C & A balcony discount after upgrade

I am aware of the rule (225 out side of 6 months and 200 inside of 6 months). What surprised me was that my c & a discount (225) I received 9 months ago was reduced to 200 after an upgrade from JS to CL (I am 2 months from sailing). RC agent said this is correct, so I guess I have to accept it and move on.

I am aware of the rule (225 out side of 6 months and 200 inside of 6 months). What surprised me was that my c & a discount (225) I received 9 months ago was reduced to 200 after an upgrade from JS to CL (I am 2 months from sailing). RC agent said this is correct, so I guess I have to accept it and move on.

Yes, it's been happening to others too. Any time your do something concerning price to your booking in the last 6 mo before the cruise, they ding you $25.

Yes, it's been happening to others too. Any time your do something concerning price to your booking in the last 6 mo before the cruise, they ding you $25.

So sad that when upgrading you're dinged :mad:

OP did not say they were "offered" an upgrade. I'm sure they did what many of us do - notice a better price on a better cabin on a cruise we have booked, and pay to upgrade to it. I know it's business, but we are spending more money and our booking number is not changing and they are getting a lower priced cabin to put back into inventory - why penalize us for that?

So don't accept the upgrade - it's not mandatory.

BTW - I've never had or been offered one.

Wait till you're in that position...you won't feel so smug!

The balcony discount is an earned perk which is nice to have. We all look for a better deal or cabin. There's something about RC taking back part of the perk after paying an additional $800 for an upgraded cabin. I feel it's nickle and diming...it's happening more and more.

OP did not say they were "offered" an upgrade. I'm sure they did what many of us do - notice a better price on a better cabin on a cruise we have booked, and pay to upgrade to it. I know it's business, but we are spending more money and our booking number is not changing and they are getting a lower priced cabin to put back into inventory - why penalize us for that?

Exactly the jest of my post too...Why do so many on these boards jump to the negative...Penalizing us for paying to upgrade is ridiculous...the cabin I'm upgrading from was more than likely a lot less and now RCI is making more on it...and getting more from me.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you are spending $800 more on your cruise and they are penalizing you $25 of your loyalty discount for doing it.

It is just absurd. If you have the same booking number, which shows your date of initial booking, which should be over 6 months, I don't see how they can do that.

I would call back.

I am pretty sure that I have read on here that someone who escalated it got there additional discount.

I think I will call on Monday and escalate the issue as you suggested. I will post their response.

Wait till you're in that position...you won't feel so smug!

The balcony discount is an earned perk which is nice to have. We all look for a better deal or cabin. There's something about RC taking back part of the perk after paying an additional $800 for an upgraded cabin. I feel it's nickle and diming...it's happening more and more.

I guess I don't get it, if that's what the policy is then accept it or move on (lots of other lines out there with perks not even close to RCCL). Its still a $200 Loyalty perk that the other guy isn't getting, plus I assume this is the Diamond discount, so with your 3 drink coupons that's another up to $168. What is the total price of the cruise? 2k? 3K? and we're all upset over $25?

$2000 cruise $368 in Loyalty savings=$18% savings

$3000 cruise $368 in Loyalty savings=$12% savings

(Not counting the loaded coupons)

I don't know, I think that's still pretty good. :)

I guess I don't sweat what I think is the small stuff.....:rolleyes:

It's 25 bucks......it's really not worth the aggravation (IMHO) of course:cool:

Edited by whitshel

I guess I don't get it, if that's what the policy is then accept it or move on (lots of other lines out there with perks not even close to RCCL). Its still a $200 Loyalty perk that the other guy isn't getting, plus I assume this is the Diamond discount, so with your 3 drink coupons that's another up to $168. What is the total price of the cruise? 2k? 3K? and we're all upset over $25?

