The Explorer in the Pacific.

drron29

This was an initiative I believe of the Silverseas Expedition teams.This was set up on this occasion by the ship's doctor who asked for volunteers.4 of us helped out.We saw 72 patients over 2 hours.

For myself I could only diagnose problems but they virtually all brought along their health record book so I was able to write my thoughts and suggestions.Often though it was really just educational such as trying to explain to a chronic asthmatic that she should continue to use her preventer spray.

So no I could not prescribe medication but my notes are helping Silverseas to see what medicines they can bring along to donate to these remote communities.Also seeing if they can coordinate visits with the visiting district nurse who is allowed to prescribe here.Have also suggested simple tools to aid in such clinics.

And Rachel is right.The cataracts are due to high UV exposure.In Australia they become more frequent the further north you live.

With the Discoverer doing many voyages in these waters I would hope these clinics become a regular thing.

Hooah (meaning in US Army speak, good/great) Dr. and Mrs Ron...what a wonderful significant difference in the health/future health of these folks y'all made. Echo what JP said above..Bravo!

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Another nice day in Tufi,PNG.Brilliant colours,friendly people and interesting stories.However the Silverseas Travel Journal has been causing problems as it is totally erroneous.

Today for example it had us arriving at Tufi at 0700 instead of 1230.It then said you would board canoes from the ship for a morning trip up a "fjord".Some got very upset that there was to be no canoe trip so it was arranged from the village.However this required a zodiac trip up river.Problem was no zodiac left to provide shuttle to ship for those not wanting to do the canoe trip.A failure in communication with those waiting at village told it would be a 20 minute wait which turned into over a 90 minute wait.

Good view of the eclipse of the moon.

However we are stuck.over 4 hours trying to raise anchor which is stuck on the bottom.Rumoured we have to wait until divers arrive.

Well within a couple of minutes of my post last night the anchor was recovered and we left just in time to make our first stop this morning-the Dei Dei hot springs.Really interesting.Not the most spectacular hot springs but very extensive and nearly every sort of formation.A couple of small geysers but they were active pretty well all the time.

Also lots of birds with several parrots and cockatoos.Later groups saw a hornbill.Also lots of flowers with several terrestrial orchids.Also the Kaukau Anaboisi-spelling might be wrong but the local name for the pitcher plant.I saw a strange bird which I called the longtail black sort of bird.Told the birders who said I had seen the black Bird of Paradise.

Absolutely ideal conditions in a spectacular setting.Also lucky to be in first group off so the heat wasn't too bad.

And a hope of good weather to those on the Discoverer which is a few days behind us.Meant to be at Ifalik today but I see a powerful typhoon north of Guam-the same area that caused the seas that prevented us from landing.But if you don't make it there you are going to have a great time in PNG.

A quick update on the medical clinic at Tuam.It was all the result of the ship's doctor-Dr.Joel a family practitioner from California.I have commended him to Silverseas.

In the afternoon after a very short repositioning to Dobu Island.Whilst that was occurring we had a really good lunch with spare ribs,buffalo wings and really tasty short rib.

Dobu island is the typical tropical island paradise-but only if you are visiting.As usual a local fellow attached himself as my guide-they do not expect anything for doing so.It turned out that he was the bulder on the island and proudly showed us what he had built at the school and the new hall that he is building for the women's fellowship-it is an Uniting church mission school.He learnt his trade from his late uncle who built a lot more of the school.

The school though is very basic and in most classrooms the children sit on the floor.Same goes for the "hospital".Although the island has a population of 2000 and has 2 nurses no doctor visits the island.The islanders have to go to neighbouring islands if they need to see a doctor.

I ended up by embarrassing a young girl.I introduce myself as Ron and her name is Rhonda.Her companions then started chanting "Ron,Rhonda".Pointing to us alternately.I thought she was blushing.A great day.

Internet has become flaky again.Once more unable to upload photos.Picasaweb wont even load.

As to the clinics this was an idea of the ship's doctor.However the feedback to Silverseas has obviously been good.The coconut telegraph has worked well and we have been told the agent in Vanuatu would like us to do a clinic tomorrow at Loh island.Apparently the people there have never seen a doctor.

