Celebrity Vs River Cruising

mcrcruiser

What with Celebrity price increases ,they are getting a lot closer to river cruise prices . That being said .what do you think & prefer ?

Interesting that you posted this question. DH & I are searching for 2015 cruise but the E&W Med port itineraries are repeats. Iberian peninsula dates do not work (as we work). X is increasing its $ (everything is going up)and some of this can be blamed on exchange rates.

We had a fascinating Baltic cruise in June on the Eclipse but we noticed cutbacks (short staffing in Blu)and a lot more nickle & dimming-but this buy this than on prior X cruises.

That being said river cruises are mainly all inclusive- tips, internet,shorex,wine,transfers. While you pay upfront on a river cruise ( we are investigating Tauck & AMA)once aboard there are no extras ( except for spa and things of that nature).

The + of X are multiple venues for dinning, drinking, entertainment. Large balconies,room service.Huge beautiful ships.

The - of X are pay for everything starting with mandatory tips ( before I get flamed we do tip and frequently re tip for good service) Shorex are either via ship or DIY. While we usually do DIY shorex when calculating value of a cruise there is the hassle factor of research, forming groups and self booking.

River cruises ( see above comments)Shorex are included but these are usually group tours.There is always the possibility of bad weather making the cruise portion into a bus portion.

That being said we are interested in what you & other have to say.

Carole

This is as big an "apples and oranges" comparison as any. We love both but they are totally different.

River cruising is a very intimate experience with generally 150 to 190 passengers so you have an easy time meeting people. By the same token, it is difficult avoiding people you may not be fond of. The food was very good on our AMA Danube cruise and local in flavor. They pay such great attention to detail in that the CD knows who you are and helps sort out the smallest issues. You pull into the center of most towns and can just walk off the ship. Each port has a free tour that gives you a flavor for that particular town and you then have free time to explore. There is almost NO nightlife except for cocktails, an occasional group brought on board, and a piano player/singer. The cabins are smaller for the most part but could not be better arranged. We had less difficulty with our small river cabin than we did with our large Oceania cabin. You are never out of sight of land so there is always something to see. Free albeit slow wi-fi was nice but too slow to Skype. At 60, I was the kid on board. Our shipmates where well traveled and very interesting and we got to know many of them.

What can I say about ocean cruising? Lots of people and lots of food. Entertainment non-stop. Crowds and lines. Impersonal but friendly service. Lots of activities almost to the point of being frenetic. Lots of shops. Big ship with lots of walking to get where you want. Dining options.

As you can see, very different. We love both and I would say that you should try a river cruise for the experience if my description appeals to you.

Have done both. Many ocean cruises on many lines including Celebrity. We had heard so many positives about river cruising we dicided to give it a try. In a word we were underwhelmed. We cruised with Avalon which gets high marks. The itinerary was Amsterdam to Vienna. The shore excursions were frankly boring and repetitious. Would get off ship, meet guide , tour the port which always had the local Cathedral as the highlight. The tours were in the morning and in the afternoon sometimes there were optional tours $$. The scenery cruising down the river was beautiful. The ships of course are quite small so very few amenities. Getting a large balcony stateroom really is useless as you will be docked with many other ships side by side and have to walk through these ships to go ashore. One seating for dinner and people started lining up 30 mins ahead of time. It was like a cattle call. Food was adequate at best. The wine did flow though which helped. The cost is quite substantial for what you get many people will disagree with this but that is how we feel. one and done. Will do land tours to see and spend more time on our own.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are avid ocean cruisers and just got off an Avalon river cruise for Passau to Basel and I would say that it was WONDERFUL!! I would highly recommend a river cruise to anyone/everyone!!

But, as bpsman says, it is apples and oranges. Big vs small. You just can't have all the amenities on a small ship as you can on a large one. We did have nice entertainment in the evenings, but it wasn't a broadway show...more like local talent.....but still fun. You can't fit a skating rink or a rock climbing wall on a ship that holds 120 passengers, but you will meet everyone and create friendships that last beyond the cruise!

We never double docked and found the service to be more personal and MUCH superior to anything you can find on an ocean cruise. Will we stop ocean cruising, no....but we now know the differences. As with cruiseline preferences, everyone is different. It is nice to know that choices are out there. Pick what YOU like and forget the opinions of others.

Happy cruising!!!!

