Food Preferences - what would you like to see improved????

skiiergirl

At dinner in the MDR there is always a sugar free dessert choice. Most are very good. There also used to be those options in the WJ, but I have not seen them lately. But you could ask.

Unfortunately the so called sugar free desserts that are available are really complex carbohydrates. Yes they are "sugar" free but as they are made of starches that become sugar, they are bad for people with diabetic issues. Believe me, this has been an ongoing problem that I and others have brought to RCCL attention over the years. Usually, we must resort to some type of fruit which RCCL normally has available and will be provided when asked.

yes .. totally understand ..my partners a diabetic too and on our last cruise on Explorer he found many of the mousse type desserts both in WJ and in MDR that suited him ... i.e. not baked desserts .. im sure one night he even had sugar free ice cream in MDR too after he asked our waiter.

he even commented that he was pleased with the selection of desserts he was able to have .. and avoided the cake-type things . Hes type 2 but was able to satisfy his sweet tooth (granted, while still looking longingly at what the rest of us were having! )

On some RCCL ships and depending on the head chef at the time, real sugar free desserts such as mouse is available. There is no fleet wide directive to provide this tho...I wish it were. By the way, the last time I was offered "sugar free" ice cream, it was really a "no sugar added product." On those ships with a Cafe Prominade, some offer a different flavored sugar free mouse every day. I believe that this is an issue RCCL should address fleet wide.

Because of the giant bear on Quantum. OP is saying they could take the money and improve the food instead of spending it on silly stuff.

pink-bear.jpg?w=680

Okay...that is just odd. :rolleyes:

One of the MDR lunch menus (on sea days) has apple strudel on the dessert menu. We've tried it--it was dry (too many crumbs in the filling) and not very satisfying.

All their desserts are like that. They look fabulous, and they are unsatisfying and have little flavor. Their almond poppy seed muffins taste like flavorless bread.

Because of the giant bear on Quantum. OP is saying they could take the money and improve the food instead of spending it on silly stuff.

pink-bear.jpg?w=680

Okay...that is just odd. :rolleyes:

Why is that any "stranger" or "odder" than this:

SAM_2055_zpsd0970c76.jpg

And I have seen no complaints about these Britto sculptures on Mariner.

I myself LOVE "Ursa Magenta". ;) :)

Why is that any "stranger" or "odder" than this:

SAM_2055_zpsd0970c76.jpg

And I have seen no complaints about these Britto sculptures on Mariner.

I myself LOVE "Ursa Magenta". ;) :)

I enjoy art. I just find a 30 foot pink bear on an outside deck to be odd. It is my opinion. I wonder how well his pinkness will hold up in the weather and salt spray. :D

I think the pyramid on the pool deck on Voyager is a little strange too. But I do enjoy most of the inside art displays. And we have multiple photos of the of the robust bather with life ring on Serenade in all of his iterations. He has been many different colors.

Edited by Coralc

Purist that you may be -- you should give 'chocolate chili' a try (if of course you like chili --if not don't worry about it) ....it is outstanding. It is the original recipe of Cincinnati chili that was used originally by Skyline Chili.

People may say that we have hijacked this thread in some way and I don't want anyone to point a finger at me in some insulting way -- so maybe we need to return to the topic at hand. (LOL)

I have had chocolate chili. Both good and bad. Some cooks put too much chocolate in and it is not good. The best Mexican dish I've had was a version of chicken enchiladas with brown (chocolate) mole. Outstanding dish.

Back on topic - in the casual dining areas on the ships it would be nice to have chili, enchiladas and other southwest foods. A nice flavor change.

I think what many of our comments to the original post boil down to - More flavor and variety in the selections on board would be appreciated by all.

I have sympathy for the cruise line re: complaints about foods served to which people are allergic. If they banned everything or even significantly reduced it they would affect far more people. Food labels and descriptions are good but you still run risks there (translations, ESL for most staff). Allergies are tough (we deal with two -one common, one uncommon). We get our own table (so we don't have to deal with someone ordering a "bad" item for us and proceed with caution just like at home.

Re: food improvements... I never seem to get a steak rare enough. And too much trouble to send it back to be redone.

Otherwise maybe it's in expectation management. It's mass market catered food. I expect decent, sometimes great, but never excellent food. And typically that's what we get. If I get something I don't like, well, I get to order something else at no penalty so I can't really think too badly of that experience.

I have had chocolate chili. Both good and bad. Some cooks put too much chocolate in and it is not good. The best Mexican dish I've had was a version of chicken enchiladas with brown (chocolate) mole. Outstanding dish.

Back on topic - in the casual dining areas on the ships it would be nice to have chili, enchiladas and other southwest foods. A nice flavor change.

I think what many of our comments to the original post boil down to - More flavor and variety in the selections on board would be appreciated by all.

Sounds good....and very true that a large number of the issues due come down to having more flavor and variety.

I have sympathy for the cruise line re: complaints about foods served to which people are allergic. If they banned everything or even significantly reduced it they would affect far more people. Food labels and descriptions are good but you still run risks there (translations, ESL for most staff). Allergies are tough (we deal with two -one common, one uncommon). We get our own table (so we don't have to deal with someone ordering a "bad" item for us and proceed with caution just like at home.

Re: food improvements... I never seem to get a steak rare enough. And too much trouble to send it back to be redone.

Otherwise maybe it's in expectation management. It's mass market catered food. I expect decent, sometimes great, but never excellent food. And typically that's what we get. If I get something I don't like, well, I get to order something else at no penalty so I can't really think too badly of that experience.

I don't know if I have sympathy for the cruise line as you put it or an understanding that it is very difficult to please so many people when it comes to something as subjective as food.

As the cruise industry have evolved and tried to broaden its market and keep attracting more and more cruisers to larger and larger ships, they had to anticipate the added difficulty they would have pleasing everyone, all the time.