It is not just for medicos.I am a Consultant Physician/Internist and so are of little practical health but can make suggestions and do some screening.I will be talking to Dr.Joel later on and I guess he will liase with Silverseas.Nurses,paramedics etc would probably be of more practical help than I.Another thing mrsdrron has suggested would be bringing along any extra reading glasses-she has been asked by the locals if she has a spare pair more than once.

But an update on the cruise.The day after Dobu Island was a sea day and the Venetian Cocktail party and dinner.We ate with the staff Engineer and got the real story of the anchor.We heard some unusual sounds so Ann asked him if he could tell if anything was wrong just by hearing the sound from the engines.He said he could but that noise was coming from the staff dining room who were having their BBQ that evening.

Saturday it was Honiara,the capital of the Solomon Islands on Guadacanal.A necessary stop for Immigration and customs.Most went off to a village but we just wandered the town.I had been here in 1969 and brought the family back in 1980.I wanted to remember it the way it was.

Sunday and Santa Ana Island.Fabulous.The inter island ferry was in and as usual packed to the rafters.A great welcome show climaxing with the Santa Ana mudmen which brought the house down.The locals though had more laughs first when a British woman joined the dancing and then when an older local woman invited me out for a dance.I had learnt the right moves from the witch doctor on Dobu.It really brought the house down.Unkinder people described the style as twerking.

I had my first snorkel here.Not a great reef but I was under instruction from the grand daughters to get a photo of Nemo.I succeeded.

Monday and at Malo.Our last stop in the Solomons.I rate it as the highlight.A completely different style of dancing to any previous village.Though I once again performed at the end to the delight of the locals.

Another snorkelling session in the afternoon with a greater variety of fish and corals but no Nemo.Now off to Vanuatu.

Saturday it was Honiara,the capital of the Solomon Islands on Guadacanal.A necessary stop for Immigration and customs.

Sunday and Santa Ana Island.Fabulous.The inter island ferry was in and as usual packed to the rafters.A great welcome show climaxing with the Santa Ana mudmen which brought the house down.

I'm very much enjoying your bulletins from the SW Pacific. I did a similar trip on the Orion in 2009 and repeated it earlier this year on the Caledonian Sky, both similar ships to yours which I knew as the Clipper Odyssey.

I didn't think I'd like Honiara but it turned out to be one of the best stops of the trip. I was particularly impressed by the US war memorial as well as other WWII sites which we toured. In 2009 we sailed across Iron Bottom Sound to Ngella Island to snorkel around the wreck of the World Discoverer.

In 2009 the island ceremony on Santa Ana was amazing - but in 2014 all of the women wore tops. In 2009 they were all topless. We were told that some American tourists with strong religious beliefs had complained to the village leaders so they all covered up.

Edited by Fletcher

I'm very much enjoying your bulletins from the SW Pacific. I did a similar trip on the Orion in 2009 and repeated it earlier this year on the Caledonian Sky, both similar ships to yours which I knew as the Clipper Odyssey.

I didn't think I'd like Honiara but it turned out to be one of the best stops of the trip. I was particularly impressed by the US war memorial as well as other WWII sites which we toured. In 2009 we sailed across Iron Bottom Sound to Ngella Island to snorkel around the wreck of the World Discoverer.

In 2009 the island ceremony on Santa Ana was amazing - but in 2014 all of the women wore tops. In 2009 they were all topless. We were told that some American tourists with strong religious beliefs had complained to the village leaders so they all covered up.

Only covered by some flimsy grass ornaments in 2014.

Having been to Honiara in 1969 it colours my impressions.It was a friendly and clean place.There was still an American fighter nose down in the main street,landing craft on the beaches and you snorkelled in the clear waters of Honiara harbour with tanks still underwater.

Sadly Independence has not brought happiness.

First day in Vanuatu and it is Loh Island.Have been told it is isolated so another medical clinic.Together we only see about 20 patients but that is 10% of the population.People here are more obese and I do diagnose a woman with diabetes but also heart disease.Sad as at home she would have been admitted to hospital and by now she would have had an angiogram.

There is we find out an American doctor on a nearby island full time.I have recommended to the nurse she be sent there but when it might happen who knows.

