C and A Starting to Enforce New Onboard Booking Change Rules

molly361

This is probably what I will do as well. If I don't wait until after final payment dates.

My "new" rule of thumb is if I've put a small deposit down per person from an onboard booking, and the price drops a LOT more than my deposit after final payment date, I will forfeit the deposit after final payment to get the much lower price. It's the bottom line I'm interested in, and if cancelling during days 57 - 74 before sailing saves me money, then I would cancel and rebook. The rebooking, however, is under the other spouse's name as Guest #1.

My "new" rule of thumb is if I've put a small deposit down per person from an onboard booking, and the price drops a LOT more than my deposit after final payment date, I will forfeit the deposit after final payment to get the much lower price. It's the bottom line I'm interested in, and if cancelling during days 57 - 74 before sailing saves me money, then I would cancel and rebook. The rebooking, however, is under the other spouse's name as Guest #1.
If you check RCI's cancellation policy it state full deposit amount($250.00 for a 7/day cruise or $450 for long cruises)not the $100.00 FCC amount. Edited by FLACRUISER99

I don't like booking a FCC anyway. I did hat with Princess and never used it. I tried to use it, but they cancelled two cruise on me and have since not been back! In fairness, they did refund the FCC to me when it expired. Since then I have gone under the motto of not not knowing what the future will bring, I will only book what I truly think I will do.

However, we were on the Jewel during the BOGOHO1 sale. The prices were great. There were two longer cruises we really wanted to do, but knew we could only do one. So we booked both! Once home we talked to family members about both cruises and when one couple decided to join us on one of the booked cruises our decision was made for us and we cancelled the other. We then put that deposit amount toward the cruise we went with once it was refunded. So, we still have the nice OBC for booking onboard with nothing lost.

At this time we do not have plans for any cruise in 2016. We will be on a Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel in Oct '15 and plan a Med cruise in May/June of 2017 with a combined land vacation in Europe with many of our family members (at least 8 cabins). They are leaving it up to me to make the plans as I seem to be the unofficial family vacation planner. Since the itineraries will not be out yet for 2017 I was thinking that a FCC would be an appropriate purchase on the PC cruise this one time. I won't be doing that now. If I did purchase one I would certainly be looking primarily at RCI for our Med adventure. But now I will probably be looking at all the cruise lines and putting the best options among them all up to a family vote - and I am the only one in the family with loyal ties to RCI. We are Diamond, so we do have an interest is staying with RCI, but none of the people going with us are above Gold. We will see who has the best itinerary for the money.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

I have a different take on this. Upper tier C&A members actually book more volume. They are not the once a year cruise type of people, and they will be hit the hardest by this. The perks we receive cost the cruise line very little.

I agree with this. Plus there are many other facets to loyalty programs that not only bring new business but that new business becomes repeat business and further's the company's marketing (you essentially create advocates for your brand) which is why businesses use them. They will try to cut corners where they can but they don't want to lose those advocates (free marketing) and they are still competing with other businesses who are offering loyalty programs at the same time.

If I'm not going to have the flexibility to change things if the need arises, then I see no reason to continue to book on-board. Since my husband and I book suites, we have to pay the full $1,000 deposit anyway, so that part of the benefit is lost for us. If I would lose any OBC with a change to the reservation, then I have no incentive to make my reservations when I'm on a ship.

I'll keep my $1,000 X several booked cruises in my bank account until I'm ready to hand it over!:)

Edited by Cindy

I have said for awhile that I was going to start booking after final payment and this time that is exactly what I am going to do. I have picked my week and I'm watching three cruises. Which ever one has the best deal for the cabin category I want is the cruise I'm taking. And I already have my flights booked. If nothing works out I'll cancel the flights and get the credit. I love Southwest.:)

This past year I knew our Allure cruise was over priced. Two weeks before sailing pricing dropped so much that I had a choice to upgrade to any cabin category below a JS. If I had waited to book I would have saved much more money than any OBC that I could have ever obtained by any method. It is fine that RCI is trying to do the best it can for its bank account. And there is nothing wrong with me doing the same for mine. And if everyone else adopted this strategy the cruise lines would find themselves in a very big predicament.

Yep, you're exactly right! Its the flights that make that difficult for many. Although I'm a Lifetime Platinum on American, I have to agree with you - thank goodness for Southwest! Even moreso for us, now that they've finally done away with the Wright Amendment. Our non-stop choices on Southwest are getting dramatically better this fall, starting with our non-stops to/from Ft. Lauderdale for our November cruise!

I mentioned above about trying to get a price adjustment after a price drop (as we have had in the past) and in a later posting someone said that if you are outside of the US it is a different story. Trouble is for us - when we ring RCI on our local number it is immediately diverted to the US, so we speak to the same reps as you do!

Lets face it.....

...As long as people keep sailing with RCI and profits continue to rise then they can (and seem to) do whatever they feel helps to boost their investment returns.

Royal Caribbean reports better than expected second quarter 2014 results

It does appear to be all money grabbing and profits.

There is likely more truth to this than you may think. If they can fill ships with people who get no rewards, they will. They would rather have a ship full of first timers than a ship full of D/D+/Pins.

My wild, slightly educated guess on this is that they are putting practices into play which don't encourage D++ cruisers as much - hoping that they still fill the beds- hopefully with more people who have less rewards to cash in on. Let's face it - they could care less if D+ cruiser ever booked another cruise - IF they can sell that cabin to someone else. It's not as though they like you and want to catch up on your grandkids' lives :D

That is an interesting theory. If I did not care so much about my returning patients but wanted to fill my days up with new patients I'd soon find myself bankrupt.

