Eating in BLU everyday?!

shipshape sam

After our med cruise last year we pretty much resolved not to eat in the MDR again. The service and food quality have just declined too much.

From now on we'll look at aqua or else the dining package with a standard verandah cabin. Whichever seems like the better deal is what we'll choose. So yes, depending on how the numbers worked out, I would absolutely eat in Blu every night of an extended cruise. We did on our 9 night b2b earlier this year and will again on our upcoming 10 night.

Did you actually attempt to speak to the Blu dining room manager to order something for the next night and he/she turned you down?

Also, did you ask for the bread from Tuscan and were refused?

Yes at the end of each evening a menu is brought for the next day. On our first cruise they would recommend off menu items, and for later cruises they would tell me what I could have and sometimes it was only one option. The deserts were a singular choice many evenings.

During my first cruise in Blu we got the very nice Tuscan GF bread. Hot and wonderful. It was actually the reason I went to Tuscan afterward. But on later cruises they served a cold tasteless cardboard bread and I was told the policy to get food from other restaurants was stopped. I confirmed it with management.

With that policy in Blu, may as well have the menu in MDR because it says right on the menu what is vegetarian and what is GF.

Ironically, this is why we went to Aqua in the first place, to have made to order GF food.

Edited by hulamoon

Yes at the end of each evening a menu is brought for the next day. On our first cruise they would recommend off menu items, and for later cruises they would tell me what I could have and sometimes it was only one option. The deserts were a singular choice many evenings.

During my first cruise in Blu we got the very nice Tuscan GF bread. Hot and wonderful. It was actually the reason I went to Tuscan afterward. But on later cruises they served a cold tasteless cardboard bread and I was told the policy to get food from other restaurants was stopped. I confirmed it with management.

With that policy in Blu, may as well have the menu in MDR because it says right on the menu what is vegetarian and what is GF.

WOW! That's a huge change in service levels! :( :( :(

If there's a Celebrity spokesperson monitoring this thread I'd like to hear some comment on this, please.

I did a 27 day B2B earlier this year and, even though I dined elsewhere a few times, I was pretty tired of the menu in Blu by the 14th day. I do like the quieter ambiance in Blu, however. I'm getting ready to do the same length B2B next month and, based on my previous experience, decided to break it up this time with 1st cruise in Blu and 2nd in MDR. I don't care that it entails changing my cabin either. (I'm also throwing in gluten-free soy sauce for stir fry a few nights in the buffet; you can add stuff from the salad bar and it's really good.) Every night in Blu, they brought the following night's menu so I could order whatever I wanted prepared GF. They surprised me most nights with off-the-menu desserts which was charming. Never was offered anything but that sad, sad, prepackaged GF bread, though. I hope changing dining rooms makes gluten-free more interesting and palatable this go-round. We shall see.

Edit: I did send food back in Blu because the dishes were overly salty. They got better over time.

Yes the saltiness of our last cruise took me by suprise too. What were your delightful suprises? Honestly after being bored to pieces we moved to an SV where I didn't have to deal with the poor waiter and his sadness over delivering bad news. Charming deserts? I got meringue. lol also I was told the ice cream was not GF.

My GF goes back to before anyone knew what it was. So even if I am bored, I am most grateful to be able to travel.

WOW! That's a huge change in service levels! :( :( :(

If there's a Celebrity spokesperson monitoring this thread I'd like to hear some comment on this, please.

After reading Goofy'smom post, I wonder if I just had a couple of strict sailing. I am not sure Tuscan still serves the GF bread anymore either. There bread seemed to change too for regular wheat. That Tuscan GF bread was a good reason to choose Celebrity.

Two years difference was huge.

Maybe somebody has a sample menu for Blue 14-day (or both) of the cruise?

Thank's!

There is a link posted....I have it bookmarked on my tablet..and seems today it says site is frozen. The posted menus were from Eclipse...with one day missing,

Edited by hcat

My DH and I were on a 7 day Caribbean cruise last November and were in Aqua class for the first time - mainly as we were able to get an aft cabin on deck 11 (Summit). Aside from a gall-bladder issue I ended up having (and having it removed when we returned), I really enjoyed Blu. I found the food good and the service better than our last cruise in the MDR (Summit - Bermuda).