$2000 cruise $368 in Loyalty savings=$18% savings

$3000 cruise $368 in Loyalty savings=$12% savings

(Not counting the loaded coupons)

I don't know, I think that's still pretty good. :)

I guess I don't sweat what I think is the small stuff.....:rolleyes:

It's 25 bucks......it's really not worth the aggravation (IMHO) of course:cool:

The amount lost - $25 - is a small drop in the bucket for my cruise for 2 that cost well over $5,000. For me it is the principal - this was not a new booking - it retains same booking # with only change being an upgrade to a more expensive suite. I agree with others on this board that RCI is nickel and dining us.

I do disagree with this quote from the poster above (lots of other lines out there with perks not even close to RCCL).

We sail Celebrity and Princess also and have received equal and often better benefits.

For instance Princess offers a military discount to anyone who has served and has an honorable discharge .

$50 to 250 based on the length of the cruise.

Onboard booking credit of $100 when future cruise certificate is purchased (same as RC

All fares are discounted for past passengers and during promotions OBC per person is $100 and up.

I have an upcoming 3 day cruise on Princess in a mini suite with a discounted total fare of $900 for 2 and a $300 OBC.

We are elites on Celebrity which is the same as diamond status and receive the same complimentary drinks that RC offers. Celebrity has frequent promotions in which they offer a choice of free classic beverage pkg ($65 per day on RC), free gratuities or OBC. A while back I had a 7 day European cruise in which I received $400 OBC and the free classic drink package.

Both Celebrity and Princess provide a value discount coupon book also

For me it is the principal - this was not a new booking - it retains same booking # with only change being an upgrade to a bigger suite. I agree with others on this board that RCI is nickel and diming us.

If this is their new policy, they need to state it in black and white. I have no problem when I find the rules and exceptions stated. However, I am somewhat doubtful when a customer service agent tells me that is just the way it is when a booking is repriced.

The amount lost - $25 - is a small drop in the bucket for my cruise for 2 that cost well over $5,000. For me it is the principal - this was not a new booking - it retains same booking # with only change being an upgrade to a more expensive suite. I agree with others on this board that RCI is nickel and dining us.

I do disagree with this quote from the poster above (lots of other lines out there with perks not even close to RCCL).

We sail Celebrity and Princess also and have received equal and often better benefits.

For instance Princess offers a military discount to anyone who has served and has an honorable discharge .

$50 to 250 based on the length of the cruise.

Onboard booking credit of $100 when future cruise certificate is purchased (same as RC

All fares are discounted for past passengers and during promotions OBC per person is $100 and up.

I have an upcoming 3 day cruise on Princess in a mini suite with a discounted total fare of $900 for 2 and a $300 OBC.

We are elites on Celebrity which is the same as diamond status and receive the same complimentary drinks that RC offers. Celebrity has frequent promotions in which they offer a choice of free classic beverage pkg ($65 per day on RC), free gratuities or OBC. A while back I had a 7 day European cruise in which I received $400 OBC and the free classic drink package.

Both Celebrity and Princess provide a value discount coupon book also

For me it is the principal - this was not a new booking - it retains same booking # with only change being an upgrade to a bigger suite. I agree with others on this board that RCI is nickel and diming us.

If this is their new policy, they need to state it in black and white. I have no problem when I find the rules and exceptions stated. However, I am somewhat doubtful when a customer service agent tells me that is just the way it is when a booking is repriced.

I completely understand where your coming from. I just dont think $25 is worth getting all worked up over especially since you spent 5k on the cruise whether its in black and white or not. We all know booking under 6 months nets a $25 loss on the balcony discount. This must be new or a change in policy when you re-book or upgrade. Even if this was in black and white when you originally booked, would have not booked this cruise knowing you may lose $25 if you changed your cabin? Just wondering?:confused:

I don't know Princess but Celebrity certainly doesn't give you a $225 Loyalty discount to book a balcony. (I'm guessing Princess doesn't either) Plus with the Promotion from Celebrity with the free drink packages, have you seen their rates? This is definitely work into your fare.

And the last time I checked RCCL gives you a nice coupon book especially for diamond members.

Again I get your point and understand the principle thing but for $25 I don't think they appreciate your loyalty any less. :o