Mom traveling with son, need a letter from dad?

Cruizlovers

My daughter is traveling with her 8 year-old son on a cruise in November. She has a passport he has passport card. Does anyone know if she needs a letter from the father to take the son on this cruise? There is no divorce or conflict here just don't want any last-minute surprises at the pier. Thanks in advance!

My daughter is traveling with her 8 year-old son on a cruise in November. She has a passport he has passport card. Does anyone know if she needs a letter from the father to take the son on this cruise? There is no divorce or conflict here just don't want any last-minute surprises at the pier. Thanks in advance!

I've heard anecdotal stories about people having trouble and the letter would seem to smooth things out. Usually when you hear the story a divorce is part of the scenario, but how would the cruise line know? A simple note seems simple enough to obtain and while probably not needed, I think I'd rather have it. Here is a link with some info.

http://travelwithkids.about.com/cs/carplanetips/a/crossborders.htm

Yes she did but they said she needs nothing. Obviously, you need to be responsible and make sure the info you receive is correct. The link that was provided (thank you) says otherwise. We will be getting a letter to avoid any delays at the pier.

Yes she did but they said she needs nothing. Obviously, you need to be responsible and make sure the info you receive is correct. The link that was provided (thank you) says otherwise. We will be getting a letter to avoid any delays at the pier.

Even if it ends up not being needed, the peace of mind that it gives will make it worth while.

Even if it ends up not being needed, the peace of mind that it gives will make it worth while.

Exactly. I fly every couple of months with a show cat. The airlines require a rabies certificate and a health certificate. In nearly 30 years, I've been asked to show them maybe 4-5 times. Do I still carry them? You bet.

My husband doesn't cruise with us, and my daughter and I have cruised Caribbean, Mediterranean, and Europe without any question. I have never seen in cruise documentation any reference to permission letters.

My husband did have to participate in getting my daughter's passport. From that point, she has legal documentation to travel and that has been all that was needed.

My son and I have been on 3 cruises so far together without my husband (his father).

He was 11 and 15 for the first two.

I always brought his letter of consent to take our son out of the country with me.

Once they asked for it, once they did not. I always had it notified just to be safe.

Isn't it better to have it and not be asked, then to not have it and be asked?

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Just went through this in August. As long as they both have the same last name on their passports she will not be questioned. If she holds a different last name as her son she will then need a notarized letter from the boys father giving her permission to travel alone with him and for her to make any medical discussions God forbid something should happen.

Just went through this in August. As long as they both have the same last name on their passports she will not be questioned. If she holds a different last name as her son she will then need a notarized letter from the boys father giving her permission to travel alone with him and for her to make any medical discussions God forbid something should happen.

Again, this is not always the case. I have a different last name than my sons, and we travel together without their father (my ex). Even when married and with the same last name, I always got a letter of permission to travel. I always have him get it notarized as well. Yet I have not been asked for it on any cruise, regardless of last name.

However, the only time anyone asked about it was at the NY/Canadian border long before we were divorced. The border guard asked them who I was, where their father was, why he was not with us. I had the letter and presented it to them.

I just sailed on Freedom with my boys in August. Again got the letter, no one asked. But I always get it because I believe better safe than sorry.

Edited by njmomof2

Yes I think better safe than sorry applies here. She is getting the letter and will keep it with her. If you go on the US Border website they also recommend getting a letter due to parental abductions and other unsavory things. Thanks to all who responded!

My DD was a single parent adoption, so there is no other legal parent to consent. That being said, I bring her birth certificate and adoption decree every time we travel, along with her passport.

No one has ever asked for either, not on eight cruises, a trip to Singapore, nor a trip to Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband did have to participate in getting my daughter's passport. From that point, she has legal documentation to travel and that has been all that was needed.

And that's all well and good, until a spouse freaks out, decides to leave and go live in some other country, and bring the kid with them. Of course the spouse will say that it's all fine, the other spouse knows.