My wife & I have been on 8 European river cruise & one Mississippi river cruise & 90 ocean cruises. they all all great but different . River cruises usually cost more but have included tours/ Our 100th cruise will be a 23 night cruise from San Francisco to Sydney, Austrailia

Closing in on 60 ocean cruises, we are starting to lean more toward river cruising. We cruise for destinations, not the ship (don't really care one way or the other as long as it meets our general needs). Ocean cruises are limited in the ports they can visit and we are pretty much out of them. Haven't done the Caribbean for years and have no desire to return so we are pretty limited. Since river cruises travel (generally) to completely different destinations, there is the appeal.

Added to the fact of the rapidly rising prices of ocean cruises to anywhere interesting, and the field is quickly leveled.

We have been looking at river cruises, but are wary of the river cruise for $1000 per night that turns into a bus trip. Our neighbors just returned from a Viking cruise in late August that was the first river cruise on Viking this year that spent the entire time on the river, not a bus. This was Amsterdam to Budapest. We have taken bus trips to see places that can't be seen on a cruise, but the price was much less than a river cruise. We are still looking!

We have been looking at river cruises, but are wary of the river cruise for $1000 per night that turns into a bus trip. Our neighbors just returned from a Viking cruise in late August that was the first river cruise on Viking this year that spent the entire time on the river, not a bus. This was Amsterdam to Budapest. We have taken bus trips to see places that can't be seen on a cruise, but the price was much less than a river cruise. We are still looking!

One thing to remember is that the Europe's rivers are very susceptible to the weather as they are quite shallow. Too much rain and you can't get under the bridges and too little rain makes the river unnavigatable.

While I understand the disappointment people have with a river cruise turning into a bus trip, the cruise lines have no control over that at all.....they are just trying to salvage your vacation. Don't blame the cruiseline.....blame Mother Nature (and buy insurance!!!!)

This is as big an "apples and oranges" comparison as any. We love both but they are totally different.

River cruising is a very intimate experience with generally 150 to 190 passengers so you have an easy time meeting people. By the same token, it is difficult avoiding people you may not be fond of. The food was very good on our AMA Danube cruise and local in flavor. They pay such great attention to detail in that the CD knows who you are and helps sort out the smallest issues. You pull into the center of most towns and can just walk off the ship. Each port has a free tour that gives you a flavor for that particular town and you then have free time to explore. There is almost NO nightlife except for cocktails, an occasional group brought on board, and a piano player/singer. The cabins are smaller for the most part but could not be better arranged. We had less difficulty with our small river cabin than we did with our large Oceania cabin. You are never out of sight of land so there is always something to see. Free albeit slow wi-fi was nice but too slow to Skype. At 60, I was the kid on board. Our shipmates where well traveled and very interesting and we got to know many of them.

What can I say about ocean cruising? Lots of people and lots of food. Entertainment non-stop. Crowds and lines. Impersonal but friendly service. Lots of activities almost to the point of being frenetic. Lots of shops. Big ship with lots of walking to get where you want. Dining options.

As you can see, very different. We love both and I would say that you should try a river cruise for the experience if my description appeals to you.

This is well stated, We took Viking Bragi from Budapest to Amsterdam and loved every single minute. It was a long trip and we spent three extra days in Budapest prior to the cruise and two days in Amsterdam following the cruise. There are many shorter European riverboat itineraries but when you consider airfares, we felt this was the best deal for us and to see as much as possible. As previously stated, one cannot really compare a riverboat cruise with a cruise ship trip. A riverboat cruise is just so unique and service is beyond compare. :)

Great Points, thanks..... I don't think I am ready for the river cruise yet, but your points are great for anyone who is considering one.

A good friend of my husband just told him recently that he did not like his European river cruise. He said it was looking at trees all day long, and nothing much else to do.

He likes to keep busy, so it's not a cruising style for him, obvisously.

Living here on the west coast ocean cruises by the good lines is very limited .

Viking has recently created a ocean cruise ships liking to Azamara ;but slightly larger .They have very interesting itineraries . We intend to give them a try ;)

I've always thought of river cruises as ridiculously overpriced. Their milk run of Amsterdam to Basel is under an 8 hour drive. So easy to do on your own at your own pace. Don't want to drive, take the train. There are day trips on the Rhine for the most scenic points.

