Final payment 1 day late

pbmsmile

Just to add to some of the comments regarding "not" having a credit card on hand...just because someone does not have a credit card does not mean they CAN'T get one.

We do not use them, pay everything in cash, no need for credit card, can reserve no issue with debit card. So don't think that everyone relies on credit to make it through life. Sometimes it is a choice and what a great choice to have cash to cover it all!

I know, I know all those reward points just sitting out waiting for me to use the CC to collect...my reward for using cash is worth so much more in life, its called freedom ;););)

Just sayin.....

Just to add to some of the comments regarding "not" having a credit card on hand...just because someone does not have a credit card does not mean they CAN'T get one.

Many people don't want one. Or simply keep it around for that "just in case the shinola hits the fan" moment. I'm not disagreeing with those that pay for EVERYTHING with their credit card and then pay it off, but some people simply use cash for everything, or don't want to have the card usage on their credit reports for whatever reason.

I understand where you're coming from, but.......

Not everyone has or wants to use a credit card.

Sometimes things come up in life that limit your saving ability or unexpected emergencies arise that may set you back.

And - some people simply over-extend themselves no matter what.......

In my case, I dont have a "real" job. I tutor at a facility that holds classes for homeschoolers. I get paid once, a month into the semester. My income pays for fun extras like cruising. So, for me I wouldn't be able to pay off the cruise from regular income/before I get my paycheck. Well, I could take it out of savings, but I won't.:D

We do not use them, pay everything in cash, no need for credit card, can reserve no issue with debit card. So don't think that everyone relies on credit to make it through life. Sometimes it is a choice and what a great choice to have cash to cover it all!

I know, I know all those reward points just sitting out waiting for me to use the CC to collect...my reward for using cash is worth so much more in life, its called freedom ;););)

Just sayin.....

I get what you are saying. But you could always set up your credit card to pay in full like a lot of my clients do. There are still some good protections out there that only credit cards offer. But by paying it in full you still are "Free". Best of both worlds IMO.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I get what you are saying. But you could always set up your credit card to pay in full like a lot of my clients do. There are still some good protections out there that only credit cards offer. But by paying it in full you still are "Free". Best of both worlds IMO.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

i agree. Using a debit card for daily bills is not a good idea. They can be compromised same as with a credit card. Problem is when your debit card is compromised, your checking account can be emptied. Yes, your bank will most likely take care of it, but you are still with no funds for a time whereas with a credit card, they cancel the charges that aren't yours and send you a new card.

Lot's of money earned using credit cards too. Not using the good reward cards is simply throwing money away.

One of the best ones is Southwest. When they have their 50,000 point incentive in effect, all you need to do is charge $2000 in a 3 month period and you are awarded 50,000 points to use for flights. Just booked Albany to Tampa for 6700 points. That's a lot of flying. Before a yr goes by, you can just cancel it so you don't get charged the $69 yearly fee. Then have your spouse apply for it and get the points and repeat.

Other cards pay an average of 2 points on every dollar. For every $1000 charged, that's $20 in your pocket. Adds up fast

This person doesn't have a credit card she can pay it with and then pay the credit card the next day? If no credit company is willing to give them a card I sure as heck wouldn't be willing to "Loan" them $500.

Now having said that, they usually allow a 2 day grace period but then they would have to be able to charge a card number that amount so that it is actually PAID on the "grace period day" either way they would need a card number to pull this off...

Sounds like a story to me.

Totally agree. How was it booked if no credit card ? I am in awe of the sailing lady who posted above..and who sails to salute our troops.........GO LADY. Enjoy your cruising.

You dont have to have a credit card to book travel!! Many people ( myself) included, live within their means..not in the world of plastic. I have a credit card...but do not use it for travel

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Forums mobile app

This person doesn't have a credit card she can pay it with and then pay the credit card the next day? If no credit company is willing to give them a card I sure as heck wouldn't be willing to "Loan" them $500.

Not everyone has a credit card, some people do not have a CC by choice. I for one do not have CC, and it is not because any CC company will not give me one, its because I don't want one. Sorry i don't fit into your idea of how things should be.

You dont have to have a credit card to book travel!! Many people ( myself) included, live within their means..not in the world of plastic. I have a credit card...but do not use it for travel

Are you assuming using a credit card implies not living within one's means? I charge almost everything and have for decades. I pay the entire balance each month and have never carried a balance. I get 1% to a possible 5% back on every purchase that I wouldn't get by paying cash. I get 3% back on all travel on an AARP card. Does cash do that for you? Doing so also provides a record of expenditures.

Use of credit cards can also provide protection when things go awry with the point of purchase. Had a flight booked with a company that went belly up. Had I paid with cash, I would have never seen the money again. The credit card company got the refund. My card extends warranties and provides back-up insurance on car rentals. And, yes, my card was compromised once; the credit card company took care of it immediately.

And paying by check holds up lines in stores!

Credit cards do not cause financial irresponsibility. The user can.

