Specialty Restaurants

Oville

Are you saying those who book exp 4 get priority online booking over those who are shelling out the cash?

I don't know if priority is the correct word. The way I understand it is that they prebook these people in. Even if they don't that's part of the package so those folks will be taking up spaces for "paying" customers. No one is getting the explore4 free. The prices of cruises reflect that even if people don't realize it so it's not really free.

if you book on line will you still be charged on your credit card up front and then get a credit on your ship account after you dine?

That's what happened to us. We received a credit for the prepay, and canceled the American Express Platinum reservation. A caveat, however - there's no guarantee that the ship has to credit you. You could be stuck with a paid reservation and a free Explore 4 reservation. It's a risk you need to be comfortable with taking on.

Are you saying those who book exp 4 get priority online booking over those who are shelling out the cash?

I don't know if priority is the correct word. The way I understand it is that they prebook these people in. Even if they don't that's part of the package so those folks will be taking up spaces for "paying" customers. No one is getting the explore4 free. The prices of cruises reflect that even if people don't realize it so it's not really free.

My understanding is that those who book and pay in advance get their choice of day/time based on what is available at time of making the reservation. Those who have the Explore4 PG dinner are booked around those advance reservations.

My understanding is that those who book and pay in advance get their choice of day/time based on what is available at time of making the reservation. Those who have the Explore4 PG dinner are booked around those advance reservations.

Absolutely. That's why so many people choose to book in advance.

Explore 4 reservations can only be booked onboard the ship...not in advance. This could possibly make for quite a 1st day que.

Not quite true. HAL books the Explore4 reservations for those passengers and notifies them via a reservation card placed in the room on embarkation day. If the day/time is not suitable, it is suggested that you try to reschedule the reservation as soon as possible. This can be done via telephone, too. And they may not be able to accommodate your preferred day/time.

Wondering IF we book through the website for our upcoming cruise do we still get the 25% discount on the dinner's?

Yes. Booking will be at full price on your credit card. You will have to wait to get the discount on your on-board bill.

Yes. Booking will be at full price on your credit card. You will have to wait to get the discount on your on-board bill.

Just FOUND the answer on a thread a bit further down.

THANKS

Edited by hugger

Mostly it's about getting the time & date you want. Ironically, the sold out restaurants often look half empty to the untrained eye. And by untrained eye, I mean normal, regular people like me. It's all very mysterious. Perhaps some of the tables and chairs are just props. :)

In a dining venue of this sort they assume a normal table will take about two hours to settle, order, eat, linger a bit over coffee and then leave.

They can't book a table at 7 knowing someone will be there at 6. Nor can they book one at 8 if they have a 7 coming in. This gives the appearance of empty tables when they are in fact already booked. Also some folks eat more quickly than others and that can also throw off the timing to a small degree.

See my previous post above.

No one can book any specialty restaurants starting with January bookings.

Until they decide whether they are going to sign another contract for Le Cirque, we are all on hold for now.

We have booked Le Cirque for our May 2015 Veendam cruise.

And I can't book anything in January, go figure.

I don't understand it either:confused:. PG and Canaletto were also available for booking for our May cruise. And we have booked several excursions. Like I said, I don't understand why it's all available for May and not for cruises earlier in the year, but I'm happy to be planning this far out. Makes the time go by faster.:)