Thinking about the MDR - years ago on both HAL and Celebrity - the MDR was always wonderful - attentive service, good food, waiters who cared and anticipated needs - I am wondering if the Select Dining and all the specialty dining is what is causing some of the decline of the MDR's. See years ago there was no select dining and very little specialty dining (in fact I don't remember any specialty dining on my 2 HAL cruises back in the early 1980's). You had your dining time set for, your dinner companions which did not change (depending on size of table) and your wait staff who were assigned to you for the entire cruise. This meant that the wait staff got to know your likes and dislikes pretty quickly, service was set with precise timing (which makes sense for the number of people they need to serve) and I think this meant that service and food were ultimately better. All in all, that was one of the things I liked most about cruising initially (and I liked the formal nights and dressing up for dinner). Maybe I just enjoyed the regimentation a little more (meant I didn't have to think too much about where I was going to eat) - but I definitely enjoyed the service and food more. Just some thoughts.

Yes the saltiness of our last cruise took me by suprise too. What were your delightful suprises? Honestly after being bored to pieces we moved to an SV where I didn't have to deal with the poor waiter and his sadness over delivering bad news. Charming deserts? I got meringue. lol also I was told the ice cream was not GF.

My GF goes back to before anyone knew what it was. So even if I am bored, I am most grateful to be able to travel.

I had key lime mousse a couple of nights, after I commented about how much I missed key lime pie. I also had tiramisu minus the ladyfingers, and something else that was coffee-flavored (one of my favorites) with chocolate shavings on it. I sent my compliments to the chef each night and I think he was flattered = nice surprises.

I do remember having to send back my main course risotto. It was too salty to eat - like the lid had come off of the salt shaker! Although it took awhile, they remade it and it was delicious and huuuge.

I was diagnosed 12+ years ago and it has gotten so much easier to travel, especially on cruises. BTW, I had the best food on X that I've had in years on the Silhouette in the MDR on last December's TA. It will be interesting to compare Blu and the MDR on the Reflection next month, especially if the Exec Chef and FBM remain the same.

we were going to book aqua for our next cruise to try it but I had a look at the evening menu each day we were on the cruise and I much preferred the MDR so we didn't book Aqua. Can you choose to eat in MDR if you are in Aqua or do you have to eat in Blu?

If you prefer the MDR menu any night or want to dine with friends, you should ask the blu maitre d' and they will either tell you to just go to select dining or they will arrange it some other way.

Net: there really isn't any problem....they just want you to work through the maitre d's.

As far as salt....we have had meals both the MDR and Blu where we are convinced that the only spice on board is salt. They have given new meaning to salt pork and have created salt beef, salt chicken and so on. Not sure why this happens unless the recipes say "salt to taste" and they have none. Generally, after I nicely return a few meals, they figure out that at least for me, they need to reduce the salt. I've had this happen on the Millenium and the Infinity, but it's not limited to the m-class ships...it can happen on any of the ships. Actually, I like salt and I eat far too much of it munching on pretzels, eating pickles and so on....so when I find something too salty, it's really salty.

Edited by ghstudio

I agree with Alicia's point, seems like the majority of MDR service complaints come from those with open rather than fixed dining times.

We have only sailed Aqua on Celebrity and not really interested in trying the MDR or specialty restaurants, with the "Always Available" choices as backup could always find something suitable.

I had key lime mousse a couple of nights, after I commented about how much I missed key lime pie. I also had tiramisu minus the ladyfingers, and something else that was coffee-flavored (one of my favorites) with chocolate shavings on it. I sent my compliments to the chef each night and I think he was flattered = nice surprises.

I do remember having to send back my main course risotto. It was too salty to eat - like the lid had come off of the salt shaker! Although it took awhile, they remade it and it was delicious and huuuge.

I was diagnosed 12+ years ago and it has gotten so much easier to travel, especially on cruises. BTW, I had the best food on X that I've had in years on the Silhouette in the MDR on last December's TA. It will be interesting to compare Blu and the MDR on the Reflection next month, especially if the Exec Chef and FBM remain the same.

I was complimentary too those first years. I didn't complain when the choices were terrible. I can't believe the choices you got! I mean I believe you but talk about a difference. Truely, we need to campaign for return of amazing hot Tuscan GF bread choices.

How interesting salt is an issue in Blu, you know, the healthy resturant. I generally love the risotto. Had one once that was not edible, but for the most part excellent.

We are on again for 14 days in December, let me know how it goes in Nov. okay?

Story teller hi at g mail dot com.

As far as salt....we have had meals both the MDR and Blu where we are convinced that the only spice on board is salt. They have given new meaning to salt pork and have created salt beef, salt chicken and so on.

I love this!! :D:D

Will do. Just added it to my calendar.

I was complimentary too those first years. I didn't complain when the choices were terrible. I can't believe the choices you got! I mean I believe you but talk about a difference. Truely, we need to campaign for return of amazing hot Tuscan GF bread choices.

