Sodas Cost $3 On RCCL Ships?

Raxter54

Mt wife and I are going on our first cruise in February (Serenade of the Seas). I noticed that RCCL says that iced tea, lemonade, and water is free, but soda cost $3. Why is there an extra charge for soda? Is this a logistics thing, or just a way to get a few extra bucks off the passengers? Just curious...

Edited by Raxter54

Mt wife and I are going on our first cruise in February (Serenade of the Seas). I noticed that RCCL says that iced tea, lemonade, and water is free, but soda cost $3. Why is there an extra charge for soda? Is this a logistics thing, or jst a way to get a few extra bucks off the passengers? Just curious...

All mass market cruise lines charge for soda. You can either pay by the glass or buy an unlimited soda package.

And....

Royal Caribbean does NOT let you bring your own soft drinks onboard. One of the reasons I cruise Princess....I can bring my own on board if I don't like what they offer..

Many people posted here that they didn't have any problems bringing their own soda onboard:

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057452

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43599594

Have you been to a hotel lately, and noticed what they charge for a soda out of a machine? It's right on par, coastwise! $2.88, and that includes a 15% tip, since someone has to HAND it to you...no soda machines!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Mt wife and I are going on our first cruise in February (Serenade of the Seas). I noticed that RCCL says that iced tea, lemonade, and water is free, but soda cost $3...

There are many complimentary beverages available in the food venues. Coffee, tea, flavored waters, and milk (white and chocolate) are also available with meals. It's up to you on the soda, but as stated, other lines do it too. It's not unique to RCI.

Serenade is a phenomenal ship. She is beautiful. Please try not to be bummed out about possible extra charges and being nickle-and-dimed (if that's what you were thinking). You can board the ship and have a great cruise and actually not spend a dime (assuming your gratuities were pre-paid before you left home). Your final bill will be as large or small as you determine. ;)

I checked Royal Caribbean's website before I posted. Their policy is still NO....

Indeed, but I think the point was made that it doesn't stop people from bringing, or trying to bring their own soda onboard.

Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu charges $3.25 for a 12 ounce can of soda from a vending machine.

No straw, no ice, no glass, no napkin, no lime, no smile.

Hyatt Hotel on Grand Cayman charges $3.50 for a 12 ounce can of soda from a vending machine.

No straw, no ice, no glass, no napkin, no lime, no smile.

Mt wife and I are going on our first cruise in February (Serenade of the Seas). I noticed that RCCL says that iced tea, lemonade, and water is free, but soda cost $3. Why is there an extra charge for soda? Is this a logistics thing, or just a way to get a few extra bucks off the passengers? Just curious...

with the exception of Disney all cruise lines charge extra for soda. they also all have some form of package where you pay one price per day and get unlimited drinks.. some are non alcoholic packages( all the fountain soda you could rot your teeth with) and others also have options for specialty coffees and alcoholic drinks.

any of these items will also include a 15% gratuity automatically( the packages that is built into the price)

every line has a cut off point where the package is a better deal. it may be as little as five sodas per day. me, personally might drink 5 sodas in a 6 month period, so I never pay attention

And....

Royal Caribbean does NOT let you bring your own soft drinks onboard. One of the reasons I cruise Princess....I can bring my own on board if I don't like what they offer..

honestly the only time this is consistently enforced is Spring Break time.

the larger ships with the Coke Freestyle machines can be a blast. you jsuthave to buy the mug with the chip.

Thanks for the information. Seems like it's just another hand in the passenger's pocket. RCCL charges $6.50 a day for their soda package. Question is whether my wife can go 7 days without her Dr Pepper fix...

I doubt they have Dr Pepper available on board. Warn her, no Dr Pepper.

That is usually not one of the soda products available.

The price for the soda is the same as anything else they "sell" on board. A 12 oz can of beer is about $5. We all know they are not paying anywhere near $30 a six pack. And cruise lines are not the only ones.

My wife was just in New Orleans staying at a nicer hotel. She ordered room service, coffee and oatmeal, $25.95. They charge this price because people will pay it. I wouldn't, but I do pay $5 for a beer on the ship!!! I take DW because the oatmeal is free:D

Thanks for the information. Seems like it's just another hand in the passenger's pocket. RCCL charges $6.50 a day for their soda package. Question is whether my wife can go 7 days without her Dr Pepper fix...

Check with the cruise line as she may be able to bring her own Dr. Pepper with her. Not to drink the in the dining room but can be drank elsewhere.

The price for the soda is the same as anything else they "sell" on board. A 12 oz can of beer is about $5. We all know they are not paying anywhere near $30 a six pack. And cruise lines are not the only ones.

My wife was just in New Orleans staying at a nicer hotel. She ordered room service, coffee and oatmeal, $25.95. They charge this price because people will pay it. I wouldn't, but I do pay $5 for a beer on the ship!!! I take DW because the oatmeal is free:D

Hotels overcharge business travelers for room service because the employer usually pays it, doesn't cost the guest anything:p

Does sheeey neee da ghhooooooowwww peeee?

Edited by Jono 70