By the afternoon the wind becomes heavier with a significant swell so snorkelling is cancelled.

Wednesday is Rano Island.A real tropical paradise.The dancing is a little disorganised but very different to before.Much more organised village with lots of gardens.Snorkelling in the afternoon but the reef is being attacked by the Crown of Thorns starfish so fairly degraded.

The pictures are now loaded for Vanimo and Ali Island in PNG-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/fiji-long-way-our-last-62529-6.html#post1130626

So today was the last excursion of the cruise.Tanna Island and the village of Port Resolution.Overnight there was a heavy swell.The forecast was for strengthening winds and rain.

Fortunately the forecast was a little out.Nice fine day,lowest humidity of this cruise but still a fair swell.All the zodiacs got off and again another entirely different dancing display.

Then by pick up truck to the village.The primary school kids put on a show for us.Kids do get to you.They have a computer room but unfortunately no power.They do at times use a generator.Here would be a great place for solar power but it would have to be donated.

I didn't really feel like doing a zodiac trip back to the ship for lunch so stayed on the island.Walked back from the village to the landing site with Chris the birder.Once reaching the landing site I took off on my own along a rough track.People stopped and asked if I wanted to be shown around so I did visit a small settlement on the lagoon.

In the afternoon it was back on the trucks for a very rough ride to the Mt.Yasur volcano.It put on a great show rumbling and roaring and frequently throwing up great chunks of lava.Fortunately the ride back was a little smoother.Got the second zodiac back to the boat.The swell had increased since the morning and I had a wait before I got off.

A nice long soak in a hot bath for tonight is the Captain's farewell.

Here would be a great place for solar power but it would have to be donated.

Really good to read your bulletins. The solar power thing is interesting. On Vanikoro Island in the Solomons our cruise company, Noble Caledonia, was partially funding a project for the village. Here's a photo:

Vanikoro, Solomon Islands

Thursday night is the Captain's farewell.It is the roughest night of our time from Otaru.Winds 70+Kmph and swell up to 3 metres.Made for a quite disturbed nights sleep.

Friday is a sea day and there is no change in the weather conditions.This brings me to one of the disappointments of this second leg.For the last 2 weeks we would say to the restaurant manager that we would like to share a table.He would seat us at a table for 4 saying he would send another"pleasant"couple to dine with us.Except it didn't happen.So on the last night we dined in our suite.

Another sleepless night.But before retiring it was announced that because of the conditions we would be 2 hours late into Lautoka.So we emailed our transfer to put the pickup time back 2 hours.Of course at breakfast on Saturday it was announced we had made up time o disembarkation was on time.Our fellow wasn't answering his phone.The hotel manager left a message for him and fortunately he was there to meet us.

Some thoughts on Silverseas to finish is next.

First we definitely love the Explorer.It is our type of ship.Most of the passengers feel that way about it.On our first leg from Otaru to Guam there was only 1 person that was not a repeat customer.From Guam to Fiji 11 meaning 102 repeat customers with a combined total of over 20000 nights.^^ of us over 100 nights.To make the top 10 you needed 350 nights.

But it is an expedition ship which may not suit anyone.Only 1 dining room though in warmer areas there is Hot Rocks on the Pool deck.The food this time was amongst the best on any Silverseas ship we have experienced.This will depend on the chef-Pia was very good.

Itinerary-perfect for us.I would thoroughly recommend South Pacific Expedition cruising.not only should the passengers enjoy it but certainly on Silverseas you will benefit the villages you visit as SS pays them directly,not through an agent.As I was told more than once by locals this sort of tourism is also keeping the traditions and customs alive.

However the problem is larger ships are now starting.In PNG Crystal I believe it is are visiting the Trobriand Islands and according to our Expedition leader are destroying what they came to enjoy.

We also try and help by buying the local handicrafts.Mostly these are given away even to the ship's crew.We never bargain as we figure we are a lot better off than the locals.It is definitely better to do this than just giving money out which just encourages them to believe they don't have to work to improve their lot.

I would also think of bringing old spectacles and school supplies such as pens,pencils,paper and exercise books.These are appreciated by the locals.