Sodas Cost $3 On RCCL Ships?

Raxter54

Anybody who needs a "fix" of their favorite artificially carbonated, artificially colored, artificially flavored, artificially sweetened, artificially preserved city tap water - that has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer (among other illnesses) has much bigger problems than a $3 price tag.

But of course those who need a "fix" of their favorite alcoholic drink don't have a problem.

The discussion here is not about whether a soda is good for you or not. The discussion is why the cruise lines need to charge so much for a relatively cheap item.

The coke machine in our office is a quarter. You sir are being ripped off. :p

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

You're kidding me do you work for Coke.

The best I can get at a supermarket is about 0.50c, and that's on special, but I guess that's why I think $3 ain't too bad.

In the vending machine I use most often it's $1.30 and that's a good price at the pub last night $3.

The best I can get at a supermarket is about 0.50c, and that's on special, but I guess that's why I think $3 ain't too bad.

In the vending machine I use most often it's $1.30 and that's a good price at the pub last night $3.

Maybe you should shop at SAMs or Costco where the per can cost for pop is about 29 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote=damiross;44388126 Meals include a drink. My meals - and probably that of the vast majority of people - include a cold beverage such as a soda.

.)

I really doubt that. Do you have any evidence to show that the vast majority of people consume a soda with their meal? If you do, please post the reference.

This reference from USA would suggest otherwise -

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/11/water-americas-favorite-drink/1978959/

Are these statistics valid - I have no idea. However, you also have no idea whether your statement about soda consumption is valid.

DON

Maybe you should shop at SAMs or Costco where the per can cost for pop is about 29 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not not Coke or Pepsi where I am, sometimes about 40c if you are really lucky.

Office subsidies. At the market I stock up when 12 packs are around $3. That's a quarter a can. Be careful about diet, it has a shorter shelf life

Perhaps "inclusive" was a wrong word. I would say that cruises state how much cheaper they are than non-cruise vacation.

The cruise fare includes meals. Meals include a drink. My meals - and probably that of the vast majority of people - include a cold beverage such as a soda.

If I was to purchase a soda on-board would it include free refills? At most restaurants now if a soda is purchased then the refill is free.

(I'm planning on bringing my own soda on my cruise in any case. Princess offers only Coca Cola products and my drink of preference is Diet Dr. Pepper, not a Coca Cola produc.)

They sell it to you in a can, how do you refill that? No restaurant that serves products in a can offers free refill

I realize this soda package is pricey but for us it works.

Over the years we have purchased it all a family but more importantly for our now 19 y/o DD.

Kids will be kids, and we have a rule, if you put a drink down and dance or whatever it is gone.............you do not go back and drink from it, nor do you drink from a glass anyone gives you.

She takes a sip and leaves it.

Could you imagine how many sodas she would buy in a night:eek:

I know it is wasteful, but for a mom it is peace of mind.

At college I am not naive. I know she is able to "find" potent potables, and I know that glass will be empty with not a drop left in it when it is put down.........................................

Sea Ya

I just love the way cruise lines say it's an all-inclusive vacation yet they manage to bring in extra revenue through the nickel-and-dime route.
The cruise line doesn't advertise itself as an all-inclusive vacation; however, that idea is a rather common "urban myth", something that's repeated often enough that many people in the general public THINK it's true.

Perhaps "inclusive" was a wrong word. I would say that cruises state how much cheaper they are than non-cruise vacation.

The cruise fare includes meals. Meals include a drink. My meals - and probably that of the vast majority of people - include a cold beverage such as a soda.

If I was to purchase a soda on-board would it include free refills? At most restaurants now if a soda is purchased then the refill is free.

(I'm planning on bringing my own soda on my cruise in any case. Princess offers only Coca Cola products and my drink of preference is Diet Dr. Pepper, not a Coca Cola produc.)

I haven't seen cruise lines claiming to be cheaper than non-cruise vacations. It'd be a hard sell, given that it's not true. Cruising is generally one of our higher-priced vacations, and we tend to go for a pretty big variety.

Clarification: On a cruise, if you order a soda in a sit-down restaurant (MDR or other), you do get free refills during that meal. However, if you order a soda from the bar by the pool, it's a one-time pour. This is rather like land-based costs.

