Wharf extension OPT

Just received my ticket booklet for our upcoming Radiance cruise in Feb. Says boarding is between 11am and 3pm yet the ship isn't scheduled to depart until 6:30pm. I know some ships have been leaving a little earlier this year (around 5pm). Also terms and conditions all say passengers must be on board 90mins before departure, which is 5pm) and coupled with the fact that you can no longer leave the ship on boarding day why would the 3pm cut off be specified?

Also you have muster drill before leaving too. They always have a fudge factor, and as Gut said, they don't want everyone there at the last minute.

We like to get around the ship and take photos while the spaces are all tidy and clear. :)

If you imagine you are in charge of getting 2500+ people on a ship, then ensuring they all attend a safety drill prior to the ship leaving, a 2-3 hour buffer doesn't seem that much.

Add to that the time it takes for all the luggage to be loaded, especially if people turn up late in the day.

If I had that many people to organise I certainly wouldn't let anyone off once on board, it's like you get to tick one more potential problem off your list & then have to start over if they get off! What a nightmare. :eek:

Personally I like to get on board asap. being Diamond allows us to do that due to priority boarding. This is day 1 on board, I'm here to go on a cruise not go shopping or sight seeing in Sydney. If I want to do that I would arrive a few days earlier or do it after my cruise. :)

believe from reports I've had that it's pretty much back to normal, but I'm sure you'll get a better answer with specifics, s there anything in particular?

Just saw my spelling - my phone changes my words

I wanted to know if the drop off is at the same place, can i be dropped off at the wharf and then to go upstairs to check in.

Do you know if George St is closed at the Circular Quay end

cruise Love

If you imagine you are in charge of getting 2500+ people on a ship, then ensuring they all attend a safety drill prior to the ship leaving, a 2-3 hour buffer doesn't seem that much.

Add to that the time it takes for all the luggage to be loaded, especially if people turn up late in the day.

If I had that many people to organise I certainly wouldn't let anyone off once on board, it's like you get to tick one more potential problem off your list & then have to start over if they get off! What a nightmare. :eek:

Personally I like to get on board asap. being Diamond allows us to do that due to priority boarding. This is day 1 on board, I'm here to go on a cruise not go shopping or sight seeing in Sydney. If I want to do that I would arrive a few days earlier or do it after my cruise. :)

I know we are all different and all want different things from a cruise, but I just don't get the wanting to get off after you board, if I want to have a look around before departure I drop my bags have a look and board a bit later, I do wish that there was a facility to leave my luggage after disembark and pick it up later in the day, [sort of reverse of embarking] but there mustn't be a big demand for that or someone would offer such a service, either the line, the post or a private enterprise.

Just saw my spelling - my phone changes my words

Don't you hate that. The keyboard on my computer is shot and the "I" key often doesn't work and on some words spell check does nothing about it.

I wanted to know if the drop off is at the same place, can i be dropped off at the wharf and then to go upstairs to check in.

I find t easier to be dropped in George street, near the carpark and walk down but I'm pretty certain that you can be dropped right at the entrance to the OPT.

Do you know if George St is closed at the Circular Quay end

I'm not sure where you mean, there was some road work going on in George Street where it passes under the rail line but it only meant a stop-go man and you could still get through, in fact last week it looked like the work was finished.

George Street will always be closed at the corner of Hickson Road on a Sunday, for the Rocks Markets, but you just go down Hickson then.

cruise Love

Enjoy your cruise.

I know we are all different and all want different things from a cruise, but I just don't get the wanting to get off after you board,

Aside from the examples given earlier of groups with different commitments - not everyone just travels as a couple - there's convenience and last minute emergencies. Last cruise someone realised they needed an adapter, and I can imagine that happens a lot. I suggested they just go ashore and buy one, which they hadn't realised they could.

Glad they did, as when the shop opened that evening, adapters sold out within less than half an hour. Plus if you need it before then, you couldn't get it as the shop opens later in the evening.

Another example was a contact lens container left behind. The shop didn't even sell contact lens containers or fluids.

If people forget major stuff like passports often enough, imagine all the little things that people forget...

Aside from the examples given earlier of groups with different commitments - not everyone just travels as a couple - there's convenience and last minute emergencies. Last cruise someone realised they needed an adapter, and I can imagine that happens a lot. I suggested they just go ashore and buy one, which they hadn't realised they could.

Glad they did, as when the shop opened that evening, adapters sold out within less than half an hour. Plus if you need it before then, you couldn't get it as the shop opens later in the evening.

Another example was a contact lens container left behind. The shop didn't even sell contact lens containers or fluids.

If people forget major stuff like passports often enough, imagine all the little things that people forget...

I can accept that.

Just I wouldn't be likely to realise until after we'd left anyway:D.

Don't you hate that. The keyboard on my computer is shot and the "I" key often doesn't work and on some words spell check does nothing about it.