The nature of the beast. That doesn't mean just tacitly accept it from cruisers when they are displeased with something. I have never walked away from a dinner table, lunch table or breakfast table hungry on a cruise. I have walked away saying, "Gee I won't get that again". It's over to me.....and on to another activity.

Unfortunately the so called sugar free desserts that are available are really complex carbohydrates. Yes they are "sugar" free but as they are made of starches that become sugar, they are bad for people with diabetic issues. Believe me, this has been an ongoing problem that I and others have brought to RCCL attention over the years. Usually, we must resort to some type of fruit which RCCL normally has available and will be provided when asked.

I know how it works. I have been following a low carb lifestyle for many years. When I am strict with my carbs I eat less than a diabetic.

On Allure in the Park Cafe they had SF cheesecakes and mousse type pies which are low carb.

Every night there is a cheese and fruit plate as an option.

Edited by abridalmaven

I don't know if I have sympathy for the cruise line as you put it or an understanding that it is very difficult to please so many people when it comes to something as subjective as food.

As the cruise industry have evolved and tried to broaden its market and keep attracting more and more cruisers to larger and larger ships, they had to anticipate the added difficulty they would have pleasing everyone, all the time.

The nature of the beast. That doesn't mean just tacitly accept it from cruisers when they are displeased with something. I have never walked away from a dinner table, lunch table or breakfast table hungry on a cruise. I have walked away saying, "Gee I won't get that again". It's over to me.....and on to another activity.

I think they all deserve some slack. They are trying to accommodate as many people as possible. Twenty years ago - who ever heard of vegan? Gluten Free? Or to go back to one of my favorite movies - Fruitarian? ;) and all the other issues that they now have to accommodate while feeding several thousand people within a 4 hour span, plus serving lunch, snacks, room service, etc.

The chase to the bottom for the lowest possible cabin rate has not helped and I think a great many of us are guilty of it. Kind of hard to spend more on food when passengers are paying the same or less than just 10 years ago. Most will say they would pay more for better quality - but when the credit card hits the counter .......

Edited by temple1

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments. I am so glad 99% stayed on the topic of your own comments/suggestions rather than criticizing other people. It makes for a much nicer thread and hopefully the "RC readers" will pass the comments on to fols who can make changes.

Please keep YOUR comments regarding likes/dislikes/wishes of RC FOOD (taste/quality/type/variety/preparation) coming!

• 2 months later...

Just back from 2 weeks on AD and thinking about the food we had...thought I would "refresh" this thread.

While we were more pleased with WJ on this ship than we have been on other ships recently....there are still items we would like to see modified in MDR, WJ, and specialty dining.

1. Still would love to see them get rid of the Shiitake and Pomodoro menus in MDR

2. Would love to see Vidalia Onion Tart back

3. Would definitely love for them to get a recipe for biscuits (soft, fluffly, tasty) and gravy and serve them in WJ as well as MDR

4. Would love to have a "daily special" fresh, warm bagel

5. Still miss the "daily bread" special in MDR to give a variety of breads

6. Our group definitely was not pleased with the Giovannis menu even though we ate there 4 times over 2 weeks....the only things our group really enjoyed were a) scallop appetizer b) mozzarella appetizer c) spinach and ricotta crepes d) sole for the entrée (Over the 4 times and 10 folks...we tried the following entrees with only the sole turning out as a "keeper" from the group....we tried...sole, filet, veal tenderloins, osso bucco, lamb, chicken, shrimp) - Would definitely like to see changes to this menu

Any others with updated requests / comments based on recent cruises?????

Just back from 2 weeks on AD and thinking about the food we had...thought I would "refresh" this thread.

While we were more pleased with WJ on this ship than we have been on other ships recently....there are still items we would like to see modified in MDR, WJ, and specialty dining.

1. Still would love to see them get rid of the Shiitake and Pomodoro menus in MDR

3. Would definitely love for them to get a recipe for biscuits (soft, fluffly, tasty) and gravy and serve them in WJ as well as MDR

6. Our group definitely was not pleased with the Giovannis menu even though we ate there 4 times over 2 weeks....the only things our group really enjoyed were a) scallop appetizer b) mozzarella appetizer c) spinach and ricotta crepes d) sole for the entrée (Over the 4 times and 10 folks...we tried the following entrees with only the sole turning out as a "keeper" from the group....we tried...sole, filet, veal tenderloins, osso bucco, lamb, chicken, shrimp) - Would definitely like to see changes to this menu

Totally agree on the ricotta crepes but also enjoyed the eggplant Parmesan. Ate at Giovanni's 4 times while on the Allure recently. We ate at Chops twice and just have to keep beating this dead horse. Please bring back the real desserts... the red velvet cake and mud pie that they used to serve were so good. These new varieties are bland and tasteless in comparison. Come on, I paid $70 for those Chops meals, they should include your best. :p

I'd like to see things that I wouldn't really make at home, like delicate risottos, decent beef wellington (with proper fillet of beef). I can make it at home, it just rarely seems worth it :)

I'd prefer fewer tomato based sauces, or else a choice of sauce.

I'd also like a change up in the desserts, but at the risk of being unpopular, I'd like apple based items to not contain cinna-bloody-mon. More pastry based desserts would be nice, as would things like tiramisu and a generic fruit salad option. I'd also like if they had real cream instead of icecream, but that may be asking a bit much.

I'd like more crudités style things to have as nibbles around the place - carrot batons, cucumber julienne, celery, that kind of thing. If you could get them in something like an icecream cone that would be great :)

I agree with an improvement to the beef in general, and nicer steaks.

We dined at Giovannis and all but licked the bowl the risotto was served in. It was the best thing we had the entire cruise.:D