They should ask for documentation. That link shows they don't; says if the last name is different, bring a BC that shows the connection. But gosh. They should ask for it. If I were cruising with DS without DH, I'd bring a notarized document. I wouldn't expect for anyone to ask for it, but I'd bring it!

OK...so here's a curve ball.

My parents have temporary custody of my nephew (their grandson) for a year while my brother is deployed. He will be coming along on our cruise. His mother (my brother's ex) is in the picture, but not in the picture. Getting a notarized letter from her may be like asking her to part the Red Sea. It's not that she wouldn't let him go, but I just know it will be impossible to get that letter. As it stands now, getting the passport is going to be a feat of epic proportions! That being said, I always thought BOTH parents had to sign the letter if their child was going out of the country without either of them or ONE had to sign if the other was taking the child away. According to Royal's own site, that isn't the case. Since my nephew has my brother's last name, which is also my parent's last name as well, I think just a notarized letter from my brother and my nephew's passport should be fine if I'm reading the requirement correctly. Anyone??

I don't know- You'll have to look into the legal mattet. Ask your cruise line. I'm cruising with my six-year-old in Feb. I'll bring such a letter from my wife. In addition to the letter I'll bring a legal proof of relationship since my daughter has a different surname than her parents.

My parents have temporary custody of my nephew (their grandson) for a year while my brother is deployed. He will be coming along on our cruise. His mother (my brother's ex) is in the picture, but not in the picture. Getting a notarized letter from her may be like asking her to part the Red Sea. It's not that she wouldn't let him go, but I just know it will be impossible to get that letter. As it stands now, getting the passport is going to be a feat of epic proportions! That being said, I always thought BOTH parents had to sign the letter if their child was going out of the country without either of them or ONE had to sign if the other was taking the child away. According to Royal's own site, that isn't the case. Since my nephew has my brother's last name, which is also my parent's last name as well, I think just a notarized letter from my brother and my nephew's passport should be fine if I'm reading the requirement correctly. Anyone??

I would also cross post this on the family forum, as these types of questions come up more frequently...

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Maybaybie10,

I think your nephew should be fine with the notarized letter from his father. Make sure he makes mention of his current deployment and has given his permission for his son to be taken out of the country by his grandparents.

It may also be a good idea to bring their proof of custody as well.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Instead of asking questions here about what is, and what is not required, anyone with questions should go to the CBP website and do research there. RCI has no requirement at all to have a signed letter from anyone, unless you are traveling with someone other than your own child. It is a CBP suggestion to have a signed letter, preferably notarized, from the other parent, divorced or not, to prevent you from being detained at the pier until circumstances can be assessed. The following is from the CBP website

While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

Adults traveling with children should also be aware that, while the U.S. does not require this documentation, many other countries do; failure to produce notarized permission letters and/or birth certificates could result in travelers being refused entry (Canada has very strict requirements in this regard)

I just returned from a cruise with my daughter. I had a notarized letter from my wife, just incase. No one ever asked for it. The only reason I got a letter is because of what I've read here. My sister-in-law travels all over the world with my 16 year old nephew, because he fences internationally. My brother-in-law does not always accompany them, as far as I know she doesn't carry a letter with her. Now they travel by air, but why would that be any different. I don't think CBP even cares unless they have reason to suspect something. There are plenty of moms and dads who take their kids on vacation by themselves, with no letter, and no one has ever been asked for one. I took one just incase. If I ever cruised again with one of my kids, and my wife did not accompany us I doubt I'd get one again, unless the country we were going to required it. The U.S. does NOT require it.

On a side note, the passport card is only good for travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

Aft Cabins Rule

I would recommend bringing along a copy of the custody papers, along with EVERYTHING Else. Better to have too much than not enough.

I'm a single parent and have sole legal custody of my child. We have travelled to Europe and cruised, Caribbean and Alaska, a couple times a year for the last 8 years. He's now 11. I've never been asked for anything, but will always carry for that one time that someone may ask. In today's world, I would welcome someone asking me for documentation. Our children are precious and we must protect them above all else.