Bringing your own soda is a great way to save money, and you'll have no problem bringing a reasonable amount. I do suggest double-ziplocking your sodas just in case something were to happen to one of your cans in transit. It's unlikely but possible, and that small effort is worth the certainty that your clothing won't arrive wet.

The discussion here is not about whether a soda is good for you or not. The discussion is why the cruise lines need to charge so much for a relatively cheap item.
The answer is blatantly simple: BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Seriously, soda is an item for which people are willing to pay. It's a huge profit item for the ship. Sure, they could include it in the ticket price (Disney does), but that gives them a problem: If they add in the REAL COST of the soda, it'd be maybe $1 per person. On the other hand, if they add in the cost of the SODA PACKAGE, their ticket prices are no longer competitive against the other lines. For them, selling sodas later is a win-win.

I really doubt that. Do you have any evidence to show that the vast majority of people consume a soda with their meal? If you do, please post the reference.
The other poster didn't say most people drink soda with their meals. He said most people like a COLD BEVERAGE with their meals, soda being one example.

It wasn't a great argument for his point of view, but I have to agree that most people like cold drinks.

Office subsidies. At the market I stock up when 12 packs are around $3. That's a quarter a can. Be careful about diet, it has a shorter shelf life

Yes, I can find $3 for a 12-pack -- maybe not every day, but often enough that I consider that "a good price", and I'll buy two boxes.

Regardless, in the context of this conversation, it's important to note that when you buy a soda from the ship you're not buying JUST the soda: You're also paying for the person who purchased the sodas, the people who transported them to the ship, the cooler that brought them to a comfortable temperature, the person who served it to you, and the person who will wash the glass and clear away the trash.

In short, you're paying for the convenience of having a cold soda placed in front of you in the middle of the ocean. While I totally agree that bringing your own sale-purchased sodas is a good budget idea, it is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

I realize this soda package is pricey but for us it works.

Over the years we have purchased it all a family but more importantly for our now 19 y/o DD.

Kids will be kids, and we have a rule, if you put a drink down and dance or whatever it is gone.............you do not go back and drink from it, nor do you drink from a glass anyone gives you.

She takes a sip and leaves it.

Could you imagine how many sodas she would buy in a night:eek:

I know it is wasteful, but for a mom it is peace of mind.

At college I am not naive. I know she is able to "find" potent potables, and I know that glass will be empty with not a drop left in it when it is put down.........................................

Sea Ya

In my mind, this is the only reason to buy the soda package -- and it's an argument that mainly applies to teens. I lecture my girls on this very topic, and I tell them they may ONLY accept drinks from staff members.

Clarification: On a cruise, if you order a soda in a sit-down restaurant (MDR or other), you do get free refills during that meal. However, if you order a soda from the bar by the pool, it's a one-time pour. This is rather like land-based costs.

Anytime I have ordered a soda in the MDR, it was brought to me in a can, thus no refills. The only time I had a glass was when the waiter mistakenly thought I had the soda package.

Anytime I have ordered a soda in the MDR, it was brought to me in a can, thus no refills. The only time I had a glass was when the waiter mistakenly thought I had the soda package.
My experience has been that pretty much all sodas onboard are (cheaper) fountain sodas. If you ASK for a can, they'll bring you a can, but only if you ask.

My experience has been that pretty much all sodas onboard are (cheaper) fountain sodas. If you ASK for a can, they'll bring you a can, but only if you ask.

My experience has been that I never asked for a can, that is what they brought.:) Like I said, waiter brought a glass when he thought I had the package and yes, the package soda is the cheaper soda.

My comments on some questions and comments posted above.

• I base my comments about more people drinking soft drinks rather than wine on my own experience. Perhaps it's the types of non-fastfood restaurants I usually go to (diners, family style, etc) but it seems like more people drink soft drinks rather than alcohol.
  • I plan on buying my sodas the day before or the day of the cruise. It's only a 4 day cruise and, with my average being 1 or 2 24-oz bottles of Diet Dr Pepper a day, a six pack is more than enough.
  • I did a quick research of wholesale Coca Cola prices on the Internet. The cost is about 35 to 40 cents per 12-oz can.

While prices wholesale and in supermarkets is interesting [especially how klow you can get it for in some places] the real comparison has to be what you pay in a Bar or Restaurant.

And most things on ship are more expensive for two main reasons:

1. They have a captive market

2. They have to carry enough stock for the length of the cruise, not like a bar where they might get multiple deliveries a week.