If this happens, I'd never book another unless it's a cruise I really intend to take. I normally don't have any firm plans while on board. We're normally at home when we see the deal we want.

I have no more next cruise bookings left and will book no more of them. I booked 2 real cruises as far out as they can be in order to use them to change to whatever I want when I want to. Those are the last 2 I'll book on board if they make this change.

Gina

I can appreciate the sentiment. Fortunately for us, since I booked Allure while on Jewel in 2012 we have went on our annual cruise knowing what our next cruise definitely would be at its been 7 day cruises so the changes hadn't affected me yet, till getting the balcony discount and the full OBC. I booked Freedom while on Jewel at the beginning of the BOGOHO and got a great deal. I've finally decided on Oasis for 2016 which I intend to book on the first Sea Day on Freedom next April. My biggest problem with that booking was expected to be booking with the Emerald balcony discount on the ship and then calling back a couple of weeks later go get the Diamond discount after we get back because that cruise will make me Diamond.. I think it was my 2013 Allure cruise I booked in 2012 on Jewel, I was Platinum when I booked it, but I had to call in 2 weeks after that cruise to get my Emerald Balcony discount. I'm anticipating if I do that on Freedom maybe they won't let me call back in after I'm diamond and get the additional discount. We will see.

Yes, folks you are going to hear a lot from me in the next 200 days about becoming Diamond. :)

Edited by BillOh

I mentioned above about trying to get a price adjustment after a price drop (as we have had in the past) and in a later posting someone said that if you are outside of the US it is a different story. Trouble is for us - when we ring RCI on our local number it is immediately diverted to the US, so we speak to the same reps as you do!

How many times did you call? If you only called once, I'd call again and talk to someone else. Quite often, different reps will treat the same problem in different ways.

YMMV

I think it was my 2013 Allure cruise I booked in 2012 on Jewel, I was Platinum when I booked it, but I had to call in 2 weeks after that cruise to get my Emerald Balcony discount. I'm anticipating if I do that on Freedom maybe they won't let me call back in after I'm diamond and get the additional discount. We will see.

I think you will be able to get your new discount, but they will reprice your cruise to current rates. So you are fine as long as your price stays the same.

I can appreciate the sentiment. Fortunately for us, since I booked Allure while on Jewel in 2012 we have went on our annual cruise knowing what our next cruise definitely would be at its been 7 day cruises so the changes hadn't affected me yet, till getting the balcony discount and the full OBC. I booked Freedom while on Jewel at the beginning of the BOGOHO and got a great deal. I've finally decided on Oasis for 2016 which I intend to book on the first Sea Day on Freedom next April. My biggest problem with that booking was expected to be booking with the Emerald balcony discount on the ship and then calling back a couple of weeks later go get the Diamond discount after we get back because that cruise will make me Diamond.. I think it was my 2013 Allure cruise I booked in 2012 on Jewel, I was Platinum when I booked it, but I had to call in 2 weeks after that cruise to get my Emerald Balcony discount. I'm anticipating if I do that on Freedom maybe they won't let me call back in after I'm diamond and get the additional discount. We will see.

Yes, folks you are going to hear a lot from me in the next 200 days about becoming Diamond. :)

From what I have been reading, like Marci said they will most likely re-price your reservation at the current rate if you call for the higher discount.

Very sad:o

There is likely more truth to this than you may think. If they can fill ships with people who get no rewards, they will. They would rather have a ship full of first timers than a ship full of D/D+/Pins.

My wild, slightly educated guess on this is that they are putting practices into play which don't encourage D++ cruisers as much - hoping that they still fill the beds- hopefully with more people who have less rewards to cash in on. Let's face it - they could care less if D+ cruiser ever booked another cruise - IF they can sell that cabin to someone else. It's not as though they like you and want to catch up on your grandkids' lives :D

I agree! However when they cannot fill a ship who do they fall back on - their repeat cruisers!

I think you will be able to get your new discount, but they will reprice your cruise to current rates. So you are fine as long as your price stays the same.

From what I have been reading, like Marci said they will most likely re-price your reservation at the current rate if you call for the higher discount.

Very sad:o

Yes, this is how it works. We just turned Diamond so I did call to see if i could get the diamond discount applied to my upcoming cruises. For 2 the price was higher and would negate the increased discount. For the 3rd, however, the price was still the same so they were able to apply the diamond discount.

The bottom line is they will gladly apply the new levels discount, BUT they will reprice at the current rate. It is up to you to determine if it is worth it or not.

I do agree with many here, RCI is pushing away its most loyal customers. I think the C & A ranks grew a bit faster than they anticipated and are now needing to trim it back a bit. Why book a cabin with someone who has a large discount when you can book that same cabin for full price with a newbie??? Of course, when things are slow who do they come back offering even more discounts. Hopefully it will level out shortly. We will see.

Your booking should not be re-priced if you are moving within the same exact category.

Of course, Royal can change their rules anytime, without notice, but that's the way it's been in my memory.

It seems if the price will change, either up or down, due to the change you are making the cruise will be re-priced. Moving from one cabin to another in the same category, the price stays.

Of course, there have been some who have reported changing a dining time and having the cruise re-priced. So far that have been corrected and put back to the original price.