I am going to put my flame retardant suit on now before I say this

if you need your next paycheck to pay off your cruise, then I think you need to get some financial planning in place. It's one thing to live paycheck to paycheck to pay for NECESSITIES, it's another to do it for a vacation. I truly feel sorry for people who are spending their only liquid funds on a vacation (must be why I didn't take a vacation for 15 years in the 1980's-1990's)

Just a little bit judgmental on your part.

There is a huge flaw in your argument, there have been times I have needed my next paycheck to finishing off a cruise, its not because I am living paycheck to paycheck. Its called budgeting, i can afford to pay Xdollers out of each paycheck, What I need is not a financial planning, but less people who are so know it all like you.

In closing I am glad I am not you.....

Would your logic pass the "can I afford it" on the Suzy Orman show

that's what I use to make my money choices.

FYI, credit cards pay ME to use them. I pay 0 fees, 0 interest. EVER.

And managing credit raises my credit score (which can affect your car/home insurance rates)

You think everyone that uses a credit card does not live within their means?

If you would get your deposit back if you cancel before Dec xx then a full refund should should also happen. Also why not pay the final payment on time with a credit card and pay the card off when the statement arrives. There is usually a week or more lag after the purchase and the credit card due date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol..she never asked me to lend her $$ bc she knows I wouldnt. She asked me if Carnival might give her an extra day to pay..which they did ( 2 in fact) Alls well that ends welk .. I wish her a wonderful trip!

Amazing to me why someone who has a cruise booked doesn't have the funds to pay for it.

Best to pay with a credit card anyway

Really?? I book many cruises and vacations and pay along the way. Not many can pay for a vacation in full, all at once...which is precisely why the industry allows payments. Clearly you have never looked at a teachers pay :rolleyes:.

And NO, the best way is NOT to pay with a credit cared. Absurd advice :eek:.

Just sayin.....

Amen. Can't believe how many folks on here are all about running up huge amounts of debt on their credit cards!! Cut em' up and pay the honest way folks.

Really?? I book many cruises and vacations and pay along the way. Not many can pay for a vacation in full, all at once...which is precisely why the industry allows payments. Clearly you have never looked at a teachers pay :rolleyes:.

And NO, the best way is NOT to pay with a credit cared. Absurd advice :eek:.

what's teacher's pay have to do with anything? You can either afford to pay on time or not.

As far as paying by credit card, you are protecting yourself in many ways. Paying by debit is inviting problems.

See post 30

Edited by SeaUs

I could pay cash for everything if I wanted to pay "the old fashioned way". I choose not to. It's the 21st century. Instead of paying the merchant for goods and services, you use a high reward credit card. No reason you can't immediately send the amount charged to the CC company. That would negate the charge if you can't trust yourself to pay the invoice at the end of the month. Then watch the rewards come in.

Free air, cash back, etc

I'm not seeing why some posters feel the need to dole out financial advice. Unless you are speaking as a professional hired to do so or from a place of support or love, you have no right to tell people how or when they should pay for things.

What is it to you how they afford their vacations or if they have savings or not? Everyone has to work around their own pay dates. If you can afford to pay things off all at once, big whoop. Does that make you better than someone? I think not. Every time a thread like this comes up, there are those who just can't wait to take a nip at the question and condemn, because people don't do things the way they think they should. Not everyone lives and dies by credit cards and building up points and all of that. And I don't care what anyone says, everyone on here is not paying credit card bills off monthly.

I have two credit cards and never pile up vacation expenses on them. Ever. I have a savings account yet we still pay on our cruises a little at a time. There's a plethora of life expenses that people incur. If they choose to pay for vacation without a credit card or go on one and not have a huge savings account, last time I checked that's their business and has zero to do with the original question, which was answered many posts ago.

We booked thru a TA years ago and didn't know anything about final payment dates and assumed that we already paid. (we booked close to the final payment date) A while later we got a letter from NCL asking if we were still planning to take the cruise since we missed the payment date. I nearly crooked since we would have been out our $500 deposit and air fare if they decided to cancel us. Lesson learned; nobody cares about your money like you do. Son't assume somebody will look out for you, look out for yourself.

I'm not seeing why some posters feel the need to dole out financial advice. Unless you are speaking as a professional hired to do so or from a place of support or love, you have no right to tell people how or when they should pay for things.

I know the OP is tired of the direction this thread has taken, but I think people feel frustrated by the bad financial decisions they see people all around them making. It really doesn't matter if you pay by cash or pay off a credit card each month, but I honestly feel frightened for anyone who is one paycheck away from financial disaster. If someone can't pay for their cruise until they get their paycheck, what happens when they have an unexpected necessary expense? I wish they would cut out the discretionary spending until they can build up a savings cushion, for their own good. I'm glad I did. I also care about the impact on everyone else, including me, when people can't pay their bills because of unexpected expenses or job loss and end up in foreclosure, defaulting on loans, and filing for bankruptcy.

Edited by KatieCharlotte