Food Preferences - what would you like to see improved????

skiiergirl

Having sailed Allure a few weeks ago, I can say categorically that I am a fan of the changes to Chops. I know people are bent out of shape over the extra charge, but the items were excellent. Even more so, I thought the appetizers and sides were a big step up from the previous options.

I would LOVE to see them take it a step further though. I think specialty restaurants should really be a step up. I have found Giovanni's to be a bigger disappointment every time I sail, as it continues to slide into a level of mediocrity that leaves me longing for Olive Garden!

For the love of all things decent, am I the only one that thinks it's kind of pathetic that a ship that spends it's entire existent in waters and ports just teeming with wonderful seafood, can't serve anything but previously frozen fish????

Ohhhh! Oh my, I've never seen that until now. Yeah OK I totally agree. That's goofy.

Not really. RCI, like many cruise lines, is one of the biggest purchasers of original artworks anywhere. The ships are absolutely loaded with them. For someone to take one piece they don't care for, and argue that the money on that piece would be better spent on food is rather obtuse reasoning.

I bet not as much as you might think.

Just RCI's current berths, there are just over 72,000 berths available every day. To be conservative, call it about 70k/day all year, which is 25.5 Million passenger berths/year.

Now I may be wrong, but I bet that costs less than $25M, which is just $1/day for just one year.

When the two fully come on line, RCI will have over 80,000 berths available per day. $1/day for each berth is a lot of money.

Although, I would be willing to add that to the cabin cost....

Sorry if the actual meaning of my original post was poorly stated and did not convey my actual thoughts on the subject.

On this thread dealing with improving the food on RC's ships I had stated that an increase of $20. per day per passenger would be a tremendous increase to the entire dining budget.

It could mean better food, service and presentation at every dining venue on board possibly generating enough to the ship's bottom line that specialty restaurants are no longer needed and the MDR could provide the specialty experience each night.

It would still not put the price of an RC cruise into that of a true "LUXURY" cruise where things like staterooms stocked with several liters of liquor, champagne, beer and soft drinks all of which are replenished when needed along with caviar being complimentary 24/7.

The reference to the bear was made only to point out that in some large corporations I have noticed a trend where increases to the bottom line often are used in places that DO NOT trickle down to the ultimate consumer. I say this now that I am retired after working my entire lifetime for two of the largest.

Granted the PINK BEAR is only a minor expense, however it is something that most passengers will take notice of for a few minutes when they see it and then ignore it for the rest of their cruise, some may even have to run after and comfort their children who see it and are scared to death (seen a lot of screaming at many Santa Claus displays during my lifetime LOL).

I for one would rather have the money spent on an overgrown piece of CAD generated metal

go toward something like dining which most passengers will partake of three or more times a day for the entire length of their cruise.

OMO

bosco

I agree with so many of the above posts !!

These items stand out in my mind --

1. The menu descriptions (as mentioned just above) - I have SEVERE food allergies, and more than once, DH got a dish that had some unstated allergen on it and had to send it back. Any of the big 7 allergic foods should be mentioned even if just a trace is on the plate !!

2. Fried chicken - I know, easy to get on land, but I love it and I don't eat it frequently. How hard could it be to have some on the buffet?? NCL offers a fried chicken special in their pub for dinner.

3. Ice cream soup and other frozen dairy desserts -- I do not like melty ice cream. I know some do, but it's not intended to arrive at the table already soupy !! And for the love of ice cream, why do the soft serve machines NEVER work ??!!! On Rhapsody a few weeks ago, and the machine was out of service more often than not. (I don't understand - these machines are on the ship, every week, month after month -- don't they know how to operate and/or fix them yet??) How disappointing !

4. Ditto an earlier statement on less shellfish / seafood -- I frequently have to skip formal nights in the dining room due to the majority of items that are seafood. I don't have to eat it -- the smell of it is enough of a problem. (Dynamic dining might resolve this but then I will never be able to go to the restaurant that is heavy on the seafood.)

5. For DH -- REAL PIZZA PLEASE !!!

6. Have some simpler dishes -- I know many cruisers are cruise foodies and look forward to trying all sorts of new and fabulous foods, but some of us are less adventurous. I am usually forced to stick to the "classics". Maybe add a variable classic to the daily menu? (I found myself ordering from the kids menu last cruise to avoid having the chicken breast AGAIN.)

7. Finally, (also stated previously) consistency with Park Cafe and the roast beef sandwiches !! I was so looking forward to them, and the PC sandwiches on Rhapsody were NOT the same PC as on Oasis and Allure.

Of course, less ice cream availability meant I gained few lbs.... :)

Sandy

Guest maddycat

I'm getting tired of posting this and writing this on the survey. Please go back to serving Lipton or Twinings tea. Stash and Bromley are also good options. First Tea that is now served on all RCI ships is awful. It's weak and has an odd flowery taste.

I would like to see some regional dishes from the region we are visiting. For example some Caribbean food in the Caribbean.