A coworker did a Viking cruise last year and was very disappointed that a lot of shops were closed when they were docked. I think I'd have to be 80 and infirm before taking one.

To each his own.....I am under 60 and in excellent health and was thoroughly thrilled with our river cruise. Yes, there is a different feel/vibe and the activities are more sightseeing than exhilarating. Nights are quiet, with local entertainment, but you are limited by space.

BUT, we were never run over, never stood in line, had great service, never waited for an elevator, never found chair hogs, always had a seat at the nightly "show" and everyone knew our names and preferences.

It is big vs small. It's your money, spend it where you will enjoy yourself!!!

We took an Ama waterways Danube cruise in July and the cost for our cabin for 7 days was double for what we are paying for a 10 day Med so I don't see where the pricing is similar.

While we are glad we tried it I much prefer the larger ships. Pre sailing. I looked to see what other river cruises we would want to do. Post sailing perhaps we will only do one more

Cruise Junky, the same can be said of ocean cruising. I had no idea how close the islands of the Caribbean were until I went to the top of the mountain of Tortola. Our guide pointed out all of the islands to us and I had to wonder why we had a sea day 2 islands that were 20 miles apart. Could have almost done our itinerary faster in a row boat. It is the experience and not the distance that makes river cruising popular. We traveled mainly at night on our Budapest to Nuremburg cruise as the locks operate at night. The same is not true on other rivers and they travel during the daytime. Shops can also be closed in port on ocean cruises and this is not limited to river cruising. We sailed on AMA because of the weak reviews of Viking when we traveled but their fleet was older at the time and may be a reason why Viking did not appeal to those who sailed them. River cruising is not for everyone but we loved it just as we do ocean cruising. Can't wait to go again.

We love both river cruising and ocean cruising for very different reasons. But you cannot compare the two. You should compare river cruising to overland touring. Unpack once, and enjoy the scenery between stops. Would you experience shows, gambling, etc on an overland tour? Probably not. If you have never been to Europe it is the best way to see it. Very relaxing and the food is much much better than ocean cruises. But again, it will depend on which line you choose. And like ocean cruise lines, river cruise lines are each very different, inclusions, demographics, etc. Do your research. However, my favorite is river cruising, but I am not a late night person.

Having done both, do not compare based on price. Riverboat cruising is not like ocean cruises. Riverboats are more like a land tour. Instead of being on a bus during the day and sleeping in a hotel at night, you sleep on the riverboat. Nice if you hate moving from hotel to hotel. Riverboats also have drawbacks. If the water level is too high or low, you may not be able to cruise on the river. River oats are much smaller than oceanliners. Food choices are limited. No room service. Entertainment is minimal. Riverboats may have a piano player and local entertainment. Riverboats are usually quiet. Riverboats include many things that cost extra on the big ships. The included tours are usually segregated by walking pace. I love the slow walkers. Ocean cruisers provide more entertainment and lots of eating options. Excursions are an extra cost. I enjoy both depending upon location. In Europe, riverboats can be a good way to see the sights. Big cruise ships cannot access many places...and often force you to travel inland to see the sights. You can take a lot of time on shuttles. I do not really like big ship cruises in Europe. Big ships are wonderful in the Caribbean. Decide what you really vale. Do you want to explore local sights or do you love the the big ship luxuries? Do not compare based on price alone? Each traveler is different. What works for me may not be for you.

We just did a Viking River Cruise, Paris to Normandy, and then a Viking post-cruise trip to England. It was beyond wonderful! The scenery was beautiful. The service and friendliness of the crew were the best I've ever seen. The food was magnificent, and at dinner the wine was included in the cruise price. Every day we were in a different port, except for an overnight in Paris and an overnight in Rouen. We found all the included shore excursions very interesting. Viking took such good care of us, even to the point of having a rep at the airport when we departed to make sure we had no problems and got through security OK! Every evening during the cruise the CD had a briefing for us to let us know what to expect the following day. Even our post-cruise tour was amazing. We didn't miss late night entertainment on the ship because our days in port were so active and busy that we were exhausted! There was a good piano player in the lounge for those who wanted entertainment after dinner. The ship was small, and we really got to know lots of people pretty well. The ONLY downside was the price of the flight.

That being said, we also love ocean cruising. Our choice would be to do both river cruising and ocean cruising if we can afford it!