I find t easier to be dropped in George street, near the carpark and walk down but I'm pretty certain that you can be dropped right at the entrance to the OPT.

I'm not sure where you mean, there was some road work going on in George Street where it passes under the rail line but it only meant a stop-go man and you could still get through, in fact last week it looked like the work was finished.

George Street will always be closed at the corner of Hickson Road on a Sunday, for the Rocks Markets, but you just go down Hickson then.

Enjoy your cruise.

We drove past the Quay last Thursday. George St was completely closed off. They were not allowing any traffic through. They had signs advising motorists driving across the Anzac Bridge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We drove past the Quay last Thursday. George St was completely closed off. They were not allowing any traffic through. They had signs advising motorists driving across the Anzac Bridge.

It was closed for some of the work [i think light rail] but only short term. I'm not sure if that was Thursday but I'd suggest checking with Mair Road, or whatever they call themselves this week.

Various parts of Sydney cbd roads including George and Pitt sts have been closed this month causing major traffic snarls.

This is all preliminary work for the new light rail network that will go from Circular Quay all the way down George St to Central Station and beyond to Moore Park. Construction is supposed to start after Anzac Day and completed by 2020.

I believe that tomorrow sees the last day of the preliminary road closures.

George st will become a pedestrian mall (like Pitt st) from Bathurst St to Hunter St with trams (light rail) going down the middle of the street.

I guess we will see lots more road closures next season.:eek:

Hugh

It was closed for some of the work [i think light rail] but only short term. I'm not sure if that was Thursday but I'd suggest checking with Mair Road, or whatever they call themselves this week.

George St was open for business down through the Rocks this morning. Coming in on my bus to work (work on Bridge St) it was all good, no pesky detours.

Thanks for the link, excellent news for Sydney, light rail to replace car traffic is the way forward. I wish some other cities would implement similar plans as well.:D

Thanks for the link, excellent news for Sydney, light rail to replace car traffic is the way forward. I wish some other cities would implement similar plans as well.:D

I just wish they would accept cards for the fare. At the moment they only accept cash.

I just wish they would accept cards for the fare. At the moment they only accept cash.

I suspect it will eventually need something like Opal, a real pain for out of towners who have to get some new form of payment in every place they visit.

I suspect it will eventually need something like Opal, a real pain for out of towners who have to get some new form of payment in every place they visit.

I dont want no "light rail" No what we should all want is a "FAST TRACK" to the Ship :p

Not a one legged hopping contest on a square red dot

14 more sleeps until we go "In search of Graham" ......:rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm :o

Best Regards

John

Yes, you end up with all these useless cards (Opal, Myki, etc) at home with little bits of money on them that expire before you can use them again.:(

I dont want no "light rail" No what we should all want is a "FAST TRACK" to the Ship :p

Not a one legged hopping contest on a square red dot

14 more sleeps until we go "In search of Graham" ......:rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm :o

Best Regards

John

G'day John

Enjoy

When you find Graham say G'day from us.

And if he checks you in you don't need no red bit of rag, you will get great service, want him everytime now, even when I'm on Princess or who ever

Yes, you end up with all these useless cards (Opal, Myki, etc) at home with little bits of money on them that expire before you can use them again.:(

Hopefully eventually they'll sort it out and one card will work anywhere in Aus, a bit like when they first introduced Toll Tags. I still get a bit antsy that I've got $40 sitting there for a trip to Sydney once in a pink fit, must have a fair bit sitting on train and bus cards that never get used and then when I want to jump on a bus I haven't got the rotten thing with me.

G'day John

Enjoy

When you find Graham say G'day from us

And if he checks you in you don't need no red bit of rag, you will get great service, want him everytime now, even when I'm on Princess or who ever

I sure will say hello , and I know who ever checks us in will do a great job .. no doubt about it

BUT its nice to stir the pot :D

Hmmm is that a square red dot I see or has blood just soaked into the floor in the OPT :D

regards

John

I sure will say hello , and I know who ever checks us in will do a great job .. no doubt about it

BUT its nice to stir the pot :D

Hmmm is that a square red dot I see or has blood just soaked into the floor in the OPT :D

regards

John

Are you special enough for the carpet but.

I am going on the Solstice next Sunday. Can any one tell me if tge opt is operating as normal or ate there any changes thait I need to know

Cruise love

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forums mobile app

The first stage of the OPT upgrade is basically complete and apart from the luggage drop off still outside, up near the big tree, which is where it was for the "big"ships prior to the upgrade, everything is back to normal........ no.... It is actually better as the new " marshalling area, inside the the building, is air conditioned and has lots of space and provides a much more comfortable area for guests to wait till they go upstairs for check in.

The road closures along George Street are now over and there is no real access problem for vehicles dropping off apart from maybe the smaller drop off area which will remain until the end of Feb/March until stage two, the forcourt area, will be finished.