue of cabins being "allocated" to certain segments of a longer journey or collectors voyages (B2Bs). I've always gotten what I wanted, but the FCC has to write Seattle and get the cabin "reallocated."

I once had a situation on the "old" web site where I wanted to book a b2b: A to B to C.

On the web site, the cabin I wanted was available on A to B. And on B to C. But not A to C. What!!??

My travel agent was able to solve the issue with Reservations and I got my desired cabin, A to C. When I asked my travel agent why they showed this on their web site, she had no good answer.

My suggestion would be to make your booking through a travel agent that knows what she/he is doing and not even bother with a Reservations agent at HAL. It will cost you nothing more to do so. And, it is possible you might receive some perks through that agency as well by placing your booking with them.

Agree. My TA had HAL take a cabin out of inventory and put it on my sailing so I could book it :D

You are absolutely right, just went thru this, making booking for 3 back to backs. Hal is notorious for doing this.

When booking segment cruises alot time the whole segment is available but not some of those shorter segments because they would rather book the longer cruises. Serendipity is right as it gets closer to the departure date, they open up all segments.

You are absolutely right, just went thru this, making booking for 3 back to backs. Hal is notorious for doing this.

When booking segment cruises alot time the whole segment is available but not some of those shorter segments because they would rather book the longer cruises. Serendipity is right as it gets closer to the departure date, they open up all segments.

And, they start switching cabins from one segment to the Collectors and back. Real "musical cabins". I've seen this so many times, it is quite fascinating to watch where each has migrated!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Several times over the years when I have checked HAL's site looking for cruises, I have not been able to get the same cabin for the Collectors Cruises.

So I just call our TA who calls HAL to get the pricing and book the same cabin for the Collectors Cruise -- if it available for both segments. Some times it is and some times it is not.

This is so true Krazy Kruiser - we quit using HAL or the old website for any reservations as it never seemed to add up or be what we could easily obtain thru our TA. Now the new website is not even useful for information on cabins so now we use other generic / all encompassing cruise websites.

Thanks all for the info. I had previously booked a Lanai grty, as have several others on our Roll Call, on the 31 October 2014 Maasdam 42 day TransAtl. Simply from curiosity I was checking to see approximately how full the cruise would be, when I noticed the discrepancy in the numbers.

The funny thing is, though, that the first half of our cruise is on sale on the "Labour Day Sale", but not the second half. Go figure!

Not familiar with HAL B2Bs. Other lines we have done, each leg is treated as a separate cruise. i.e. A to B in cabin X is one cruise and B to C in cabin X is the second cruise. Thus, you will be in cabin X for A to C.

Not familiar with HAL B2Bs. Other lines we have done, each leg is treated as a separate cruise. i.e. A to B in cabin X is one cruise and B to C in cabin X is the second cruise. Thus, you will be in cabin X for A to C.

HAL b2bs are considered Collector's Voyages and are thus booked as one cruise with only one booking number.

We have done back-to-back cruises on several cruise lines -- in fact our first cruises were a back-to-back on Cunard many, many years ago. Have also done them on Princess and NCL.

For years HAL had what you are talking about -- back-to-back cruises. You got 2 formations -- one for each segment. And if you booked early enough you were able to get the same cabin.

Then a few years ago HAL started to call a few back-to-back cruises "Collector Cruises". You get a small discount by booking this way -- only 1 confirmation. At first there were only a few cruises offered like this. They became so popular that HAL expanded and now you will find quite a Collector cruises offered.

HAL b2bs are considered Collector's Voyages and are thus booked as one cruise with only one booking number.

Not all HAL b-to-b's are Collectors.

Several times we booked b-to-b with two different confirmation numbers and four deposits - two for each of us.

Some time later, without consulting or even telling us, they changed those bookings to Collectors Cruise, gave us a small discount and as an aside we learned about it. :rolleyes: It always worked out alright for us but it may not have. I always preferred having two bookings in fcase we had to cancel one cruise, we would have the option of going on the other. It also was confusing as to how to book insurance.

Not all HAL b-to-b's are Collectors.

Several times we booked b-to-b with two different confirmation numbers and four deposits - two for each of us.

Some time later, without consulting or even telling us, they changed those bookings to Collectors Cruise, gave us a small discount and as an aside we learned about it. :rolleyes: It always worked out alright for us but it may not have. I always preferred having two bookings in fcase we had to cancel one cruise, we would have the option of going on the other. It also was confusing as to how to book insurance.

Thank you sail! I did not know this.

My experience with b2bs are limited.