How interesting salt is an issue in Blu, you know, the healthy resturant. I generally love the risotto. Had one once that was not edible, but for the most part excellent.

I love this!! :D:D

Will do. Just added it to my calendar.

We're on for 25 days in February.

Please let us ALL know how it goes in November (although different ships, different crew could make all the difference in the world!)

My DH and I were on a 7 day Caribbean cruise last November and were in Aqua class for the first time - mainly as we were able to get an aft cabin on deck 11 (Summit). Aside from a gall-bladder issue I ended up having (and having it removed when we returned), I really enjoyed Blu. I found the food good and the service better than our last cruise in the MDR (Summit - Bermuda).

Thinking about the MDR - years ago on both HAL and Celebrity - the MDR was always wonderful - attentive service, good food, waiters who cared and anticipated needs - I am wondering if the Select Dining and all the specialty dining is what is causing some of the decline of the MDR's. See years ago there was no select dining and very little specialty dining (in fact I don't remember any specialty dining on my 2 HAL cruises back in the early 1980's). You had your dining time set for, your dinner companions which did not change (depending on size of table) and your wait staff who were assigned to you for the entire cruise. This meant that the wait staff got to know your likes and dislikes pretty quickly, service was set with precise timing (which makes sense for the number of people they need to serve) and I think this meant that service and food were ultimately better. All in all, that was one of the things I liked most about cruising initially (and I liked the formal nights and dressing up for dinner). Maybe I just enjoyed the regimentation a little more (meant I didn't have to think too much about where I was going to eat) - but I definitely enjoyed the service and food more. Just some thoughts.

I agree with you.

We sail in Aqua on Celebrity because we like the smaller dining room but still do traditional (late) dining on other lines and have found service to be fine. I like getting to know the waiter and him getting to know us. That's one of the things that make cruising special for us. Even in Blu , we try to find a favorite waiter and stay at one of his tables.

How interesting salt is an issue in Blu, you know, the healthy restaurant.

Blu promotes the fact that instead of heavy sauces, they use reductions which concentrate flavors. One night we went to dinner rather late and my sauce was inedible because of the intense saltiness. The Maitre D' apologized saying that later in the evening sometimes the sauces have been reducing too long. Of course, the dish was replaced immediately.

Blu promotes the fact that instead of heavy sauces, they use reductions which concentrate flavors. One night we went to dinner rather late and my sauce was inedible because of the intense saltiness. The Maitre D' apologized saying that later in the evening sometimes the sauces have been reducing too long. Of course, the dish was replaced immediately.

Interesting about reductions.

I wonder if the majority of people who dislike the food in Blu prefer later meals. I am an early diner - if I'm not fed by 7 I get cranky - and I've always found the food in Blu delicious and certainly not salty.

We also dine early so I can follow my type 2 meal plan...never found the food too salty, fatty, creamy or heavy.....or bland....found it to be nicely and naturally flavorful...hope they have not changed the recipes..

My issue with Blu menu at dinner, is the game birds. They offer them on many menus but don't know how to cook or prepare them properly. Overcooked game bird is not edible. The waiters explain that they have to cook poultry thoroughly. Well then don't serve it.

The Pecan crusted duck is the same issue. No real restaurant serves a whole, unsliced duck breast cooked medium well. The crust falls off as the overcooked bird continues to omit heat. Straight up gross.

What Blu does well IMO are soups, braises, stews. They are easy to make and hard to mess up. Pasta with sauce, the same. Broiled fish, roasted chicken the same,

By the way, I never understood the pasta with chicken confit. The chicken isn't confit'd, and the staff isn't even sure what the word confit means.

Edited by Kevnzworld

My issue with Blu menu at dinner, is the game birds. They offer them on many menus but don't know how to cook or prepare them properly. Overcooked game bird is not edible. The waiters explain that they have to cook poultry thoroughly. Well then don't serve it.

The Pecan crusted duck is the same issue. No real restaurant serves a whole, unsliced duck breast cooked medium well. The crust falls off as the overcooked bird continues to omit heat. Straight up gross.

What Blu does well IMO are soups, braises, stews. They are easy to make and hard to mess up. Pasta with sauce, the same. Broiled fish, roasted chicken the same,

By the way, I never understood the pasta with chicken confit. The chicken isn't confit'd, and the staff isn't even sure what the word confit means.

I do now after reading up on meaning of Confit. Sounds nice and tender and juicy.

The chicken isn't confit'd, and the staff isn't even sure what the word confit means.

That's silly.....some things are pro fit for human consumption...and some aren't as in con fit. Alternatively, that chicken is fit for prisoners.