Yes!!!!! And Alaska salmon in Alaska-not Atlantic salmon! I would rather see them reduce the enormous buffet choices and instead focus on simplifying and using quality-spices instead of salt so people stop getting "cruise ankles".

More cooked to order food- eggs to order, etc. a

Get rid of the fancy sauces and sides used to hide the quality of the meal and pay attention to the actual cooking of the meal. If you can't do the basics right then don't try to hide them!

I would like to see a better quality cut of steak on the MDR menu that you dont have to pay extra for and the ability to get a Prime steak in Chops for the 35.00. NOT 35.00 + the upcharge fee for a steak. If Carnival can serve a USDA Prime steak in their steakhouses for 35.00 then most certainly RCI should be able to as well.

Like the steaks not the price.

I'm getting tired of posting this and writing this on the survey. Please go back to serving Lipton or Twinings tea. Stash and Bromley are also good options. First Tea that is now served on all RCI ships is awful. It's weak and has an odd flowery taste.

Also the coffee they serve Seattle Best or Blend is also awful.

Ok all, let's play nice here....No need to criticize another poster...just list YOUR likes/dislikes.

We all have different tastes..some national and some regional! I think we can all agree that there are some things RC does really well and some things that need definite improvement!!!! (And we may have totally opposing viewpoints on any particular item.) I'm sure there are things that I think are nasty...but if I have never tried it I shouldn't criticize based on names or looks!

No need to talk nutrition either as again we are all different. All of our bodies process food differently. What might be good for one person might not have the same affect/effect on another person's body/weight.

What would you like to see changed or added to the RC menu and/or buffet offerings?

I'll start....

1. I agree that the biscuits and gravy offered in the WJ on most ships is nasty! (looks and taste) I agree with OP in another thread...if they are going to serve it they should train the staff to prepare it properly!!! I would love to see them serve authentic southern biscuits and gravy not only in the WJ but also have it as a menu item in the MDR and specialty restaurants for those that qualify for the specialty restaurant breakfast.

2. Would love to have them bring back:

a. Vidalia Onion Tart in MDR

b. Green Beans in Chops

c. Lyonnaise potatoes in Chops

d. Assorted breads in MDR (cornbread, banana bread, etc)

3. Would love to have them offer fresh, hot, variety of bagels (blueberry, strawberry, cinnamon, sun-dried tomato, etc).

4. Breakfast burritos or offer warm tortillas to make your own breakfast burrito

5. Get rid of the Mojo, Shiitake, and Arugula menus! These need to be removed and completely replaced.

I'm sure there is more I am just not thinking of at the moment. These are the items at the top of my "RC food revamp wish list".

What about you? (Again....YOUR likes/dislikes....no need to criticize other people's likes/dislikes.)

Mojo & ****ake are two of my favorites, they should get rid of Jasmine. There is nothing there.

Stan

I would like to see organic food available. Whole grain pastas and breads should also be an option. Low carb items should have a symbol on the menu, so that you can quickly identify the healthy options.

The current food tends to be very salty. I would like to see less salt and more interesting spices used.

Fresh local seafood would also be nice to have, even if there were a charge for it.

Also low sugar desserts, no sugar desserts have artificial sweetners, which for many are a big no, no. I love tart desserts and low sugar desserts.

Also the veggies tends to be just starches, potatoes, turnips, parsnips etc. I always ask for no potatoes just green veggies, 4 of 5 times they give me others starches turnips and parsnips. I don't eat them but I hate to waste food.

Stan

Just a few I'd like to see:

Free coffee that tastes like coffee

A return to the separate appetizer and salad courses - though I generally order one of each anyway, but more salad choices would be nice.

Bring back the Scallop Risotto

Get rid of the awful "BBB Creme Brulee" and make a real creme brulee

Oh yes, I agree with the Creme Brulee. I like plain vanilla, without the bananas.

Room service has the good ones. Bring a zip lock and they last a day or two

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I have the waiter at dinner each night bring me some of the real chocolate chip cookies...take them back to our cabin and put them in zip lock bags....they don't last more than a day...but then again, I am at dinner again and get more.

We love to order room service early and have a cookies with it....delish way to start the day. What is a few good calories!!!

Wow! Some excellent suggestions. I agree with all of them. Here are a few more.

I would like to see some regional dishes from the region we are visiting. For example some Caribbean food in the Caribbean.

Also less shellfish. Shellfish allergy is the most common allergy.

Bring back the Sugar free Key Lime Pie. The stuff that replaced it isn't anywhere near as good.

I could definitely replace the one of the nights with a Caribbean food menu for sure... that would add to the ambiance of the cruise.

I would like to see some Indian dishes, as well.

A couple posts mentioned certain items being available only on sea days. Is the MDR/Windjammer menu different on sea days than on port days?

Lunch in the MDR is generally available only on sea days. That's the only difference that comes to mind with regard to dining on sea days vs port days.