Older Grand Class Ships

Shogun

Big may not be better but the days of the smaller ships are over. In order to maintain costs and economy of scale the big ship just make too much financial sense for the main stream cruise lines.

The smaller ship experience will be relegated to the higher end cruise lines and the economy cruise lines. Take your pick.

Couple of things in the news here made me think about the older Grand ships in the Princess fleet,

That ships of the future could be run on hydrogen, OK can not see this any time soon but very eco friendly,

But then a bit about extending the life of older cruise ships by cutting them in half and adding extra length, been done to quite a lot of older ships,

To australia!! Or Pulmantur, or bring back Ocean Village.

No. They won't split them and the add pieces to make them longer. They will more likely add Pop-Outs like on a camper. They would work as extra stabalizers. Yeah... That's the ticket... :eek:

I actually really liked Sea Princess. Yes, I know she is currently having massive problems but I liked the ship and the wide promenade. Sea Princess was my first cruise ship and the one that hooked me on cruising. Not a gigantic ship. Not even a Grand Class ship.

As for the OP... I've read an awful lot of his posts. One can not be sure he didn't make his original post just to "stir the pot" and see what came to the top. :D

I actually really liked Sea Princess. Yes, I know she is currently having massive problems but I liked the ship and the wide promenade. Sea Princess was my first cruise ship and the one that hooked me on cruising. Not a gigantic ship. Not even a Grand Class ship.

What a great ship for a first cruise!

No wonder you were hooked!

Your assessment is dead on.

Mike;)

Like most of you posting to this thread I do not want to see the ships get any bigger. The size of the Grand class ships is as large as I want to sail on.

The original Island Princess is still our favorite ship and it is a lot smaller than the Grand class ships.

What a great ship for a first cruise!

No wonder you were hooked!

Your assessment is dead on.

Mike;)

That is the ship that got me hooked also. I love the Sun Class ships! I would sail them today if I could. They are my choice over the Grand class ships. I wish they had modeled Alfredos off of the Pizzeria Menu from the Sun Class ships.

Hi All

Nice too see so many chatting away, we all know Princess has an end of service plan for its ships, we have seen part of this in action already, move them to another part of the group, remodel the ship like the Grand has already been through, it might be 15 years away before some ships start to leave the fleet they might have been remodeled a few times by then.

However my original question was with a number of cruise ships getting an extra bit added in would Princess ever consider this.

Almost all have said they like smaller ships,

But that has not stopped Princess and other lines going bigger and bigger.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I don't think there is any danger of "stretching" them. Costs not withstanding, it would also preclude them from the Panama Canal (until the expansion is completed).

The Grand class ships are already precluded from the Panama Canal as they are too wide.

That is the ship that got me hooked also. I love the Sun Class ships! I would sail them today if I could. They are my choice over the Grand class ships. I wish they had modeled Alfredos off of the Pizzeria Menu from the Sun Class ships.

Ahhhhhhhhh........ Cafe Corniche. Great venue. Wonderful pizza.

Don't know how many times we have posted and spoken out about our displeasure with overcrowded ships. Think it started about 2006 when we went on the brand new Caribbean Princess. That was the 1st and last time we have been on one. But as long as people go on them they will build more and more and more.

It is too bad but it looks like all good things must come to and end at some point.:( But it is still our money.

Hi All,

Couple of things in the news here made me think about the older Grand ships in the Princess fleet,

That ships of the future could be run on hydrogen, OK can not see this any time soon but very eco friendly,

But then a bit about extending the life of older cruise ships by cutting them in half and adding extra length, been done to quite a lot of older ships,

Fincantieri order book has a number of ships booked in to under go this,

So question do you think Princess will consider this, may be Royal class atriums on all ships one day.

Would make a nice feature on a ship like the Grand add in a stair case, expand cafe, vines shops and a few hundred more cabins.etc

yours Shogun

I have been on 2 ships where an addition has been added and they were both disasters. The older Grand Class ships are wonderful. They don't need any larger ships. Princess needs more ships the size of the Coral and Island so it can get into more ports.

Our cruise on the Dawn, June this year, was our first cruise. Thirty one glorious days. We quickly understood why cruising is so popular.

Our second cruise was in July this year, on the Royal. We quickly understood why so many people love the Sun Class ships.

They have a large following down here, who appreciate the more relaxed experience. HANDS OFF! :);) We're keeping them!

Our cruise on the Dawn, June this year, was our first cruise. Thirty one glorious days. We quickly understood why cruising is so popular.

Our second cruise was in July this year, on the Royal. We quickly understood why so many people love the Sun Class ships.

They have a large following down here, who appreciate the more relaxed experience. HANDS OFF! :);) We're keeping them!

I very much appreciate your comments. I love the Sun class ships also; couldn't we have just one of them back? Would you take Royal and Regal for one Sun Class?